The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Coaching Carousel 2017

Unread post by eli#10 »

My guess is that Thorr is waiting for another commitment from the URI Foundation to help in funding some of the additional costs that will be incurred by the various enhancements to the program. I am pretty sure the Foundation stepped up to the plate to help last year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
ramster wrote:
Giovanni,
Today, who would be your top 5 candidates, in order of priority, for the Georgetown Position if you were the AD?
You seem to like to propose this question to people, as if you have the answer.
What's yours?
1. Shaka Smart
2. Ed Cooley
3. Dan Hurley
4. Tommy Amaker
5. Tom Crean

I would not select Patrick Ewing but that is who I believe they will select

TP,
I am glad to know that the decision got made and we never needed to ever find out what might happen with Dan Hurley. The door is closed. We will never know for sure if Hurley would have gone or stayed.

I thought Patrick Ewing would be the selection and stated it 7 days ago when discussion was about the Top Candidates. Patrick Ewing was not in my Top 5 then and truthfully would not be in my Top 10.

This was not how a Coaching Search should go:
- Taking over 2 weeks was much too long. Companies have Succession plans in place and so should Universities and most do - that's why they fill their spot quickly
- The announcement that Paul Tagliabue and Georgetown Athletic Director Lee Reed would lead the search was strange. We heard little, if anything, from the two of them throughout the 2+ weeks
- The Announcement that Korn Ferry had been selected to Search was strange, especially coming so late, heard little or nothing from them
- After Tagliabue, Reed then Korn Ferry.....Georgetown picked one of their own anyway. They could have done that on Day 1

I thought Ewing would get the job all along because John Thompson recruited Patrick Ewing back when he played High School at Cambridge Rindge and Latin. John Thompson is a powerful man at Georgetown and this decision serves to indicate that he still is. Clearly he did not want his son to lose the HC job (what father would). Thompson stood his ground and still has his own guy in the HC position now. There were winners and losers in this and Thompson came out the winner.

Ewing may hire some great assistants, he may be successful in recruiting, he may prove to be a good X's and O's Head Coach, he may put Georgetown back in the Sweet 16 or higher. Only time will tell. But he would not have been my choice to bring back Georgetown.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing to consider with Ewing regarding recruiting. Patrick played for Leo Papile and BABC. He's got that connection. Yes, that's how long Papile has been around. I wouldn't be surprised to see some BABC talent head to G'town in the near future.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

hrstrat57 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: It also could scare them away since his name seems to be out there every year. They have to figure that eventually he's going to take one of those jobs. I'll bet that's what coaches of other teams who are recruiting against us tell the recruits.
Completely agree / I expect Dan will address it soon
I agree as well, it is a double edged sword.
1 x
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

This has been a very good day! Rather then have to think about rebuild and transfers, we can continue with reload and repeat! Hopefully the Hurleys are liking Rhode Island as much as we are a liking them. As the boys get more into high school I can see the family wanting to stay put for a few more seasons.

Maybe with some more NCAA's the money will come where Dan can coach here until the big big payday. If I were him I would not leave for any school other then one in the FBS... that could assure him all the $$$$ and support he would ever need for his next stop.

In the meantime if we want to follow his lead and become the Gonzaga of the East we need to fill our gym! I just put the deposit down on next years tickets today!

How high can we get our names on this list next year? Can we hit the top 10 largest one year increase?

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/ ... _final.pdf
2 x
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

The Hurley's oldest is going to Seton Hall
next fall.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Darn I wish he chose URI more reasons for DH to stay another 4 years
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also if the Seton Hall job comes open in the next couple of years that definitely has to concern us
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Did anyone see the Jay Williams video I saw posted on Social Media in which he talks about how Hurley would have been a better hire?

Last edited by Bos8 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just glad GT didn't have DH listed as their top choice from the beginning , things could have been quite different if they targeted him from day 1
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This strikes me as a very long list to not include Coach Cox:

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/4/3/1516 ... candidates
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's OK....we need to keep him. For whatever a list like that is worth......

