2017-18 schedule discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Lots of great TV time! When do single game tickets go on sale?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Pretty surprised so many of the games aren't on TV. Last year almost every game, except maybe one or two weren't on. I'm assuming some will get picked up, but as of now not having Nevada and Alabama on TV is puzzling.
1 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

URI 2017-18 A-10 Schedule

Unread post by RF1 »

2017-18 URI A-10 Schedule.png

Conference TV Games
CBSSN 7
ESPN2 4
ESPNU 1
NBCSN 1
No known TV as of now 5

For a point of reference-VCU (seven straight NCAA appearances) has 7 conference games with no tv
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhody15 wrote:Pretty surprised so many of the games aren't on TV. Last year almost every game, except maybe one or two weren't on. I'm assuming some will get picked up, but as of now not having Nevada and Alabama on TV is puzzling.
I mean not every game will be national TV for us. I'm sure there will be some way to stream the rest, especially those two games.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI 2017-18 Schedule.png
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The only two questions open before today regarding the OOC schedule are still unanswered. There is as of today no named fourth NIT Tip-Off opponent and no final regular season game scheduled.

I suspect URI may have balked at playing a non D1 school as part of the NIT Tip-Off as Seton Hall appears to have done. The Pirates have a game vs FDU listed as one of their tournament games. FDU is however playing no other NIT Tip-Off opponents. The NIT may still be trying to line up one last game opponent. It also looks like URI has to date been unsuccessful finalizing another OOC game as would be allowed. This would corroborate Ct Rhody's previous post that the schedule released today is possibly not 100% complete.

The NIT Tip-Off has one of the craziest set ups I have ever seen. There appear to be nine participants with just five playing the typical full four game format. Two participants play just three games while the remaining two play just a single game.

Barclays participant NIT Tip-Off Tournament Games:
Virgina (4 games): Monmouth, Austin Peay, vs Vanderbilt, vs SHU/URI
Vanderbilt (4 games): UNC Asheville, vs Virgina, vs SHU/URI
Seton Hall (4 games): Monmouth, FDU, vs URI, vs Virgina/Vanderbilt
UNC-Asheville (4 games): @URI, @Vanderbilt, @Austin Peay, Monmouth
Austin Peay (4 games): @Vanderbilt, @ Virginia, UNC-Asheville, Oakland City
URI (3 games): UNC-Asheville, vs SHU, vs Virginia/Vanderbilt
Monmouth (3 games): @SHU, @Virgina, @UNC-Asheville
Oakland City (1 game): @UNC-Asheville
FDU (1 game): @ SHU
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodysurf wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:Pretty surprised so many of the games aren't on TV. Last year almost every game, except maybe one or two weren't on. I'm assuming some will get picked up, but as of now not having Nevada and Alabama on TV is puzzling.
I mean not every game will be national TV for us. I'm sure there will be some way to stream the rest, especially those two games.

Eleven games have no present TV listed (could be two additional OOC games). Only four of the first thirteen games will be televised. Hopefully URI has a local outlet (such as MyTVRI or MeTV) lined up to cover the national network gap games such as it did with COX for many years.

6 OOC Games
UNC-Asheville
@Nevada
Holy Cross
Brown
@Alabama
Charleston

5 Conference Games
GMU
LaSalle @GW
UMass
@Fordham
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We make our first NCAA tournament appearance since 1999, and can't even get the first game/home opener, second game, or even third game the following year on TV (as of now).

Pretty sad.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In the conference release article there is mention of two of the concerns mentioned here.

"Rhode Island has the ability to add an additional non-conference game. A decision on that final contest will be made shortly."

and

"Further local and national clearances will be announced at a later date."

So another game will be added soon and more TV games will be added once clearance is provided by the applicable conference

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0906kyjxe4
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah we need to get more games in TV especially conf games where last year I think all but 1 were televised
Hopefully we be able to stream online if need be
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Yeah we need to get more games in TV especially conf games where last year I think all but 1 were televised
Hopefully we be able to stream online if need be

ASN picked up many conference games last season. Those games are now lost per that network's status. I looked at several other league members (VCU,Dayton, SBU) and URI actually has more conference games televised than they do. My guess is that last years success and being a preseason favorite helped Rhody get more tv games than others.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want to see them all this team has SPECIAL written all over it
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote:The only two questions open before today regarding the OOC schedule are still unanswered. There is as of today no named fourth NIT Tip-Off opponent and no final regular season game scheduled.

