Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

I agree that the biggest issue needs to be expansion of the drinking area. Allowing beer to be brought back to seats would be AWESOME, however I don't know how plausible that is considering the hurtles that would need to be jumped before it was ever allowed.

The problem is that one in one out concept when No One is leaving. Places such as the alumni room or more sections of the hallway need to be allowed to have people drinking beer! I don't mean to over exaggerate, but alcohol has got to be top 1 or 2 ways you draw a casual fan to an event!!
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

HASwatTeam wrote:I agree that the biggest issue needs to be expansion of the drinking area. Allowing beer to be brought back to seats would be AWESOME, however I don't know how plausible that is considering the hurtles that would need to be jumped before it was ever allowed.

The problem is that one in one out concept when No One is leaving. Places such as the alumni room or more sections of the hallway need to be allowed to have people drinking beer! I don't mean to over exaggerate, but alcohol has got to be top 1 or 2 ways you draw a casual fan to an event!!
I agree with everything here, it's just pathetic that there are "hurdles" to get over, like no other college or sports arena has figured out how to get beer to people in their seats.

Oh no..the possibility that college kids would drink beer at a sporting event!? OH THE HUMANITY!! WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:
HASwatTeam wrote:I agree that the biggest issue needs to be expansion of the drinking area. Allowing beer to be brought back to seats would be AWESOME, however I don't know how plausible that is considering the hurtles that would need to be jumped before it was ever allowed.

I agree with everything here, it's just pathetic that there are "hurdles" to get over, like no other college or sports arena has figured out how to get beer to people in their seats.

Oh no..the possibility that college kids would drink beer at a sporting event!? OH THE HUMANITY!! WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.
didnt you know? If all those poor naive college kids see someone drinking a beer it'll give them the idea to drink beer too. Lord knows they're all innocent angels that have never partaken in such activities before :roll:

yes, the attitudes towards alcohol at URI is over the top in 1 direction. it's the over reaction from the #1 party school days (even though all their heavy rules did was push all the partying off campus)
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

didnt you know? If all those poor naive college kids see someone drinking a beer it'll give them the idea to drink beer too. Lord knows they're all innocent angels that have never partaken in such activities before :roll:

yes, the attitudes towards alcohol at URI is over the top in 1 direction. it's the over reaction from the #1 party school days (even though all their heavy rules did was push all the partying off campus)
And see an increase in harder drugs that are less easily detected. Not really for this thread, but the 21 drinking age is an absurd experiment that has led to kids taking their parents pills to get high and whatever else they can get their hands on. Give em beer when they are 18, make the legal driving limit .02 until they are 21 and take their license for 3 months if they are .02 to .08. Legislate responsibility not abstinence.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

How does drinking beer make for a better basketball experience?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

because..."Nothing goes better together with everything than beer" ?
2 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Ha !..........Quinnipiac tried something different......there are only 34 D1 basketball arenas that serve beer, and most are off campus.

QU has a club where you can drink and watch the game, or the hockey games, but you can't take the drinks to the arena seating. They have a buffet, and waitresses, much like a restaurant. Not sure of the cost though.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

CTRamfan wrote:How does drinking beer make for a better basketball experience?
Why not?
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

CTRamfan wrote:How does drinking beer make for a better basketball experience?
Whether or not it does for you personally, it does for the masses. Show me any sporting event and I will show you the loudest 30-40% of a building are those imbibing. It's why Gillette is made fun of constantly during the regular season as the "real housewives of foxboro" until the weather turns and the rich, old, quiet people give their tickets to their children and grandchildren who go booze up and cheer their lungs out.

It's even more important when you have a student population who isn't already committed to basketball to a level everyone on this board would like to see.

The mind of a college kid bases all decisions on beer, and where they can drink it. Like it or not that's the reality. That's certainly the reality of the target market of fans everyone wants to see in the building; i.e. the loud, typical, fun college crowd.

If you ask anyone what's been missing in the years previous to now, it's the loud raucous crowd everyone whines about not having.

Why?

Well in addition to us being an actually bad team, our fans by and large are older and prefer the quiet life. It's nice, but it certainly doesn't provide a homecourt advantage.

You want students and young people?

Let them drink beer normally like they can miles away from campus. Kingston isn't a destination for anything past 5pm. If basketball isn't the draw by itself, you need another carrot. It's very obvious what that is.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I'm ok with drinking in the pub but they need to expand it, serve more food, and have more and better TVs. That way if you spend 10 minutes of game time in there you're not missing the game
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

My daughter just moved into her dorm today and texted me that she joined the #RhodyRuckus. 8-) 8-) 8-)
14 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

As a program fan base we are at a VERY crucial point. One way we could maximize out potential is of course by getting a max student crowd for each game. However that is done by winning and NCAA appearances...something we now have. They way you draw back alumni and lapsed fans who have to make more of a sacrifice than walking 30 steps from their dorm to attend a game is by creating a full experience. An increased beer garden area would not necessarily increase family appearances, but it sure as HELL would increase the young alumni attendance. That would build roots, and set an example for those seniors about to graduate each year who will plan from the get-go to return for basketball games. To me, its a slippery slope.

Disclaimer: I clearly love beer, so this post may appear biased...but I also love business, and successful college basketball programs are like businesses, they are built through capitalizing on opportunities...especially those right in front of you
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote:My daughter just moved into her dorm today and texted me that she joined the #RhodyRuckus. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Haha! Lucky!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote:
theblueram wrote:My daughter just moved into her dorm today and texted me that she joined the #RhodyRuckus. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Haha! Lucky!

1st Great College Decision - Chose URI!!
2nd Great College Decision - Joined the RhodyRuckus!!

2 for 2
4 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

I'm not sure what all the details are, but I know the ruckus is going function a similarly to the mob a few years back. it costs $20 to join and you get priority on student tickets
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I personally just don't get all this obsession with beer distribution at the Ryan Center. I like beer but I would rather get it at a nice restaurant or bar before or after the game. At restaurants and bars, there is typically a far wider and better selection along with it usually being less expensive. Furthermore, I more enjoy drinking a beer at a nice establishment with tables and comfortable chairs while eating a good meal or having a conversation with friends. I have no issue in it being either before or after a Ryan Center game. I rather not waste any time getting a beer at a game and missing any on court action.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote:I personally just don't get all this obsession with beer distribution at the Ryan Center. I like beer but I would rather get it at a nice restaurant or bar before or after the game. At restaurants and bars, there is typically a far wider and better selection along with it usually being less expensive. Furthermore, I more enjoy drinking a beer at a nice establishment with tables and comfortable chairs while eating a good meal or having a conversation with friends. I have no issue in it being either before or after a Ryan Center game. I rather not waste any time getting a beer at a game and missing any on court action.
Point being that's you. You're already at the Ryan Center.

We want the people that aren't there. The people that are loud. Those people want beer. Those people want to watch sports with beer. A majority of people feel that way...maybe not in this fan base...but that's one reason our fan base is pretty small, especially in the building.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man wrote: Point being that's you. You're already at the Ryan Center.

We want the people that aren't there. The people that are loud. Those people want beer. Those people want to watch sports with beer. A majority of people feel that way...maybe not in this fan base...but that's one reason our fan base is pretty small, especially in the building.
It would seem all the people on this site advocating for beer are already there as well.

If you think the Ryan Center serving beer will suddenly increase ticket sales, show me evidence to support this. It seems to me that locally, the McCoy Stadium home of the Pawsox, serves beer. They have a good selection and allow patrons to bring it back to their seats. Their attendance until this past year had been in steep decline over the last decade. Having beer has not been a big ticket seller for them. It would seem many other factors are at work which have impacted ticket sales.

Look, I am not necessarily against beer sales at the Ryan Center. I just am not much concerned with it as many others seem to be. I also do not think it will really impact additional ticket sales. My guess is its primary benefit to URI is the revenue from its sale at the games. There are many other factors far more important than beer which drive ticket sales. Chief among these is consistent winning and postseason success.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1, there aren't any places near the Ryan center to get a beer or meal before the game, especially on weeknights. It is hard enough for many to be in their seats for a 7pm tip even without stopping for dinner or a quick pregame drink.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:RF1, there aren't any places near the Ryan center to get a beer or meal before the game, especially on weeknights. It is hard enough for many to be in their seats for a 7pm tip even without stopping for dinner or a quick pregame drink.
THIS is a great point. As we know, Kingston isn't exactly thriving with restaurants and bars, which is a major downfall for sporting events at URI. So having a chance to buy a beer here is great and wellllll appreciated by fans as easily observed during the past season. Even opposing team fans love it.
2 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:
RF1 wrote:I personally just don't get all this obsession with beer distribution at the Ryan Center. I like beer but I would rather get it at a nice restaurant or bar before or after the game. At restaurants and bars, there is typically a far wider and better selection along with it usually being less expensive. Furthermore, I more enjoy drinking a beer at a nice establishment with tables and comfortable chairs while eating a good meal or having a conversation with friends. I have no issue in it being either before or after a Ryan Center game. I rather not waste any time getting a beer at a game and missing any on court action.
Point being that's you. You're already at the Ryan Center.

