'15 CT PF Steve Enoch (UCONN Verbal)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '15 CT PF Steve Enoch

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with the move if its a fait accompli he is a UConn commit. I just cannot see a CT kid who feels any love from UConn choosing URI or any other school over the national champion. Also, if you want to make Silva feel like he is your priority this may be a symbolic move.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

I agree. This next week and month of visits is going to be interesting. But we only have 2 scholarships left for 2015 right?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote:Agree with the move if its a fait accompli he is a UConn commit. I just cannot see a CT kid who feels any love from UConn choosing URI or any other school over the national champion. Also, if you want to make Silva feel like he is your priority this may be a symbolic move.
I thought the same thing about Silva. If he knows Enoch is visiting 3 days after he is, he has that to think about, even if Enoch was a pretty sure lock for UCONN. Now Silva is the #1 recruit we are going after at his position. That surely can't hurt and I'm sure Dan points that out to him.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ram Stampede!!! wrote:I agree. This next week and month of visits is going to be interesting. But we only have 2 scholarships left for 2015 right?
As of now, yes, but there are a few ways (with varying degrees of probability) that one more could open up.

The questions is- if the opportunity presents itself, would they accept commitments from 3 additional players before the number situation completely sorts itself out?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Ram Stampede!!! wrote:I agree. This next week and month of visits is going to be interesting. But we only have 2 scholarships left for 2015 right?
As of now, yes, but there are a few ways (with varying degrees of probability) that one more could open up.

The questions is- if the opportunity presents itself, would they accept commitments from 3 additional players before the number situation completely sorts itself out?
Would this relate to EC, or someone transferring?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I love EC as a player, but I don't see him leaving after his sophomore year. He still needs at least 2 more years, in my opinion.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

reading the tea leaves; it would seem the DH is going all in on Silva, knowing the Enoch was a long shot. Big week for Rhody in 2015.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:

Would this relate to EC, or someone transferring?
I think what ACE is referring to is the Mike Powell situation.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No, Powell's scholarship comes off regardless.

Jarelle is an excellent student, who is starting his fourth year in college as a junior.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

ace wrote:No, Powell's scholarship comes off regardless.

Jarelle is an excellent student, who is starting his fourth year in college as a junior.
Ok, I think I follow now. Are you including Butts in the 2015 equation too?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Think of Butts taking Powell's spot and then TJ and Gilvydas (no!!!) graduate- that's the three for sure.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ace, we're expecting big things from you on Keaney Blue for when Gilvydas graduates. I'm thinking something along the lines of Neil's annual Senior Day thread only targeted to the big Lithuanian!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Ace, we're expecting big things from you on Keaney Blue for when Gilvydas graduates. I'm thinking something along the lines of Neil's annual Senior Day thread only targeted to the big Lithuanian!
I will be inconsolable

:)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Biggie and Reischel would both fit the profile for potential transfers if they don't see a significant role for the future....if they had their academics in order could play immediately for their 4th year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Reischel could go overseas and make money after next year, too.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:Reischel could go overseas and make money after next year, too.
Yeah, or find a program where he can have a more prominent role, get some of those grad school credits, and set up himself up for a better opportunity to go home and play.

It seems like a long time ago that Jarelle picked URI over VCU.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

to the surprise of no one Enoch announces he's verballed to UConn
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Glad staff was wise enough to cancel his visit here.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: '15 CT PF Steve Enoch (UCONN Verbal)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Good for him. It's where he wanted to play. Sounds like he was open an honest with the staff about his situation. No one got their time wasted or feelings hurt.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hmm........He got his wish to go to UConn, but hardly played
significant minutes.
After seeing what happened to Laysard here, after the big hype,
Marfo at GW, Aflackpui at Temple, Jones at Xavier,and others who
hardly got off the bench, makes you wonder.
Chris Silva at SC, is a good player, but no world beater.
Were coaches who chased them poor evaluators of talent, or
was it the players themselves?
Other than the top 25 or so, how accurate are player ratings?
It brings me back to Bob Knight's quote,"Most of the guys who rate these players,
have never even seen them play!"
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Enoch blew up late. I'm always suspicious of those players. Looks like he would've been better off at a lower program.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Another guy would take a serious look at. Big kid. Change of venue, situation and culture can change things for a player. Rankings, I agree, after top 25 very difficult. Not to mention is you go to a p5 school or UConn type, a top 200 guy becomes a top 100 guy. A kid could be top 125-150, he goes to URI and goes below 200. Same kid goes to Syracuse becomes #75
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Well, I think part of what happens (usually with bigs) is that there is often an assumed level of strength development that needs to occur for them to reach their full potential. It's not as important for guards to be strong, since their position is based more on speed and vision, but for a lot of these kids, they may be 6'11, they may be able to block shots or dunk, but what can they do with their body? Are the easily pushed around? Are they strong enough at this level to move people, since in HS they are bigger and stronger than most people they play? We often don't know, until they start matching up with guys who are as big as them, or stronger than them.

