Mini Plans

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Mini Plans

Unread post by CT Rhody »

2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Mini Plans

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Great 5 gamer
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think the release of news on the min plans is a silent confirmation that there will be no additional home games. if URI does get another game, it will not be in Kingston. At any rate, it may not matter at all because it is looking more probable each new day that our current schedule (two games short than allowed) is likely the final schedule.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Didn't we already know it wasn't going to be in Kingston? Mike said in the Q and A that it would be "non-home".
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm getting so tired of the same few people complaining about the schedule.

We get it. You hate the schedule. You always hate the schedule, you always will hate the schedule. No matter what the schedule is, you don't like it.

Your gripe is registered in perpetuity. Every time any news is released about the schedule, we will all intuit your dissatisfaction so please don't feel the need to make a post about it. We already know.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This schedule is excellent, just playing 29 out of 31 games is a disappointment.
1 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My opinion exactly, Rhody15.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think anyone would choose to play two fewer games than allowed, but making that aspect of the schedule our only focus ignores the excellent job that was done scheduling the games that we actually do have. Also, the implication I am getting from constantly focusing on the number of games and not the quality of games is that the coaches and athletic department were somehow asleep at the switch when it comes to scheduling and I just don't think that is borne out by the games that are scheduled, what we know about the staff responsible for scheduling, or what we know about the scheduling landscape in college basketball.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Love these mini plans.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

I agree the mini plans are a great option. For a number of years now I have purchased the five game package and sat in section 207 around row H. When I started looking at this year's offerings, however, I quickly realized that I could get full season (16 games) seats in section 308, Row C, seats 2 & 3 (adjacent to Section 307) for $160. That's $10 per game and the view from 308 is not much different than from 207 (great angle to the court). Get them today before the mini plans go on sale and the good seats in that section are gone. And no, I do not work for URI or the Ryan Center.
0 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

...and by the way...get your seats today and it includes an invite to the preseason event tomorrow night
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramsman75 wrote:...and by the way...get your seats today and it includes an invite to the preseason event tomorrow night
I thought they didn't go on sale 'til next Wednesday?
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Thoughts from the North Country. It takes two to tango. We are a quality team that no one good wants to play. WE don't want to play anyone crappy. Mike has shared that they've essentially reached out to all of the top 150 at one time or another. The lack of the fourth NIT game hurts, but I respect the decision to not play a D2 team. CFL would probably have asked for a D2 opponent. DH wants quality games that will translate to quality wins, and a schedule that prepares us for the Dance. I respect that fully. So it's 29 games, vs 30 or 31. Win the conference and it all becomes moot.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
2 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramsman75 wrote:...and by the way...get your seats today and it includes an invite to the preseason event tomorrow night
The full season packages have been available for a while now...that was what I was referring to in the post and what I purchased.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramsman75 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
The full season packages have been available for a while now...that was what I was referring to in the post and what I purchased.
Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about the mini-plans.
0 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

5 game package (from $80)
Sat Dec 02 vs Providence TBA TV: CBSSN
Sat Dec 16 vs College of Charleston 4:00 PM
Sat Dec 30 vs George Mason 4:00 PM
Sat Jan 13 vs St. Bonaventure 11:00 AM TV: ESPNU
Fri Feb 09 vs Davidson 7:00 PM TV: ESPN2

3 game package (from $39)
Sat Jan 27 vs Duquesne 12:00 PM TV: NBCSN
Fri Feb 23 vs Dayton 7:00 PM TV: ESPN2
Choice of any one (1) of below:

Fri Nov 10 vs UNC Asheville 7:30 PM
Sun Nov 19 vs Holy Cross 1:00 PM
Tue Nov 28 vs Brown
Thu Dec 21 vs Iona 7:00 PM
Wed Dec 27 vs Florida Gulf Coast 7:00 PM TV: ESPNU
Wed Jan 03 vs La Salle 7:00 PM
Wed Jan 17 vs Massachusetts 7:00 PM
Tue Feb 13 vs Richmond TBA TV: CBSSN
Tue Feb 27 vs Saint Joseph's TBA TV: CBSSN

All 16 games (from $160)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Only one section left in the 200s, section 209. I guess tickets will be hard to get this year, which is good. But those seats suck, so I'm out this year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I actually like that section, plus it's close to the Pub. To each their own.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I actually like that section, plus it's close to the Pub. To each their own.
I'm old. I can't see that far....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Fair enough, I just didn't want people on the fence to think it was a unanimous opinion that those were bad seats.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Fair enough, I just didn't want people on the fence to think it was a unanimous opinion that those were bad seats.
No, I just need to be as close to midcourt as possible. I thought I could at least get a corner section.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As a reminder - these mini plans went on sale today Wednesday 09/27/17 at 10:00am.

Single game tickets will go on sale in mid October.

