Ran into Jim Calhoun in Narragansett

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Ran into Jim Calhoun in Narragansett

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

So a quick story..

Yesterday I went to Stop&Shop in Narragansett for the final time with my roommates and accidentally parked next to what ended up being the car of Jim Calhoun. Had no idea at first, but while walking in we walked by an older man in a Uconn zip up and a golf hat pulled down low. After saying to my roommate, "wow that guy looks just like Jim Calhoun" we turned and saw he had a Connecticut license plate on his $85,000 Lexus. Immediately I ran over and just blurted out "Jim!?" Sure enough the great Jim Calhoun turned around.

It turns out he has a place around here. I mentioned that my roommates and I were all huge URI fans to which he reponded "yes you guys had a good year, Dan's doing a great job."
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Ran into Jim Calhoun in Narragansett

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Respect from a hall of fame coach, I'm liking it!
1 x
GO RAMS
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

You should have run over him............
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He has a house in Green Hill next to friends of mine.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would rant on JC, but I won't.
1 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Should have asked him about Ryan Gomes.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Don't get me started on Calhoun. Letting his assistants get fired multiple times based on violations he was committing. Would never play us either. I'm not a fan at all.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll take his 3 national titles though.

Now fess up, you all would too.

This isn't a beauty contest, you know.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

When Calhoun was at Northeastern, he was one of the coaches
whose names would come up regarding the URI job.
Not sure it ever got beyond the rumor stage.
Three NCAA titles and a load of NBA players.
Who honestly wouldn't take that?
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Another coach who easily could have got by on his great coaching. But chose to skirt the rules any chance he could.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

woodennickel1 wrote:Another coach who easily could have got by on his great coaching. But chose to skirt the rules any chance he could.
Somebody's bitter.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't like the fact that he told you how much his car costs.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The way I read it, I don't think Calhoun said anything about how much the car costs
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:When Calhoun was at Northeastern, he was one of the coaches
whose names would come up regarding the URI job.
Not sure it ever got beyond the rumor stage.
Three NCAA titles and a load of NBA players.
Who honestly wouldn't take that?
That's an interesting alternate reality, what if he comes here to replace Jack Kraft or Claude English?

What's his ceiling in the A10 at URI with the facilities we had at the time? Does he stay to build things up and become coach for life here? Does he bolt for a bigger job? Does the Penders/Skinner era ever happen? What does UConn look like without him?
1 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I ran into him after golf once...had a great convo that he went out of his way to keep on going....he's a cool dude in my book.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice story running into a hall of famer
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

RR02, yes it's interesting to imagine what would have
happened to the program, if Calhoun had come aboard
at either time.
Same with Bobby Knight, who interviewed to replace
Ernie Calverly in 1969.
Zarchen and Co. felt he was too much of an defensive coach
at Army, and hired Duke assistant, Tom Carmody, instead.
Next to Jerry D, the worst coach I saw at URI.
Even if they didn't become coaches for life, they most likely
would have left the program in better shape than they found it.
Like Penders, Skinner and Harrick, you can't leave
until you win.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

My bad...I thought you accidentally parked too close to his car and he came out and yelled at you and said it was an $85,000 car.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

HASwatTeam....you should have asked him why they won't play us....actually I think it's Calhoun himself that doesn't want to......

Would have been interesting to get his reaction to that one.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There goes the neighborhood.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

you ask him why he killed a 80+ year, 150+ game rivalry because he was too much of a chicken sh*t coward to go on the road?
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm sure he'd tell you that UConn had nothing to gain by playing us......but things have changed now.

I've heard that Ollie wants to play us....but won't because 'ol Haystack will have none of it....they still pay him 250K a year to be an "advisor" to the program.....in other words forget playing them until after he croaks.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody vs. UCONN. Mohegan Sun.

Need it.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote:Rhody vs. UCONN. Mohegan Sun.

Need it.
Damn straight - I'll take that, fair for both sides and a step to rebuilding the rivalry. UConn needs a more natural rival now that they are out of the old BE. I also think we should be playing BC most years. There is no reason the 5 top New England teams should not be playing each other every year, or most years. Would be great for NE basketball.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UConn now considers the University of Central Florida as its rival. They even gave it a name (Civil Conflicy) and trophy. The Orlando, FL and Storrs, CT schools have a long history (less than 10 years), both have east coast locations (only about 1000 miles apart), and share academic missions.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In fairness, the Civil Conflict was only for football, it was roundly mocked, and the UConn football coach who came up with it is fired.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought this was going to be one of those Pat Riley stories.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......heard he will be teeing it up at PJCC.....I will be looking....
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:In fairness, the Civil Conflict was only for football, it was roundly mocked, and the UConn football coach who came up with it is fired.

My post was sarcastic and meant to illustrate the absurdity of the series with UCF being considered a rival. UCF scoffed at the notion and would not even accept the trophy after their win at UConn this past year.

Even with few games in the last three decades, URI is still far and away the most played team for UConn hoops (as well as for most all other sports). The Huskies have played URI some 40 more games than the #2 most played team (UNH).
0 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

rambone 78 wrote:HASwatTeam....you should have asked him why they won't play us....actually I think it's Calhoun himself that doesn't want to......

