General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:List is narrowing; priorities are being set.

GUARDS:
Brendan Adams, MD
Tyrese Martin Pa. (URI)
Amir Harris MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Jeenathan Williams, NY

FORWARDS:
Jermaine Harris, MD
Dana Tate, Calif. (URI)
Chris Doherty Mass.
Joel Ntambwe Congo
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Birdman is on fire tonight, regarding a lot of subjects!

Bird‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 34m34 minutes ago
Replying to @TheBirdmanJrJr

We all want J Harris. Claiming he's coming here from someone who "knows him" serves no one except for the person looking for attention.

Bird‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 39m39 minutes ago
Actually a PSA for everyone: any person who claims to know the thought process of a 17 yr old, is a self serving liar, hoping to be correct.

@TheBirdmanJrJr
Doesn't mean he won't come here, but to claim that it's locked in or 90% is pure bullshit, throwing shit against the wall hoping it sticks.

TheBirdmanJrJr · 43m43 minutes ago
Side note: just because I've been asked this a lot lately too. Anyone claiming to know what Jermaine Harris is doing, is a fuckin liar. LIAR

Bird‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 46m46 minutes ago
If we're lucky enough to wake up tmrw to @Harris5Amir committing to @RhodyMBB then I'm gonna celebrate my ass off. Because I trust Danny

Bird‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 50m50 minutes ago
Just because some "writer/scout" you've never heard of, tells you that some kid he's never seen, isn't worthy of his "top 100" it's all bull

Bird‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 51m51 minutes ago
It's quite sad that Rhody fans don't recognize what's actually happening with our team. These guys are better then any Baron recruit.

Bird‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 58m58 minutes ago But where was Cy on the services? Anyone? He was barely on them. Barely top 300. But he was "top 150" in our staffs eyes. Who was right?

Bird‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 1h1 hour ago
The @RhodyMBB staff compiles their own lists, their own "top 150" yet they don't label it like that. Dana is in it. So is Tyrese. So was Cy.

‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 1h1 hour ago
Look at Dana Tate. Most services don't have a ranking for him. One had him as a top 100 player in the 2019 class. It all means nothing.

‏ @TheBirdmanJrJr · 1h1 hour ago
At the end of the day, you have to trust in your staffs evaluations. To say DH looks at the top 150 & only chases them is stupidity & a lie.

But even good staffs make mistakes. Far less then "good" recruiting services though. Jeff Dowtin had minimal offers, how'd that play out?

Spring signings outside of the supposed top 100, always reek of desperation to me. Pool of players dries up, coaches make desperate moves.

If you want a good idea of how to judge a prospect you've never seen, trust in the staffs recruiting them early on in the process.

Most times, depending on the class, the diff between no. 42 & no. 142 can be so minimal. There's no standard for judging sites accuracy.

We're talking about "experts" from their mothers basement, labeling kids that the majority have never seen in person. Don't put stock in it.

Recruiting services are good for exposure and most can get a good composite of the top 10-25 some odd players. After that? It's a crapshoot.

People need to relax on the so-called "expert" recruiting services. Are there some that have a clue? Yea, kinda. But most don't.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He's been right before.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I tend to agree with this also , I don't put much stock into these rankings. I trust DH and staff abilities to recruit the talent they see that fits the style he likes to play
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Good progress thus far. As of 09/17/17 Hurley and staff have three verbal commitments - Tate, Martin, and A Harris. Two to go.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

With 2 schollies left, it would seem that priorities would be J. Harris with Doherty as a plan B, and B. Adams with Balanc as a plan B. Just my guess.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Billyboy78 wrote:With 2 schollies left, it would seem that priorities would be J. Harris with Doherty as a plan B, and B. Adams with Balanc as a plan B. Just my guess.
Agreed, my guess as well. Wonder if they would take a commit from the plan B's before the plan A's decide, that's the tricky part in all this.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am beginning to think that the performance of the 2016-17 team came at a critical juncture with five open slots to fill this year. It looks like the success of last year with an NCAA win is paying recruiting dividends. No longer have just what we WILL DO to pitch. Can now also point to what we HAVE DONE.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:List is narrowing; priorities are being set.

GUARDS:
Brendan Adams, MD
Tyrese Martin Pa. (URI)
Amir Harris MD (URI)
Matt Balanc, MD

FORWARDS:
Jermaine Harris, MD (URI)
Dana Tate, Calif. (URI)

------------

Chris Doherty Mass.
Joel Ntambwe Congo
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Last edited by Iggy1979 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

247Sports has us with the No. 29 recruiting class in 2018.

