'15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '15 NY SF Ryan Preston (URI JUCO Transfer)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

SPG, Dan won't play him if he isn't skilled enough to play good defense.

I can see Berry getting more minutes against weak competition....but against teams with good frontcourts, no.

I don't see a magic transformation into a good defensive player....he's a senior this year...if he hasn't shown it by now, he isn't going to.

Layssard supposedly has the same issues.....he can score but lacking on D......and really who knows if Preston can defend at this level?

Teams will gang up on Cyril....and if he gets in foul trouble we're in trouble.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have faith people will step up to replace some front court minutes. Lots of movement though with new roles.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't want Akele starting he is nothing more than a reserve
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i agree reef..

and despite his size..

he is not a "big man" in my opinion as he isnt a low post player
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Agreed. Laysard is rumored to be a shooter. He also seems to be taller than Langevine? Could be the guy.

Tertsea being much taller than Cyril. Would offer a very physical front line on paper. Although we haven't seen him play.

Berry is the savvy veteran that everyone sees for his weaknesses and not his strengths.

I want a summer video series on the team bad.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Berry is the savvy veteran that everyone sees for his weaknesses and not his strengths.
Haha I could argue quite the opposite about Berry. Some people think that above-average ability to score in the post negates very poor defense. Hurley disagrees. So do I.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

sf2010 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Berry is the savvy veteran that everyone sees for his weaknesses and not his strengths.
Haha I could argue quite the opposite about Berry. Some people think that above-average ability to score in the post negates very poor defense. Hurley disagrees. So do I.
I am personally hoping the winner is Tertsea/Laysard
1 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

ramster wrote:
rhodywins wrote:I believe that many of the fans in the Northeast do not understand how good JUCO basketball is in areas like Texas, Kansas, Cal and Florida.. We look at CCRI and think that is what JUCO ball is . CCRI wouldn't have a player in the last ten years that would start on the Trinity team. The better teams would handle many of the lower level NCAA teams with some making the top hundred every year. Preston is one of 5 players on his team getting a scholarship to a legit NCAA program. The Trinity team would walk all over a team like Bryant. Preston may be a lot better than many of us think.
CCRI is Division 2 for NCAAJC Basketball. You are right that CCRI plays at a lower level.

I like that URI MBB kept open the last scholarship, hoping for signing a guy like Shakur Juiston who was NCAAJC Division 1 POY and we were in the running for. Also had the possibility of landing a 5th Year or transfer player. As it worked out we had a number of players work out with our own players and in front of our own Coaching staff and the determination was made that the best available fit for our team was Ryan Preston.

I would not infer much from the Teams that were also interested or also offered since at this time of year the pickings are the slimmest of the time period for recruiting 2017 players. In addition, other schools also have last minute holes to fill.

So going by the stats for Preston:
118-205 on FGs for 57.6% - not bad
1-15 on 3FGs - not too good, I'd put my money on Jonathon Holton :oops:
30-48 FTs for 62.5% meh
6.4 rebounds per game ranked him 17th Overall and 10th in Conference
For offensive rebounds Preston ranked 12th Overall and 5th in Conference
For blocked shots he ranked 23rd Overall and 23rd in Conference
Points per game were 8.6 Overall and 9.4 in Conference

While the stats say he started only 4 games I would not trust those stats since 26 of his 31 games played show he only played 1 minute in each - obviously something wrong here

Going to his last 4 games to see how he did:
Navarro JC won 90-72: 4-6 FGs, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 blocks, 8 points
@ Tyler JC lost 76-73: 2-5 FGs, 1-2 FTs, 9 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 points
Kilgore College won 80-69: 4-6 FGs, rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 8 points
Angelina College lost 76-72: 4-8 FGs, 1-2 FTs, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, 9 points

Akele, Preston, Tertsea, Layssard and Berry to now battle for the 5th starting spot.

Good job with your research. Thanks.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:
Yes. With Berry, it's not about his individual strengths/weaknesses. It's about the fit. With the core group they have, they win with a focus on defense. They messed around a little last year thinking they had more on offense then they ended up with, but it was the refocusing on defense (and improved health) that made the season successful. When Berry comes in, they have to go zone on defense, and the other team knows it and attacks. Zone can be effective for specific, brief periods of time (end of the first half of the VCU game comes to mind), but it takes away what this team has consistently done best. Every player on this team is easy to root for, and Andre is no exception.

And, of course, welcome Ryan!
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This kid looks like a certifiable beast. We got a steal here an under the radar find
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote:
Yes. With Berry, it's not about his individual strengths/weaknesses. It's about the fit. With the core group they have, they win with a focus on defense. They messed around a little last year thinking they had more on offense then they ended up with, but it was the refocusing on defense (and improved health) that made the season successful. When Berry comes in, they have to go zone on defense, and the other team knows it and attacks. Zone can be effective for specific, brief periods of time (end of the first half of the VCU game comes to mind), but it takes away what this team has consistently done best. Every player on this team is easy to root for, and Andre is no exception.

And, of course, welcome Ryan!
Ace you hit the nail on the head about Berry. I'm afraid Layssard may have a similar situation
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Wow that kid sure looks athletic!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Why did Ryan go the Juco route instead of playing Division 1 straight out of high school ???
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

In reference to other options- "And unlike some available 5th year transfers from lower-tier D1 programs, there’s no question about Preston’s athletic ability translating to the Atlantic 10 level."

It's nice to have something to read by Chris on the Rams again. I think he's spot-on with Ryan- he just has to fit and play a strong complimentary role.

(posted in 2017-18 Season thread, too)
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The first criteria was that the transfer had to be able to defend the 4 position. Not all of the players they looked at could do that. Ryan could.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice article, great to add these 2 to the mix
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He's really got some ups. Very athletic. I'm excited to see him play this year.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If you recall, in one of Disano's summer articles he had an interview with EC where he said that Ryan was more athletic than Hass.
That is saying something, and yes I'll take that.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:If you recall, in one of Disano's summer articles he had an interview with EC where he said that Ryan was more athletic than Hass.
That is saying something, and yes I'll take that.
His vertical is around 40, or something crazy like that. I think only Fatts had a higher vertical.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rebound, block shots and dunk. That's really all we need out of the 4 position. Our best lineup for BCS teams will be with him out there at the 4 IMO. Berry and Langevine splitting time at the 5. Akele for spot duty at 3/4 but IMO he is going to be too frail to guard high level bigs we will see in OOC and NCAAT. He's not Iverson.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was very impressed with Preston at the pre-Bermuda open practice.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If Preston can get the job done defensively, he'll get plenty of run this year. Excited to see him become an important contributor once he gets comfortable.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I see some alley oops going to this kid this year...a long athletic kid who can jump out of the building...kind of like Ullmer, except stronger. I saw him at the practice too. I didn't realize what a strong upper body he has.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

People always mislabel a couple players from the 05-10 teams.

This guy is getting billing for what his floor can be.

Would be nice if he bumped up against his ceiling.

I’m dying for a final four run.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

RIP Ryan :(
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Very sad news.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

3 x