Thompson potential redshirt year?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Thompson potential redshirt year?

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Many posters laughed when I brought up the possibliliry of one or two of the freshmen bigs last year to redshirt. As we now know, one did and two easily could and you might argue should of. I don't believe this has been touched on yet but I'm sure Dan and his staff might be talking to or looking at potentially redshirting Thompson this year.

This is due to the four senior guards currently on the roster and when you add two high level underclassmen in Dowtin and Russell, that is already 6 deep which is potentially one too many to receive significant minutes already. If you redshirt Thompson, that gives him two years for PT after the four seniors have graduated and provides Dan and company an experienced and older guard to add to the mix with Downtin and Russell to go with the expected Freshment coming in for 18-19.

Call me crazy, I think this has a high probability of happening without having any inside knowledge of what Dan and co are thinking.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Thompson potential redshirt year?

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You can redshirt somebody after 2 years without an injury?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Every player coming into college has 5 years to play 4. That's the rule.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Is Thompson good enough that it's even worth red shirting him? Dowtin already looks better than Thompson and Fatts will probably be better than Thompson as well. If we're able to land a couple decent guards for 2018 then Thompson may end up in a situation like Minnis did with Garrett. Start at the beginning of the year and then have a freshman take over his role midway through the season. If he redshirts this year then I could see Thompson's fifth year being very similar to this past season in terms of minutes.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't think we'vE seen his best. I think this idea has merit.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

josephski wrote:Is Thompson good enough that it's even worth red shirting him? Dowtin already looks better than Thompson and Fatts will probably be better than Thompson as well. If we're able to land a couple decent guards for 2018 then Thompson may end up in a situation like Minnis did with Garrett. Start at the beginning of the year and then have a freshman take over his role midway through the season. If he redshirts this year then I could see Thompson's fifth year being very similar to this past season in terms of minutes.
First of all, I would say yes. Thompson is good. Realistically, he might be the 7th guard this year but that's a statement about how good the other 6 are. Four of them graduate next year.

Second of all, the tough part of this might be selling the player on the idea. I think if you can sell Christion on it, it's not a bad idea. It might be easier to sell him on it if he realized he might be looking at 5-8 minutes per night this coming season, but could get 20 minutes or more in 2019-20.

Not a bad thought.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote:You can redshirt somebody after 2 years without an injury?
Yes. Kelly Olynyk is the most recent example I can think of who did that.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That definitely could be a good thing for us.
It's hard to say how good he can be since he hasn't gotten consistent and significant minutes yet.
Instead of just Dowtin graduating as a the only senior guard in 20' it would be him and Thompson.
It's not likely all the young guys in the next couple years would all be good enough to take his minutes.
It could be the best thing for us, but that's just one scenario that could play out.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

In this scenario, Thompson would also be eligible to transfer and play right away after year 4, assuming he graduates in that time. Supposedly he is a good student, so I'm guessing he would graduate.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

If Thompson receives significant minutes in 18-19 as a redshirt Junior, odds are he would stay for his redshirt senior year. As we have seen, not many players transfer from Dan's program. The only ones who have so far are the ones he wanted to.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like this idea also makes a lot of sense

It would be the same if he did transfer he would have to sit out next year anyway
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

CT, good thinking, I like it.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't mean to break up everyone's fairytale, but why would Thompson agree to this?

You're focusing on the four senior guards leaving, but he's seeing himself already being recruited over at guard. How does that change and get better for him sitting out a year? With all these scholarships coming open, how many will go to guards? We always talk about players having rust sitting out a year, so Thompson sits out a year and comes back rusty trying to compete for time at a position he's been recruited against and those players aren't rusty because they didn't sit. Why would he agree to that scenario? Why wouldn't he just transfer at that point? For those of you ok with him transferring, keep in mind we already seem to be having trouble filling our last scholarship, do we really need a second opening?

