WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Frank_Keaney_95
Michael Andersen

Re: WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Unread post by Frank_Keaney_95 »

One question I have...

If Officer Martin was struck and witnessed this incident first hand then why didn't he file this report or give any input? The report doesn't seem to include any first hand accounts by Martin or any witnesses.

Regardless, if true, not a good look for Rhody hoops.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

Another point I would like to make

for those whom have ever been at the open practice. At the end the team circles up and gives the 123 family. All of you are questioning Coach Boswells morals and values here..

I for one could not be prouder of this coach. As a coach, I preach for my team to have each others back and that includes me theirs and them mine. Every player we sign sites the family atmosphere this team has. So coach goes to the aid of players who are in trouble. FIRE HIM IF HE DOESN'T. Gets arrested for essentially swearing, however what happens if he is not there. We may be looking at a worse situation. Question him cause he says he was a custodian. Why cause he knows this arrest is going to be looked at by some people as mark on the program. My timing my be off. (it isn't) We had a guard from Penn on campus for that concert. Did he sign. Yes Why cause he liked the coaches and the players and how this team is a family. Wonder if a coach putting his career, name and everything on the line to save his players had something to do with that.

As far as those on this board saying the players were drunk and out to late. Give me a break. one you don't know if they were drunk. And two if they were then they must have been the only one drinking at the concert. (and Stan I know you are over 21 but you can't drink because this board says so)

These guys stuck together got out of a bad situation. My bet that plays off in March

As far as PC trolls thinking we stepped to your level. These RAMS. Did not sexually assault any woman, or beat up any fellow students. You can all go kick rocks. This is no where close to that. SEE YOU in December
3 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Another point I would like to make

for those whom have ever been at the open practice. At the end the team circles up and gives the 123 family. All of you are questioning Coach Boswells morals and values here..

I for one could not be prouder of this coach. As a coach, I preach for my team to have each others back and that includes me theirs and them mine. Every player we sign sites the family atmosphere this team has. So coach goes to the aid of players who are in trouble. FIRE HIM IF HE DOESN'T. Gets arrested for essentially swearing, however what happens if he is not there. We may be looking at a worse situation. Question him cause he says he was a custodian. Why cause he knows this arrest is going to be looked at by some people as mark on the program. My timing my be off. (it isn't) We had a guard from Penn on campus for that concert. Did he sign. Yes Why cause he liked the coaches and the players and how this team is a family. Wonder if a coach putting his career, name and everything on the line to save his players had something to do with that.

As far as those on this board saying the players were drunk and out to late. Give me a break. one you don't know if they were drunk. And two if they were then they must have been the only one drinking at the concert. (and Stan I know you are over 21 but you can't drink because this board says so)

These guys stuck together got out of a bad situation. My bet that plays off in March

As far as PC trolls thinking we stepped to your level. These RAMS. Did not sexually assault any woman, or beat up any fellow students. You can all go kick rocks. This is no where close to that. SEE YOU in December
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

SO FIRED UP POSTED THREE TIMES
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Kingston is pretty spot on here. I'm much more embarrassed by the reaction of some of our posters to the police report than I am of anything Ty did. As we knew before we read the report, there was a commotion, Ty got involved to try to keep the player out of trouble, the cops overreacted and arrested him, he didn't want to be arrested and vocalized such preference, and at some point along the way Stan may have come into physical contact with a cop (allegedly); plus Ty showed he has a good sense of humor. The only thing we learned from the police report that is new is that Ty is funny and that the cop is long-winded. Ty's thing will likely be dismissed with some community service or something - this happens every weekend night in just about every city or town in the country. Obviously if you're URI you'd prefer to not have this in the media, but nothing that happened here is what any sane person would call a big deal.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

TruePoint wrote:Kingston is pretty spot on here. I'm much more embarrassed by the reaction of some of our posters to the police report than I am of anything Ty did. As we knew before we read the report, there was a commotion, Ty got involved to try to keep the player out of trouble, the cops overreacted and arrested him, he didn't want to be arrested and vocalized such preference, and at some point along the way Stan may have come into physical contact with a cop (allegedly); plus Ty showed he has a good sense of humor. The only thing we learned from the police report that is new is that Ty is funny and that the cop is long-winded. Ty's thing will likely be dismissed with some community service or something - this happens every weekend night in just about every city or town in the country. Obviously if you're URI you'd prefer to not have this in the media, but nothing that happened here is what any sane person would call a big deal.

only things i can agree with on about with tis post.

