'18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Northeastern Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: '18 MA PF Chris Doherty

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:Do we take it if he verbals and deal with 5 in this class if we're fortunate enough to lock in Harris and Adams/another guard?
I think this will probably be what it comes down to right here. Unless Dan knows for sure Harris is going to commit, I think you deal with the unbalanced classes again if things happen to fall this way.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:I do wonder in situations like this - Harris is clearly our #1 target at this position, and we want another guard for sure - that's a given.

We do have 5 schollys but I know Dan wants to space out the classes and not have to recruit 5 every 4 years (great sign for a coach planning to be here for a while), so I believe we're only going to take 4.

However, while waiting for Harris to decide - what do we do about a kid like Doherty? I think he's going to be a stud as well, and you always want good players no matter how it lines up.

Do we slow the recruiting of him down? Do we take it if he verbals and deal with 5 in this class if we're fortunate enough to lock in Harris and Adams/another guard?
Not sure if anything's changed, but Doherty said he wants to make his decision January 5th. That's his grandfather's birthday and they're very close.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I do wonder in situations like this - Harris is clearly our #1 target at this position, and we want another guard for sure - that's a given.

We do have 5 schollys but I know Dan wants to space out the classes and not have to recruit 5 every 4 years (great sign for a coach planning to be here for a while), so I believe we're only going to take 4.

However, while waiting for Harris to decide - what do we do about a kid like Doherty? I think he's going to be a stud as well, and you always want good players no matter how it lines up.

Do we slow the recruiting of him down? Do we take it if he verbals and deal with 5 in this class if we're fortunate enough to lock in Harris and Adams/another guard?
Not sure if anything's changed, but Doherty said he wants to make his decision January 5th. That's his grandfather's birthday and they're very close.
So, that's even better, well, depending on if we get J. Harris. If we get J.Harris, we use the 4 schollies. Then if Doherty picks ud, we use the 5th one on him. If not, we have that 5th for a transfer/grad transfer/JC. If we don't get J. Harris, that complicates things with Doherty. I guess what I'm saying is that I want both of them. We would still have 5 guards but would have to play a more traditional lineup.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Which is ideal. Traditionally, traditional lineups have the tradition of raising the traditional trophy.

I agree it is probably a quality thing. Take a freshman they are high on or not waste that 5 ship and play the long game for a high end transfer.

At this point the staff has some great contacts in basketball. DH regime didn't have the contacts it has now when they started.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It wouldn't bother me if we get both . I am sure we can find minutes for Doherty too
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

we back in the hunt for doherty now ?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't think URI ever shut this door.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Would still love the chance to get this guy. If he's not making his decision until January, there's a lot of time for the staff to regroup and possibly work towards a commitment.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be sweet I hope this happens
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think like Koch said, they will hold the last scholly open.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any potential since Doherty is so young for his grade that he would commit and prep a year? I've never seen him play but obviously a lot of people are extremely impressed by him.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Don’t be surprised if this kid does a PG year... just saying...
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NorthernRamFan wrote:Don’t be surprised if this kid does a PG year... just saying...
He is number ten in New England in this current class, if he drops a class you would have to think he might crack New englands top 5 with more development. If he takes a PG year, this would be a huge score for us.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I'm all about the PG year. Key is with these guys is keeping them in the fold. They can blow up.

Need deep ties at a New England Prep where you can stash guys. Create that relationship.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't think a PG year helps us......he is already on our radar.....he goes prep....blows up.....and then we are just part of a bigger group chasing him....I would prefer he comes in and redshirts here.....kind of like a PG year but he works with our staff and players for that year....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote:I think like Koch said, they will hold the last scholly open.
Doherty needs a profile on 1st page

URI will hold this Scholarship open for a strong player - could be a 5th year, a transfer, possibly high ranked player who de-commits (and there are a lot of those now with the FBI investigations going on now) or a high caliber player who is still available. Having such a strong 4 player class intact URI can be very selective with this last Scholarship - gives some very nice flexibility

Doherty is not listed in the Top 450 in 247/CBS Sports Class of 2018
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:I think like Koch said, they will hold the last scholly open.
Doherty needs a profile on 1st page

URI will hold this Scholarship open for a strong player - could be a 5th year, a transfer, possibly high ranked player who de-commits (and there are a lot of those now with the FBI investigations going on now) or a high caliber player who is still available. Having such a strong 4 player class intact URI can be very selective with this last Scholarship - gives some very nice flexibility

Doherty is not listed in the Top 450 in 247/CBS Sports Class of 2018
Also no glaring hole in the frontcourt or in the backcourt. Either or.
0 x
jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jro44 »

CT Rhody wrote:Any potential since Doherty is so young for his grade that he would commit and prep a year? I've never seen him play but obviously a lot of people are extremely impressed by him.
Young for his grade? The kid is like 19. He is a great Massachusetts D2 HS player, not sure he will be a contributor on the level URI wants to be, would have been a solid addition to a CFL coached Rhody squad
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

jro44 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Any potential since Doherty is so young for his grade that he would commit and prep a year? I've never seen him play but obviously a lot of people are extremely impressed by him.
Young for his grade? The kid is like 19. He is a great Massachusetts D2 HS player, not sure he will be a contributor on the level URI wants to be, would have been a solid addition to a CFL coached Rhody squad
This post is short sighted at best, check put his Adidas uprising stars going against some of the best bigs in that country. Also he’s never stayed back from my knowledge so I doubt that he’s 19
1 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

The reason that he is not on the top 450 list is that he is considered a 2019 recruit that is able to grad in 18. Good chance he waits till 19 to improve his chances at top level schools. Hopefully that will be us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodywins wrote:The reason that he is not on the top 450 list is that he is considered a 2019 recruit that is able to grad in 18. Good chance he waits till 19 to improve his chances at top level schools. Hopefully that will be us.
How old is he?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
rhodywins wrote:The reason that he is not on the top 450 list is that he is considered a 2019 recruit that is able to grad in 18. Good chance he waits till 19 to improve his chances at top level schools. Hopefully that will be us.
How old is he?
I read somewhere he is 17 and on the young side of his class.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:
ramster wrote:
How old is he?
I read somewhere he is 17 and on the young side of his class.
and still growing.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

nope.
I searched him in the 247 database and he is listed 2018. He just is not in the Top 450

He is also listed 2018 in the NERR rankings

https://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Doherty-46047604
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Top ten New England usually translates to a top 150 type national prospect for reference. I think him changing class so much has messed up his naruonal ranking or lack there of on these sites.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Doherty is #10 in New England, behind Anthony Nelson and one spot ahead of Tate.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... 8-rankings

"South Kent's Anthony Nelson and Marlborough's Chris Doherty round out the top-10, after sensational summers using entirely different skillsets but eerily similar no-nonsense attitudes, rugged demeanors and swag for days. Each plays with a refreshing edge, refusing to accept failure and fearlessly willing to mix it up with their opponent's alleged tough guy. As you can already tell, I'm a big fan of both of these cats. They both own the necessary mentality to compete at the highest level.

Doherty, a 6'7" big with the requisite athleticism to defend opposing wings and a developing offensive repertoire that will eventually allow him to play with the ball in his hand at the other end as well, is far and away the youngest player in the current 2018 top 10. Having just turned 17 years old in April, Doherty could reclassify to 2019 and still play his entire freshman season in college at age-19. With an offer from Rutgers and a number of other high-major programs expressing interest in recent weeks, Doherty will also have options if he plans on heading to college at a 'young' 18."
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Love how they mention Rutgers over us. The report sounds promising though, but we'll see if he reclassifys.
1 x
GO RAMS
jro44
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jro44 »

Wow! My sources are horrendous and will be fired immediately! I stand corrected on Doherty
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Starting his officials...
2018 F Chris Doherty (@cpd_chris) will take his first official visit to:

Notre Dame from November 3rd-5th https://t.co/iU7OXGB88M
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Kid just committed to Notre Dame while on a visit this past weekend...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '18 MA PF Chris Doherty (Notre Dame verbal)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

His surname seems to be a fit for Notre Dame.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The next Jack Cooley.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

What happened to waiting for his grandfathers birthday? lol This young man will have a nice career.
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Interesting article. reading the slew of comments from ND fans sounds like they thought he was mismanaged by brey, but also was a bit homesick, which may have impacted his ability to fit in.

Since the 2nd Semester has already started, even if transferred today, should we assume he would have to sit out the full year next year? Would be awesome if we could get him for the 2nd semester. - This is all assuming he was the kid at the game yesterday.
Last edited by bkoeppen 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Reading the comments at ND insider people are not happy with Brey and thought Doherty deserved more playing time. At 6’8” 235, with 2.5 years left he could be a nice addition if Cox can convince him playing in A10 and close to home would benefit him. Go get him!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
Interesting article. reading the slew of comments from ND fans sounds like they thought he was mismanaged by brey, but also was a bit homesick, which may have impacted his ability to fit in.

Since the 2nd Semester has already started, even if transferred today, should we assume he would have to sit out the full year next year? Would be awesome if we could get him for the 2nd semester. - This is all assuming he was the kid at the game yesterday.
What was the date the 2nd semester started? I think finals for 1st semester just finished up a couple of days ago and classes don't start for almost a month.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The 2nd semester has not started. It doesn’t start until Jan 22nd. Any transfer that enrolls in January in the Spring 2020 semester would be eligible to play after the completion of the Fall 2020 semester (end of Dec). Just like Walker they would play as soon as final exams were completed next December.
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

What was the date the 2nd semester started? I think finals for 1st semester just finished up a couple of days ago and classes don't start for almost a month.
Said better, the 2nd semester hasn't started - thanks for catching that. this would be a great if we could get him, even if it's for only one semester next year.
Last edited by bkoeppen 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I would think John Carroll (and possibly Austin) would know Doherty from when Carroll was involved in NE Playaz AAU.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Said better, the 2nd semester hasn't started - thanks for catching that. this would be a great if we could get him, even if it's for only one semester next year.
You post are getting more unusual by the minute. He has 2 1/2 years of eligibility left. Why would we get him for only one semester?????
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I would think John Carroll (and possibly Austin) would know Doherty from when Carroll was involved in NE Playaz AAU.
Imagine Tate might know him as well
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

You post are getting more unusual by the minute. He has 2 1/2 years of eligibility left. Why would we get him for only one semester?????
One semester next year
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Why not, if they want him it would be the same deal as Antwan....

play 2nd semester next year and then have 2 more years eligibility.

Nice thing about 2nd semester, you get to play two thirds of the season plus conference tourney plus postseason.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I wonder if he is related to The Duke of Dorchester, Pete Doherty? (famous local ham & egger for the WWF in the 80's)

3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I know we got burned by it with Walker, but don’t dismiss the idea of a waiver that would allow him to play from the jump next season. He’d be returning closer to home and Brey would have no reason to block him - we don’t typically battle for recruits and Doherty didn’t do anything wrong at ND or leave on bad terms.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Hey we all saw what a 2nd good PF could do for this team yesterday. I'll all of another PF, the more the merrier.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I know we got burned by it with Walker, but don’t dismiss the idea of a waiver that would allow him to play from the jump next season. He’d be returning closer to home and Brey would have no reason to block him - we don’t typically battle for recruits and Doherty didn’t do anything wrong at ND or leave on bad terms.
The most NCAA thing to do ever would be to consider "home sickness" a legit medical condition and grant him a waiver...maybe get him a service dog as well :)
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I agree it is weird, but anecdotally they do seem to factor it into granting waivers.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011