Btw....what's holding up the extension agreement? I know there's really no urgency though.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

TruePoint wrote:This strikes me as a very long list to not include Coach Cox:

Looking through that list, I'd be very wary of hiring more current NBA guys if I was part of the Georgetown admin. I'd be looking to hire current collegiate assistants with local recruiting ties to the DMV. They should be focused on targeting recruits in the DMV and NY/NJ metro area, and would need to hire guys with connections with the programs in these areas. Hiring more current NBA guys would likely be a recipe for disaster.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Maybe it's because he was previously on JT III's staff?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What were the circumstances in Cox leaving G'town?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Maybe it's because he was previously on JT III's staff?
Yeah, I have to admit to not having any understanding of the internal politics at Georgetown and how Coach Cox fits in with that. He did leave JT3's staff to go to Rutgers and I'm not sure what precipitated that, I don't know who else but JT2 is left at Georgetown from when Cox was there, I don't know if Ewing has ever met Cox, etc.

But just on the surface, being an associate head coach at a program that was successful enough that its head coach was under consideration for the head job and being from that area and recruiting it pretty well, I'd have thought his name would come up. Not saying that I'd be shocked if he didn't ultimately end up on the staff, but I have to think he will be one of the resumes looked at, whereas some guys on that list I'm not sure about.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Works for me!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Completely agree. Hopefully Georgetown can manage to rebuild their entire staff without touching ours.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Oh, the irony...
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Not sure of Creighton coaching structure, but could this move Preston to top assistant or associate HC?
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

giovanni wrote:

Not sure of Creighton coaching structure, but could this move Preston to top assistant or associate HC?
Any relation to former Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just saw Lorenzo Romar is joining Sean Miller staff at Zona

Pretty good top assistant I must say
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steviep123 wrote:
giovanni wrote:

Any relation to former Charlotte coach Bobby Lutz?
Chris Lutz was a former player at Purdue. Without doing any research, I'm going to guess that Chris and Steve Lutz are related somehow. (I'm not betting my house on it but I'd wager a few pennies a least.)
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Shocked the great Pat Skerry's name hasn't been in the carousel in a few years.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote:Shocked the great Pat Skerry's name hasn't been in the carousel in a few years.
Did Umass look at him? Skerry is in an interesting spot. Has things going well at Towson, nice arena that fits close to 6,000 people and in a decent conference. Because of this, I can't see him reaching for a job that would set him up to fail. (IE- a school like Duquense that he could struggle to win at). With that said, he hasn't been dominate in the CAA and hasn't lead them to the NCAA tournament. Because of this, I can't see schools that have a track record of success reaching for him. (IE- a school like VCU were he could go right away and win at).
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think he will need to take them to the big dance to get him a step up in conference
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote:I think he will need to take them to the big dance to get him a step up in conference
I agree. In 6 Years at Towson, Skerry has not won the CAA Tournament, nor even been to the Championship Game. VCU, George Mason and Old Dominion have all departed the CAA making winning the CAA easier than pre-Skerry. One would think the natives are getting restless????
Skerry for 6 Years at Towson.png
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote:
reef wrote:I think he will need to take them to the big dance to get him a step up in conference
I agree. In 6 Years at Towson, Skerry has not won the CAA Tournament, nor even been to the Championship Game. VCU, George Mason and Old Dominion have all departed the CAA making winning the CAA easier than pre-Skerry. One would think the natives are getting restless????

Getting restless? They have been to the NCAA tournament twice in the programs history. The program is certainly trending up. He has helped orchestrated numerous program upgrades. He took a program that won 1 game his first season there, and has won 20 games in 3 of the past 4 years. If he wants to take the next step in his career, he certainly needs to lead Towson to take that next step, no question.
Another interesting notes- He's also had some great assistants in the program- Bruce Shingler, Luke Murray and Kenny Johnson.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

And Kevin Clark has been his righthand man from the beginning. Good guy.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote:
Dan liked the LIU tweet announcing the Kellogg hire. Either he likes Kellogg and is glad to see him land on his feet or he's doing a tremendous job of throwing some subtle shade at him on social media
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Kellogg is such an uninspired hire.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We should schedule them so Rhody Jay can crack out the gel poster again
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Kellogg has found his level. Just like you-know-who did when he left here.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Skerry comes from the CFL coaching tree let's see how far that gets him ??