A. it's not a big deal

b. I would prefer Ty taking the arrest compared to SR. (eve this may have been more more the niceness/laziness of opens anything Boswell did)

c. I would not take any action with Stan Robinson basedo the supposed "Punch" at the very least.

But the rest of the points.

Lying to a cop ( I got arrested for obstructing justice charge at age 18 for doing something very similar). Is "Having a sense of humor"?

"He said Multiple time he did not want not be arrested" Only after repeated warnings of him to stop escalating the situation and after it became clear he was indeed going to get arrested.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Almost nobody knows what to say when you realize you're about to be arrested and being arrested isn't something you ever thought about because you're not a criminal.

Its like ah! Read tons of police reports and they always put what the person said and it usually isn't a balanced reaction to the realization that they're being arrested.

Just my 2 cents. I've read a bunch.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kingston wrote:I have good knowledge of the incidents that lead to the team being in the bathroom at the concert.

There was an altercation at the concert between the basketball team and another group of men at the concert. The basketball team left the altercation and gathered in bathroom to avoid further conflict. I am high school teacher and had several students at the concert who all gave me the same report. As my students saw the team leave the floor one can only assume Coach Boswell saw the team leave also. Other wise how would he have ended up in that bathroom from the box seats. And as I read in the report Stan was upset about the incident and was angry in the bathroom. Why would a coach be there in the middle of all this. Maybe because his basketball family was in trouble. Think he was there telling the players to go out and fight. probably not. my guess is Stan get a hold of yourself. not worth it. so forth. Seems to me according to the report URI police were trying to disperse and not arrest. Officer Marler comes in late to the seen and makes arrest. Says he has trouble arresting Boswell so URI officer comes to his aid then lets go. I'm sure it very common to help an officer then leave him. Why did that officer stop helping office Marler? My guess not to comfortable with what was taking place. And you hear an officer was struck, not a lawyer but not sure how that stands in court.

my brother is a former police officer and I have the upmost respect for the men and women in blue. And I know its tough to judge when you are not there yourself. But a quick google search of officer Marler comes up with this. (IT WONT LET ME CUT AND PASTE)

http://www.ricentral.com/narragansett_t ... 60e15.html

Officer Marler gets in a physical arrest with a 60 special needs man which he slaps glasses off a face and maces as well as three close fists punches and a taser. This is after the neighbor tells you the man is special needs. In which you tell him not to do anything STUPID. By the way the offense is a speeding ticket. In which you find the man parked in this own driveway.
Hey Kingston, were you told who the 'other group of men' were? I've been told by 2 different sources who they were. I think if I heard it from a 3rd source, that would clinch it for me. If you don't think it's appropriate for the board until legal proceedings are finished, you can PM me your answer. Thanks.
Last edited by Billyboy78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If anyone's been in or near a brawl at an event of this size and type (alcohol/drugs) and possibly low lighting, its an absolute Sh*t show. That being said, I hope this ends soon, Stan the Man needs to be on the court.
3 x
GO RAMS
Kingston
Steve Chubin

I can tell you kids in school say all the guys were huge. The one student who is a URI fan said "Cyril is a beast. He broke it up. Some guys were as big as him. " By the events that were explained, i have ideas, But these are teenage students giving me a play by play. My guess is the basketball team will not be in providence this Saturday night.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We are narrowing in on the issue, here.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kingston wrote:I can tell you kids in school say all the guys were huge. The one student who is a URI fan said "Cyril is a beast. He broke it up. Some guys were as big as him. " By the events that were explained, i have ideas, But these are teenage students giving me a play by play. My guess is the basketball team will not be in providence this Saturday night.
So you were told the exact same thing I was. Same story from 3 totally different sources, including several who witnessed it first hand. That's good enough for me.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

How would this page react if the basketball team was at a concert doing college things two days before a game?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Reading between the lines, it would seem best for all that a certain group from the city of Providence only come to the URI campus once every two years.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

A certain group that by all accounts instigated the proceedings.

That might help lessen any team penalties handed out by Dan.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kingston wrote:How would this page react if the basketball team was at a concert doing college things two days before a game?
I'm not following you on this one, Kingston.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ah I see what Kingston is saying and that's a new spin - hadn't heard that one yet.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Kingston wrote:How would this page react if the basketball team was at a concert doing college things two days before a game?
I'm not following you on this one, Kingston.
I'm not sure if I'm following correctly either... the concert was on a Thursday correct, two days before Saturday... College football plays on saturdays.... is that where we are going? Hmm...

Honestly, I have no idea.. I'm just trying to follow along lol
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Dots are being connected....
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Truth is I am going on the word of high school students. The Large majority of them are PC fans and they would know there players. It was not PC basketball players. Who it was i have have no clue. To be honest to speculate who it was is wrong and unfair.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Kingston wrote:Truth is I am going on the word of high school students. The Large majority of them are PC fans and they would know there players. It was not PC basketball players. Who it was i have have no clue. To be honest to speculate who it was is wrong and unfair.
Conflicting reports. To this point have not heard anything indicating any URI football players were involved or even in the vicinity.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, now I'm not sure. Hopefully the truth comes out.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

TruePoint wrote:
Kingston wrote:Truth is I am going on the word of high school students. The Large majority of them are PC fans and they would know there players. It was not PC basketball players. Who it was i have have no clue. To be honest to speculate who it was is wrong and unfair.
Conflicting reports. To this point have not heard anything indicating any URI football players were involved or even in the vicinity.
I do know that the 2 PC players that were there at the concert, were not involved or in the vicinity of the incident. TBH, it could just be random students from URI, PC, JWU, who knows. It was a concert that appeals to many college kids. It might get revealed, might not. But I agree with Kingston, to speculate who it was is wrong and unfair. I suggested football team more as a question because I didn't understand what message was trying relayed above. Not fair to drag anyone into it, whether it be PC basketball team or URI football team.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think Kingston is giving Ty too much credit regarding protecting his players. I believe that was his initial intent. Once he was outside the bathroom, his behavior was unacceptable. He was no longer protecting the players and was inciting the crowd outside the bathroom. He was causing a bigger problem. I believe he was given two chances to stop and walk away before he was told he was being arrested. Let's stop blaming the cops.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Any university discipline given to Ty will probably be announced after his hearing date.

Stan? Who knows.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Rhody83 wrote:I think Kingston is giving Ty too much credit regarding protecting his players. I believe that was his initial intent. Once he was outside the bathroom, his behavior was unacceptable. He was no longer protecting the players and was inciting the crowd outside the bathroom. He was causing a bigger problem. I believe he was given two chances to stop and walk away before he was told he was being arrested. Let's stop blaming the cops.
I couldn't agree more. His job as a coach is to diffuse the situation, but according to the police report his behavior outside the bathroom just further provoked the crowd and escalated the situation. He's supposed to be the level-headed adult in the room, not the instigator. This is not a good representation of our basketball program or our University, especially by someone who's in a position of authority. The optics are not good here.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And you know other programs will use it against him [and by extension the program] during recruiting.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

rambone 78 wrote:And you know other programs will use it against him [and by extension the program] during recruiting.
I think anyone who has the balls to cast stones in light of today’s FBI revelation should be awfully careful... this situation could be any coach trying to protect his players...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is the problem with laying any blame on Ty....

"...but according to the police report..."

That is one side of the story.
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote:This is the problem with laying any blame on Ty....

"...but according to the police report..."

That is one side of the story.
Totally agree!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm told this is still an active investigation and SKPD still expects to make another arrest.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Was Ty's hearing this morning?