I'm pretty sure the SEC doesn't allow alcohol at any of there sporting events and they seem to do ok with attendance. I think you're really overestimating the number of people who don't go to games because they can't have a beer in their seat.

Would it be nice to drink a beer at my seat? Sure, and I'm sure they'd sell more beers as well but I think it'd have a very small impact on attendance, maybe no impact at all.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I don't think anyone has said beer is the top driver for attendance, but it is a factor in the overall decision making process of attending a game in person vs watching at home. At this point, we are at the "why not take the next step" phase with this beer/wine experiment at the Ryan Center. It's Dooley's call. That's the only thing stopping it at this point.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I like beer and I like sports. But never has my decision to attend an event been based on my ability to drink beer there. Would it add to the experience, I guess a bit for some...would also add to the bathroom line. That said, if they are going to do it then it should be done in a way that is of a higher caliber and a better fan experience within the designated area. If someone is coming to a URI game because they now can chug 4-5 beers in the 2 hours that doesn't necessarily seem like a high quality consumer. Also according to all statistics drinking is way down amongst 18-22 year olds, and at that age if you want to be drunk at the RC you will figure out a way to do that...net net, my POV is keep it within the designated area but make said area a better experience for adult fans.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My POV is that it doesn't impact my decision to go or not. But....they have it there...so, since they have it there, how about have a decent product instead of stuff that sucks. Yes, an improvement to the fan experience in the designated area would be nice, but other than speeding up the line, not that big of a deal to me...just get a product in there that's enjoyable... Whatever they have, they'll sell...why not have something decent?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Again. This doesn't apply to most of the fans who come on this board. Most of us are 30's or much, much older - so priorities have changed with regards to drinking, and their idea of fun.

It does however, apply to college kids. College kids who have had a hard time supporting the basketball program with their attendance. College kids are also the only section of the fan base that stomps their feet, yells, cheers, jeers, and genuinely contributes to the college basketball atmosphere that is usually lacking at the Ryan Center.

I want beer in the seats because beer brings in rowdy college kids, and rowdy college kids provide a better environment for my team to win games in.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

First, I'm going to stick up for our students, they've been the best part of our fan base the last couple years and it hasn't been particularly close. They've done a much better job compared to previous years and compared to other segments of the population.

Second, how many college students can afford multiple seven dollar beers? How many would want to when pregaming is so much cheaper and probably better than anything we could offer in the arena?
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I really don't get the line of thinking about students...so you want a beer section serving 19 and 20 year olds beer at the RC? If college kids want to drink they always will find a way. I cannot see a scenario where beer sales and under 21 year olds mix in a college setting.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:First, I'm going to stick up for our students, they've been the best part of our fan base the last couple years and it hasn't been particularly close. They've done a much better job compared to previous years and compared to other segments of the population.

Second, how many college students can afford multiple seven dollar beers? How many would want to when pregaming is so much cheaper and probably better than anything we could offer in the arena?
One more thing. I don't know how strict they are at checking IDs, but I'm guessing they are very strict. What % of college students are 21? I know I didn't turn 21 until January of my senior year.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

One more thing to add regarding students, and I was one only a few years ago, most know it's very easy to sneak alcohol into the RC. When I was a student I would usually bring a half pint with me and I know I wasn't the only one doing this. Hell, I even saw a kid who brought 5 bud light platinums to a game.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

josephski wrote:One more thing to add regarding students, and I was one only a few years ago, most know it's very easy to sneak alcohol into the RC. When I was a student I would usually bring a half pint with me and I know I wasn't the only one doing this. Hell, I even saw a kid who brought 5 bud light platinums to a game.

I agree as I have seen students adding liquor to their Ryan Center purchased non-alcoholic beverages at games.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

should have clarified with "college-aged" kids. People in their early to mid-twenties.

Again, I don't know how this is much of a debate. It's probably the #1 complaint of casual fans who don't frequent the Ryan Center. Should be a much easier fix than it's being made.

If people didn't enjoy drinking beers at games the lines at both pubs and the alumni lounge wouldn't be longer than halftime.

Seems foolish to not follow through.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea never mind the thirst quenching and roundy home crowd advantage, the RC would clean up money wise.
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:First, I'm going to stick up for our students, they've been the best part of our fan base the last couple years and it hasn't been particularly close. They've done a much better job compared to previous years and compared to other segments of the population.

One more thing. I don't know how strict they are at checking IDs, but I'm guessing they are very strict. What % of college students are 21? I know I didn't turn 21 until January of my senior year.
a pretty good portion, probably between 40-50%

The majority of students turn 21 in their junior year.

freshman - 18 turn 19
sophomore - 19 turn 20
junior - 20 turn 21
senior - 21 turn 22
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

a pretty good portion, probably between 40-50%

The majority of students turn 21 in their junior year.

freshman - 18 turn 19
sophomore - 19 turn 20
junior - 20 turn 21
senior - 21 turn 22
But, how many of those turn 21 by March? That's what is relevant here. My daughter just turned 21 2 weeks ago and just started her senior year. Most of her friends/classmates turned 21 this summer also.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Like Blueman has stated, "college aged" also refers to recent alum or anyone in there 20s such as myself, just for clarification.
1 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The RC would not have been built if we didn't have an alum in the governor's office.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... work-ethic
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:The RC would not have been built if we didn't have an alum in the governor's office.

Haven't seen a governor with genuine interest in this state succeeding since him.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:The RC would not have been built if we didn't have an alum in the governor's office.

Did anyone else see Mike Tamburro's letter to the Projo in support of a new Pawsox stadium. In it, he referenced the Ryan Center as a defense to his campaign for state support:

• No different than the Dunkin’ Donut Center, the Ryan Center, or McCoy Stadium.
The Ryan Center, the only venue of the three that primarily serves a public entity (URI) actually got the least support (% wise) from the state of the venues he referenced. The DDC and McCoy Stadium renovation were near 100% covered by the state. URI had to fund nearly 2/3 of the cost of the Ryan Center on its own. RI and Pawtucket would pick up approximately 45% of the cost for a new Pawsox stadium proposed for downtown Pawtucket at the Apex site.

It irks me to see the Ryan Center used in this way when it, unlike the others, was built for a public state entity, and done so with the lowest percentage of taxpayer money. If others want to use the Ryan Center as an example for their handouts, URI should fully embrace that philosophy when it seeks state support for upgrading some of its dilapidated athletic facilities (Meade and track).

My Turn: Mike Tamburro: Keep PawSox in R.I. till 2050
http://www.providencejournal.com/opinio ... -till-2050
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:

Did anyone else see Mike Tamburro's letter to the Projo in support of a new Pawsox stadium. In it, he referenced the Ryan Center as a defense to his campaign for state support:

• No different than the Dunkin’ Donut Center, the Ryan Center, or McCoy Stadium.
The Ryan Center, the only venue of the three that primarily serves a public entity (URI) actually got the least support (% wise) from the state of the venues he referenced. The DDC and McCoy Stadium renovation were near 100% covered by the state. URI had to fund nearly 2/3 of the cost of the Ryan Center on its own. RI and Pawtucket would pick up approximately 45% of the cost for a new Pawsox stadium proposed for downtown Pawtucket at the Apex site.

It irks me to see the Ryan Center used in this way when it, unlike the others, was built for a public state entity, and done so with the lowest percentage of taxpayer money. If others want to use the Ryan Center as a example for their handouts, URI should fully embrace that philosophy when it seeks state support for upgrading some of its dilapidated athletic facilities (Meade and track).

My Turn: Mike Tamburro: Keep PawSox in R.I. till 2050
http://www.providencejournal.com/opinio ... -till-2050
Comparing the Ryan Center to McCoy Stadium makes my blood boil.

An on-campus facility at the state's flagship university (especially based on the lack of funding the State of RI even contributes to the school) is completely different than a for-profit organization asking for taxpayer handouts. They only need to make upgrades to McCoy-- whatever they'd have to spend is mere pocket change for Lucchino.

The fleecing does not stop.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Koch said he was going to educate Rhode Islanders on matters like these. Start with people at your own paper like Patinkin, Bill.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Koch said he was going to educate Rhode Islanders on matters like these. Start with people at your own paper like Patinkin, Bill.

In fairness to Bill, Mike Tamburro, Vice Chairman of the Pawtucket Red Sox, is not an employee of the Projo. His reference was in a letter to the paper from him.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

trophy?
decent beer?
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Trophy Case?
1 x
GO RAMS
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Carl Koussa statue
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Am I the only one that thinks the new security measures and parking situation is going to be a nightmare??. Usually park in the boss arena lot and that's tough enough to get out off.. How fun is it for most of us to get out of the plains lot? Also, I get the wands, but we have trouble moving lines at games as it is.. Sorry don't believe they will be properly prepared.. Could affect attendance down the road
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

In this day and age I am willing to accept extreme vetting at the turnstiles.....you'll get no complaints from me....
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Agree, but the parking sitch blows. Takes forever to get out of Plains Lot no matter what...not even sure what can be done about it....
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:^ Agree, but the parking sitch blows. Takes forever to get out of Plains Lot no matter what...not even sure what can be done about it....
Keep the pub open for an hour after the game. That way you can wait it out with a brew.
5 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Get there early, that will resolve any issues you might have.
2 x