The only way this makes even a little sense for Thompson is if he's on pace to graduate in four years so that he has the grad transfer option, and even then it might not be a good idea for him
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I think he would be up for this for the simple reason that he would have two years to receive significant minutes instead of just one. I know you mentioned rust but he'll have this year to practice against our deep stable of guards to continue to improve his game. I like Thompson's game a lot, he just won't have much of an opportunity this year with what is returning. I think he will be more mature, savvy, and experienced than any freshmen guards we will bring in during the next two years and can that senior leader that every team requires.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

THERE ARE 2 CHOICES FOR CT,BOTH OF WHICH HE SITS A YEAR.HE CAN REDSHIRT OR TRANSFER

HARD TO DETERMINE WHICH WILL RESULT IN THE MOST PLAYING TIME
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How do we know the redshirt option for CT is even being considered?

Maybe it makes sense in certain ways....but it doesn't mean it will happen.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He was hurt this past year. If he tweaks his shot to set his feet and gets healthy there is no reason he can't play his way on to the floor. He is really good.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What is the best option for CT? The answer is transferring if a good option presents itself. If JG is considering playing BB after college, he should consider the same - Jeff Dowtin is a far superior PG and should get the majority of minutes next year. These are probably not the best options for URI although it would free up scholarships.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

CTRhody started this thread

"I'm sure Dan and his staff might be talking to or looking at potentially redshirting Thompson this year.......Call me crazy, I think this has a high probability of happening without having any inside knowledge of what Dan and co are thinking."

Would you really run with this highly speculative premise.....I wouldn't.....might be...potentially....crazy....I think...without any....knowledge...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

'72, with more idiocy.
Redshirts do count toward scholarship counts.
And Dowtin is in no way "far superior" to Jarvis Garrett.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That's his trademark, the cliche internet contrarian

Two totally different players, plenty of scenarios where they can both have great upcoming seasons.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

CT Rhody wrote:I think he would be up for this for the simple reason that he would have two years to receive significant minutes instead of just one. I know you mentioned rust but he'll have this year to practice against our deep stable of guards to continue to improve his game. I like Thompson's game a lot, he just won't have much of an opportunity this year with what is returning. I think he will be more mature, savvy, and experienced than any freshmen guards we will bring in during the next two years and can that senior leader that every team requires.
There's no guarantee he would get significant minutes his redshirt senior year. What if we bring in two freshman next year who are similar to Terrell and EC when they were freshman? Or what if we bring in another transfer such as Stan? I don't see anyway Hurley could guarantee Thompson significant minutes his last two years if he was to redshirt which is what Hurley would need to sell to Thompson for him to consider the idea.

As for leadership, Dowtin looked like one of the best leaders on this team as a freshman. Dowtin, Langevine, and Layssard would all be seniors during Thompson's redshirt senior year so I don't see how leadership factors into the idea of redshirting Thompson.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:'72, with more idiocy.
Redshirts do count toward scholarship counts.
And Dowtin is in no way "far superior" to Jarvis Garrett.
When Garrett's healthy he makes the team substantially better.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

No - what dan needs to sell him on is the fact that if he transfers he has to sit a year, so sit a year here, there will be plenty of opportunity for PT you RS senior year, and then if you still want to transfer you can do so as a grad transfer. I think it makes a lot of sense except, I think he and Terrell can cover the "4" for us next year for about 15 to 20 mins a game which will create some minutes.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

We lose any of these guys and the program hurts because of it. I don't know why you would speculate about losing Thompson or Garrett. We are lucky to have both of them.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He will have a hard time finding minutes next year unless we get an injury
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Good thread !

