'18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Notre Dame verbal)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
adam914
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '18 MA PF Chris Doherty

Unread postby adam914 » 2 months ago

Blue Man wrote:Do we take it if he verbals and deal with 5 in this class if we're fortunate enough to lock in Harris and Adams/another guard?

I think this will probably be what it comes down to right here. Unless Dan knows for sure Harris is going to commit, I think you deal with the unbalanced classes again if things happen to fall this way.
0 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

Blue Man wrote:I do wonder in situations like this - Harris is clearly our #1 target at this position, and we want another guard for sure - that's a given.

We do have 5 schollys but I know Dan wants to space out the classes and not have to recruit 5 every 4 years (great sign for a coach planning to be here for a while), so I believe we're only going to take 4.

However, while waiting for Harris to decide - what do we do about a kid like Doherty? I think he's going to be a stud as well, and you always want good players no matter how it lines up.

Do we slow the recruiting of him down? Do we take it if he verbals and deal with 5 in this class if we're fortunate enough to lock in Harris and Adams/another guard?

Not sure if anything's changed, but Doherty said he wants to make his decision January 5th. That's his grandfather's birthday and they're very close.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I do wonder in situations like this - Harris is clearly our #1 target at this position, and we want another guard for sure - that's a given.

We do have 5 schollys but I know Dan wants to space out the classes and not have to recruit 5 every 4 years (great sign for a coach planning to be here for a while), so I believe we're only going to take 4.

However, while waiting for Harris to decide - what do we do about a kid like Doherty? I think he's going to be a stud as well, and you always want good players no matter how it lines up.

Do we slow the recruiting of him down? Do we take it if he verbals and deal with 5 in this class if we're fortunate enough to lock in Harris and Adams/another guard?

Not sure if anything's changed, but Doherty said he wants to make his decision January 5th. That's his grandfather's birthday and they're very close.

So, that's even better, well, depending on if we get J. Harris. If we get J.Harris, we use the 4 schollies. Then if Doherty picks ud, we use the 5th one on him. If not, we have that 5th for a transfer/grad transfer/JC. If we don't get J. Harris, that complicates things with Doherty. I guess what I'm saying is that I want both of them. We would still have 5 guards but would have to play a more traditional lineup.
1 x

Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 2 months ago

Which is ideal. Traditionally, traditional lineups have the tradition of raising the traditional trophy.

I agree it is probably a quality thing. Take a freshman they are high on or not waste that 5 ship and play the long game for a high end transfer.

At this point the staff has some great contacts in basketball. DH regime didn't have the contacts it has now when they started.
1 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017

reef
Carlton Owens

Unread postby reef » 2 months ago

It wouldn't bother me if we get both . I am sure we can find minutes for Doherty too
0 x

ElmCityRhody
Tom Garrick

Unread postby ElmCityRhody » 2 months ago

we back in the hunt for doherty now ?
1 x

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Iggy1979 » 2 months ago

I don't think URI ever shut this door.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

thatRamBand
Jeff Kent

Unread postby thatRamBand » 2 months ago

Would still love the chance to get this guy. If he's not making his decision until January, there's a lot of time for the staff to regroup and possibly work towards a commitment.
1 x

reef
Carlton Owens

Unread postby reef » 2 months ago

That would be sweet I hope this happens
1 x

DC_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread postby DC_Rams » 2 months ago

I think like Koch said, they will hold the last scholly open.
1 x

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick

Unread postby CT Rhody » 2 months ago

Any potential since Doherty is so young for his grade that he would commit and prep a year? I've never seen him play but obviously a lot of people are extremely impressed by him.
0 x

NorthernRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread postby NorthernRamFan » 2 months ago

Don’t be surprised if this kid does a PG year... just saying...
0 x

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick

NorthernRamFan wrote:Don’t be surprised if this kid does a PG year... just saying...

He is number ten in New England in this current class, if he drops a class you would have to think he might crack New englands top 5 with more development. If he takes a PG year, this would be a huge score for us.
1 x

Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens

I'm all about the PG year. Key is with these guys is keeping them in the fold. They can blow up.

Need deep ties at a New England Prep where you can stash guys. Create that relationship.
1 x

Ramulous
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby Ramulous » 2 months ago

I don't think a PG year helps us......he is already on our radar.....he goes prep....blows up.....and then we are just part of a bigger group chasing him....I would prefer he comes in and redshirts here.....kind of like a PG year but he works with our staff and players for that year....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, and Boxworth!

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

DC_Rams wrote:I think like Koch said, they will hold the last scholly open.

Doherty needs a profile on 1st page

URI will hold this Scholarship open for a strong player - could be a 5th year, a transfer, possibly high ranked player who de-commits (and there are a lot of those now with the FBI investigations going on now) or a high caliber player who is still available. Having such a strong 4 player class intact URI can be very selective with this last Scholarship - gives some very nice flexibility

Doherty is not listed in the Top 450 in 247/CBS Sports Class of 2018
1 x

Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:I think like Koch said, they will hold the last scholly open.

