General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Last week of August, the calm before the storm.
0 x
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Colleges back in session.....kids taking their official visits now.....one way or the other we will know within 4 weeks or so.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The players visiting in Sept. are on the staff's A list: Adams, Martin, Balanc, Harris.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hoping we get a Jeenathan Williams visit too.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote:The players visiting in Sept. are on the staff's A list: Adams, Martin, Balanc, Harris.
Hoping for Harris and any two of the remaining three. I'd like to leave a scholarship open for a transfer or JC.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

From a national recruiting perspective, top 3 wish list would have to go Harris #1, Williams #2, and Adams #3.

However, we all know the staff evualations have proven to project better then the national services so I would bet they have a different A list, B list, etc. I trust 100% in their evualatuon and decision making process in securing the best class possible. Nothing over the last 5 years has made us think otherwise. Everybody misses on a kid here or there, but URI has always hit on a class overall every year in Dan's tenure to date.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan's success rate has been better with guards than big men, that much is obvious.

Hopefully that will change in the very near future. When it comes to bigs I mean.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Dan's success rate has been better with guards than big men, that much is obvious.

Hopefully that will change in the very near future. When it comes to bigs I mean.
The guards success rate has been off the charts clearly.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Dan's success rate has been better with guards than big men, that much is obvious.

Rambone,
I could argue that Martin and Iverson were the Top 2 Big Men Combination in the A10 last season and were a big reason why we won the A10 and went to the 2nd round in the NCAA. Prior to last season, the higher expectations were more with the Guards in Mathews, Terrell and Garrett but Martin and Iverson really performed above what I expected over the course of the entire season, and only got stronger in late February and March.
Martin and Iverson blocked shots, altered shots, rebounded offensively and defensively, passed the ball well, led by example, played with heart and played good defense. Throw in that Langevine was very effective as the 1st player off the bench as just a Freshman and is by consensus believed to be a sure starter in just his Sophomore year and I struggle with your comment about Dan's success rate with Big men

I have to see more of Berry this year, and Tertsea, Preston, Langevine, Layssard and even Akele to make a better judgement on Hurley's success rate with this group. Just too early to really judge them (and DH with Big Men) I think.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I think Hassan was the only four year impact player who
was a front court recruit.
Iverson was a transfer, which puts him in a different category.
Langevin looks like he's the real deal, so that's TWO four year big guys in five
seasons.
Compare that to the harvest of quality guards brought in
over the same time span.
I'd say Rambone is 100% right on this.
I'm hoping this changes in the 2018 recruiting cycle.
They're off to a great start with Tate.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I would say akele is off to a solid start thru two years. I expect big things from him this year, hopefully he can assert himself and take advantage of the opportunity in front of him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't think you should discount Iverson. There are 800 transfers a year now in College Basketball which is more than 2 for every team.
Iverson picked URI. Would he have picked URI if CFL had been here? Absolutely not.

So I give the URI Coaching Staff credit for Iverson, and for Robinson - both Top 100 ESPN Recruits who easily could have chosen schools other than URI.

Also, with Iverson coming to URI that means URI recruits 1 less Big Man.

Has Hurley been more successful with Guards? Sure, but not like he has failed with Big Men either. I think the picture will be clearer in a few months. Iverson and Martin have owned the 2 Big Men positions for 2 and 4 years respectively.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Having Moore and Boswell as recruiters looks to be helping as well....it's already paid off with Tate, and more to come hopefully.

I think this is the strongest the staff has been overall since Dan has been here....and that's not taking shots at anyone who has been here before.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think it is tough to judge the big men recruiting- clearly they have been selective because most recruits have been guards.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plus we have not seen the big men recruits play much at all because Iverson, Martin and Langevine got the vast majority of the minutes on an A10 Championship and NCAA Tournament level team.
Tertsea was redshirted, Berry played sparingly and has once again lost weight in offseason and improved his game, Layssard did not get many minutes at all and Akele showed potential and Preston is new.
All big men played well in Bahamas fwiw.
Plus big men take longer to develop
For me the jury is still out, let's how this season goes.
Iverson is a great story to tell on the recruiting trail and to potential big man transfers as to why you should come to URI.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like the current staff on paper too. Have to see how it plays out.

Exciting year.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Having Moore and Boswell as recruiters looks to be helping as well....it's already paid off with Tate, and more to come hopefully.

