New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The galling thing about Fordham is that they have the resources to put into a decent basketball program, but they prefer not to. The A-10 should have demanded a certain level of commitment which, if not met, forces a school out. Duquesne hasn't had much success in the league either, but it appears they're trying. Fordham isn't even trying.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Murray St has 8,600 seats and has been to the tourney a few times in the last 5-10 seasons.

These seem to be the best options besides teams from the MVC. The MVC may be a competitor for teams if they lose Creighton.

Davidson
Detroit
Murray St
Belmont
George Mason

Thoughts...
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Obadiah wrote:CTRamFan. Sorry but that has to be the lowest aspiration post I have ever read on this forum. Man are you even reading and pondering what people are posting.
I succeeded. A frank discussion of what is possible going forward.......The pickins are thin to replace any top tier A10 schools that might leave.

MAC schools are committed to their FBS football. I don't think any of them would leave.
Valpo and Detroit I think are possibilities. The A10 would be an upgrade over the Horizon league
........George Mason, Stony Brook, and Iona are programs that have recently been improving.

I have no ideas beyond these teams, who would be a good marketing/geographical/demographic fit.............VCU and Butler were the perfect additions.

An interessting discussion with the UConn AD and President Friday. Even with their deep pockets, they are concerned that the average team trip for all sports, will be 1000 miles next year instead of the 400 miles currently.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

except i do... because i elicit your response. you're welcome for the perspective.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

peeps = internet bully

anonymity suits him
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In the ny post today there are already grumbling a from West Virginia about the travel required to compete in their new conference. I'm sure the first of many when the realities of football driven realignment sinks in on all other sports.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Why don't we just ask Fox to add the new teams and then sign us to a lucrative tv contract. Then, the only thing the A10 will have to do is secretly raise the exit fee for all Virginia teams to around $100M.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I still think there will be a few predictable surprises in store for the A-10 future, the A-10 will add upgraded programs and add some lesser graded programs, for hoops. The vote off the island for the Fordhams will require buyouts to get'em to leave and go back to the patriot League?? What about the projected added schools commitments for A-10 level programs for all the other sports, other than football, is that a factor to consider??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well this is reassuring at least...from that article.

“If there are going to be realignment impacts that would affect the league, then we have to be ready to make the next-best decision. That’s my job, to make sure that the A-10 stays as strong as possible. I feel like it’s been my daily work for the last 28 months, to be honest with you.”

Seems like George Mason is a no-brainer. I just don't see them ever getting rid of programs as well though, as much as I wish they would.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

if you'd like to have a beer with me and talk about conference realignment... i'm all for it. i have this conversation with uri friends of mine on the regular.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I find it interesting that they haven't even received a verbal (exit) from the two teams yet.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

The seperation of the Big East and C7 still needs to signed off on. The C7 wants more money than 10 to 15 million dollar lump sum which they were rumored to be offered. With the C7 leaving in July means UCONN will get around 24 million.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The official announcement is supposed to come Wednesday. After that, I would guess X and Butler will notify the A10 they are leaving.

Too bad. Would have been nice, if the top 7-8 teams in the A10 could have got together, made their own deal with TV, and stuck together. The money would have most likely been less than what Fox is offering them, but it would have created another strong league, without the bottom feeders.

Let the bottom of the A10 fend for themselves.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

why would PC have say if URI wanted in? and could URI go to big east?
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It would depend on what bylaws the new league adopts.

If they will require a unanimous vote to allow a new program in, then PC would probably not allow URI to join. If it's, say, two thirds majority, then URI might have a shot someday.

But if they go to 12 in a year or two, that window will have closed, probably forever. I don't see them expanding beyond that.

That's why UConn isn't joining the ACC any time soon. BC was the lone school to vote against them joining last year. One nay vote, can't join, that's their rules.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope McGlade's first call was to VCU: what do we need to do to keep you happy. Next call to George Mason.
I consider St. Louis and Dayton gone. Time to line up new schools.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Is Jim Baron in charge of the A-10 publicity?
Just silence, as if it were a top secret operation.
The C-7 were happy to play out their drama in the
media spotlight.
I'd like to read more than wry smiles are their response to being raided.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Is Jim Baron in charge of the A-10 publicity?
media spotlight.
Correct.
When someone give a "wry smile" as a response to a difficult situation like this, it's because they know something we don't or, they haven't got a clue and want to avoid the question. For the sake of the league, it better not be the latter.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maybe it was just gas?
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

adam914 wrote:Well this is reassuring at least...from that article.

“If there are going to be realignment impacts that would affect the league, then we have to be ready to make the next-best decision. That’s my job, to make sure that the A-10 stays as strong as possible. I feel like it’s been my daily work for the last 28 months, to be honest with you.”