Go watch the highlight tapes on Enoch from HS... That's all you see ... You see an athletic kid without much of a shot who can run the floor, dunk, hit some layups, and block some shots. But he's simply so physically dominate to anyone else in those videos. Hopefully with continued development in a transfer year he could become the dominate player the rankings saw him as 2 years ago.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

that's very true. But kids are recruited often on physical ability, and when you have size its something greater. Coach always believes be can develop guy and should believe that. Kids also overshoot their expectations with their abilities and choice of schools. At times its almost a crap shoot. Like Danny Ainge as said about drafting. Like a stock. May have its positives and negatives, but simply looking for a return, a year or 2 down the road. Having the opportunity of dealing with AAU and college coaches in the past, the best recruiters can not only recognize talent or potential talent, but character. I think Dan has done a great job of identifying good players, kids, citizens. Kids that will buy in and be disciplined and mature enough to do so. Transfers usually come with baggage, but the right kid, that wants to achieve comes with the fear of his last chance. That predicament can be powerful with certain kids.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hearing he's interested in URI and PC.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The success story of Iverson and impact of Robinson should help us appeal to players of this profile in the future. I don't know if this is a guy they will target or not, but if they want to get involved for guys like this then they now have a good narrative to sell with easily identifiable examples.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Hearing he's interested in URI and PC.

Yeah but are they interested in him ? Kid did nothing every time I saw him. Although have not been impressed with the way Ollie develops players so maybe a good pickup .Have heard PC is interested in Reiuter from Virginia but have not heard this kids name mentioned. I think when he came out of high School uri was more involved in his recruitment then PC so would not surprise me if he ends up there if they want him.
Last edited by woodennickel1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Didn't watch him this past year but when I saw him live the previous year he was not impressive at all. Nolan was a lot better.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'd much rather have Juiston, or somebody else that can play right away. Last year with EC, Jared, Jarvis and Stan. We need a big to play with them now, not 2 years from now when they're gone.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Hearing he's interested in URI and PC.

Yeah but are they interested in him kid did nothing every time I saw him. Although have not been impressed with the way Ollie develops players so maybe a good pickup .Have heard PC is interested in Reiuter from Virginia but have not heard this kids name mentioned. I think when he came out of high School uri was more involved in his recruitment then PC so would not surprise me if he ends up there 8f they want him.
You can never tell. Look at Kuran Iverson and Scott Hazelton. Did nothing at Memphis and UConn. Came to URI and were good here.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I didn't watch much Uconn this year but some of the games I did watch it seemed they played Brimah?(Im not sure of the name of their center) over Enoch to their detriment.

I saw a game when Enoch came into the game and had great post moves scoring. Really changed the game for them.

Any other year he would be a good grab, but if they are taking a transfer with an eye toward an immediate impact then they have to pass on Enoch.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Unless we have someone transfer. That would give us a chance to grab a transfer that has to sit out a year.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Damn, I was hoping we would get a chance at this guy if we can't land someone who can contribute next year.

One thing that really strikes me is just the large number of solid looking grad and traditional transfer targets available even at F/C. I gotta think we either have a decent shot at Juiston or are in on another guy the media has yet to pick up on.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hearing he's trying to get out of Louisville, and who can blame him. I'd imagine NCAA would give him a waiver and two years of eligibility beginning next year.
0 x