It wouldn't shock me if they made another arrest I guess...this is almost out of the news and heaven forbid a police department not pursue as much press coverage as possible. One thing I will say, though, based on the story someone posted earlier of the officer that arrested Ty beating a developmentally disabled man for speeding on his bike and now doing this glory-seeking stuff at the Ryan with Ty and Stan like he was trying out for the COPS tv show, I'm not sure this guy is fit to be policing the community.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This arresting officer isn't a PC fan, is he?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As bad as this is for URI, it looks like fellow A-10 member St Louis has an even bigger present issue with law enforcement:

3 women report sexual assaults by SLU student-athletes; St. Louis police investigating
By Ashley Jost St. Louis Post-Dispatch Sep 27, 2017
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... f3df1.html
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so Travis Ford !!!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The story doesn't mention which team is involved.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Continuance granted until October 5.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote:The story doesn't mention which team is involved.
SLU does not have football. Basketball is its highest profile sport and it has been the center of speculation for this incident (check their fan forum).
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Could a 2nd arrest depend on what is revealed in court today? Ty is under oath and has to tell the truth. No janitor stories today.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch‏ @BillKoch25 · 1h1 hour ago
Continuance to Oct. 5 issued for #URI assistant coach Ty Boswell. Faces misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Could a 2nd arrest depend on what is revealed in court today? Ty is under oath and has to tell the truth. No janitor stories today.
I don't think he will be under oath - today wasn't a trial, there is no way this will ever go to trial, and even if it did I can't imagine his lawyer would let him testify. He has probably given a statement to police and been subject to questioning at this point, but you aren't "under oath" in those scenarios, and he should have had a lawyer present (PSA: never talk to police without a lawyer. I won't talk to a cop in line at Dunkin. If I had a cousin who was police, I wouldn't talk to him at Thanksgiving dinner unless my lawyer was there).
5 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

You mean there was no Perry Mason moment today?
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Regarding SLU, 4 men's basketball players.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

IF the Police were going to make any more arrests they would have happened by now. No need to worry about players getting arrested at this point.

The hearings will likely get continued perhaps a couple more times while they hash something out between the lawyers. Eventually Ty will get a small fine and some community service and it will be over.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

EGram wrote:IF the Police were going to make any more arrests they would have happened by now. No need to worry about players getting arrested at this point.

The hearings will likely get continued perhaps a couple more times while they hash something out between the lawyers. Eventually Ty will get a small fine and some community service and it will be over.
EGram are you the District Attorney and the Judge in SK :shock:
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Is EGram SKPD’s Prosecution Officer? :lol:
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

EGram wrote:IF the Police were going to make any more arrests they would have happened by now. No need to worry about players getting arrested at this point.

Not far from the truth on some accords; there may be more arrests, specifically to a certain starter we loved during our spring run...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I feel like people saying that if there has been no arrest so far, there won't be one aren't that familiar with these kinds of investigations. In one sense, the longer it goes could mean it's a more serious charge or they're going after the charge more seriously - if they are lining up witnesses and taking statements, those things take time. Of course, the time that passes doesn't necessarily mean that charges will be forthcoming, because the witnesses could not give testimony that supports the charge they are going for. Or a million other things could be going on behind the scenes. Not really possible to say; the process is opaque by design. But no charges after a week or two does not necessarily mean you're out of the woods. And likely, if he is ever notified that he is out of the woods, the public won't be privy to that. I doubt the player will make any kind of statement acknowledging what happened, and I'm sure the team and school won't.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I feel like people saying that if there has been no arrest so far, there won't be one aren't that familiar with these kinds of investigations. In one sense, the longer it goes could mean it's a more serious charge or they're going after the charge more seriously - if they are lining up witnesses and taking statements, those things take time. Of course, the time that passes doesn't necessarily mean that charges will be forthcoming, because the witnesses could not give testimony that supports the charge they are going for. Or a million other things could be going on behind the scenes. Not really possible to say; the process is opaque by design. But no charges after a week or two does not necessarily mean you're out of the woods. And likely, if he is ever notified that he is out of the woods, the public won't be privy to that. I doubt the player will make any kind of statement acknowledging what happened, and I'm sure the team and school won't.
Yeah but on Law & Order these things usually get wrapped up pretty quickly!
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018