Doherty needs a profile on 1st page

URI will hold this Scholarship open for a strong player - could be a 5th year, a transfer, possibly high ranked player who de-commits (and there are a lot of those now with the FBI investigations going on now) or a high caliber player who is still available. Having such a strong 4 player class intact URI can be very selective with this last Scholarship - gives some very nice flexibility

Doherty is not listed in the Top 450 in 247/CBS Sports Class of 2018

Also no glaring hole in the frontcourt or in the backcourt. Either or.
0 x

jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread postby jro44 » 2 months ago

CT Rhody wrote:Any potential since Doherty is so young for his grade that he would commit and prep a year? I've never seen him play but obviously a lot of people are extremely impressed by him.

Young for his grade? The kid is like 19. He is a great Massachusetts D2 HS player, not sure he will be a contributor on the level URI wants to be, would have been a solid addition to a CFL coached Rhody squad
0 x

NorthernRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread postby NorthernRamFan » 2 months ago

jro44 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Any potential since Doherty is so young for his grade that he would commit and prep a year? I've never seen him play but obviously a lot of people are extremely impressed by him.

Young for his grade? The kid is like 19. He is a great Massachusetts D2 HS player, not sure he will be a contributor on the level URI wants to be, would have been a solid addition to a CFL coached Rhody squad

This post is short sighted at best, check put his Adidas uprising stars going against some of the best bigs in that country. Also he’s never stayed back from my knowledge so I doubt that he’s 19
1 x

rhodywins
Michael Andersen

Unread postby rhodywins » 2 months ago

The reason that he is not on the top 450 list is that he is considered a 2019 recruit that is able to grad in 18. Good chance he waits till 19 to improve his chances at top level schools. Hopefully that will be us.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

rhodywins wrote:The reason that he is not on the top 450 list is that he is considered a 2019 recruit that is able to grad in 18. Good chance he waits till 19 to improve his chances at top level schools. Hopefully that will be us.

How old is he?
0 x

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
rhodywins wrote:The reason that he is not on the top 450 list is that he is considered a 2019 recruit that is able to grad in 18. Good chance he waits till 19 to improve his chances at top level schools. Hopefully that will be us.

How old is he?

I read somewhere he is 17 and on the young side of his class.
2 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 months ago

CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:

How old is he?

I read somewhere he is 17 and on the young side of his class.

and still growing.
3 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

nope.
I searched him in the 247 database and he is listed 2018. He just is not in the Top 450

He is also listed 2018 in the NERR rankings

https://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Doherty-46047604
0 x

CT Rhody
Tom Garrick

Top ten New England usually translates to a top 150 type national prospect for reference. I think him changing class so much has messed up his naruonal ranking or lack there of on these sites.
0 x

thatRamBand
Jeff Kent

Unread postby thatRamBand » 2 months ago

Doherty is #10 in New England, behind Anthony Nelson and one spot ahead of Tate.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... 8-rankings

"South Kent's Anthony Nelson and Marlborough's Chris Doherty round out the top-10, after sensational summers using entirely different skillsets but eerily similar no-nonsense attitudes, rugged demeanors and swag for days. Each plays with a refreshing edge, refusing to accept failure and fearlessly willing to mix it up with their opponent's alleged tough guy. As you can already tell, I'm a big fan of both of these cats. They both own the necessary mentality to compete at the highest level.

Doherty, a 6'7" big with the requisite athleticism to defend opposing wings and a developing offensive repertoire that will eventually allow him to play with the ball in his hand at the other end as well, is far and away the youngest player in the current 2018 top 10. Having just turned 17 years old in April, Doherty could reclassify to 2019 and still play his entire freshman season in college at age-19. With an offer from Rutgers and a number of other high-major programs expressing interest in recent weeks, Doherty will also have options if he plans on heading to college at a 'young' 18."
1 x

Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 months ago

Love how they mention Rutgers over us. The report sounds promising though, but we'll see if he reclassifys.
1 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread postby jro44 » 1 month ago

Wow! My sources are horrendous and will be fired immediately! I stand corrected on Doherty
1 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 1 month ago

Starting his officials...
2018 F Chris Doherty (@cpd_chris) will take his first official visit to:

Notre Dame from November 3rd-5th https://t.co/iU7OXGB88M
1 x

NorthernRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread postby NorthernRamFan » 4 weeks ago

Kid just committed to Notre Dame while on a visit this past weekend...
0 x

Rhody83
ARD

Re: '18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Notre Dame verbal)

Unread postby Rhody83 » 4 weeks ago

0 x

RF1
Sly Williams

Unread postby RF1 » 4 weeks ago

His surname seems to be a fit for Notre Dame.
0 x

PlayMikeMotenMore
Jimmy Baron

Unread postby PlayMikeMotenMore » 3 weeks ago

The next Jack Cooley.
0 x

Smokinjimit
Jimmy Baron

Unread postby Smokinjimit » 3 weeks ago

What happened to waiting for his grandfathers birthday? lol This young man will have a nice career.
1 x

Return to “Recruitment Corner”