I suspect URI may have balked at playing a non D1 school as part of the NIT Tip-Off as Seton Hall appears to have done. The Pirates have a game vs FDU listed as one of their tournament games. FDU is however playing no other NIT Tip-Off opponents. The NIT may still be trying to line up one last game opponent. It also looks like URI has to date been unsuccessful finalizing another OOC game as would be allowed. This would corroborate Ct Rhody's previous post that the schedule released today is possibly not 100% complete.
Looks like URI got screwed over by the NIT Tip-Off tournament per today's Bill Koch Projo piece:
  • URI is still in the market for another nonconference game, which would complete its schedule at 30. The NCAA allows for a maximum of 31 games before the postseason, but the Rams have declined to play Division II Oakland City (Indiana) as part of their two-game home allotment for participating in the NIT.
The other three Barclays bound teams (UVa, Vanderbilt, and Seton Hall) all appear to have four tournament games. It would seem Seton Hall would have also had Oakland City as an opponent but somehow got the NIT to substitute FDU for this game (Knights play no other NIT Tip-Off opponents).

I personally did not want URI to play a non D1 opponent and have no issue in them refusing the Oakland City game. I however am disappointed that the NIT did not extend the same accommodation to URI that it apparently provided Seton Hall. It seems hypocritical that they apply different standards.

At any rate, it is not good that URI as of right now will play two less allowed games. It looks like even with the success of last season, scheduling at URI is still very difficult. With several P5 leagues (ACC and Big Ten) future plans of going to 20 game conference schedules, things will likely get even tougher.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One scheduling note: rumor was we were opening the season on Saturday, turns out we play unc Asheville on Friday, the first possible day the season can start. Big time in favor of that.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St Bonaventure is already hyping our Friday night ESPN2 game in Olean:

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote:St Bonaventure is already hyping our Friday night ESPN2 game in Olean:

It is a key conference game. They could very well be 1 and 2 in the conference at the time.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A VCU fan broke down the national TV appearances by member for all games involving A-10 teams per today's schedule release. URI actually fares very well comparatively. VCU fans are surmising that the loss of ASN as a partner has hurt the league in terms of the number of televised games. They believe the loss of ASN really adversely disproportionately affected tv for the teams that are projected to be, or have recently been, near the bottom of the league standings.

Rhode Island - 13 (5 on ESPN networks)
St. Bonaventure - 11 (4 on ESPN networks)
VCU - 11 (2 on ESPN networks)
Dayton - 10 (2 on ESPN networks)
Davidson - 10 (2 on ESPN networks)
Richmond - 7 (0 on ESPN networks)
St. Joseph's - 6 (1 on ESPN networks)
Duquesne - 5 (0 on ESPN networks)
George Mason - 5 (0 on ESPN networks)
La Salle - 5 (0 on ESPN networks)
UMass - 5 (0 on ESPN networks)
Fordham - 4 (0 on ESPN networks)
GW - 4 (0 on ESPN networks)
SLU - 4 (0 on ESPN networks)
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Conferences that ESPN owns rights for have not released all their clearances. The Nevada and Alabama games are likely to have some flavor of ESPN covering them.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2017-18 schedule discussion

Unread post by ace »

Very strong schedule. The teams from the relatively weaker conferences, with the exception of Brown and Holy Cross, are preseason favorites. Immediate conference schedule thoughts- 4 of the first 6 conference games (including St. Bonaventure) are at home but students aren't back yet, next 4 of 5 on the road from 1/20 to 2/2. No Saturday games in February is going to seem strange but worth it to get those ESPN Friday games.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not really happy about playing 30 instead of 31. I would rather play a 250 rpi cupcake at home just to play the allotted number of games thoughts ???
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

ace wrote:Very strong schedule. The teams from the relatively weaker conferences, with the exception of Brown and Holy Cross, are preseason favorites. Immediate conference schedule thoughts- 4 of the first 6 conference games (including St. Bonaventure) are at home but students aren't back yet, next 4 of 5 on the road from 1/20 to 2/2. No Saturday games in February is going to seem strange but worth it to get those ESPN Friday games.
So four conference games without students, that will certainly hurt the gameday environment. Hate how the A-10 isn't smart enough to work around that better. It's 4 of 6, worst case it should of been 3 of 6 to make it fair.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:Not really happy about playing 30 instead of 31. I would rather play a 250 rpi cupcake at home just to play the allotted number of games thoughts ???
I'd rather not. The extra win isn't worth the RPI hit.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, the students will not be on campus for 6 of the 16 home games. That seems like an awful lot. It's usually 3 or 4. That won't be good for attendance numbers this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:So, the students will not be on campus for 6 of the 16 home games. That seems like an awful lot. It's usually 3 or 4. That won't be good for attendance numbers this year.
I included Iona on Dec 21st. That's the last day of finals, so I assume most of the students will be gone by then.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Further to Billyboy's comment - four of the 9 home conference games - George Mason, LaSalle, St. Bonaventure, and UMass - will be played with no students. Last year we played three conference games in this period. Like last year, the UMass game scheduling is disappointing.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting playoff in comparing playing a D2 team versus a DI team with a 250+ RPI. The D1 team hurts the SOS, but since the D2 game is not included in NCAA record and RPI calculation, it has less effect.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Not really happy about playing 30 instead of 31. I would rather play a 250 rpi cupcake at home just to play the allotted number of games thoughts ???

I am in your camp. I have no complaints with what is ON the schedule. Most of the opponents are decent teams with several higher profile names. it is a good mix of opponents for a team such as URI positioning itself for NCAA at large consideration.

My problem with our schedule is what is NOT on it - namely TWO more allowed games.

I understand URI did not have complete control for one of these as it was in the hands of the tournament organizers. I am however disappointed that URI did get the same treatment that the other Barclays pod teams got (4 games vs D1 teams). URI alwys seems to get screwed in these tournaments. It happened to a lesser extent last year as well when we got a tournament game versus a team (Brown) we were already scheduled to face at home and one which we have played nearly every season for 100+ years. I have no issue with URI declining a tournament game vs a tiny Christian D2 school from no where Indiana. Tournament organizers however should not have put Rhody in that position.

As for the other game that could still be scheduled, this is on URI and it unfortuantely follows recent form. I understand scheduling at URI is not easy. It is however still a depressing thought that URI has such trouble filling out its schedule. While a game might still be added, I fear time is running out. Mike's comments also did not give me a good feeling as he did not give a strong indication it was highly likely to happen.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Too much pressure playing a DII team, if they suck and we blow them out then its pointless and doesn't count anyways. If they're sneaky good and we win a close game or god for bid lose, then our reputation takes a huge hit and were on espn for all he wrong reasons.
0 x
GO RAMS
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

You can add two more out of conference games in December when the students are away. University should have some ideas to fill the place in late December and early January.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:Interesting playoff in comparing playing a D2 team versus a DI team with a 250+ RPI. The D1 team hurts the SOS, but since the D2 game is not included in NCAA record and RPI calculation, it has less effect.

A team that just won the A-10 Tournament and advanced to the NCAA 2nd round before losing in the final minute to a Final-4 team SHOULD NOT under any circumstance be playing non D1 schools.

I looked up Oakland City University. It is a General Baptist Church-affiliated college with just a few hundred students attending classes on its main campus. Most students of the Christian faith-based university are part time continuing ed adults that take classes at auxilliary off campus sites. It is located in a very small community situated in a rural part of SW Indiana near the borders with southern Illinois and western Kentucky. After researching the school on the web, all I could think of for local comparitive sake was the old now defunct Barrington College.

Main St - Downtown Oakland City
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I came across this on another site and cannot be certain of its accuracy given its source. At any rate, it gives a general sense of the A-10 member school schedules. URI does well in comparison for tv games but it has the least number of total scheduled games and is toward the low end for number of home games.
A-10 Schedule 2017-18.jpg

In an interesting note - Richmond will host Georgetown in the first game of an even H&H series.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think the last game we're trying to get, although it will be an away game, it will be a game within driving distance. That's just a guess. And that's all I'm saying. We'll know soon if it's happening.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Will it be an away game or neutral? I noticed Mike said "non home" when away would have been a less clunky way of putting it.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

URI has no weekend games after January. That seems unheard of. I wonder if URI is the only school in division 1 without a weekend game after January.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yep, all bumped up to Friday night ESPN instead...spoils of being winners...
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Friday nights in Feb with URI hoops nice
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Wow Friday nights in Feb with URI hoops nice

Yes. EVERY Friday at 7pm in February.

Feb. 2 Fri. at VCU Siegel Center ESPN2 B101 7 p.m.
Feb. 9 Fri. Davidson* Thomas M. Ryan Center ESPN2 B101 7 p.m.
Feb. 16 Fri. at St. Bonaventure * Reilly Center ESPN2 B101 7 p.m.
Feb. 23 Fri. Dayton* Thomas M. Ryan Center ESPN2 B101 7 p.m.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyMBB
TV UPDATE: the Nov. 13 game at Nevada will air live nationally on ESPNU at 11:30 pm ET/8:30 pm PT #GoRhody
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Does it even count as nationally televised when half the country will be asleep?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Does it even count as nationally televised when half the country will be asleep?
East coast bias!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Add another ESPN game to the ledger.
This staff has crushed it at getting us more TV time over last 2-3 years. The Hurley name and on court success driving all of that. Go Rhody.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That fits in well with my night owl schedule.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This should be part of the ESPN 24 Kick Off Marathon which last year started on Monday night and continued into Tuesday.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote:This should be part of the ESPN 24 Kick Off Marathon which last year started on Monday night and continued into Tuesday.
IT BETTER BE
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Does it even count as nationally televised when half the country will be asleep?
East coast bias!
Nah....good reason to stay up late and increase midweek consumption
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
East coast bias!
Nah....good reason to stay up late and increase midweek consumption
Now we're getting somewhere, I like your line of thinking here.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder what is holding up the mini-plans. Could it be the schedule? I'm hoping they have a weekend plan like they have in the past. That's the only way I get to the PC game this year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Awesome news on that Nevada game cant wait!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Reef prime Time!
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund