General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Billyboy78 wrote:Not sure what this is, but found it on Twitter.
"The Class", University of Rhode Island top basketball recruits. #EETykestyle https://t.co/zOJnKvdPEU
This was the tweet they had before that one, looks like a new Graphics parter with the team.

Either way...Nelson, Koureissi, Tate, and Williams all liked the tweet you mentioned.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hmm. A company with a financial relationship with the basketball program drawing, and presumably selling, drawings of recruits in URI uniforms. Hope they ran by compliance.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Live Periods for July
July 12-16
July 19-23
July 26-30

Next week two big Tournaments that College Coaches from all over will attend. Both start the day the first Live Period beings of course:
- EYBL Nike National Championships July 12-16 in North Augusta SC
- Adidas Guantlet Series Finale July 12-15 in Spartanburg SC
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Will be an interesting month of July

ERIC BOSSI: There are so many great events during July but as far as competition level, environment and something being on the line, it doesn't get better than Nike's Peach Jam. Held annually in North Augusta, S.C., the Peach Jam is Nike's top 24 programs divided into four pools of six teams each where everybody gets a minimum of five games. The crowds are huge, the intensity is always running high and it is as pressure-packed an event as you can find in grassroots basketball.

COREY EVANS: One event that I cannot wait for is the adidas Gauntlet Finale from July 12-15 in Spartanburg, S.C., in a battle for top seeding at the Summer Championships. However, what I am really excited for is what Zion Williamson will bring. The five-star forward calls Spartanburg home and now entering his final month of summer play, the crowds of both college coaches, scouts and fans should be something worth watching.

KRYSTEN PEEK: I'm most excited to see some of the players on the adidas circuit play in Las Vegas during the second live period. Due to scheduling I haven't seen Zion Williamson or Romeo Langford play yet and those are two of the most exciting players to watch in the 2018 class. Along with all the players on the adidas circuit, there are numerous other events going on in Las Vegas during that time so really it's one of the best evaluation weeks of the year

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ecruiting-
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Does anyone know about the shoe contract. Last year HM and KI worked/played at ADIDAS camps. Do we have anyone doing it this year? I would think this helps both the player and the team in recruiting.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I'm assuming we are resigning with Adidas, as EC and Jared are supposedly going to Adidas Nations this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Huge period starting tomorrow. Should start hearing some news in the next 3 weeks. With 5 schollies available, I feel we need to nail at least 3 of them to form the nucleus going forward with Cyril, Dowtin and Fatts.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I agree need to nail down at least 2/3 early
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Today Wednesday July 12 begins Live Period. Peach Jam EYBL National Championships started with a game at noon today as a play in game between Nike Team Florida and Team Final (Pa).
Nike Team Florida won and will continue on in the 24 Team Tournament and play at least 5 games - more if they more on to Saturday and Sunday playoffs. Team Final goes back home to PA. Tough single game to lose.
URI Target KJ Buffen had a nice game for Nike Team Florida with 8 points on 2-3 FG and 4-4 FT, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1TO and 4 Fouls

Schedule for the Two New England Teams:
Wednesday 5pm BABC vs RM5 Elite
Wednesday 5pm Expressions Elite vs Oakland Soldiers

Thursday 12:30pm BABC vs Meanstreets
Thursday 12:30pm Expressions Elite vs California Supreme

Thursday 8pm BABC vs CP3
Thursday 8pm Expressions Elite vs Bradley Beal

Friday 12pm BABC vs Team Takeover (DC)
Friday 12pm Expressions Elite vs PSA Cardinals

Friday 6pm BABC vs Houston Hoops
Friday 6pm Expressions Elite vs CIA Bounce

http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/s ... id=3423202

https://issuu.com/peachjam2016/docs/2017peachjammag
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any word on who Hurley watched specifically this week?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CT Rhody wrote:Any word on who Hurley watched specifically this week?
As I put in the Buffen thread......

These could be some of the players the staff watched this past week, among many others. This is the Evaluation Period for Coaches and Players. Their Main Targets may very well change over the course of the Evaluation Period. Some players did not perform up to expectations this past week, while other players exceeded expectations and raised their stock significantly, while others were about as expected.
Always interesting when the top talent in the AAU goes up against one another - tends to provide a separation from among the talent
Las Vegas is coming up which is a big Tournament. July is a great month.

On Campus Visits increase once School Starts. Coaches want to showcase their campus. Football Games take place and Basketball Players will sometimes attend the pregame tailgating, game itself and postgame activities.

I'd guess 2 to 3 of our 5 openings commit by the November Signing Day. After the July Evaluation period Coaches narrow down their lists

Our Coaching staff keeps things pretty quiet. Could very well be that some of the 5 openings are filled by players not publicized much. Coaches are also watching the 16U and even 15U players at these AAU Events, not just the 17U.

Nike EYBL Peach Jam – North Augusta, South Carolina
Jeenathan Williams – The City Rocks
Philmon Gebrewhit – Expressions Elite
Dana Tate – Expressions Elite
Brycen Goodine – BABC – 2019
Anthony Nelson – New York Lightning
KJ Buffen – Nike Team Florida
Sasha Sukhanov – Boo Williams

Adidas Gauntlet Finals – Spartanburg, South Carolina
Ousmane Diop – MASS Rivals
Akok Akok – MASS Rivals
David Duke – MASS Rivals
Mac McClung – Team Loaded Virginia
Jaelin Llewellyn – Team Loaded Virginia
Landers Nolley – Team Loaded North Carolina
Nate Hinton – Team Loaded North Carolina
Trey Wertz – Team Loaded North Carolina
Christian Hinckson – The Firm
Frankie Policelli – New York Jayhawks
Samba Diallo – New York Jayhawks
Amanze Ngumezi – 1Family
Jimmy Nichols – Garner Road

Under Armour Finals – Carrollton, Georgia
Saddiq Bey – DC Premier
Jermaine Harris – DC Premier
Tyrese Martin – WeR1
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Who are we watching there?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

With changes in staff and further evaluation, some of the offers aren't really offers any more. Here's some that URI seems to be actively watching:

GUARDS:
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Brendan Adams, MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Anthony Nelson, KY
Mezzie Offurum, MD
James Bouknight, NY
Tyrese Martin Pa.

FORWARDS:
Dana Tate, Calif. (URI)
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Jermaine Harris, MD
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Samba Diallo, NJ
Jack Clark, Pa.

I'm sure there are more.
Last edited by Iggy1979 6 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote:With changes in staff and further evaluation, some of the offers aren't really offers any more. Here's some that URI seems to be actively watching:

GUARDS:
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Brendan Adams, MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Anthony Nelson, KY
Mezzie Offurum, MD
James Bouknight, NY

FORWARDS:
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Jermaine Harris, MD
Nate Roberts, MD
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Samba Diallo, NJ
Jack Clark, Pa.

I'm sure there are more.
Did you leave out Tate on purpose?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How about this! I remember seeing a video of him when he was a little kid. Not even in high school yet and he has an offer. If he's going to be that good, maybe he can go to his dad's alma mater.

2021 Westside (NE) G Preston Murphy, Jr. has received an offer from Buffalo.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea I like Tate. He's a bully.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

That list was 18s. I'm confused about which class Tate is in.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:That list was 18s. I'm confused about which class Tate is in.
Dana is an '18. Daman is a '19.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:That list was 18s. I'm confused about which class Tate is in.
Dana is an '18. Daman is a '19.
I'll add him to the list, but Verbal commits has him as a 19:
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/dana-tate
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As far as I know, they're not recruiting Roberts. They've been following Team Melo for Adams. Not sure about Mims.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Nate Roberts Final 5: Wake Forest, Washington, Syracuse, UConn, Nebraska
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Removing Roberts. There was a report that Hurley was watching him but must've been wrong.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Last live period starts today. Should start hearing about some visits after this week.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Oregon, Rhode Island, Seton Hall, Dayton and Rice were among those with head coaches on hand for Team Final and Expressions.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... y-in-vegas
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Dan Hurley mentions and sightings on the bottom.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:With changes in staff and further evaluation, some of the offers aren't really offers any more. Here's some that URI seems to be actively watching:

GUARDS:
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Brendan Adams, MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Anthony Nelson, KY
Mezzie Offurum, MD
James Bouknight, NY

FORWARDS:
Dana Tate, Calif.
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Jermaine Harris, MD
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Samba Diallo, NJ
Jack Clark, Pa.

I'm sure there are more.
Dan was reportedly watching Kris Monroe this weekend, so we can add him to this list. He was also watching the NY Rens vs. WeR1. That would either be for Tyrese Martin or Malik Martin or somebody we don't know about yet. Kofi Cockburn is also on the Rens and is a '19, but I would think he'd be a longshot at best.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

GUARDS:
Jeenathan Williams, NY
Brendan Adams, MD
Matt Balanc, MD
Anthony Nelson, KY
Mezzie Offurum, MD
James Bouknight, NY

FORWARDS:
Dana Tate, Calif.
Philmon Gebrewhit, Mass.
Jermaine Harris, MD
Souleymane Koureissi, NY
Samba Diallo, NJ
Jack Clark, Pa.
Kris Munro, NC

I'm sure there are more.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Anybody have any inside knowledge on who we might be bringing in for official visits? Remember each player can only take 5 officials and each schedule can only host 12 for the year. Obviously you want to save a couple for the spring session incase you need to so with 10 or less at play, wonder who they will be targeting with these officials.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

No inside knowledge or anything but I'd be willing to bet we're looking to sign 3 in the fall and then bring in a couple traditional transfers to get a little more recruiting balance. It's pretty obvious we'll be bringing Dana Tate in on an official, probably Jermaine Harris, outside of those two I have no idea.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It may be that we can offer 15 official visits....I think we have had 7 officials.....and many un-officials....Jermaine Harris was here on an un-official..it will be interesting to see if he comes back on an official....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Ramulous wrote:It may be that we can offer 15 official visits....I think we have had 7 officials.....and many un-officials....Jermaine Harris was here on an un-official..it will be interesting to see if he comes back on an official....
It's 12 officials per year and we haven't had one official yet this year so we have 12 left unless I'm missing something.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

So if reports on this board pan out and we land Tate and Harris, we'll have three openings with only three guards on the roster. Those last three spots would have to go to three guards since you want six available going into the season. Maybe a big transfers after the season to open a spot for a guard grad transfer potentially. All hypotheticals right now.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

CT Rhody wrote:So if reports on this board pan out and we land Tate and Harris, we'll have three openings with only three guards on the roster. Those last three spots would have to go to three guards since you want six available going into the season. Maybe a big transfers after the season to open a spot for a guard grad transfer potentially. All hypotheticals right now.
I can't see Danny and crew tying all 5 schollies up in the 18 class. Makes wayyy more sense to only use three or four out of the five
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NorthernRamFan wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:So if reports on this board pan out and we land Tate and Harris, we'll have three openings with only three guards on the roster. Those last three spots would have to go to three guards since you want six available going into the season. Maybe a big transfers after the season to open a spot for a guard grad transfer potentially. All hypotheticals right now.
I can't see Danny and crew tying all 5 schollies up in the 18 class. Makes wayyy more sense to only use three or four out of the five
Would normally 100% agree, however if the first two commits are front court players, they would only have 3 guards on the entire roster. They would need a min of two
more signed frosh guards with a action item to secure a grad transfer in the spring slash summer in order to balance the classes a little.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Lots of variables with our current bigs....meaning Layssard and Tertsea.....if we get what looks like great talent coming in, those 2 might not stick around past next season....still leaves room for more guards and even another big. Monroe?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Lots of variables with our current bigs....meaning Layssard and Tertsea.....if we get what looks like great talent coming in, those 2 might not stick around past next season....still leaves room for more guards and even another big. Monroe?
Agreed. I actually think we could see Layssard red shirt this year. At first blush it sounds outlandish, but another year to develop his game and then have three years of eligibility is possible if he isn't ready to contribute this year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CT Rhody wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Lots of variables with our current bigs....meaning Layssard and Tertsea.....if we get what looks like great talent coming in, those 2 might not stick around past next season....still leaves room for more guards and even another big. Monroe?
Agreed. I actually think we could see Layssard red shirt this year. At first blush it sounds outlandish, but another year to develop his game and then have three years of eligibility is possible if he isn't ready to contribute this year.
I think it's outlandish. He was a high 3 star recruit. He should start playing like one.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:
I think it's outlandish. He was a high 3 star recruit. He should start playing like one.
Agreed but let's this realistically for a minute, if he can't beat out Berry, with us playing a four guard lineup this year and Akele playing the 4 when we play with two front court guys and Preston and Berry the next off the bench after that, how much time does that leave lyssard? I think the answer is none. Hence the possibility.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm concerned with Akele starting at the 4.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

I still think that they use 4 of the 5 and hold one into the next year. Tate can play anywhere from 2-4, Harris is a 3-4 (mostly 4) so they just need 2 good/solid guards. CT red shirting is a big help!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I was mistaken on the number of official visits a school can offer.....it is indeed 12.....I apologize for the mistake....

....I am channeling my inner trump and admitting my mistakes and apologizing for my hurtful remarks...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Can someone explain to me how many offers a school can make, whether is there a time limit on them, etc.?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Offers aren't an official thing and therefore aren't really regulated. Just because a school has "offered" a player doesn't even mean the player has an actual actionable offer, so there are offers and "offers." There is no limit on how many a school can make, when they can make them or anything else, really.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

What happens when some of them start to be accepted? What happens when your third choice for a slot accepts and you're still waiting to hear from the first two choices?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

KB...that is the great question in recruiting.....many kids get strung along by coaches who tell them they want to wait before they accept the kid's pledge to them...nothing is binding until a letter of intent is signed and they cannot be signed now....there is a date in the future when the kids can sign....then that is a commitment....
1 x