General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

An offer used to be like a marriage proposal, now it's let's get to know each other better.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

How often do recruits "accept" an offer and later have the offer taken away because the coach wants a different player?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

It's more that they string the player along.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

So it's clear who our top two front court targets are with this class but does anybody know who are top 2-3 guard targets are? Not much being reported on that front and with all the playing time available at that position after this year you would think we would be involved with some highly sought after prospects but maybe we are and it's not being as reported as much.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

CT Rhody wrote:So it's clear who our top two front court targets are with this class but does anybody know who are top 2-3 guard targets are? Not much being reported on that front and with all the playing time available at that position after this year you would think we would be involved with some highly sought after prospects but maybe we are and it's not being as reported as much.
Gotta figure Balanc, Gilbrewhit, and Ant are the top 3
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Ant as in Anthony Nelson? If so that's good. Hope they keep tabs on Jeenathan Williams too. Those would be 2 fantastic guard gets for us.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Brendan Adams. Sounds like he was inconsistent in July, but if he ends up even a little like his brother, he'll be very good.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Anybody else worried that we have all this playing time open for guards next year and we aren't involved with any top 100-125 prospects?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

CT Rhody wrote:Anybody else worried that we have all this playing time open for guards next year and we aren't involved with any top 100-125 prospects?
You asked roughly the same thing yesterday, so, I'm guessing the answer is no. Given Hurley's track record with guards so far - Munford, Matthews, Terrell, Garrett, Dotwin, the very early returns on Russell - I'm assuming the confidence level with his scouting on that position is much higher than it is with big men.
3 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Does anyone know if we have some early involvement with Herren Jr? Interesting prospect to say the least.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni wrote:

Does anyone know if we have some early involvement with Herren Jr? Interesting prospect to say the least.
This game is on ESPNU tonight at 10 o'clock if anyone wants to see Chris play. I'm a little shocked that he was invited to this. These are some of the top high school players in the country. https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/07/26/ste ... s-invites/
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

This game is on ESPNU tonight at 10 o'clock if anyone wants to see Chris play. I'm a little shocked that he was invited to this. These are some of the top high school players in the country. https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/07/26/ste ... s-invites/
His father and UA have a very tight relationship, not t he mention the kid has been blowing up this July as the focal point of the New England Playaz
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

His father and UA have a very tight relationship, not t he mention the kid has been blowing up this July as the focal point of the New England Playaz
I haven't seen him play since he left for Tabor. His biggest problem, in my opinion, was that he weighed about 120 lbs. soaking wet. Is he bigger now? I know the talent is there.
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Re: 18 MD G Matt Balanc

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Can we please stop pumping up these no name recruits? I'm all for the posts stating who they are, where the play and their interests, etc. But PLEASE stop with the "he's a freak athlete", "Late bloomer", "high upside". NO, STOP! He's a 2 star recruit. He'll be someone who MIGHT see the the floor as a backup to Fatts down the road. We seriously need to stop pumping up 2-star recruits, etc. We're competing with FGCU, Quinnipiac, and UMBC (for Christ sake). And UMass is down as a program. We shouldn't be thrilled about a recruit that we are competing with those schools for.

For example, if RUTGERS can be in 4-star PG Jalen Carey's top 6, why can't we at least push for (at the minimum) all upside 3-star recruits or higher. It's a joke. Some people on this board give us Rhody fans a bad rep. Quit being homers and let's push for and be thrilled about legit recruits (i.e. Jermaine Harris and Dana Tate). End rant.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody1992 wrote:Can we please stop pumping up these no name recruits? I'm all for the posts stating who they are, where the play and their interests, etc. But PLEASE stop with the "he's a freak athlete", "Late bloomer", "high upside". NO, STOP! He's a 2 star recruit. He'll be someone who MIGHT see the the floor as a backup to Fatts down the road. We seriously need to stop pumping up 2-star recruits, etc. We're competing with FGCU, Quinnipiac, and UMBC (for Christ sake). And UMass is down as a program. We shouldn't be thrilled about a recruit that we are competing with those schools for.

For example, if RUTGERS can be in 4-star PG Jalen Carey's top 6, why can't we at least push for (at the minimum) all upside 3-star recruits or higher. It's a joke. Some people on this board give us Rhody fans a bad rep. Quit being homers and let's push for and be thrilled about legit recruits (i.e. Jermaine Harris and Dana Tate). End rant.
I approved this post because there is nothing about that violates any forum rules, but I couldn't disagree any more with it. First of all, a lot of the analysis that a guy is a late bloomer comes from people who follow recruiting and not from fans of a program offering a kid that they've never seen. Second of all, recruiting involves 15 and 16 and 17 year old kids; inevitably kids are going to develop at different rates and on different timeframes. Third of all, recruiting services miss on kids (in both directions) all the time, and some staffs do better with player evaluations than others. If your staff consistently comes up with players that other programs missed, I wouldn't worry much about how the recruiting services regard players they offer. Five years ago you could have made this same rant in Hassan Martin's thread, and you'd have ended up looking like a dope. I can't guarantee this kid will be a great player at the A10 level, but if the staff thinks he has a chance at it I will reserve judgment. If there are evaluations out there from people who've watched the player play that tend to support that idea, then I think those evaluations are relevant (as are informed evaluations to the contrary).
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The Birdman knows...

Had a lot of @RhodyMBB fans voice concerns over the 18' class lately. RELAX. Visits galore set for Sept. Solid position on 10-12 top150 guys. Let the chips fall where they may, trust in the staffs evaluations. @DanaTate16 could be huge start to potential best class ever.
2 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody1992 wrote:Can we please stop pumping up these no name recruits? I'm all for the posts stating who they are, where the play and their interests, etc. But PLEASE stop with the "he's a freak athlete", "Late bloomer", "high upside". NO, STOP! He's a 2 star recruit. He'll be someone who MIGHT see the the floor as a backup to Fatts down the road. We seriously need to stop pumping up 2-star recruits, etc. We're competing with FGCU, Quinnipiac, and UMBC (for Christ sake). And UMass is down as a program. We shouldn't be thrilled about a recruit that we are competing with those schools for.

I approved this post because there is nothing about that violates any forum rules, but I couldn't disagree any more with it. First of all, a lot of the analysis that a guy is a late bloomer comes from people who follow recruiting and not from fans of a program offering a kid that they've never seen. Second of all, recruiting involves 15 and 16 and 17 year old kids; inevitably kids are going to develop at different rates and on different timeframes. Third of all, recruiting services miss on kids (in both directions) all the time, and some staffs do better with player evaluations than others. If your staff consistently comes up with players that other programs missed, I wouldn't worry much about how the recruiting services regard players they offer. Five years ago you could have made this same rant in Hassan Martin's thread, and you'd have ended up looking like a dope. I can't guarantee this kid will be a great player at the A10 level, but if the staff thinks he has a chance at it I will reserve judgment. If there are evaluations out there from people who've watched the player play that tend to support that idea, then I think those evaluations are relevant (as are informed evaluations to the contrary).
You have your opinion and I have mine. I am very active in the recruiting world. I'm not just a "fan of the program" as you say. I understand Martin was the same case, however Martin is a rare case. Not many guys make that sort of leap. Also Hassan Martin was a 3 star recruit and inside the top 200. I have no problem with giving the kid an evaluation and profile on here, but all I'm saying is we don't need to pump the kid up talking like he's the rare diamond in the rough and we're stealing gold from every other program. He could be a nice little chip, but I just think we should pump the brakes on pumping his tires, that's all.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Awesome tweet. Great time to be a Ram fan. Though some are uneasy we haven't had any verbals yet when have we ever been in the position to be hosting "Visits galore from Top 150 players." We are in new territory as a program. Go Rhody!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, and Birdman has very good sources.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think the birdman is rambone, but they're like alter egos of each other.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He knew about Tom Moore, Ryan Preston, UNC/Asheville and several other things days before it was reported on this board. Believe me, he has very good info. Tons of visits in September, he told me. We'll see if he's right.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

To be clear, I was joking.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:The Birdman knows...

Had a lot of @RhodyMBB fans voice concerns over the 18' class lately. RELAX. Visits galore set for Sept. Solid position on 10-12 top150 guys. Let the chips fall where they may, trust in the staffs evaluations. @DanaTate16 could be huge start to potential best class ever.
Dana Tate liked the tweet he was mentioned in.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:The Birdman knows...

Dana Tate liked the tweet he was mentioned in.
True, but he also liked tweets from UMASS guys, Richmond guys, etc. But I do think we are the big favorite for Dana. 100%? No. But big favorites.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I know it doesn't mean anything, but I also noticed where Jermaine Harris retweeted that URI has offered Earl Timberlake and he also retweeted a tweet that Fatts posted, which was a video of himself practicing with practicing with the Rams.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So who are the top guards to replace 4 stars EC, Jared and Stan next year?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dowtin, Fatts and Thompson
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dowtin is certainly starting point guard. But Thompson hasn't played much and Fatts is a freshman. Think we need a tad bit more than that.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:So who are the top guards to replace 4 stars EC, Jared and Stan next year?
Dowtin, Fatts, Thompson
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dowtin's a point guard. Where is Fatt's gonna play?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I can see Dowtin putting up all conference numbers as a point guard, but is Thompson going to be a scoring leader in the A10?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Thompson is the next EC?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Thompson is good. He seems to have a similar build to EC. I fear he isn't even as good as Jamal Wilson. Never mind EC. I still think I'm in the top 5 of Thompson fans. Idk.

I don't like these posts saying this kid Balanc is good for the A10. For the most part URI is the top of the A10. The programs aren't equal.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Thompson is good. He seems to have a similar build to EC. I fear he isn't even as good as Jamal Wilson. Never mind EC. I still think I'm in the top 5 of Thompson fans. Idk.

I don't like these posts saying this kid Balanc is good for the A10. For the most part URI is the top of the A10. The programs aren't equal.
Agreed, you have the high major programs in the A-10 and then the mid major programs in the A-10, there is a significant difference unfortunately.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

"Could be huge start to potential best class ever" ....what we have been waiting for since March.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

CT Rhody wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Thompson is good. He seems to have a similar build to EC. I fear he isn't even as good as Jamal Wilson. Never mind EC. I still think I'm in the top 5 of Thompson fans. Idk.

Agreed, you have the high major programs in the A-10 and then the mid major programs in the A-10, there is a significant difference unfortunately.

Finally 2 sensible fans on here. My whole problem is that people on here beat the chest and say we're the class of the A10, yet we haven't really taken a big step forward in terms of recruiting compared to said programs of the A10. Obviously our current roster is the best in the A10 but going forward, a lot of questions IMO.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thompson will be a contributor when he is a senior but probably won't average much more than 10 a game
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I know it I feel we are going to be landing 4 beasts in the next couple of months , we will be beast of the east
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:With changes in staff and further evaluation, some of the offers aren't really offers any more. Here's some that URI seems to be actively watching:

GUARDS:
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Brendan Adams, MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Anthony Nelson, KY
Mezzie Offurum, MD
James Bouknight, NY

FORWARDS:
Dana Tate, Calif.
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Jermaine Harris, MD
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Samba Diallo, NJ
Jack Clark, Pa.

I'm sure there are more.
Add Joel Ntambwe and Tyrese Martin to this list.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This post has nothing to do with Balanc specifically, but just an observation on the discussion about recruiting lately. There seems to be this misconception all of a sudden that to be that top of the A10 level program we have to only be recruiting guys that are 4* sure fire top 100-150 guys. Even those top level, perennial NCAA Tournament type A10 programs are never made up of twelve 4* Top 150 players.
5 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:This post has nothing to do with Balanc specifically, but just an observation on the discussion about recruiting lately. There seems to be this misconception all of a sudden that to be that top of the A10 level program we have to only be recruiting guys that are 4* sure fire top 100-150 guys. Even those top level, perennial NCAA Tournament type A10 programs are never made up of twelve 4* Top 150 players.
And that they need to be committed by June or July even though most visits occur once school starts in September.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:
adam914 wrote:This post has nothing to do with Balanc specifically, but just an observation on the discussion about recruiting lately. There seems to be this misconception all of a sudden that to be that top of the A10 level program we have to only be recruiting guys that are 4* sure fire top 100-150 guys. Even those top level, perennial NCAA Tournament type A10 programs are never made up of twelve 4* Top 150 players.
And that they need to be committed by June or July even though most visits occur one school starts in September.
Yes, definitely, this to.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I mean, how do you think we got to the top of the A10? Kuran, EC, JT, Stan were all 4* recruits. That was 25% of the team and 3/5 of the starting lineup last year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:I mean, how do you think we got to the top of the A10? Kuran, EC, JT, Stan were all 4* recruits. That was 25% of the team and 3/5 of the starting lineup last year.
Correct, 25% of the team. Not 100% of the team. So then why start getting concerned if not 100% of our recruits are 4* guys?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
theblueram wrote:I mean, how do you think we got to the top of the A10? Kuran, EC, JT, Stan were all 4* recruits. That was 25% of the team and 3/5 of the starting lineup last year.
Correct, 25% of the team. Not 100% of the team. So then why start getting concerned if not 100% of our recruits are 4* guys?
I think the concern is the lack of 4* on the radar. Not the number we get. If we get a 4* guard and a 4* big, we will be happy.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We've signed 2 four star players out of high school in 5 years. If we get Harris, that will make 3 in 6 years.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We had two transfer in as well. Cant forget that. And next year they are all gone.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:We had two transfer in as well. Cant forget that. And next year they are all gone.
That's why I think we save one scholly for either a juco, a grad transfer or a straight transfer. We could find a 4* there, especially with a straight transfer.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just saying I would hate to see us try and make a deep tournament run with just 2* and 3* recruits.
0 x