Rhode Island Men's Basketball Tickets
http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/men-s_basketball/index
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Picked up my 5 & 3 game plan tickets today. Hooray!
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

spookydog wrote:Picked up my 5 & 3 game plan tickets today. Hooray!
What sections were left, Spooky?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Billyboy78 wrote:
I didn't inquire about lower level. My 5 game is in 312 & 3 game is in 304. But in talking to the sales rep there seemed to be numerous options in the upper sections. Maybe not 1st row in the 300s though.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

spookydog wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
I didn't inquire about lower level. My 5 game is in 312 & 3 game is in 304. But in talking to the sales rep there seemed to be numerous options in the upper sections. Maybe not 1st row in the 300s though.
Was told same thing. I was told record sales for season tickets, mini plans thus far. Only thing in 200s for packages was behind basket in 209. Been away never put deposit to get on priority list last week or tickets would have been better. Single game tickets also go on sale 10/20
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I talked to Associate AD. She said they had a 15% increase in season tickets.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:I talked to Associate AD. She said they had a 15% increase in season tickets.

That is still not a huge overall number. I don't know if URI even had 3,000 full season tickets last year. I base this on the fact that there were five games last year that only had attendance in the 3,000 range. Take out students and single game tickets from those numbers and you probably get a decent estimate at season tickets (assuming most season tickets were used for the games). 15% of 3k is just an additional 450 (about 6% of Ryan Center cap).
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

While not huge, add 450 to every game and think about how the crowd looks. It seems small, but anytime you get 6000+ in the building we have a great home court atmosphere. Plus, I think you'll see an even bigger student presence at these games this year plus mini plan and single game fans. You could be looking at a boost of closer to 750 per game when all is said and done
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Record sales for mini-plans too, and they just went on sale yesterday.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If season tickets +mini-plans = over 4000, that's a great start. Add individual game sales, walk up sales and students and we're looking at large crowds every game. I hate to say it because it's been debated before, but if we beat PC, ticket sales will go through the roof for the remainder of the season.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:While not huge, add 450 to every game and think about how the crowd looks. It seems small, but anytime you get 6000+ in the building we have a great home court atmosphere. Plus, I think you'll see an even bigger student presence at these games this year plus mini plan and single game fans. You could be looking at a boost of closer to 750 per game when all is said and done

All additional tickets sold will certainly help make for a better environment. URI averaged 5,173 last year. That is 2,484 short of capacity. The best attended year in the fifteen year history of the Ryan Center was back in 2007-08 with an average of 5,915.

RYAN CENTER URI HOME ATTENDANCE BY AVERAGE
SEASON | GAMES | TOTAL | AVERAGE
2007-08 | 15 | 88,731 | 5,915
2003-04 | 17 | 97,762 | 5,751
2002-03 | 17 | 96,194 | 5,658
2014-15 | 16 | 86,461 | 5,404
2008-09 | 14 | 74,196 | 5,300
2009-10 | 17 | 88,853 | 5,227
2016-17 | 16 | 82,761 | 5,173
2005-06 | 16 | 76,150 | 4,760
2015-16 | 17 | 80,198 | 4,718
2004-05 | 14 | 65,227 | 4,659
2010-11 | 16 | 72,598 | 4,537
2006-07 | 15 | 67,293 | 4,486
2013-14 | 16 | 71,058 | 4,441
2012-13 | 15 | 64,368 | 4,291
2011-12 | 15 | 57,428 | 3,829
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seawright put the people in the seats.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:If season tickets +mini-plans = over 4000, that's a great start. Add individual game sales, walk up sales and students and we're looking at large crowds every game. I hate to say it because it's been debated before, but if we beat PC, ticket sales will go through the roof for the remainder of the season.
You should hate to say it because it's been proven wrong. It's not a debate. There are facts and then there are wrong opinions.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:If season tickets +mini-plans = over 4000, that's a great start. Add individual game sales, walk up sales and students and we're looking at large crowds every game. I hate to say it because it's been debated before, but if we beat PC, ticket sales will go through the roof for the remainder of the season.
You should hate to say it because it's been proven wrong. It's not a debate. There are facts and then there are wrong opinions.
You really don't think a win over PC would amp up the interest of the casual fan?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not only do I not think it, I've provided the numbers to show it doesn't happen.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Record sales for mini-plans too, and they just went on sale yesterday.
This is technically true as far as when they were available to the public, but I bought mine a week ago because I made a deposit. I assume many, if not most people, did the same. I spoke with the box office first thing last Wednesday, so I'm pretty sure I was among the first mini-plan ticket orders, and the only thing they had in the 200swere in the corners already. I only get 2 tickets thru the mini-plan, and was told that season tickets had ate up everything that was available in the 200s, including the seats I've had the last few years. I'm fine with where I ended up, in the front of a 300 section at midcourt, but also a little disappointed that I have to move my seats and move further from the court. At the same time, I'm happy for the program as this seems like a good sign for sales.

