'17 JUCO PF - Shakur Juiston (UNLV)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: '17 JUCO PF - Shakur Juiston (Offer)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Let's hope he doesn't commit to them before he at least gives us a visit.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think this is the guy we need. Slot right into the 4. Langevine, EC, Terrell, Dowtin/Garett and Shakur. That might be the staring 5.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote:I think this is the guy we need. Slot right into the 4. Langevine, EC, Terrell, Dowtin/Garett and Shakur. That might be the staring 5.
I agree, and I think most people - including the staff - are with you. Only problem is it takes two to tango. The interest has to be reciprocated.

Our staff has been pretty stealthy in its recruitment efforts in recent cycles, but I wish there was more tying us to him. The ISU guy putting us in the discussion is really the only thing I've seen to indicate we are still actively recruiting him. I hope he's right.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm going to assume the ISU writer isn't making this up. Why would he do that? He likely heard from someone tied to ISU that URI is still in the conversation, and that Kansas and DePaul aren't.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Here's the Iowa State guy who tweeted it.
https://twitter.com/ChrisMWilliams
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

But why would an ISU guy put him with us and we have no inside information on this? Seems credible.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Without a visit, there's really nothing to know or announce.......we can guess that we are still interested and have likely talked to him, but that's it for now.

When the Iowa St. coach is in NJ talking to his family, then you know they are after him, hard. Sometimes the recruit wants to go somewhere, but the family has to be on board too....

Maybe his family wants him to come here, close to home? That's a thought.....
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:But why would an ISU guy put him with us and we have no inside information on this? Seems credible.
??
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
theblueram wrote:But why would an ISU guy put him with us and we have no inside information on this? Seems credible.
??
Just referring to the possible visit.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote:I'm going to assume the ISU writer isn't making this up. Why would he do that? He likely heard from someone tied to ISU that URI is still in the conversation, and that Kansas and DePaul aren't.
I'm not saying he's making it up, and I acknowledged that we could be flying under the radar, but I'm also not putting all my money on him coming to URI based on our only knowledge of our involving being one sentence from an ISU blogger (well informed as he may be). Not ruling it out, either. I'd just be more confident if there was a bit more smoke. That's all I'm saying. I don't think that's too controversial.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow I am encouraged by this. We should go after him hard . If he visits don't let him leave without a commitment

He would have 2 years of eligibility??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes, 2 years of eligibility. Good write on Juiston.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... 100430352/
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The entire staff should be on this, not just Carr.......maybe they are, we just don't know.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Just as it was for Iverson this is the best destination for a big looking for a home!

Even more so actually.

None of you see that?

Really ?

You can't draw it up any more perfectly.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote:I liked the post about how many televised games we had last year. I think I counted 24 games (not including NCAAT) on either ESPN, ESPN3, CBSSN, NBCSN, CBS or ASN. That's not to shabby.
Yeah, I was going to sign up to post there with that information, but decided it wasn't worth it. I love how those middling Big 10 or Big 12 schools that think they are so much better. I don't recall ISU doing much ever. A remember them one year being a heralded #2 seed that was bounced by a 15 several years back.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think if we were out on Juiston we would have landed a commitment this past weekend. That we didn't makes me think we have to be in the conversation.

Looking at next year Iowa State is taking a step back. They should still be a tournament team but they won't be a lock. Juiston could make us a top 25 team. Hopefully he wants to come here, dominate the A10, and make a nice run in the NCAA tournament.
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, Juiston could make a difference for them just as he could for us.

It's tough waiting to see if we get a visit....but that's the way it is this time of year. It's also tough having the patience to wait these things out.

I don't think we have any other visits scheduled either right now......so let's hope this is the guy.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Well, Juiston could make a difference for them just as he could for us.

It's tough waiting to see if we get a visit....but that's the way it is this time of year. It's also tough having the patience to wait these things out.

I don't think we have any other visits scheduled either right now......so let's hope this is the guy.
Now if we never get a visit the question will always be what if Dan visited that day.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Well, Juiston could make a difference for them just as he could for us.

Now if we never get a visit the question will always be what if Dan visited that day.
To the NCAAJC Championship Game? DH made the decision to go to Russell's Game that same night. Cox has been the lead recruiter all along for Juiston so he was at Juiston's game. Russell has the potential to be something very special at URI. DH obviously can't be at two places at one, but IF Hurley made the decision to go to Juiston's game and then Russell were to ever reopen his recruiting (as kids do) then he would be 2nd guessed forever for the decision not to go to Russell's game, no?

The filling of this last roster spot reminds me of the old Bill Veeck line:

"Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make” is a popular sports adage that originated in baseball, but has been used by other sports as well. “Of Keltner, Veeck remarks that ‘sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make’” was cited in print in October 1948. Cleveland Indians owner Bill Veeck (1914-1986) creating the saying, and his Cleveland Indians won the 1948 World Series based on Veeck’s non-trades.