I think this is the strongest the staff has been overall since Dan has been here....and that's not taking shots at anyone who has been here before.
Moore can tell recruits that he was the big man coach at UConn when they were turning out NBA players.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU Picks up a PG from Texas as their 1st recruit of 2018

https://www.vcuramnation.com/2017/09/ra ... r-pj-byrd/
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I wonder if Dan suscribes to this guy's service ....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... 70706.html
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big Day for Antonio Reynolds Dean today as Clemson Hosts #2 Ranked, Class of 2018, Zion Williamson 6'7" PF

#3 Clemson hosts #13 Auburn tonight at 7pm to add to the festivities

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Big Day for Antonio Reynolds Dean today as Clemson Hosts #2 Ranked, Class of 2018, Zion Williamson 6'7" PF

#3 Clemson hosts #13 Auburn tonight at 7pm to add to the festivities

Yeah, but we have TWO recruits on campus and we can bring them to see our powerhouse football team versus mighty Stony Brook.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would be a huge get for Clemson and for ARD to land Williamson. He is from nearby Spartanburg SC. ARD would be great for Williamson to work with and further enhance his skills.

September 08, 2017 7:08 PM
Zion Williamson, a 6-foot-6 forward from Spartanburg Day and one of the top prospects in the country, returns to Clemson on Saturday with his stepfather and mother
Although Brad Brownell will be there to talk basketball, and he will meet with the president of the university, Williamson really just wants to enjoy the football game against Auburn and the atmosphere of a Saturday night in Death Valley. Lee Anderson, Williamson’s stepfather, said the real basketball recruiting will start next week with the in-home visits.
Anderson said Duke was scheduled for an in home Monday but the threat of the weather has caused the Blue Devils to reschedule and the new date has not been set. Kansas will be in on Tuesday and USC Thursday. UCLA and Kentucky also are set for in home visits next week.

Anderson said he’s not sure when Clemson will be in for a visit. He said the Tigers wanted Williamson to make an official visit this weekend but the family has a commitment on Sunday and couldn’t tie up the entire weekend
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/ ... 39577.html
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I expect Zion to be a Gamecock
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Weren't we recruiting Offerum at one time?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think we offered Offurum........he did not honor our offer.......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Several URI Recruits on this 80 player list of participants...

http://www.dmvelite.com/news/2017-dmvel ... layer-list
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big weekend for Antonio Reynolds-Dean in his new Coaching role:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... at-clemson
1. DREAM WEEKEND AT CLEMSON
Exactly what the dividends will be of a monster recruiting weekend won't be known for a while, but Clemson boasted the most impressive roster of visitors of any program in the country.
In addition to committed three-star shooting guard John Newman, Brad Brownell and the Tigers hosted 2018's No. 2 player Zion Williamson, five-star point guard Devon Dotson(who had to postpone his Florida official visit due to Hurricane Irma), 2019 five-star combo guard Jalen Lecque and top 30 2019 guard Josiah James
A homegrown talent, Williamson -- whose stepfather Lee Anderson played at Clemson -- has Tigers fans dreaming of what could be. Common thought has him leaving his home state for a program like Kansas or Kentucky, but make no mistake Clemson is pulling out all of the stops. A teammate of Williamson's in Las Vegas during the summer, Dotson is thought to be leaning towards Kansas or Florida but recent speculation has said that distance could end up being big factor for the Charlotte product. As for the 2019 prospects, Lecque is a high scoring and athletic guard while James is another in state talent and a 6-foot-6 point guard who the Tigers have gained early traction with.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

If you're a top 15 guy you don't roll the dice and not go to a basketball factory. That would be bad advice and poor parenting.

Trust is key. You can trust that Coach K and others will do their part to put you in the NBA. Clemson?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

List is narrowing; priorities are being set.

GUARDS:
Brendan Adams, MD
Tyrese Martin Pa.
Matt Balanc, MD
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Amir Harris MD
Anthony Nelson, KY

FORWARDS:
Jermaine Harris, MD
Dana Tate, Calif. (URI)
Chris Doherty Mass.
Joel Ntambwe Congo
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Some great names on that list and I think URI will land a few on there
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Happy we have Tate in tow. He will continue our reputation as a hulking maniac team.

My friends that aren't URI supporters like to say that wow URI has all these big muscle bound athletes.

I think we have heard that in reports from KeaneyBluers reporting back from perusing other teams' message boards.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote:List is narrowing; priorities are being set.

GUARDS:
Brendan Adams, MD
Tyrese Martin Pa. (URI)
Matt Balanc, MD
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Amir Harris MD
Anthony Nelson, KY

FORWARDS:
Jermaine Harris, MD
Dana Tate, Calif. (URI)
Chris Doherty Mass.
Joel Ntambwe Congo
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Happy we have Tate in tow. He will continue our reputation as a hulking maniac team.

My friends that aren't URI supporters like to say that wow URI has all these big muscle bound athletes.

I think we have heard that in reports from KeaneyBluers reporting back from perusing other teams' message boards.
haha, yup. we are getting the rep of being a football team that dabbles in basketball in their free time. Also getting the rep for in your face physical play.

i think it was the Creighton twitter that had the joke in the NCAAs about Hass "Starting at linebacker today, Hassan Martin". I seem to remember another team calling Terrell a linebacker too
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The athleticism and muscle tone of URI has been mentioned during nationally televised games multiple times.
0 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

On other threads people are debating the class so far. I went back on 247 sports to review prior classes and if this one adds Harris or even if it doesn't but it adds Adams and a couple other top targets, statistically speaking it would be Hurleys best class yet according to outside rating agencies.
I think we forget where our prior class guys were ranked and what Hurley has been able to accomplish with them.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not sure where you are going with this, but our starting five last year was 4* EC, 4* JT, 4* KI, 3* HM and 3* JD. With 4* SR off the bench.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote:Not sure where you are going with this, but our starting five last year was 4* EC, 4* JT, 4* KI, 3* HM and 3* JD. With 4* SR off the bench.
We are talking about grading classes, not our 5 best players at one time. EC and JT were obviously top 70-100 type talents, Harris is in that same mold. KI and SR were transfers and didn't even look at us out of HS. Martin was top 100-150 type player which Adams, Williams, a couple other targets fit that mold. Dowtin was ranked over 200 by most services and Cyril over 300 and look how those two turned out their very first year of college.

My point is Tate and Martin are concensus top 150-200 type players and we are targeting other concensus top 100-150-200 type players. Point is our recruiting has picked up significantly from where we were at just a couple of years ago.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Just to add to that last post, an insider told me Dan and his staff essentially only recruit players they believe are top 150 in the nation. That's where they draw the line as after they rank the top 150, they recruit for need, fit, realistic chances of landing etc.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just saying we we will have no 4* players on the roster next year unless this class produces some. Not saying the guys aren't good, but 3* recruits are not watched by NBA scouts normally.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Harris would be obviously if we were able to land him which would be huge. Realistically, both these guys would of been the top rated players in last years class and the class before that. They have similar rankings to Fatts actually.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:
theblueram wrote:Not sure where you are going with this, but our starting five last year was 4* EC, 4* JT, 4* KI, 3* HM and 3* JD. With 4* SR off the bench.
We are talking about grading classes, not our 5 best players at one time. EC and JT were obviously top 70-100 type talents, Harris is in that same mold. KI and SR were transfers and didn't even look at us out of HS. Martin was top 100-150 type player which Adams, Williams, a couple other targets fit that mold. Dowtin was ranked over 200 by most services and Cyril over 300 and look how those two turned out their very first year of college.

My point is Tate and Martin are concensus top 150-200 type players and we are targeting other concensus top 100-150-200 type players. Point is our recruiting has picked up significantly from where we were at just a couple of years ago.
You are also talking about a class that has 5 slots open. Last year there were only 2 slots open. Russell was an outstanding pick up, truly outstanding performance his Senior year. You also have in this year a lot of Playing Time to offer incoming recruits. So it may be Hurley's best Class but the 5 Slots and the Playing Time available play into the Class being good to - and it should be good after last year's NCAA Performance
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ARD and Clemson pretty busy

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are involved with Nelson too ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Just a note on this tweet, one of the people who "liked" it was Adams.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Adams and Harris commit....and it's a HOME RUN........and it's looking good to happen.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Adams and Harris commit....and it's a HOME RUN........and it's looking good to happen.
agree Bone. Hoping it does happen.
0 x