I think Hurley really trusts his defense.....Given his size and quickness, he is a keeper.
.....Red shirting could be in the plans. Keep in mind Thompson was injured most of last year.....A year to heal, and work on his offense.
.....Makes perfect sense to me.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I blame all of you (not really).
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Do we know how bad the knee injury is? I haven't seen anything else about it.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wait. What?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I thought he'd be all set by the time the season started. What's going on?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Wait. What?
Thompson had surgery on his right knee today
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Wait. What?
Thompson had surgery on his right knee today
Something major? Or just a minor cleanup?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No idea, just saw his post on Instagram
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Here's what he said about the surgery:

"surgery today went well thank you to everybody who texted me and checked on me sorry if i couldn't get back to you! if you know me you know ima boss & know i don't let anything stop me, this is just another piece of my book! i'll be back"

I presume it's the same knee that bothered him during the past season. Maybe it would be a good idea for him to redshirt, since we're deep at his position already.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Redshirting Thompson,if he's unabale to play this season,
could work out well for him and the team.
You'll have a known quantity after EC, Jarvis, and Terrell leave.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Why wasn't this surgery done at the end of last season? I hope it wasn't anything serious.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm guessing that they did not schedule his surgery for July 14 for an injury they were aware of in March.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: surgery for Christion

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Tom98 wrote:Why wasn't this surgery done at the end of last season? I hope it wasn't anything serious.
The hope was that it'd get better with rest but it continued to nag. They had already planned on redshirting Thompson so once he wasn't getting better he was given the option of complete rest, or surgery.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Thompson is a knock down shooter that doesn't set his feet. So we haven't seen that great shot yet. He undermines it with his body position. Many times he tries to shoot it like Vince carter does fading away and landing on one leg. Kid squares himself up and does everything consistent he is very good. Wish he would focus on that. His defense and energy is a kind of unscripted crazy style. I think that seeps into his offense and hurts him.

Tone the undisciplined part of his defense down and add some discipline to his offense and he is great. I think it is/would be hard for him to mentally discern between the way he plays and pulling back on the things he does to get fouls. It's very slight.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Red shirting CT would be the best he is injured and we have tons of guards
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Dre3000 wrote:
Tom98 wrote:Why wasn't this surgery done at the end of last season? I hope it wasn't anything serious.
The hope was that it'd get better with rest but it continued to nag. They had already planned on redshirting Thompson so once he wasn't getting better he was given the option of complete rest, or surgery.
Was this a fact that Thompson was going to be redshirted next year? As in Dan already had that in his plans?

As I made clear from the outset, I started this thread as a suspicion since it made a lot of sense from somebody on the outside "Me" looking in.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't mean to break up everyone's fairytale, but why would Thompson agree to this?

You're focusing on the four senior guards leaving, but he's seeing himself already being recruited over at guard. How does that change and get better for him sitting out a year? With all these scholarships coming open, how many will go to guards? We always talk about players having rust sitting out a year, so Thompson sits out a year and comes back rusty trying to compete for time at a position he's been recruited against and those players aren't rusty because they didn't sit. Why would he agree to that scenario? Why wouldn't he just transfer at that point? For those of you ok with him transferring, keep in mind we already seem to be having trouble filling our last scholarship, do we really need a second opening?

The only way this makes even a little sense for Thompson is if he's on pace to graduate in four years so that he has the grad transfer option, and even then it might not be a good idea for him
Welp looks like CThompson won't have a say, gotta figure with this mornings news that he'll redshirt this year to come back 100% healthy and stronger.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Was there more news this morning?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thompson seemed pretty positive in his Instagram post. He really has little choice now.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

He had his surgery 17 weeks before opening night. Obviously it depends on the nature of the surgery itself but that would seem like plenty of time to be ready to play 5-10 minutes a game if the coaching staff wanted him to.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Koch said the surgery focused on patellar tendon and cleanup. I'm not sure what that means. Is it a torn patellar? If so, that could be a 6 month recovery. I wish Koch had been a little more specific.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

CT Rhody wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Was this a fact that Thompson was going to be redshirted next year? As in Dan already had that in his plans?

As I made clear from the outset, I started this thread as a suspicion since it made a lot of sense from somebody on the outside "Me" looking in.
Yes, it was a fact. Thompson and staff had already agreed on him redshirting before the knee really started bothering him again.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Thompson redshirting really sets up good if Fatts is real deal. One other big ends up good. Then we have more than a few to put together a good team. Throw in some stellar freshmen recruits and wow.
0 x