We have one scholarship open.
Some here wanted to sign Toppin or Lane almost immediately after their names were connected with URI via twitter. Both guys came to URI last weekend. The Coaches see then play, the URI players see them play along with them. There is plenty of opportunity to see their capabilities and their potential to mesh with the current group of players. They could have been told no, or could have been told we(URI) simply have not decided yet.
The players could have said no or simply they haven't decided yet.
URI may have been impressed with 1 or both but not so much as they wanted to close the door to Juiston or any other players they may be looking at out there.

Once the Scholarship is filled, then we are out of the 2017 market, unless someone leaves which is unlikely at this point in time.

So maybe the best thing is that we keep the Scholarship open. Take the Bill Veeck approach in a way.........it's not a trade, but a similar philosophy, hold tight, don't "panic fill" the last scholarship and keep your options open in the marketplace for bigger and better.

The worst case scenario is not bad. We have outstanding guards and guard depth. Potential starters in Langevine and Akele. Berry with experience. Layssard and Tertsea as Sophomores eager for playing time, known by the URI Players and Staff, mostly unknown to URI fans.

The summer will be an important time.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:

To the NCAAJC Championship Game? DH made the decision to go to Russell's Game that same night. Cox has been the lead recruiter all along for Juiston so he was at Juiston's game. Russell has the potential to be something very special at URI. DH obviously can't be at two places at one, but IF Hurley made the decision to go to Juiston's game and then Russell were to ever reopen his recruiting (as kids do) then he would be 2nd guessed forever for the decision not to go to Russell's game, no?

The filling of this last roster spot reminds me of the old Bill Veeck line:

"Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make” is a popular sports adage that originated in baseball, but has been used by other sports as well. “Of Keltner, Veeck remarks that ‘sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make’” was cited in print in October 1948. Cleveland Indians owner Bill Veeck (1914-1986) creating the saying, and his Cleveland Indians won the 1948 World Series based on Veeck’s non-trades.

We have one scholarship open.
Some here wanted to sign Toppin or Lane almost immediately after their names were connected with URI via twitter. Both guys came to URI last weekend. The Coaches see then play, the URI players see them play along with them. There is plenty of opportunity to see their capabilities and their potential to mesh with the current group of players. They could have been told no, or could have been told we(URI) simply have not decided yet.
The players could have said no or simply they haven't decided yet.
URI may have been impressed with 1 or both but not so much as they wanted to close the door to Juiston or any other players they may be looking at out there.

Once the Scholarship is filled, then we are out of the 2017 market, unless someone leaves which is unlikely at this point in time.

So maybe the best thing is that we keep the Scholarship open. Take the Bill Veeck approach in a way.........it's not a trade, but a similar philosophy, hold tight, don't "panic fill" the last scholarship and keep your options open in the marketplace for bigger and better.

The worst case scenario is not bad. We have outstanding guards and guard depth. Potential starters in Langevine and Akele. Berry with experience. Layssard and Tertsea as Sophomores eager for playing time, known by the URI Players and Staff, mostly unknown to URI fans.

The summer will be an important time.
That was meant to be sarcastic.. I was joking around with my comment. I'm happy Dan went to see Daron's game.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why Shakur Juiston could come to URI:
- Northern NJ connection to Dan Hurley
- Easy, simple 3 hour ride home on Amtrak from URI
- Success of URI in 2017 and a positive outlook for 2017-2018 - favorites to win the A10. A program on the rise.
- Kuran Iverson and Hassan Martin departing after successful careers and both showed solid improvement in their games
- ARD available to teach him fundamentals and help him improve his game offensively and defensively
- Preseason NIT at Barclays - chance to play in front of family and friends, also games at Fordham
- Wide open opportunity for Playing time and potential starting position for Big Men at URI with 2 Seniors graduating
- High potential Point Guard in Daron Russell coming in
- Mature, experienced, loyal, supportive teammates
- Strong academic support structure in place for Basketball players. Players graduating, performing their work, staying out of trouble - always!
- Outstanding Arena in the Ryan Center
- Beautiful Campus located in a beautiful part of the State
- Strong possibility to reach the NCAA Tournament again - of particular interest to a guy like Juiston with only 2 years left to play in College
- Summer at URI
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Toppin and Lane both have other visits scheduled so no one should have been expecting commitments right after their visits to URI. The URI staff is not in a hurry. They have ONE scholarship open and will fill it with the best player they can.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"Cox has been the lead recruiter all along for Juiston so he was at Juiston's game. "
Weren't we told Carr was the main recruiter for Juiston and supposedly knew him
from NJ?
We seem to be making up scenarios out of thin air, lately.
Bottom line, NO VISIT, NO PLAYER.
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, all indications are Carr is the lead recruiter on this
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All indications are....is that none of us know much about what is going on.....that much looks true.....opinions are coming from all directions with how much basis in fact?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:"Cox has been the lead recruiter all along for Juiston so he was at Juiston's game. "
Weren't we told Carr was the main recruiter for Juiston and supposedly knew him
from NJ?
We seem to be making up scenarios out of thin air, lately.
Bottom line, NO VISIT, NO PLAYER.
Rod,
That was my bad. I knew it was Carr, meant to say Carr but keyed Cox for some brain cramp reason. :oops: :oops:
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we're holding out for Juiston and thereby holding off on others, that's a risky game....but I do agree with those who say try and get the BEST possible player to fill that last hole.....if that means waiting then so be it.....how much longer will they wait?