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basket ... amRankings
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also if we get Jermaine and Adams I am guessing we move into a top 20 recruiting class ???
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Who knows, but this is new stuff around here.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We need Jermaine big time....all the pieces look to be there going forward...except that elusive 4 star big of course.....if it doesn't happen it's a long wait for Doherty...and I'm not as confident about him since he visited quite a while ago and he's going to wait several more months before committing to anyone it seems.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote:I am beginning to think that the performance of the 2016-17 team came at a critical juncture with five open slots to fill this year. It looks like the success of last year with an NCAA win is paying recruiting dividends. No longer have just what we WILL DO to pitch. Can now also point to what we HAVE DONE.
The pitch is still about what we will do - we can now just point out that we are further down the path. DH wants to build a final four contender and be the Gonzaga of the east. It is not impossible, but everyone needs to buy into being that great.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The Fab 5 has been overused. I like The Ramtastic Five!
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's a good one 78
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

What's incredible is they never had to go to Plan B. Most years we would've been happy with a class of Doherty, Balanc and Gebrewhit.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:What's incredible is they never had to go to Plan B. Most years we would've been happy with a class of Doherty, Balanc and Gebrewhit.
WELCOME TO THE NEW NORMAL
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be key if we make Sweet 16 or better this year which can only help with future recruits
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:What's incredible is they never had to go to Plan B. Most years we would've been happy with a class of Doherty, Balanc and Gebrewhit.
and judging from comments during the recruiting period some would have been happy with Doherty, Balanc and/or Gebrewhit even this year.

Interesting that the top guy of the class, 4 Star 80th Ranked Big Man Jermaine Harris, was a guy we recruited for several years, even before he was a good student and before he was a good basketball player. He visited 3 times, built a relationship not only with the Coaching staff but with players on the team as well. People talk about the A10 Championship and the NCAA Tournament Performance and being mentioned on TV a lot, but URI Coaching Staff was working on Harris for a long time. Those things helped but it was a long time recruiting process that got him here.

Staff also got their man last year in Daron Russell. He had a phenomenal Senior Year in High School and URI would have had a much lesser shot at him had they not signed him prior to his Senior Year Season.

Staff has to be thinking now they went 1 for 1 last year (kept one scholarship open for possible 5th year, or transfer or JC prospect) and 5 for 5 this year. Do they shoot higher? Clearly they are already recruiting at a VCU, Dayton level - now they shoot even higher, take some risks. Premier team in the A10. No reason why this URI Team can't recruit as well or better than our neighbors to the north. Or UCONN. It's getting more and more obvious.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
and judging from comments during the recruiting period some would have been happy with Doherty, Balanc and/or Gebrewhit even this year.

Interesting that the top guy of the class, 4 Star 80th Ranked Big Man Jermaine Harris, was a guy we recruited for several years, even before he was a good student and before he was a good basketball player. He visited 3 times, built a relationship not only with the Coaching staff but with players on the team as well. People talk about the A10 Championship and the NCAA Tournament Performance and being mentioned on TV a lot, but URI Coaching Staff was working on Harris for a long time. Those things helped but it was a long time recruiting process that got him here.

Staff also got their man last year in Daron Russell. He had a phenomenal Senior Year in High School and URI would have had a much lesser shot at him had they not signed him prior to his Senior Year Season.

Staff has to be thinking now they went 1 for 1 last year (kept one scholarship open for possible 5th year, or transfer or JC prospect) and 5 for 5 this year. Do they shoot higher? Clearly they are already recruiting at a VCU, Dayton level - now they shoot even higher, take some risks. Premier team in the A10. No reason why this URI Team can't recruit as well or better than our neighbors to the north. Or UCONN. It's getting more and more obvious.
Shooting higher....we have offered at least two 5* players that I know of, Jalen Leque and Aiden Igiehorn. We have also offered four 4* players that I know of, Casey Morsell (another DC area kid), Ismael Massoud and Dalano Banton (both teammates of Tate at Mac Duffie) and Kofi Cockburn from NY. I'm sure there are more. And that's just the '19 class.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Shooting higher....we have offered at least two 5* players that I know of, Jalen Leque and Aiden Igiehorn. We have also offered four 4* players that I know of, Casey Morsell (another DC area kid), Ismael Massoud and Dalano Banton (both teammates of Tate at Mac Duffie) and Kofi Cockburn from NY. I'm sure there are more. And that's just the '19 class.
Yep. We can already see it in the prospects being pursued in the 2019 and 2020 Classes
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Yep. We can already see it in the prospects being pursued in the 2019 and 2020 Classes
I still think we're a couple of NCAA runs away from realistically being involved with 5* prospects, but I'm beginning to think it might be possible someday. We'll see. That's a tall order to get them to come to URI and play in the A10. But I can still dream.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's the issue Billyboy...if we make a FF then maybe it's possible....for a small state school to reach those heights.....we need to enjoy the ride while we can.

I have no doubt Dan and co. have the will to get there....but will URI be able to support what it takes?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I think Dan is smart enough to go after players that he thinks they have a realistic chance at. I also think they will go after one guard (shooting guard with height preferably) and one front court player with the 19' class.

I mention that since the theme seems to be they will target two front court players with the class since they graduate two front court players.
0 x
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

According to my count there are three scholarship juniors on the roster: Thompson, Preston, Akele. Why doesn't that translate into three scholarships for the Class of 2019? What am I missing?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

MrRamsDen76 wrote:According to my count there are three scholarship juniors on the roster: Thompson, Preston, Akele. Why doesn't that translate into three scholarships for the Class of 2019? What am I missing?
Thompson’s set to redshirt this season.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If I remember correctly Luguentz Dort was a character in the Harry Potter books....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Was a big commitment for ASU

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Could we see an Arizona St.-URI matchup in the NCAA tourney?

Let that one sink in for a while.....
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:Could we see an Arizona St.-URI matchup in the NCAA tourney?

Let that one sink in for a while.....
I'd hate to see what that would do to the Hurley family.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Updated recruiting rankings for the A10:

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Baske ... rence=A-10

ESPN, which some people still insist on using as the most credible, has A. Harris still committed to URI and Brendan Adams as undeclared.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

speaking of ESPN....anyone know of any other site...where you can easily get scores and sports news for all sports? Ready for something different....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I love the CBS sports app
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah, I switched from ESPN to CBS a long time ago
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

CBS is good and has probably the best college basketball coverage now.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:speaking of ESPN....anyone know of any other site...where you can easily get scores and sports news for all sports? Ready for something different....
I use the app "Thuuz"... It notifies me anytime something exciting is going on and it keeps me updated on all of my favorite teams/sports.

I mainly use it for Soccer because I never know when games are on. It's awesome.

"Thuuz monitors the world of live sports to make sure you never miss an exciting moment. You can set the app just to monitor your teams or have it look through entire sports so you don't miss:

A no hitter in baseball
A great Wimbledon 5th set
An OT March Madness game
A 20-pt comeback in the NFL playoffs
A bench clearing brawl on the ice
Thuuz (pronounced "thooze") is a play on the word enthusiast, which is what we are here at Thuuz, dedicated sports enthusiasts. We've created an app tailored for our fellow sports enthusiasts that monitors the world of live sports to make sure you never miss an exciting moment."
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:CBS is good and has probably the best college basketball coverage now.

Thanks! I like it!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:Updated recruiting rankings for the A10:

ESPN, which some people still insist on using as the most credible, has A. Harris still committed to URI and Brendan Adams as undeclared.
win a conference tournament one year, be the favorite to win the conference the next year, graduate a ton of talent but have the #1 recruiting class in the conference the following year... that’s how you reestablish a program
5 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ace wrote:
ace wrote:Updated recruiting rankings for the A10:

win a conference tournament one year, be the favorite to win the conference the next year, graduate a ton of talent but have the #1 recruiting class in the conference the following year... that’s how you reestablish a program
You must be talking about VCU or Dayton, right?
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

The NLI early signing period is only a week away, beginning next Wednesday, November 8th, and ending on Wednesday, November 15th.

I'm happy its a week earlier this year and I'll be even happier when the 4 URI recruits are signed. Go Rhody!
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

20. Rhode Island

In arguably the worst post player recruiting class of the last decade, Danny Hurley was able to beat out some of the nation’s best to get a pledge from top 100 big man Jermaine Harris. At 6-foot-8, 240-pounds, Harris is a terrific rebounder with potential as a scorer close to the rim. Harris will be a monster in the Atlantic-10 and an impact performer from day one. To go with him, URI snagged pledges from versatile forward Tyrese Martin, a scorer in Brendan Adams and a wing player in Dana Tate. Rhode Island will sign the top class in the league in the initial signing period.

Commits: Jermaine Harris (No. 80), Tyrese Martin (No. 166), Brendan Adams (No. 186), Dana Tate (No. 202)
https://247sports.com/Article/2018-Bask ... -110140854
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Tate, Martin, and Adams are gonna want to make those ratings look foolish.....I hope we can look back at them in a couple of years and laugh...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great comments from Dave and Ty in this-

2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

1 more athletic big please.. This year is going to show the importance of depth everywhere..
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Harvard comes in at 2 and Zags not on list !!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bol Bol to the Ducks.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Manutes kid ??