Gm. 2 - Stony Brook, 9/9 1pm, CBS Digital

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gm. 2 - Stony Brook, 9/9 1pm, CBS Digital

Unread post by TruePoint »

Last Year: 5-6, 4-4 in CAA
Last Week: Loss @ #21 USF, 31-17
Point Spread: URI +7

Similar to URI, Stony Brook went on the road last week and threatened to spring an upset on a good FBS team. In Stony Brook's case, they held a 10-7 halftime lead and held that lead until late in the 3rd quarter, when USF went 80 yards in just over 5 minutes to go ahead for the first time. Stony Brook would come back to tie the game in the fourth before USF finally pulled away.

Stony Brook's effort against USF was valiant, but ultimately boiled down to two big plays - a blocked punt that was recovered in the USF endzone for a TD to open the scoring, and a 54 yard run to tie the game in the 4th by senior RB Stacey Bedell, who was the team's top rusher last season with 767 yards (4.6 ypc) and 10 TDs.

Stony Brook also returns its starting QB from 2016, junior Joe Carbone. Carbone bordered on adequate against USF, hitting on 50% of his 34 throws for 134 yards and 2 INTs. It's hard to tell if those modest numbers are a reflection of the defensive talent he faced or is just what he is - last season in 10 games he completed 52% of his passes, including 12 INTs and just 3 TDs, gaining 1,017 yards in the air (101.7 ypg). To put that into perspective, despite the ugly 6 INTs from Tyler Harris against CMU, he threw for as many TDs and a more than a quarter as many yards as Carbone did all of last season.

In the receiving corp, Cal Daniels, Harrison Jackson and Nick Anderson all caught more than 2 balls; Daniels led the team with 4 catches for 35 yards.

Bedell actually split carries with Donald Liotine, a junior who was secondary member of what appears to have been a pretty crowded committee last year. At first blush, it looks like Bedell had a much better game, with 10 carries for 71 yards compared to Liotine's 9 carries for 19 yards, but if you take out the long run, they were remarkably similar: Bedell's 9 other carries went for 17 yards. Liotine and Bedell also returns kicks.

All in all, this does not appear to be an explosive offense. They averaged just under 17 ppg last year, and scored 10 points on offense last week with the one TD accounting for a quarter of their yards.

Stony Brook's strength appears to be its defense, and should pose a good test for URI. Last week they held a good USF team to 7 points through 42 minutes. Last year they gave up just 20 points per game, which included games in which they gave up 38 (Temple), 38 (Sacred Heart (??)) and 43 (UNH), and they return their three best defensive players: Lawless, Beverette and Haggert.

Against USF, they were led on defense by junior linebacker Shane Lawless. Lawless had 13 tackles, a sack and 1.5 tackles for loss. That's a good day. Last year, Lawless was second on the team in tackles behind Tyrice Beverette. Beverette is listed as a DB, but appears to play all over the field for the Seawolves - in addition to leading the team in tackles, he also led them sacks (4.5), interceptions (4) and forced fumbles (4). He had a relatively quiet day against USF, finishing with 5 tackles. John Haggert is a junior defensive linemen who led the Seawolves in tackles for loss (13.5), was second in sacks (4) and matched Beverette with 4 forced fumbles.

Stony Brook managed to turn USF over once last week (in addition to the blocked punt), an interception by Travon Reid-Segure, a senior DB. They didn't do a ton in the return game, averaging about 5 yards per on 5 punt returns and a tick under 20 yards per on 4 kick returns. Their kicking game appears pretty solid - the kicker made all of his tries (2 XPs and a 36 yard FG), and the punter averaged about 42 yards on 9 punts, including a 55 yarder, although he didn't down any inside the 20.

Based on what I saw from the URI defense last week, making big, timely plays and holding a former national QB recruit to 226 yards and 1 TD on 49 pass attempts, I'm really hopeful that we can keep Stony Brook's rather modest offense from putting up a giant number on the board tomorrow. The question is going to be whether we can put up enough points against a seemingly good defense to win the game. That task will certainly be made easier if we can manage to take care of the football, which we did not do against CMU and is largely why we aren't coming into this game buzzing at 1-0. I don't think I ever expect URI to win a football game, and Vegas likes Stony Brook here. But this is one of the games we will need to get if we want to take a step as a program and get into the 4-5 win territory. It is doable, but as I suspect may be a recurring theme here, I wouldn't bet my house on it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Gm. 2 - Stony Brook, 9/9 1pm, CBS Digital