Interesting the Kellogg hire at LIU . I guess if he succeeds there he may get back to an A10 level conference
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Getting restless? They have been to the NCAA tournament twice in the programs history. The program is certainly trending up. He has helped orchestrated numerous program upgrades. He took a program that won 1 game his first season there, and has won 20 games in 3 of the past 4 years. If he wants to take the next step in his career, he certainly needs to lead Towson to take that next step, no question.
Another interesting notes- He's also had some great assistants in the program- Bruce Shingler, Luke Murray and Kenny Johnson.
Maybe I should not have assumed fans would be "getting restless", too extreme on my part

Year 1: (1-17) 12th
Year 2: (13-5) 2nd
Year 3: (13-3) 2nd - CIT Quarterfinals
Year 4: (5-13) 9th
Year 5: (11-7) 3rd Tie - Vegas Quarterfinals
Year 6: (11-7) 3rd

No doubt that Skerry orchestrated a huge turnaround from his (1-17) first year to his (13-5) second year. However, even though finishing 2nd twice and 3rd twice in the League, he has not been able to reach the Championship of the CAA. His Years 2 and 3 have been his best years at Towson.
With no Old Dominion, VCU or George Mason I would have thought Skerry could have had Towson performing better than what he has the past 3 years.
There was talk that Skerry's name came up for the UMASS vacancy.
I really thought Skerry would move Towson to the Top of the CAA by now. He was a high potential guy after leaving Providence College as an assistant. Fans may not be "restless" at Towson but they would be beyond restless here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's a different level of expectations here versus the CAA.....there it's win the post season tourney or go home most years......the CAA is a one bid league most of the time, and going forward it could be all of the time.

Otherwise it's NIT or CIT or CBI or whatever.

As far as the A10, as long as they still have Dayton, VCU, and us, plus the occasional overachiever, it will remain at least a 2 or 3 bid league.....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good news about Kellogg being hired. That should take some financial "damages" pressure off UMass via the offset clause. (I am assuming there is an offset clause)
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Good news about Kellogg being hired. That should take some financial "damages" pressure off UMass via the offset clause. (I am assuming there is an offset clause)

There supposedly is an offset clause for two years. Many UMass fans are however speculating that much of Kellogg's compensation at LIU may be backloaded in the five year contract.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Here's a link to a MAC message board which shows D-1 men's basketball budgets...you might find this interesting information. (or you might not)
http://csnbbs.com/thread-813807-post-14 ... id14226101
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

These lists are always highly misleading. One might infer that we are right on par with Dayton. Haha!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:I fully support this turning into an AI thread.

But in case it doesn't, did VCU really hire Jimmy (son of Phil) Martelli as their DBO? Jimmy "Baby Rice" Martelli? I do believe in second chances. I would also not love this hire for my program.
This is finalized now, as is the rest of the staff.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/mbkb ... 0516i3rk0n

VCU really loads up that coach's roster- director of player development, director of student-athlete development, video coordinator, etc.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

From multiple reports, Ohio State is holding a press conference today with Thad Matta, where it's expected that he'll announce he's coaching one more year and then retiring. I was surprised to learn that he's only 49, but he's had some pretty significant health issues.

ETA- nope, he's out as of now. It's June 5th, and they're looking for a new coach, assistants are suddenly out of work, and summer recruiting is a minute away. Interesting situation.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yikes. As you said, he's had significant health issues, to the point where I believe schools were recruiting against those issues. Hopefully things haven't taken a significant turn for the worse, but if they haven't he's kind of left them in a lurch. And now some other school is going to get screwed because of it as well.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Yikes. As you said, he's had significant health issues, to the point where I believe schools were recruiting against those issues. Hopefully things haven't taken a significant turn for the worse, but if they haven't he's kind of left them in a lurch. And now some other school is going to get screwed because of it as well.
It's sounding like he was flat-out fired and that this wasn't his choice. He's had a lot of success there, but there have been recent complaints about recruiting and transfers. The timing is weird. Coaching is a tough business.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

who can it be now
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does Dan like Ohio?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dan is not going to Ohio State. I wonder if they could have gotten Archie Miller but waited too long to make a decision on Matta? I have no idea who they'll target but, unless they go the NBA route, someone good is losing a coach.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

That's what terrible recruiting will do.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."