'18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Re: '18 MD PF Jermaine Harris (URI Commit)

Unread post by EGram »

This can also be the David Cox appreciation thread?

Honestly, I was lukewarm on hi a cpl years ago but dude has been killing it the past two years!
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

EGram wrote:This can also be the David Cox appreciation thread?

Honestly, I was lukewarm on hi a cpl years ago but dude has been killing it the past two years!
Not sure why you would’ve been lukewarm on him. His been killing in DMV recruiting since His G’town Days.
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It shows that you can't judge a recruiter in his first year or two. It takes time to build the relationships that result in days like today. Cox should never have to buy a drink in South County again.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

DC_Rams wrote:

Not sure why you would’ve been lukewarm on him. His been killing in DMV recruiting since His G’town Days.
scary thought....got one of the, if not the best recruiting classes in school history and Tom Moore isnt even fully on the trail yet.

Imagine where this can go if the trio of Cox, Moore and Dan stay together.
7 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Chris Mack unfollows the kid immediately after his commitment. That is such a puss move, that unfollowing the kid was the first thing on his mind after he didn’t commit to your school.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Justns11 wrote:Nice! #25 recruiting class in the nation right now.

What site is this? Rivals? 247?
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

yes !

sorry justns.. i didnt see your earlier post

giddy !
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You gotta love Dana Tate.

5 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

DC_Rams wrote:

In fairness it was mostly ignorance. Just not knowing much about the guy as. Other assistants got far more notice by the fan base back a few years ago.
Last edited by EGram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Repeats are fine when the results are that pretty!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

And it its not even over yet.
4 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Justns11 wrote:Nice! #25 recruiting class in the nation right now.

What site is this? Rivals? 247?
247. I was going to post the link to the entire top 50 recruiting list, but it hadn't been updated yet to reflect the Jermaine commit.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

How about Hurley's tweet saying it's a nice way to start a weekend.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow!
1st ESPN Top 100 Big Man signed by URI this century
1st ESPN Top 100 Big Man since Lamar Odom in 1997 - 20 years ago

Final 8 Teams: Rhode Island, Xavier, Kansas, West Virginia, Maryland, South Carolina, Miami, Southern Utah. Strong competition.

Love seeing URI associated with a Big Man ESPN Top 100 :) Will never get tired of looking at this list.

ESPN TOP 100.png
[/size]
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hats off to Jeff Ermann from Maryland who was the lone 247 Predictor for URI. He switched his prediction away from West Virginia once they seemed eliminated. 6 Others all had Xavier.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Ermann
Jermaine Harris 247 Oct 6.png
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Serious.

Yep.

Go Rhody
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

“They’ve been with me since Day One, even when I was a bad player,” Harris said. He took three visits to the campus in Kingston, R.I., and coaches visited the school numerous times since his sophomore year. “You could feel the connection with the players and coaches. It’s like home there.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rec ... 7341bfd59a
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Also a big thanks to the guys on this board with the (correct) inside information.
2 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

From a small low major school in Staten Island beating Pitt on the road in November to the best recruiting class in URI history...who would have thought one thing could lead to the other. Well....some here did. Go Rhody!
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
“They’ve been with me since Day One, even when I was a bad player,” Harris said. He took three visits to the campus in Kingston, R.I., and coaches visited the school numerous times since his sophomore year. “You could feel the connection with the players and coaches. It’s like home there.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rec ... 7341bfd59a
Wow.
Just wow.

Pinch me, I'm dreaming

I have seen several of these Hat thing - type announcements. This one goes our way in a big way with a 4 star, ESPN 85th ranked big man with lots of upside potential.

Go Rhody!!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Our class, in addition to being perhaps our most highly rated class, also may end up being our biggest:

6'8"
6'7"
6'4"
6'4"

and potentially another 6'4" guy in Adams if that works out. That's some serious size in the A10 even without a true 7'0" center.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I haven't been this excited about Rhody hoops since March 17th.
9 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:Our class, in addition to being perhaps our most highly rated class, also may end up being our biggest:

6'8"
6'7"
6'4"
6'4"

and potentially another 6'4" guy in Adams if that works out. That's some serious size in the A10 even without a true 7'0" center.
Yea we have been so strong the past few years. It's unbelievable as a Keaneybluer to think we are going to be even more physical.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Wooooooooooooo
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

RhodysRelevant wrote:Wooooooooooooo
2 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Best thing about a commit like Harris is that it proves to Dan that he doesn't need to go somewhere else to get a recruit that could go to Kansas, West Virginia, SC, Xavier, etc.

We better be damn sure increasing that assistants pool though. Dave Cox cannot be undervalued.

Dan certainly changed the culture 5 years ago when he stepped on campus, but mark today as a day where we took that "next step."

Before EC leaves we now have that 2nd "class" to build on. No gap year. We've built up into a championship caliber program, now we're seeing what it looks like to sustain it.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

scary thought....got one of the, if not the best recruiting classes in school history and Tom Moore isnt even fully on the trail yet.

Imagine where this can go if the trio of Cox, Moore and Dan stay together.
I understand that Boswell has a situation to resolve, but foolish to leave him out here... he was man connection on Terrell, Iverson & now Tate...
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Agreed Northern.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Yes! U-R-I!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Note to other schools: Don't, I repeat do NOT, let a recruit take an official visit here if you want that player. Hurley's batting average on guys that take official visits here seems to be otherworldly.