Seems like George Mason is a no-brainer. I just don't see them ever getting rid of programs as well though, as much as I wish they would.
http://www.gwhatchet.com/2013/01/24/ner ... -shake-up/ 1/24/13
"The recent searches that resulted in the additions of VCU and Butler are a boon, Nero added, because other schools that could have garnered an invitation during that process remain attractive options for the league."
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I stand corrected....There are 3 reasons.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Is Jim Baron in charge of the A-10 publicity?
media spotlight.
I'm sure most of the drama being played out in the C7 ordeal was from the networks involved wanting to get the word out. Makes their soon to be product seem more attractive.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, we keep our light hidden under a barrel?
Makes no sense, since so much of what's going on in
all conferences is very public.
What's the old show biz saying, "As long as they spell the name right,
that's all that matters."
Our luck to be in a conference that uses the CIA as their role model.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Actually, I'm somewhat encouraged by the GW Hatchet story:

“I do think that you will see a pretty quick reaction on behalf of the Atlantic 10 to say, 'we’re ready,' because we’ve been very proactive in our planning,” Nero said. “There’s always a chance we could add somebody prior to the Catholic 7 making their announcement. That’s always a possibility. It just depends on their timing.”

Just because it's not being publicly discussed does not mean nothing is happening behind the scenes.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I have no issue with them being quiet in tis case...we are losing our top programs and unless the next few additions are home runs (which I am not even sure is possible) then no need to go all over the place bragging about replacing butler and x with gmu and cle and state (my short list - in the long run these are good programs that keep our league strong but do not cover up the sting of losing butler and x).
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

From a strategy stand point I don't have a problem with the lack of info...but as a fan, I wish they would throw us a bone. As I pointed out before, the MVC may be a competitor right now for new teams, so that may explain the silent treatment.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think all these teams could possibly be in the mix.

Cleveland State
Detroit
Siena
Northeastern
Boston University
Fairfield
Delaware
George Mason
Charleston

Several factors would need to be weighed:

Recent on court men's hoops success
Attendance
Facilities
Basketball Budget
Market (hopefully new)
Geographic relationship to other members (with emphahsis on who remains in A-10)
School Type - Public/Private/Religious (maintain a healthy mix)
0 x
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

I hate all of those teams. I hate Charleston and GMU the least but why add any teams if it is going to lower the conference even more. Why not cut the fat and focus on schools who care about bball and may go someplace.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm with Rhody O on most of that list.
Detroit, Cleveland State, and George Mason to me are logical.
Detroit and CSU, if you want to keep a Midwest presence to keep St.Louis and Dayton.
Mason, great facility and solid program.
BU? No way. Facilities? They play in a glorified high school gym.
Northestern? Why? It's Boston and nobody cares about college basketball.
Fairfield? No tradition, not much going on. Market for them?
What do any of BU, NE, Fairfied, bring, besides another school?
I'd rather not see anyone added if those are the options.
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I'm with Rhody O on most of that list.
Detroit, Cleveland State, and George Mason to me are logical.
Detroit and CSU, if you want to keep a Midwest presence to keep St.Louis and Dayton.
Mason, great facility and solid program.
BU? No way. Facilities? They play in a glorified high school gym.
Northestern? Why? It's Boston and nobody cares about college basketball.
Fairfield? No tradition, not much going on. Market for them?
What do any of BU, NE, Fairfied, bring, besides another school?
I'd rather not see anyone added if those are the options.

Totally agree with RhodyD and Rod. Geez....think about the SOS the league is losing......Temple, Butler, Xavier, St Louis, Dayton and potentially Mass. I know it sounds negative, but there are ZERO combinations of any of the teams mentioned that lead to anything but a downgraded league. And good lord -- if we're talking the likes of Northeastern, BU and Fairfield, then I'm of the opinion that URI look for a new league period. Who says we have to stay?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

May as well look elsewhere.
This almost Yankee Conference redux, is sad,
added to Fordham and Duquesne.
Why bother adding anyone if you're going to
add these non factor schools?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RF1, I agree on the key factors you mentioned, but I think you have to look at new additions in a best effort to replace the most attractive apects of the departing schools - the A-10 loses 2 or 4 of their biggest fan base schools. This plus the loss of two state schools - Temple and Charlotte has a big impact on the A-10 ranking as the 9th best conference on attendance drawing over 1.2 million fans.

I don't think the A-10 has the luxury of hooking up with schools that have potential - schools like Fairfield, Stony Brook. The situation calls for strong BB schools in facilities and fan base today - Cleveland State and George Mason, Siena work, maybe Delaware, but I don't see the fit with NE, a school in the top of the CAA, and not drawing well. And ditto for BU, last year their average attendance was below 1000. C of C and Detroit are two others. Another is James Madison.

You don't replace Xavier and Butler who drew 160,000 and 125,000 fans respectively with schools like BU, 11,000 fans and NE with 16,000. Fordham drew more that these two combined! You don't do that if you have aspirations on getting a good TV deal.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I can't imagine the A10 would seriously about the Boston schools or Fairfield. Bryant has shown more commitment than those schools. (No, I'm not advocating Bryant either.)
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Can't papa Hurley pull some strings.. Ugh.. This has me sick to my stomach !
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think St. Anthony's High School would be too tough for the A-10.
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Obadiah wrote:RF1, I agree on the key factors you mentioned, but I think you have to look at new additions in a best effort to replace the most attractive apects of the departing schools - the A-10 loses 2 or 4 of their biggest fan base schools. This plus the loss of two state schools - Temple and Charlotte has a big impact on the A-10 ranking as the 9th best conference on attendance drawing over 1.2 million fans.

I don't think the A-10 has the luxury of hooking up with schools that have potential - schools like Fairfield, Stony Brook. The situation calls for strong BB schools in facilities and fan base today - Cleveland State and George Mason, Siena work, maybe Delaware, but I don't see the fit with NE, a school in the top of the CAA, and not drawing well. And ditto for BU, last year their average attendance was below 1000. C of C and Detroit are two others. Another is James Madison.

You don't replace Xavier and Butler who drew 160,000 and 125,000 fans respectively with schools like BU, 11,000 fans and NE with 16,000. Fordham drew more that these two combined! You don't do that if you have aspirations on getting a good TV deal.
I doubt Fox or anyone else cares about actual attendance as much as they care about market. If anyone cared about greater Albany/upstate NY as a market then Siena and Niagara would be kingmakers. And Delaware? Please.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i've seen mentioned going after some MVC teams (Bradley, Wichita St, etc)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It would be great if we could do the same thing the C7 is doing to us, to the MVC, and take those 2.
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

RIFan wrote:It would be great if we could do the same thing the C7 is doing to us, to the MVC, and take those 2.

Wichita Stae and Mason would both be credible programs from a consistency of SOS/RPI strength point of view.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I say try and keep everybody, meaning Butler, X, Dayton, StLouis, break off with 7-8 teams like the C7 [URI included of course], get a much better TV deal in the process, and drop the bottom feeders. Then add a couple of good programs to get to 10 teams.

Won't happen , but the best option.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

rambone 78 wrote:I say try and keep everybody, meaning Butler, X, Dayton, StLouis, break off with 7-8 teams like the C7 [URI included of course], get a much better TV deal in the process, and drop the bottom feeders. Then add a couple of good programs to get to 10 teams.

Won't happen , but the best option.
Look, from the inside looking out, this program is on the rise. There isn't any doubt in my mind about that, but... From the outside looking in, are you sure the Rams would be included in a new conference that drops the bottom teams? The last few years have not been kind in both record and attendance.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rambone65, How can you dismiss attendance and say it is different than market. They correlate. Schools with large followings generate interest in market and that it why smallish Siena is attractive versus say big BU despite the fact that Albany is a small market and Boston is much larger. Fox cares about the numbers tuning in because that drives advertising, Siena is not a kingmaker because it is a weaker conference with game match-ups that don't draw national attention. Put that school in a better conference and things would be different. If you doubt that, then just look at Gonzaga in WCC and Spokane. And Spokane is a much smaller market than Albany which you dismissed as irrelevant.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Once we start winning, our average attendance is going to go from high 3's to 6,000 or better. If the Ryan capacity is increased to say 9,000, then maybe even higher.

Right now at least half the remaining teams in the A10 barely average 3,000. That's not going to help the leagues's chances of getting a better TV deal.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I don't Siena would be that bad. Shockers would be a great add.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Obadiah wrote:Rambone65, How can you dismiss attendance and say it is different than market. They correlate. Schools with large followings generate interest in market and that it why smallish Siena is attractive versus say big BU despite the fact that Albany is a small market and Boston is much larger. Fox cares about the numbers tuning in because that drives advertising.
If that was true, the C7 would have never happened. As has been pointed out repeatedly, most of those programs are in big markets but don't have large followings in those markets. Why are they lukewarm about adding Dayton and Creighton, two programs with huge followings?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

URI has been down for TWO years.
You make it seem as if we're Fordham.
We're not, nor will we be starting next year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I could live with Northeastern
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

BFC wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Rambone65, How can you dismiss attendance and say it is different than market. They correlate. Schools with large followings generate interest in market and that it why smallish Siena is attractive versus say big BU despite the fact that Albany is a small market and Boston is much larger. Fox cares about the numbers tuning in because that drives advertising.
If that was true, the C7 would have never happened. As has been pointed out repeatedly, most of those programs are in big markets but don't have large followings in those markets. Why are they lukewarm about adding Dayton and Creighton, two programs with huge followings?
Spot on BFC. Obadiah is obsessed with asses in seats. It's not as important as market, or a program that is steeped in tradition and winning. If Siena is so wildly followed, why do they consistently suck? Using Obi's logic, they should be dominating their "weak conference." I'd take Niagara over Siena nydy based on consistent winning.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Absolutely NOT Northeastern. Really?! A10 is not that desperate.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund