Athletics Branding Concept

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Athletics Branding Concept

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

https://www.behance.net/gallery/4169599 ... nd-concept
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
This is confirmed by Mike Laprey to be an unsanctioned and wholly unofficial concept not sponsored or commissioned by the University. Scroll down to read his post about the need for a brand refresh and status of apparel contract.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Rebranding?? Nike???

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I like the ram head logo used as an alternate, secondary along with the interlocking RI. The RI is not going anywhere because there are just too many schools with Rams or Ram looking logos. The primary logo must instantly positively identify the University.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That Ram logo is not even as good as this one:

In my opinion, that ram head is one of the best logos in all of sports, but I get why they went away from it for branding reasons (if a random person in Missouri sees it, they don't immediately think "URI" whereas the chance that they will make that association with the interlocking "RI" is much greater). But if we want a secondary or alternate logo incorporating "Rams," just dust off what we already have.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So is that just something someone put together as an idea? Looks like its a year old. What makes you think Nike?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

The Nike swoosh is all over the uniforms in the pictures including he shoes
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

Hi everyone - I've gotten numerous emails and questions regarding the website with the Ram redesign and thought I'd clear up a few things:

1. This is not an officially sponsored or sanctioned project from athletics. While in my humble opinion it is a very thorough and well-put together concept, it's not ours. But tip of the the cap to whomever spun it...impressive work.

2. This concept page used images Nike uniforms as examples. This should not imply that our apparel rights have changed. The RFP for our official apparel provider is out to bid now. We expect there to be a high demand for our rights. Looking forward to the process.

3. In a bit of an editorial, yes, URI Athletics is in need of a rebrand. The block RI is here to stay and for good reason. It's timeless.

However - we could use a great secondary mark and word mark, as well as an official font.

A rebranding process takes time and effort. It requires feedback from our most important constituents. We need to do it, but need to do it right.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!
ML
8 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Good stuff, thanks Mike.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

mlaprey wrote:Hi everyone - I've gotten numerous emails and questions regarding the website with the Ram redesign and thought I'd clear up a few things:

2. This concept page used images Nike uniforms as examples. This should not imply that our apparel rights have changed. The RFP for our official apparel provider is out to bid now. We expect there to be a high demand for our rights. Looking forward to the process.

3. In a bit of an editorial, yes, URI Athletics is in need of a rebrand. The block RI is here to stay and for good reason. It's timeless.

However - we could use a great secondary mark and word mark, as well as an official font.

A rebranding process takes time and effort. It requires feedback from our most important constituents. We need to do it, but need to do it right.

ML
Thanks as always for checking in. Sorry for all the follow up questions, not sure how much of the following you'd be able to answer, but here are some things I'm interested in.

2. What would be the approximate time line for an announcement on our apparel partner going forward? Is this for just the basketball program or the entire department? Outside of money, what is the department looking for when evaluating the bids? When evaluating bids, how much, if any, consideration is given to fan apparel? Would this process result in fewer new apparel items available to fans at least temporarily? In this scenario I'm assuming even if adidas retains, the contract status might mean a hitch in what new items they'd make available and a new provider could take time to get up and running.

3. Is the athletic department looking to do a rebrand? Is that something that's done in conjunction with the official apparel provider or is that something we'd do independently and then take to the provider and say "this is what we're doing going forward"?

Have a great rest of the weekend!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Athletics Branding Concept

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thanks for your insight Mike. I know we give Athletics crap, but you manage to be incredibly responsive. I look forward to how the bid process works out.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Thanks Mike. Saw it on twitter wasn't sure what it was
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like the idea of two logos. Just make sure it's not a blue version of VCU.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Well, Clemson has the Tiger Orange Paws. Maybe most people would not recognize that the Orange Tiger Paws equates with Clemson, but I still like it. Our Ram Horn design is still great, lets use it more. Thanks for whoever designed it 20 + years ago.
0 x
mlaprey
Abdul Fox

Unread post by mlaprey »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
mlaprey wrote:Hi everyone - I've gotten numerous emails and questions regarding the website with the Ram redesign and thought I'd clear up a few things:

ML
Thanks as always for checking in. Sorry for all the follow up questions, not sure how much of the following you'd be able to answer, but here are some things I'm interested in.

2. What would be the approximate time line for an announcement on our apparel partner going forward? Is this for just the basketball program or the entire department? Outside of money, what is the department looking for when evaluating the bids? When evaluating bids, how much, if any, consideration is given to fan apparel? Would this process result in fewer new apparel items available to fans at least temporarily? In this scenario I'm assuming even if adidas retains, the contract status might mean a hitch in what new items they'd make available and a new provider could take time to get up and running.

**The apparel contract runs through the end of this current fiscal year (June 30, 2018). The RFP is out there now and there's no firm timeline for a bid to be awarded. It would be a departmental bid, while MBB has the ability to solicit a separate agreement. As of right now, the MBB program is among the handful of schools on adidas' elite track.

Good question re: fan apparel. If there is a change in apparel provider, I would hope that they would have branded merchandise in place as quickly as possible. Over the last two years, there has been a huge improvement in the amount and quality of the adidas gear sold in the RamZone and in the bookstore. Credit to both of our partners - adidas and Paul Whitney in the bookstore for making this happen.

3. Is the athletic department looking to do a rebrand? Is that something that's done in conjunction with the official apparel provider or is that something we'd do independently and then take to the provider and say "this is what we're doing going forward"?

**Yes, as I mentioned, I think a rebrand is something that we need. A secondary word mark, an official, font, a secondary logo (Ram). It takes time to do it right and I'm sure that will be part of the next athletics strategic planning process.

When we begin to rebrand, our apparel provider needs to have a seat at the table.

Have a great rest of the weekend!
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I have noticed, appreciated, and spent a good chunk of money on the upgraded adidas gear!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines