18 MD G Matt Balanc (Quinnipiac Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Slim
Steve Chubin

Re: 18 MD G Matt Balanc

Unread post by Slim »

Matt Balanc as I said before is trending upward. Prob has the highest upside out of the 2018 guards mentioned IMO. If he would've went to prep school which atleast 5 HM NCAA tourney teams suggested or wanted he be big time recruit in 2019. Matt is loyal kid been with the same hs & aau program for 4 years. Public HS & non sponsored AAU team.

He decided to stay in 2018 clas, so those are the schools he's looking at. Uri , FGCU both NCAA tourney teams , Qpac building with Coach who was apart of National Championship team & wining culture. Here's how I see the guards mention below. I've seen all numerous times over 2-3 year period.

Amir- good passer, good defender, good iq, great size, needs to improve shooting. Very big upside too. Could be all defensive player threw out his career. Has to add shooting to maximize his overall game. 4 HS in 4 years is interesting.

Adams- great scorer, volume shooter, good athlete, good skill set, needs to be a better defender, needs to be more efficient. Good player & prospect. Good coaching would help develop and harness his talent.

Martin- good built, good size, older more mature due to prep year, Good open court player, Good spot up shooter. Great rebounder. Needs to improve ball handling. Good player has chance to be good.

Balanc- freak athlete & NBA athleticism , wired to score, good jump shooter from 3 & gets to the rim and will dunk in traffic, needs to physically get stronger & bigger, needs to continue to develop his overall game. Biggest upside of the group offensively, defensively.
Last edited by Slim 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Slim - How would you rank them on their projected impact at the high major level?
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

CT Rhody wrote:Slim - How would you rank them on their projected impact at the high major level?
Impact today or down the road?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’d expect Slim to say that, sounds like Balanc’s handler. No doubt the kid can play, but I’m taking Adams everyday over Balanc as I have seen them all play as well. I trust the coaches Evals any day over a message board poster with clear vested interest. No offense....
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

I'm not handler. Also, I didn't say who they should or shouldn't take. This is my opinion on all the players. Agree to disagree it's fine. All the kids had tons offers so it's up to them and coaches recruiting them what & who's the right fit.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So slim, rank the 4 as to who,they should,or shouldn't take?
Mine would be:
Adams
Martin
Harris
Balanc
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Ramster- depends on need in fit.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Slim wrote:Ramster- depends on need in fit.
Fair enough,
Suppose rating the 4 as if you were taking best player available?
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Ramster- here's my opinion. I don't do the rank them stuff I'll leave it to you guys.

Martin- best all around
Adams- best scorer
Harris - best defender , passer
Balanc- best athlete

Comes down to fit IMO. We all know especially in college Bball talent is great but it comes down to fit.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Slim, thanks for providing
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think Balanc is the best athlete also fwiw. Going off the tape. Dunking in traffic is unteachable fearlessness.

Contrast that against Akele rebounding and then looking to pass the ball outside from under the rim instead of putting the ball in the goal.

High end athleticism and having the mental makeup is certainly a huge asset.

But quinnipiac is quinnipiac until they change that. Tom Moore was national title winning assistant too.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Is this the same Balanc guy?

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Slim wrote:Matt Balanc as I said before is trending upward. Prob has the highest upside out of the 2018 guards mentioned IMO. If he would've went to prep school which atleast 5 HM NCAA tourney teams suggested or wanted he be big time recruit in 2019. Matt is loyal kid been with the same hs & aau program for 4 years. Public HS & non sponsored AAU team.

He decided to stay in 2018 clas, so those are the schools he's looking at. Uri , FGCU both NCAA tourney teams , Qpac building with Coach who was apart of National Championship team & wining culture. Here's how I see the guards mention below. I've seen all numerous times over 2-3 year period.

Amir- good passer, good defender, good iq, great size, needs to improve shooting. Very big upside too. Could be all defensive player threw out his career. Has to add shooting to maximize his overall game. 4 HS in 4 years is interesting.

Adams- great scorer, volume shooter, good athlete, good skill set, needs to be a better defender, needs to be more efficient. Good player & prospect. Good coaching would help develop and harness his talent.

Martin- good built, good size, older more mature due to prep year, Good open court player, Good spot up shooter. Great rebounder. Needs to improve ball handling. Good player has chance to be good.

Balanc- freak athlete & NBA athleticism , wired to score, good jump shooter from 3 & gets to the rim and will dunk in traffic, needs to physically get stronger & bigger, needs to continue to develop his overall game. Biggest upside of the group offensively, defensively.

Great info Slim thank you.

Based on your description Balanc sounds like the best get in this group.

I understand that he's a late bloomer, but if teams are saying he would be a high major recruit as soon as next year wouldn't some better programs take a shot and offer?

Seems like we already took a high upside guy in Amir Harris.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s definitely not the best in the group at all. We’ve never heard of Slim until Balanc came on URI’s radar. While he is certainly athletic and can play, the others fill voids all the same. Adams is the best in the bunch hands down and that’s with extensive time viewing them all, Adams in particular on the AAU circuit. Balanc is a really good player playing sub par competition in the MD public school leagues. He’s dunking through traffic because most of the kids in his division still wear their shoes on the wrong foot. The other guys we are looking at play nationally competitive teams on a nearly weekly basis.

Again taking nothing away from Balanc, would love to pick him up IF Adams goes the other way, but he is much more of a project at this time than the others....in my opinion, of course.
1 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

DC_Rams wrote:He’s definitely not the best in the group at all. We’ve never heard of Slim until Balanc came on URI’s radar. While he is certainly athletic and can play, the others fill voids all the same. Adams is the best in the bunch hands down and that’s with extensive time viewing them all, Adams in particular on the AAU circuit. Balanc is a really good player playing sub par competition in the MD public school leagues. He’s dunking through traffic because most of the kids in his division still wear their shoes on the wrong foot. The other guys we are looking at play nationally competitive teams on a nearly weekly basis.

