'18 MD PG - Amir Harris (Nebraska --> GW)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It's a good sign, program wise, when good players decide against coming to URI because they don't think they'll play.
I don't think he'll end up at Temple. He surprised some with his announcement that it was down to URI and Temple.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Best of luck to Amir, I hope it works out for him. It's a huge decision for a kid to make so can't fault him for wanting to make sure he gets it right.

Tons of options with that last scholarship for URI at this point given what we already have in the fold.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: '18 MD PG - Amir Harris (URI Commit)

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Looks like Amir is recruiting now too. He and Brendan Adams followed each other today on twitter. Supposedly Amir is recruiting J. Harris too.

I guess Amir would rather follow Brendan Adams and J Harris on Twitter than be their teammate.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Iggy1979 wrote:It's a good sign, program wise, when good players decide against coming to URI because they don't think they'll play.
I don't think he'll end up at Temple. He surprised some with his announcement that it was down to URI and Temple.
That may be true but also pure speculation unless you spoke to Amir himself. If this is indeed the case for his decision, I, for one am not crazy about a guy who is not confident enough in their ability that they are afraid of this type of challenge. Especially without even stepping on the court for your last year of high school let alone your first day of a college . All in all this is certainly not a terrible thing IMO at all. Again contingent that the other 4 do indeed sign which I am confident they will.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

dont let the door hit you on the way out
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:It's a good sign, program wise, when good players decide against coming to URI because they don't think they'll play.
Agree.
Does the timing surprise you that he announced his reopening his recruitment the day after Matt Balanc committed to Quinnipiac? Would Balanc have chosen URI?

Probably a good move to play out his Senior year at St James and see what develops on the offer front.

URI got 4 guys they really wanted, Jermaine Harris and Dana Tate are both 4 Star recruits on ESPN. Brendan Adams and Tyrese Martin are both high 3 Star recruits with the ability to achieve 4 Star status.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bummer!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

sucks to lose a recruit, but I'd rather have kids that welcome competition and are up for the fight rather than shy away from it.

steel sharpens steel
4 x
---
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Give me David Duke! :lol: :lol: :lol:
4 x
Go Rhody
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:Give me David Duke! :lol: :lol: :lol:
too bad he isnt coming from south of RI....could use the ol "intercept them at the kingston station" move again. haha
0 x
---
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't see this as a bummer at all, just part of the recruiting process on both sides. Having a scholarship available gives the staff nice flexibility moving forward.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote:Give me David Duke! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lol! Maybe that's the nice surprise Koch mentioned yesterday. You would have to shut off the Newport Bridge for all the Friar fans that would be racing there.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i missed that. in what context did he mention "nice surprise" ?
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:i missed that. in what context did he mention "nice surprise" ?
I'm pretty sure he meant a new episode of the "Pick & Pop" podcast in regards to the "nice surprise" comment.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can't really blame Amir he must have saw a log jam at the guard position and was worried about playing time
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not a big deal.
Harris probably read the tea leaves, when
Adams signed.
Good luck to him, but if we had to lose any of the
five verbals, it was him.
Staff can go to "best player available" or sit and wait for the
torrent of transfers to come very soon.
3 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I liked Amir Harris and thought he would be a good addition, but I agree 100% with Rod.

Lots of options here - and lots of time to make a decision.
Personally, I'd like to see Jermaine call his AAU teammate Saddiq Bey and see if he could convince him to consider URI.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Yes he probably meant fans would be happy for the first pick and pop but he did include at end of tweet, "we call that a media tease". That doesn't seem to make sense that something he is announcing he is going to do , the podcast then calling it a tease.
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhody1992 wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:i missed that. in what context did he mention "nice surprise" ?
I'm pretty sure he meant a new episode of the "Pick & Pop" podcast in regards to the "nice surprise" comment.
After looking at it again you are correct definitely
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:Not a big deal.
Harris probably read the tea leaves, when
Adams signed.
Good luck to him, but if we had to lose any of the
five verbals, it was him.
Staff can go to "best player available" or sit and wait for the
torrent of transfers to come very soon.
I agree, and I like Amir Harris and have said as much. But I wonder if Adams had committed first whether they'd have even taken Amir's commitment. We'll never know, but I doubt the staff is too broken up about this. I'd have been totally fine if all 5 guys stuck because I think they could've played together, but having that last scholarship open combined with the 4 guys you have in the fold...not going to lose any sleep over it.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Balanc ended up at the right level and so will A Harris.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And all will be better off because of it
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That is a bummer, but it was looking like he wasn't going to have any guaranteed playing time until his junior year maybe.

Of all the guards he looked the best on tape to me.
looked better than Tyrese...

That scholarship may really come in handy down the road.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Disagree PRT.
Tyrese is a knock down shooter who can make them with people
in his face.
Something we haven't had in the Hurley era.
Kid's going to be a star.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

agree with Rod on Tyrese, this is the first legit deep threat for DH. It would have been great having a Jimmy Baron like under DH, now we might have one with Tyrese
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

wpbrown8267 wrote:agree with Rod on Tyrese, this is the first legit deep threat for DH. It would have been great having a Jimmy Baron like under DH, now we might have one with Tyrese
Let's hope :)
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Make that 3. Martin is huge too. Very excited about the 4 left.

My personal preference is to not take 5 freshman on a college basketball team.

Harris looks good though. Interesting to keep an eye on him.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Iggy1979 wrote:Balanc ended up at the right level and so will A Harris.

How do you know there correct level? That's still TBD.

Stan Robinson perfect example out of HS. Not so good at IU but perfect URI. Way to early to tell. A lot of is fit & development to see how these young players develop.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Slim wrote:

Stan Robinson perfect example out of HS. Not so good at IU but perfect URI. Way to early to tell. A lot of is fit & development to see how these young players develop.
Stan's freshman stats were comparable to Jeff's. Not sure that qualifies as not so good. He got recruited over and had team violations.
1 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

First thing I thought of, was him reading all of the clippings of being a steal and having the potential to be better than anyone thought. Looking for higher ground?
Last edited by RAM67 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Dre3000 wrote:
Slim wrote:

Stan's freshman stats were comparable to Jeff's. Not sure that qualifies as not so good. He got recruited over and had team violations.
Well if he got recruited over doesn't that imply he wasn't at the correct level?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Slim wrote:

Well if he got recruited over doesn't that imply he wasn't at the correct level?
No. Only 5 can start. Guys get recruited over all the time. That’s why there are 800+ tranfers per year. You can be at the right level but not at the right place for you - so you seek out another place or another place seeks out you. No different from the working world. Competition.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also agree on Tyrese , that kids got size and can shoot with deep range, the sky is the limit with him
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
No. Only 5 can start. Guys get recruited over all the time. That’s why there are 800+ tranfers per year. You can be at the right level but not at the right place for you - so you seek out another place or another place seeks out you. No different from the working world. Competition.
We don't see 800+ transfers per year because guys get recruited over, there are plenty of other reasons why players transfer. How often do you see a guy get recruited over and then transfer to a school that's the same level? Look the guys who transferred while Hurley has been here, Biggie, Reischel and Butler all got recruited over then all went to lower level schools.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:
We don't see 800+ transfers per year because guys get recruited over, there are plenty of other reasons why players transfer. How often do you see a guy get recruited over and then transfer to a school that's the same level? Look the guys who transferred while Hurley has been here, Biggie, Reischel and Butler all got recruited over then all went to lower level schools.
Right, they got recruited over and went to lesser schools. Sometimes they go to equal level schools, sometimes slightly lower, sometimes much lower.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Many times when a recruit de-commits they continue to consider the school they initially chose.....is that the case with Amir?

Or have both sides moved on?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ramulous wrote:Many times when a recruit de-commits they continue to consider the school they initially chose.....is that the case with Amir?

Or have both sides moved on?
According to Koch's story, Amir is still considering URI. But I wonder if URI is still interested.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Stan got recruited over at an 18-16 NIT team and was what? Forced to join a NCAA team here? Yea they really forced him to step down.

He dominated Oregon and really played well anytime Hurley put him in last year. Indiana isn't your dad's or brother's Indiana.

More of a case of things not working out.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Emmit Holt was on that team as well with Robinson.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Stan got recruited over at an 18-16 NIT team and was what? Forced to join a NCAA team here? Yea they really forced him to step down.

He dominated Oregon and really played well anytime Hurley put him in last year. Indiana isn't your dad's or brother's Indiana.

But with Miller and what he's already done with recruiting, they're heading back towards that level.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Stan got recruited over at an 18-16 NIT team and was what? Forced to join a NCAA team here? Yea they really forced him to step down.

But with Miller and what he's already done with recruiting, they're heading back towards that level.
Time will tell. Indiana has had top coaching prospects since Knight. they have also had heralded guys on the court. I think Miller is a good coach but time will tell.

I would bet against him. And I would bet against him there.

Landscape is different in the Midwest than it was 40 years ago.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

All I was saying in that first post was that as a freshman Stan played pretty well in the Big 10. I don't think it could be said that he was in over his head. The following year Indiana brought in the #20 player in the country that now plays for the Sixers (Blackmon). Additionally, Stan was getting into trouble so his playing time was diminishing.

I don't think Stan had any bigger role on our team last year than he would have had on his Indiana team last year.

But this is completely off topic hahaha
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Time will tell. Indiana has had top coaching prospects since Knight. they have also had heralded guys on the court. I think Miller is a good coach but time will tell.

I would bet against him. And I would bet against him there.

Landscape is different in the Midwest than it was 40 years ago.
He already has five 4* commits since he's been there, 2 that are freshmen now and 3 from the '18 class.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Winners gonna win. It doesn't matter how the midwest has changed (though i dont know what that even means). Archie is a winner, Indiana is a blue blood, he will win there.
2 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Any update? Is he even considering uri anymore?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I haven't seen any update, but I think it's safe to say that URI is no longer involved with Amir. In most years, that would be a shame but I think for this class it is not something we are pursuing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah too much talent in this class he was probably worried about playing time. Hope he doesn't turn into a special player
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I want another big with that last scholly, as long as it's a good big.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Or a solid transfer or 5th year graduate. We all know there will be plenty looking for a solid team to play for.....
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x