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Win this game!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Todays Games involving CAA Teams:

Towson--Maryland 12:00 p.m. College Park, Md.---TV:BTN
Richmond--Colgate 1:00 PM Hamilton, N.Y.
Elon--Furman 1:00 p.m. Greenville, S.C. ---TV:ESPN3/WatchESPN
Albany--Morgan State 1:00 p.m. Baltimore, Md.
Stony Brook--Rhode Island Conference Game 1:00 p.m. Kingston, R.I.---TV:College Sports Live
Bryant--Maine 3:30 p.m. Orono, Maine---TV:Fox College Sports
Delaware--Virginia Tech 3:30 p.m. Blacksburg, Va.---TV:ACC Network Extra/ESPN3
Villanova--Temple 3:30 p.m. Philadelphia, Pa.---TV:ESPN3/WatchESPN
New Hampshire--Georgia Southern 4:00 p.m. Birmingham, Ala.---TV:ESPN3/WatchESPN
William & Mary--Norfolk State 6:00 p.m. Norfolk, Va.
ETSU--James Madison 6:00 p.m. Harrisonburg, Va.---TV:CSN Mid-Atlantic Plus

Maryland favored by 30 over Towson
Georgia Southern favored by 7 over New Hampshire. Game was moved from Statesboro GA to Birmingham Alabama due to threat of Irma
#18 Ranked Virginia Tech favored by 41 over Delaware at Blacksburg VA
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hope springs eternal ... on my way to Kingston.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This is one of the five most important games on the schedule this year if we're going to be an improved team. We were up on them 3-0 last year in the fourth quarter at their homecoming before losing 14-3. Was last week the harbinger of a rising program or just an FCS program playing their Super Bowl against a flat MAC team that isn't that great to begin with? We all liked the competitiveness last week, but this week will tell us a lot more about what we really have here.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Where we are is picked to finish last in the Preseason Coaches Poll.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jesus. Take care of the football.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Against this defense giving up the free 7 points to start the game is going to be tough to overcome, then you give up the long drive to go down two scores. Making it very hard on themselves.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:Jesus. Take care of the football.
Yeah...not sure that's in the game plan....
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Apparently not.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Over/under 4.5. Number of pass plays Rhody runs without an INT.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He's going to get bailed out with the flag here but these are insane throws for a quarterback to make.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If it's 3rd & 15 and you're on the edge of FG range, don't throw the ball down the field on a low percentage pass. Get something underneath and see if you can pick it up but at least you an get yourself into a makeable fourth down or an easier FG. Harris can throw the ball but I'm really unimpressed with his decision making so far, and I'm not sure how much the play calling is helping him.

Need to get a score here before half to feel decent about our chances.
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I am literally going to run on the field and tackle the coach if I see the one more fake pass run.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The defense is doing its part but the offense needs to get some things figured out. They've moved the ball OK, but ball security issues and inability to finish drives are frustrating.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Same ol', same ol
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Play calling has not been good.
The center has been rolling the ball to the QB all afternoon.
The run game has been ineffective.
They need to get something started on offense.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rough...
I think they gave up after finding a way to blow their chances last week.
Poor Rhody football.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Defense causes a turnover at midfield, offense fails to do anything. They go backwards again. Incredible.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Huge play! About time! 21-7
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

gulp....now he's going to hafta throw it....
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Just when I thought we had a chance SB marches down the field. Ugh
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

0-2. Oh, well. Guess this says much about Central Michigan.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I just hate all the turnovers.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I have faith with the new QB. Offense was night and day.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
george14
Jim Eitner

Unread post by george14 »

theblueram wrote:0-2. Oh, well. Guess this says much about Central Michigan.
For whatever its worth we just murked Kansas.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue Man wrote:I have faith with the new QB. Offense was night and day.
Harris does have a great arm. Unfortunately not all the receivers can handle his throws. He also passes into coverage.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I have faith with the new QB. Offense was night and day.
Harris does have a great arm. Unfortunately not all the receivers can handle his throws. He also passes into coverage...
...just to stay in shape.

I do like that he throws a lot...nice arm...fun to watch, but good grief, the picks.... :shock:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice drive engineered by Lawson in the 4th Quarter. That was the best we looked on offense all game long.

I'd be surprised if Lawson is not the starting QB against Harvard.

Lawson passed well, scrambled well and ran the ball well. Showed good poise and the team seemed to respond well to his leadership.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That was the worst snapping of the ball that I have ever seen in any Pro, College, High School or Rec League game. Even the TD pass was on a ball that hit the ground on the way to the QB.
1 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

The record is now 4 wins 32 losses. Expecting things to change is insanity. If anyone saw a well coached team today please explain what I am missing. This was a game that they could have won from a talent perspective. Let's accept the reality - let Fleming go right now, and give one of the assistants - perhaps Keegan Kennedy, the opportunity to turn this season around. There is no way the conversation amongst the players tonight is that Fleming knows what he is doing. They need to know that they are not the problem. They need to believe in themselves.
2 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Insanity "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"

I am sorry but we have wasted millions we don't have on buying out football coaches contracts.

It is time to let this pig die and reinvest elsewhere.
0 x
Clapton is God
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thor has said URI will not drop football. Not happening under his watch.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

ramster wrote:That was the worst snapping of the ball that I have ever seen in any Pro, College, High School or Rec League game. Even the TD pass was on a ball that hit the ground on the way to the QB.
Do we not have another center on the roster?! It was incredible how bad his snaps were.

Overall, not great. I think we'll see more Lawson next week. Maybe a mix of both guys who knows.
The two picks by Harris were not good. He needs to learn to throw it away, not into coverage. He does show some great arm strength though. We haven't seen our offense this vertical in a few years (maybe Bentsen?).
However, and I have seen people complain here before...the offense is way too predictable. It leads us to constant 3rd and longs and we cannot convert. Maybe a pass on 2nd and long instead of a draw up the middle every time??
Harvard will be another tough opponent. We'll just have to see how it goes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

unimaginative and predicatable play calling. too many turnovers. horrendous snaps to the QB.
all of that is coaching and preparation. the talent level is there to compete.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thoughts from yesterday
1. Great day to watch a game. Seawolves/chiefs uniforms were a nice contrast to the blues and a well manicured field.
2. How many of you looked up to the sky and said you've got to be kidding when Cooper fumbled.
3. O-line protected well but I can't see them pulling on a sweep.
4. Punter got off some beauties.
5. When we trailed 21-7 and had a first and goal, did the coaching consider putting in the other qb. He is our biggest
back and gives us another option. On the last drive of the game, he actually knocked over a d back. If Cooper and Anderson are only going to get 2 yards there is not going to be a lot of balance. Play Lawson!
6. Should we have settled for a field goal? No, we are four and thirty one. Go for it? Is getting three points "finishing"?
7. The defense looked better than the amount of points they gave up.
8. We need some creativity on offense. Switch quarterbacks!
9. Go rhody!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Our offensive line sure is big. I can't believe they can't open bigger holes for Cooper and Anderson. I was sitting next to a couple of SB fans who marveled at their size.

Question: is Cooper still hurt? I noticed he wasn't in for several series.

Also, what were those numbers on the yellow placards? Defensive signals? I've never seen anything like them.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Real good crowd yesterday. Haven't looked at the box score, but have to imagine it was over 5,000.
Felt like we had trouble running the ball. Our best success was on the edge. While we have a pretty decent sized offensive line, seems as if we could have done a better job of run blocking.
Some good points on the post game show on WHJJ regarding the QB play. Terry Lynch did point out that a lot of Lawson's success came against 2nd string guys playing in a soft prevent defense. With that said, Lawson did what was asked of him, which is to come in and perform.
With regard to a QB controversy, we don't know what happens on a daily basis in practice. Since they came in pretty evenly matched, you would have to imagine that Harris is out playing Lawson in practice to the point he has gotten basically all the PT. Word is Harris is a real good leader and really took command of the offense during camp. I'll be curious to see how this thing progresses as we head into a real tough game vs Harvard.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote:Thoughts from yesterday
1. Great day to watch a game. Seawolves/chiefs uniforms were a nice contrast to the blues and a well manicured field.
2. How many of you looked up to the sky and said you've got to be kidding when Cooper fumbled.
5. When we trailed 21-7 and had a first and goal, did the coaching consider putting in the other qb. He is our biggest
back and gives us another option. On the last drive of the game, he actually knocked over a d back. If Cooper and Anderson are only going to get 2 yards there is not going to be a lot of balance. Play Lawson!
6. Should we have settled for a field goal? No, we are four and thirty one. Go for it? Is getting three points "finishing"?
9. Go rhody!
Neil,
Yes for sure I looked up at the sky on that first fumble.

What about the snaps from center? That has to throw the QB off. Even the long LD pass was on a snap that bounced on the ground and QB made a good catch.

But to me Lawson won the start versus Harvard on that TD drive in the 4th Quarter, best drive of the year.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote:
9. Go rhody!
Neil,

What about the snaps from center? That has to throw the QB off. Even the long LD pass was on a snap that bounced on the ground and QB made a good catch.

But to me Lawson won the start versus Harvard on that TD drive in the 4th Quarter, best drive of the year.

I don't know if I agree with that last statement, unless he has beaten him out in practice too. I don't think 1 drive vs back ups does enough to wipe out pre-season camp and all of practice.
When you make a switch at QB, at least at the college level, you need to be sure that the starter isn't the answer. I don't know if we are there yet. Benching him wipes out his confidence, and tells him and more importantly the team, that you don't have confidence in the starter. Last year Fleming did show that if a change needs to be made at QB, he isn't afraid to make it, and make it early.
With that said, if Lawson has been out performing him in practice, and the coaches feel the switch needs to be made, then I'm in agreement. If they also feel they want to give Lawson a series or two vs the starters, I'm all for it to. I just don't think we need to panic and make a switch based on 1 possession vs back ups.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree, and a lot of it is that the offense is both turnover prone and anemic, which means we don't sustain a lot drives and the defense is just on the field way too much. It's hard to hold up over and over and over again when you're not getting rest and you're defending short fields and you're discouraged because the other side of the ball isn't doing their part.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote:
ramster wrote:
9. Go rhody!
Neil,

I don't know if I agree with that last statement, unless he has beaten him out in practice too. I don't think 1 drive vs back ups does enough to wipe out pre-season camp and all of practice.
When you make a switch at QB, at least at the college level, you need to be sure that the starter isn't the answer. I don't know if we are there yet. Benching him wipes out his confidence, and tells him and more importantly the team, that you don't have confidence in the starter. Last year Fleming did show that if a change needs to be made at QB, he isn't afraid to make it, and make it early.
With that said, if Lawson has been out performing him in practice, and the coaches feel the switch needs to be made, then I'm in agreement. If they also feel they want to give Lawson a series or two vs the starters, I'm all for it to. I just don't think we need to panic and make a switch based on 1 possession vs back ups.
7 interceptions in 2 games by Harris and could have been more as the defense missed on some potential interceptions. I saw confidence in the players when Lawson was in. I would not wait to change.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Attendance was 5102
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Attendance was 5102
Just a bit under the average (5,173) for the 2016-17 A-10 Tournament/NCAA basketball men Rams.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

I still think we should drop down to the NEC level. We would win some games and maybe improve attendance. 5100 is good for what we offer on the field. Bryant had over 1500 more for their first home game. I'm sure we could recruit better at that level than Bryant and winning would make our tail gates a little easier.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

There's tail gates??
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:There's tail gates??
Yes, I saw a few people near the entrance from the Keaney lot.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodywins wrote:I still think we should drop down to the NEC level. We would win some games and maybe improve attendance. 5100 is good for what we offer on the field. Bryant had over 1500 more for their first home game. I'm sure we could recruit better at that level than Bryant and winning would make our tail gates a little easier.
Been there, done that. Thor already made that call when he joined the NEC and then reversed it. I really doubt Thor would go back to a decision he already reversed himself once on.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

We don't belong in the NEC. We belong with the other state universities that we are comparable to in size and academics. UNH, Maine, Stony Brook, Albany, and Delaware. James Madison and William and Mary are also state schools. The NEC is small private schools with enrollments of 3-5k, with the exception of Central Conn. We are in the right place. If we win expect the crowds to be ~ 8k.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NEC
St Francis (PA)
Sacred Heart
Bryant
Duquesne
Robert Morris
Central Connecticut
Wagner

CAA
New Hampshire
Stony Brook
James Madison
UAlbany
Delaware
Elon
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary
Maine
Rhode Island

Only 7 Teams in the NEC. Duquesne from the A10
12 Teams in the CAA on a considerably higher level of play. Richmond from the A10. New Hampshire and Maine New England State Universities. Travel is not cost prohibitive. League has a nice geography to it.

UCONN is in the AAC in all Sports. UMASS playing Division 1. Boston College in ACC.

URI should be able to recruit and perform with the likes of Maine and New Hampshire - no reason why they shouldn't
0 x