Again taking nothing away from Balanc, would love to pick him up IF Adams goes the other way, but he is much more of a project at this time than the others....in my opinion, of course.
I never said Balanc was better then any of the other players. I also said he's late bloomer.

Everyone has opinion and that's fine. It will all shake out over the next 4 years.

Again, I'm nobody"s handler. I just have opinion.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Slim wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:He’s definitely not the best in the group at all. We’ve never heard of Slim until Balanc came on URI’s radar. While he is certainly athletic and can play, the others fill voids all the same. Adams is the best in the bunch hands down and that’s with extensive time viewing them all, Adams in particular on the AAU circuit. Balanc is a really good player playing sub par competition in the MD public school leagues. He’s dunking through traffic because most of the kids in his division still wear their shoes on the wrong foot. The other guys we are looking at play nationally competitive teams on a nearly weekly basis.

I never said Balanc was better then any of the other players. I also said he's late bloomer.

Everyone has opinion and that's fine. It will all shake out over the next 4 years.

Again, I'm nobody"s handler. I just have opinion.
I can respect that. Just odd your first ever post was about Matt. Are you a URI fan?
1 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

I'm college basketball & A10 fan
1 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

steveystuds06 wrote:
Slim wrote:Matt Balanc as I said before is trending upward. Prob has the highest upside out of the 2018 guards mentioned IMO. If he would've went to prep school which atleast 5 HM NCAA tourney teams suggested or wanted he be big time recruit in 2019. Matt is loyal kid been with the same hs & aau program for 4 years. Public HS & non sponsored AAU team.

Great info Slim thank you.

Based on your description Balanc sounds like the best get in this group.

I understand that he's a late bloomer, but if teams are saying he would be a high major recruit as soon as next year wouldn't some better programs take a shot and offer?

Seems like we already took a high upside guy in Amir Harris.
What do you consider better programs? FGCU has been one of the better mid major programs over last couple years, URI was NCAA tourney team. He had offers from several A10, Mountain West etc. Two AAC schools want get involved but he seems to be okay with the school"s that are recruiting him.

Maybe URI is using him as back up that I have no clue of. We will see in due time. Either way I respect URI program and Balanc game. Both parties will prob do what's best for them.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:
Is Balanc visiting this weekend?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Doubtful.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
Doubtful.
Why? What happened? Is he choosing Quinnipiac?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe we're expecting to get Adams.....
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He's still taking his visit to FGC next week. This is curious. I wonder if it does have something to do with Adams.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For sure that Adams is ahead of Balanc, has to be
If URI takes Balanc then there is no room for Adams

I disagree with what Slim says about Balanc, especially about having the biggest upside from among Adams, Harris and Martin.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:For sure that Adams is ahead of Balanc, has to be

I disagree with what Slim says about Balanc, especially about having the biggest upside from among Adams, Harris and Martin.

True, Adams is ahead of Balanc. But unless something is up with Adams, why would Matt cancel his visit?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:For sure that Adams is ahead of Balanc, has to be

True, Adams is ahead of Balanc. But unless something is up with Adams, why would Matt cancel his visit?
or did URI cancel it?
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Springbrook senior guard Matt Balanc will take an official visit to Florida Gulf Coast this weekend, Mid-Atlantic Select director James Lee told The Post on Sunday. Balanc, a 6-foot-3 guard, is choosing among Florida Gulf Coast, Rhode Island and Quinnipiac, a final three he announced in September. He was not being heavily recruited until this summer, when strong showings in the three July evaluation periods (while playing for Mid-Atlantic Select) earned him 10 scholarship offers.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rec ... 03d5d88ea1
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we land Adams and Harris so no room for Balanc
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Slim, where art thou?
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

DC_Rams wrote:Slim, where art thou?

Right here? why? You mad cause I gave my opinion. I still stand by what I said. It's okay if you or others don't agree.

College is long grind. I wish all programs & kids well. Look at what happened in Vegas life to short for petty stuff. Enjoy!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't get why we are busting slim's chops? Seems like he (or she) came here offering good information. Question about whether he (or she) is connected to a recruit is fair, I guess, but also don't see why it matters or why we need to bust chops about it.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Pipe down, I actually had a question for him.

Heard Balanc is near close to committing to FGCU. Any truth to that?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seems like an easy way to do that would be to say "Hey slim, still around? I have a question for you." Rather than make it seem like you're calling him out for not being here. I don't think I'm the only one who took it that way.

Carry on.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TP, I’m sorry you guys took it that way.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If we don't get Adams, I hope we're still in on Balanc.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Balanc’s announcement coming Tuesday without a visit to Kingston is another sign that Rhody feels they have Adams.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm thinking Quinnipiac
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m going FGCU
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Good luck to him. Seems like a good player.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Slim, thoughts?
0 x
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

DC_Rams wrote:Slim, thoughts?

He's coming to URI. Lol
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Slim wrote:

He's coming to URI. Lol
That would be a crazy twist lol
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Slim wrote:

He's coming to URI. Lol
Preferred walk on? Lol
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I wish the best for the young man !!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Committed to Quinnipiac
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good luck, Matt. I will keep him in the back of my mind during his career and see how he turns out. If he has the upside a lot of people seem to think he has, he could dominate at Quinnipiac.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 18 MD G Matt Balanc (Quinnipiac Commit)

Q will have a good young backcourt.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Baker Dunleavy will do a good job there.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In his first college game he hit 23 points vs Brown. He was 3-5 on 3Ps

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Leading scorer at QPiac. 14.5 ppg. Probably end up in the portal since Dunleavy has done nothing with this program.
0 x