Would have been interesting to get his reaction to that one.
Thought about that immediately after walking away. Wanted to tell him to have Kevin Ollie call Dan and schedule an OOC and get the rivalry going again.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love seeing UConn men's hoops struggle
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm sure he'd tell you that UConn had nothing to gain by playing us......but things have changed now.

I've heard that Ollie wants to play us....but won't because 'ol Haystack will have none of it....they still pay him 250K a year to be an "advisor" to the program.....in other words forget playing them until after he croaks.
There's no way on Earth Ollie would consent to play URI. Ed Cooley offered to play a single game in Hartford a few years ago, with no return game, and he refused. Ollie realizes that UConn's grip on NE hoops is tenuous at best. Providence is probably ahead of them at this current moment, and URI could also pass them shortly assuming Hurley stays (which I think he will). He will continue to get national games for as long as their reputation holds up, and eventually fade into AAC mediocrity.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The irony today is that UConn has no rivals. The Huskies crapped on longtime rivals like URI and to a lesser extent UMass when they went to the Big East refusing to play them. They have done the same to some perceived lower level programs from the old Big East such as Providence. Some of their old Big East partners that went on to better conferences (such as Syracuse and BC) have been reluctant to schedule them. Their membership in a far flung new conference (AAC) does not lend itself to new rivals. They are all alone with no real rivals.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, that is by their choice.......if they think they are above us and others....then fuck them....the reality for them is, is that they are in a meh conference for BB and football......and TV money is poor with very high travel costs.......the longer they stay there, the worse it will get for them....adding Wichita St. for BB will help, but it's still in a no man's land between the P5 conferences and the A10.....and it's no BE that's for sure either.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bigsnoop wrote:Ollie realizes that UConn's grip on NE hoops is tenuous at best. Providence is probably ahead of them at this current moment
UConn won a National Championship 3 years ago. Providence has won 1 tourney game in the last 20 years. Yeah, Providence definitely gets the edge!
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

adam914 wrote:
Bigsnoop wrote:Ollie realizes that UConn's grip on NE hoops is tenuous at best. Providence is probably ahead of them at this current moment
UConn won a National Championship 3 years ago. Providence has won 1 tourney game in the last 20 years. Yeah, Providence definitely gets the edge!
As I said, at this current moment. Over the past 20 years, they are as strong as any school in the country. Currently, however, they have one NCAA appearance in the past three years, and that required a 70 foot shot to secure that bid. They are in a significantly weaker conference than Providence, and they have no local or conference rivals.

As of May, 2017, no Providence fan would trade their present and future for UConn, and I suspect the same is true of URI. I am also positive that not one Providence fan would trade Ed Cooley for Kevin Ollie, and no URI fans would trade Dan Hurry for him.

Coach Cooley and Hurley have shown how to build a program from rock bottom, while Ollie took over a perennial national contender, and five years later they are losing to Wagner in front of friends and family.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think the seat would start to get warm for Ollie if they don't dance again this year
0 x
EastCTRam69
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by EastCTRam69 »

Bigsnoop wrote:
adam914 wrote:
As I said, at this current moment. Over the past 20 years, they are as strong as any school in the country. Currently, however, they have one NCAA appearance in the past three years, and that required a 70 foot shot to secure that bid. They are in a significantly weaker conference than Providence, and they have no local or conference rivals.

As of May, 2017, no Providence fan would trade their present and future for UConn, and I suspect the same is true of URI. I am also positive that not one Providence fan would trade Ed Cooley for Kevin Ollie, and no URI fans would trade Dan Hurry for him.

Coach Cooley and Hurley have shown how to build a program from rock bottom, while Ollie took over a perennial national contender, and five years later they are losing to Wagner in front of friends and family.
Eh they may only have 1 appearance since their national championship 3 years ago, but they also have 1 win, the same number as PC in the last 20 years. Also they were in that tournament even without beating Cincinnati, as Tulsa also got in.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:I would think the seat would start to get warm for Ollie if they don't dance again this year

I hope Ollie remains the coach for many years. Better not to have any open positions in the northeast.
1 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Kevin Ollie seems like a nice guy, but I would rather have Dan Hurley as a coach than Ollie, despite his national championship. From an outsider's view, Hurley has really matured and improved as a coach during his URI tenure.

FWIW, I've been told that he really likes his position here, and his wife and family love RI. There are only a few schools that he would even consider leaving for.
Last edited by Bigsnoop 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:
reef wrote:I would think the seat would start to get warm for Ollie if they don't dance again this year

I hope Ollie remains the coach for many years. Better not to have any open positions in the northeast.
UConn would be a very, very intriguing job opportunity.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In that case I have to root for UConn to win I don't want DH to leave for Storrs
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, but who wants to live there?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Connecticut is a living tax nightmare....I know, I live there.

Of course, for the rich, they could care less.....it's everybody else that's getting screwed.

RI isn't a whole lot better, but it's good enough that I expect to move back after I retire.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Until they land in a better conference situation UConn is not a great destination for a coach in my opinion
0 x