If we're getting a visit from this guy, I would think something happens soon. It's clear at least from what we've seen so far, that Juiston is the top target. But still, like Rod just said: no visit no player.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think if we can only sign one then I would wait until Jouistin decides. This is the kid we need to get us in the top 25 for next year with a chance to make a deep run in March

If we lose Toppin because of timing with the Jouistin decision then so be it
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Juiston is worth the risk even if it's a 5% chance, or less imho.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Maybe this is why he's not going to ISU?

1 x
GO RAMS
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Maybe this is why he's not going to ISU?

Wait, I may have missed it, where does it say Shakur is ruling out ISU? Mariel Shayok is not a power forward and would not have an effect of Juiston, as long as ISU has scholarships available. I thought it said ISU was actually having in in home visit yesterday or this week. I hope he visits and considers us at least that much. But I haven't seen anything mentioned that any type of visit is set up yet. And like Rod says, no visit, no recruit.
1 x
CloneFan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by CloneFan »

Cyclone fan here... Grabbing Shayok is part of Coach Prohm's plan. Iowa State had 4 open scholarships and grabbed Shayok so they have 3 to work with. Juiston is considered Iowa State's highest priority by all accounts. However, as this thread mentions, an Iowa State reporter (Chris Williams) tweeted that URI is now "a player." Chris is one of the most dependable and reliable ISU sources there are just to give you a little verification on that. I'm a subscriber to the 247 Iowa State boards and am on Chris Williams website CycloneFanatic daily as well. What seems like most Iowa State fans would probably agree or have rationalized that URI is probably the biggest threat with what they have to offer. Losing two forwards that were big time contributors, a legit top 25 team and close to home. We ISU fans still feel good about it but URI makes things interesting for sure. Just stopped by to see how URI fans felt. Good luck to you guys. If doesn't end up at ISU, I'd much rather it be URI than UNLV or damn Kansas (who is out).
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Shayok is a SG. He's from Jersey too. Iowa St. still has scholarships available.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

giovanni wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Maybe this is why he's not going to ISU?

Wait, I may have missed it, where does it say Shakur is ruling out ISU? Mariel Shayok is not a power forward and would not have an effect of Juiston, as long as ISU has scholarships available. I thought it said ISU was actually having in in home visit yesterday or this week. I hope he visits and considers us at least that much. But I haven't seen anything mentioned that any type of visit is set up yet. And like Rod says, no visit, no recruit.
95% of everything said in these recruiting threads is speculation.So I'm not sure how many scholarships ISU has ,but this move could effect Juistons decision one way or another.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he knows Shayok, that could be something that attracts him to Iowa St........again just speculation......but if we're going to get a visit, something has to happen and soon.
0 x
CloneFan
Jim Eitner

Cyclone fan here... Grabbing Shayok is part of Coach Prohm's plan. Iowa State had 4 open scholarships and grabbed Shayok so they have 3 to work with. Juiston is considered Iowa State's highest priority by all accounts. However, as this thread mentions, an Iowa State reporter (Chris Williams) tweeted that URI is now "a player." Chris is one of the most dependable and reliable ISU sources there are just to give you a little verification on that. I'm a subscriber to the 247 Iowa State boards and am on Chris Williams website CycloneFanatic daily as well. What seems like most Iowa State fans would probably agree or have rationalized that URI is probably the biggest threat with what they have to offer. Losing two forwards that were big time contributors, a legit top 25 team and close to home. We ISU fans still feel good about it but URI makes things interesting for sure. Just stopped by to see how URI fans felt. Good luck to you guys. If doesn't end up at ISU, I'd much rather it be URI than UNLV or damn Kansas (who is out).
7 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thanks for your perspective clonefan.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good info clonefan, but still, no visit announced yet. If we get one, then I think we have a good chance....that would tell me that Juiston isn't sold yet on Iowa St.
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Thanks for stopping by Clonefan!

I always enjoy watching your school in the tourney seemingly every year! Always seem to have an interesting team to look at when making my picks. What happened to that guy who got drafted by the rockets but had anxiety issues? I recall thinking he seemed like a possible Lamar Odom but seems to have washed out of the NBA super fast.

Anyways on Shakur I agree with others It does seem like URI has a chance BUT until we hear about a visit or some other significant news It's really hard to say. Truth is the team may well have set up a visit weeks ago and the press just has no clue, OTOH we could be out and no visit is coming, but based on the ISU source that seems unlikely as it seems that guy has info from someone involved.
0 x
CloneFan
Jim Eitner

EGram wrote:Thanks for stopping by Clonefan!

I always enjoy watching your school in the tourney seemingly every year! Always seem to have an interesting team to look at when making my picks. What happened to that guy who got drafted by the rockets but had anxiety issues? I recall thinking he seemed like a possible Lamar Odom but seems to have washed out of the NBA super fast.

Anyways on Shakur I agree with others It does seem like URI has a chance BUT until we hear about a visit or some other significant news It's really hard to say. Truth is the team may well have set up a visit weeks ago and the press just has no clue, OTOH we could be out and no visit is coming, but based on the ISU source that seems unlikely as it seems that guy has info from someone involved.
Sorry for double posting that, wasn't my intention there. Also, in regards to the Royce White (the Rockets player you're referring to) he simply is afraid to fly and that's what leads to the anxiety issue.

In regards to Juiston, we haven't heard anything and the lead reporter for the ISU 247 page said he has reached out to see how Juiston's DePaul visit has gone but "the camp has gone quiet." So other than URI "being a player" we haven't heard anything else since that piece of info.
Last edited by CloneFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Thanks, CloneFan. Keep us posted if you hear any news.
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

If you want to keep up with the latest Iowa State recruiting info follow @AlexHalsted on twitter
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

With clonefans news you'd have to think we'll be getting a visit from him.

Things were lookin bleak to me a week ago.

He's the guy we neeeeed
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm not raising my hopes until he schedules a visit.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Agree 74, but this would make some class with Russell and Juiston. Hope we get a visit.
0 x
bostonwhaler
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by bostonwhaler »

ramster wrote:Why Shakur Juiston could come to URI:
- Northern NJ connection to Dan Hurley
- Easy, simple 3 hour ride home on Amtrak from URI
- Success of URI in 2017 and a positive outlook for 2017-2018 - favorites to win the A10. A program on the rise.
- Kuran Iverson and Hassan Martin departing after successful careers and both showed solid improvement in their games
- ARD available to teach him fundamentals and help him improve his game offensively and defensively
- Preseason NIT at Barclays - chance to play in front of family and friends, also games at Fordham
- Wide open opportunity for Playing time and potential starting position for Big Men at URI with 2 Seniors graduating
- High potential Point Guard in Daron Russell coming in
- Mature, experienced, loyal, supportive teammates
- Strong academic support structure in place for Basketball players. Players graduating, performing their work, staying out of trouble - always!
- Outstanding Arena in the Ryan Center
- Beautiful Campus located in a beautiful part of the State
- Strong possibility to reach the NCAA Tournament again - of particular interest to a guy like Juiston with only 2 years left to play in College
- Summer at URI
Good list. To play the devils advocate.... he had 2 years of eligibility and once EC and JT graduate, the team will be very different. This could be a top 25 team next year, but the following year is a bigger question mark.

On a side note, i hope we are not pre-season top 25 again.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How different will it be 2 years from now? Langevine will be a junior, Dowtin will be a junior, Thompson and Akele will be seniors, Russell will be a sophmore and Juiston will be a senior. Who knows about Layssard and Tertsea. Plus, we should have a big class coming in next year.
0 x
bostonwhaler
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by bostonwhaler »

theblueram wrote:How different will it be 2 years from now? Langevine will be a junior, Dowtin will be a junior, Thompson and Akele will be seniors, Russell will be a sophmore and Juiston will be a senior. Who knows about Layssard and Tertsea. Plus, we should have a big class coming in next year.
None of those players project to be as good as Hassan, EC, or JT, and Juiston is likely to not know most of these names. All are talented and have potential but would be classified as "unproven" to an outsider.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bostonwhaler wrote:
theblueram wrote:How different will it be 2 years from now? Langevine will be a junior, Dowtin will be a junior, Thompson and Akele will be seniors, Russell will be a sophmore and Juiston will be a senior. Who knows about Layssard and Tertsea. Plus, we should have a big class coming in next year.
None of those players project to be as good as Hassan, EC, or JT, and Juiston is likely to not know most of these names. All are talented and have potential but would be classified as "unproven" to an outsider.
Two of those players started on an NCAAT team. As freshmen.
Last edited by theblueram 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x