Hat tip to Daniel Marshall. Harris and his coach had weight lifting as one of the top three criteria for choosing a school.

Obviously a hat tip to Cox on another big time recruit. At some point soon he should be in line for a head coaching position. It will be key for us to make sure he's compensated enough that he only jumps ship to run his own program and not to be an assistant elsewhere.

Harris' successful recruitment answers some of the last doubts some people had about Hurley. Could he get a highly rated big? Could he win out over other top schools? Could he get more top 100 players after Terrell? Yes. Yes. Yes.

What a time to be a Ram fan. These are the good old days many of us will be talking about years from now.
7 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:No gap year.
No years off! No years off!
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Note to other schools: Don't, I repeat do NOT, let a recruit take an official visit here if you want that player. Hurley's batting average on guys that take official visits here seems to be otherworldly.

Hat tip to Daniel Marshall. Harris and his coach had weight lifting as one of the top three criteria for choosing a school.

Obviously a hat tip to Cox on another big time recruit. At some point soon he should be in line for a head coaching position. It will be key for us to make sure he's compensated enough that he only jumps ship to run his own program and not to be an assistant elsewhere.

Harris' successful recruitment answers some of the last doubts some people had about Hurley. Could he get a highly rated big? Could he win out over other top schools? Could he get more top 100 players after Terrell? Yes. Yes. Yes.

What a time to be a Ram fan. These are the good old days many of us will be talking about years from now.
Good points RR2. Hurley building the entire program, the entire support structure, the right way.

As I watched today's event and listened to his Coach talk about him, I noted how he said Harris was not a good player when he arrived from Atlanta. He was not a good student. He talked about how he improved his grades, his work ethic, his basketball playing ability.
I could not help to think (while listening to Harris' Coach speak about him) how good an academic support structure Dan Hurley has built. I was so impressed when the Academic Support people received Championship Rings on Season Ticket Appreciation Night. How much did the entire package that Dan Hurley and URI offer impact Harris' decision? When do we hear anything about URI Basketball players having academic problems since Hurley arrived? Crickets! Before Hurley? Let's not even go there.

Congrats to the entire URI Basketball Staff. They should all take a bow.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hey Joe or anyone with access to scout boards, can you screenshot the meltdown of XU fans who swore they would beat us out.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A good point by Blue Man about our batting average when we get an official.

Yet another kid who didn't talk about facilities, or conference affiliation, but about the family atmosphere and trust in coaches.

A good inflection point in this recruitment was when it became known how involved his parents were in plotting Jermaine's course.
Dan once said he has his most success when he can recruit the parents and the high school coach (vs the AAU coach - prob why he brought Ty on staff).

Dan is targeting and attracting a certain type of kid...and it's a formula that can be replicated over and over. ALl ships rise.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow what a day congrats Staff for a job well done
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

DC_Rams wrote:Hey Joe or anyone with access to scout boards, can you screenshot the meltdown of XU fans who swore they would beat us out.
Really? I'm pretty sure you can get a 7 day free trial so knock yourself out reading those posts. I don't think we need to post screenshots of their board here to laugh at, let's just be happy we landed our guy.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:Hey Joe or anyone with access to scout boards, can you screenshot the meltdown of XU fans who swore they would beat us out.
Really? I'm pretty sure you can get a 7 day free trial so knock yourself out reading those posts. I don't think we need to post screenshots of their board here to laugh at, let's just be happy we landed our guy.
Right? I can only imagine what this board would be like if he picked up the 'X' hat.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Welcome Jermaine! Incredible class. Dan and staff wanted and knew they needed asuper class to keep what they've built going and they produced. Cannot underestimate hard work of coaching staff and also the staff's talent and character evaluation , which seems to be all 5 star. I'm getting old , but this Ram team has is giving me more excitement and hope than I can remember. A lot of cold, snowy nights in Keaney Gym maybe are finally paying off!

Brendan Adams, complete this!
Last edited by giovanni 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would seem that Dan and staff are building off the momentum of the A-10 tournament championship and NCAA run. That success is not being wasted but looks to have been leveraged to our advantage. That was missing in the 1988 and 1998 NCAA runs and the opening of the Ryan Center. Those successes were not adequately built upon when the fire was hot. They ultimately ended up as wasted opportunities.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote:It would seem that Dan and staff are building off the momentum of the A-10 tournament championship and NCAA run. That success is not being wasted but looks to have been leveraged to our advantage. That was missing in the 1988 and 1998 NCAA runs and the opening of the Ryan Center. Those successes were not adequately built upon when the fire was hot. They ultimately ended up as wasted opportunities.
It's a little tough when your high profile coaches leave. I don't remember who Penders had coming in after 88, but Harrick had 3 or 4 McDonald's All-Americans coming in. None of them came.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody people are going to love this kid.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

I remember all too well the days of pining after Jared Reuter, Chris Silva, AFLAK, Steve Enoch...

We've come a long, long way. Funny to look at those guys now. 3 of the 4 are barely role players (10-15 mpg, 3-4 ppg, 2-3 rpg). Silva is definitely a really good player as we saw in the tourney last year for SC. I think the best big guy we've swung and missed on lately that we had a chance at might be good ole' Rokas Gustys who chose Hofstra over us 3 years ago. Been a long time coming for us to land one of these sought after big guys, not to diminish who we currently have on the roster.
0 x