I don't buy season tickets because I live an hour and a half from campus and I have two kids under 3 years old, and I'd rather not eat tickets that someone else could buy. I do donate to the Ram Fund and wish that would help me keep my same seats year over year, but I guess I understand what they're trying to do.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Not only do I not think it, I've provided the numbers to show it doesn't happen.
Without having the numbers in front of me, I'd predict that beating PC when PC and URI are both mediocre-to-bad wouldn't have too much of an impact. Beating them when we are both supposed to be good could make a difference because you'd have more people closer to the fence, more people paying attention to the game, and more to influence the decision to go to a game than JUST beating Providence. To me, it is probably largely circumstance-specific.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Stats are for losers, as BB would say....just kidding. But every season is different. It's already evident that there is momentum building from last season as record sales in both seasons and mini-plans show. I think beating PC at the RC in a great, loud, sold out atmosphere would add to the momentum, especially to the people at that game. They would want to see more games in person. That's my opinion. It's only logical, isn't it?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The success and hype could/should draw more students too. Just as it does for mini plans and season tickets.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:The success and hype could/should draw more students too. Just as it does for mini plans and season tickets.
According to Rhowdy, it doesn't. How can it not?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think this is the year we avg over 6k finally
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Reef, I thought that would happen last year. Hope you're right.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think the PC game matters when we're trying to be taken seriously.

Until February last year, we weren't being taken seriously - with good reason.

Now, reigning A10 champion. NCAA birth, victory, and down-to-the-wire finish against a final four team - returning 3 starters, 5 who started games last year.

Of course the PC game will help, but that is only the individual sales. We're a serious program now so that base of season ticket holders and mini plans will be there. This should be a 6k year.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote:I think the PC game matters when we're trying to be taken seriously.

Until February last year, we weren't being taken seriously - with good reason.

Now, reigning A10 champion. NCAA birth, victory, and down-to-the-wire finish against a final four team - returning 3 starters, 5 who started games last year.

Of course the PC game will help, but that is only the individual sales. We're a serious program now so that base of season ticket holders and mini plans will be there. This should be a 6k year.

URI was actually off to a decent early start in attendance last year when it was in the national rankings. Up through the sixth game vs Belmont on 11/25/16, it had averaged 5,082 through four home games against lower profile teams with an over all record of 5-1 (only loss to Duke and a win over ranked Cinci). Things really went off the rails after that as URI lost its next two road games to Valpo and PC. These two losses along with the game at Houston (all played between 11/29-12/10) really killed momentum. The PC loss was critical but I think the combination of losing ALL three was the ultimate downfall which really impacted the psyche of the fans. Things never really recovered after that. Key losses play a big part in momentum. Just look at the 3,791 attendance number for the Fordham game after the emotional loss to Dayton which drew 7,394. Rhody fans were not all that different than the team/staff with a bad hangover effect after some tough losses (such as UD/Lasalle and UD/Fordham).

RHODE ISLAND HOME ATTENDANCE 2016-17
OPPONENT | ATTENDANCE | TO DATE | AVERAGE
Dartmouth | 6,052 | 6,052 | 6,052
Marist | 4,021 | 10,073 | 5,037
Brown | 5,630 | 15,703 | 5,234
Belmont | 4,626 | 20,329 | 5,082
Old Dominion | 4,250 | 24,579 | 4,916
Holy Cross | 3,537 | 28,116 | 4,686
William & Mary | 3,570 | 31,686 | 4,527
St. Joe's | 3,880 | 35,566 | 4,446
La Salle | 3,753 | 39,319 | 4,369
UMass | 6,202 | 45,521 | 4,552
St. Bonaventure | 6,757 | 52,278 | 4,753
George Washington | 5,190 | 57,468 | 4,789
Dayton | 7,394 | 64,862 | 4,989
Fordham | 3,791 | 68,653 | 4,904
VCU | 6,845 | 75,498 | 5,033
Davidson | 7,263 | 82,761 | 5,173
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'll be very curious to see how many we get for opening night/banner raising. Do just the season ticket and diehards go to this one or do the casuals show up too? Students should be there big time, I would think.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'll be very curious to see how many we get for opening night/banner raising. Do just the season ticket and diehards go to this one or do the casuals show up too? Students should be there big time, I would think.

Rhody had 6,052 for Dartmouth last year when it opened the season nationally ranked. I would think the opener this year vs UNC-Asheville will attract a bit more. The openers usually draw a bit better than many of the other OOC games. The difference maker for attendance will be how URI does collectively in its early high profile games vs SHU, UVA/Vandy, PC, and Alabama. The results of those games will greatly impact attendance for the other OOC and early league Ryan Center contests.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:The success and hype could/should draw more students too. Just as it does for mini plans and season tickets.
According to Rhowdy, it doesn't. How can it not?
Two different arguments. I said we should expect more students this year, and that will start in mid November, not early December.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No excuses for the 5 games that drew under 4K that's horrible
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The dates, days and time of day have an impact. There are seven home games (out of 14 total) when the students are on winter break (Dec 16 - Jan 21). That seems higher than usual.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”