Game #34: Creighton (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 64) - Fri March 17, 4:30pm ET on TBS

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game #34 - Creighton (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 64) - Fri., March 17, 4:30pm ET

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote:Patton vs. Hassan will be the matchup of the game. Hassan can sometimes struggle against bigger, longer players and Patton definetly fits that bill.
Agreed. We defend the 3 extremely well and as good as their back court is, I give the edge to us defensively.

The game will be won or lost in the paint.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NCAA TV Coverage
Friday, March 17 (First Round)
Creighton vs. Rhode Island: approx. 4:30 p.m., TBS (Sacramento)

Announcers: Spero Dedes, Steve Smith, Len Elmore, Ros Gold-Onwude

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... uist-nantz
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I suspect we will be double teaming Patton down low and see how he reacts and his ability to make good passes out of it. I think the double teaming will help us in keeping Hass and KI out of foul trouble.
Creighton is a great offensive team shooting at 51% on field goals and 40% on their 3s. They are only a little better than us on free throws at 68.2% vs us at 65.5%. Avoiding open 3s out of the double team is a real issue. We clearly need to bring our "A" game on defensive and really keep our bigs out of foul trouble.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: Game #34: Creighton (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 64) - Fri March 17, 4:30pm ET on TBS

Unread post by neil »

I really like the fact that we have both Robinson and Jarvis coming off the bench. We certainly don't lose much defensively - that might wear down the Blue Jays even more. It would be interesting to know how many d-1 teams would take our two subs as their two starters. Go Rhody!
0 x
Joe
Lamar Odom

Re: Game #34: Creighton (NCAA Tournnment Rd of 64) - Fri March 17, 4:30pm ET on TBS

Unread post by Joe »

Key to this game is whether or not we're knocking down our 3's.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote:NCAA TV Coverage

It's a shame that Gus Johnson no longer calls for CBS. He was phenomenal!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Damn, I wish I could go.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote:Very favorable things......

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/march-madn ... 39815.html
Well of course if we play our usual stout defense and hit threes we'll win. The obvious question is: Will we hit our threes? (I hope to God we do, but don't know how God feels about it.)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Pete
this is a different team right now. This is a team when things were getting close against Davidson in the regular season I didn't feel we would lose. They have IT going. It's that vibe. You can't describe it. Prior to the game I won't mention, they didn't have it. When things were going bad it was going south. Even in the A10 finals when VCU was making the push, and we were up by 3, I still felt we had it. It's called SWAGGER. We now have it. It's tough to get, but once you have it, it's hard to lose it.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

really hope this game starts at like 5---or else im gona have to turn off my cell til i get home and start it on the dvr
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah. Turn phone OFF! I have made that mistake before
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

KMar970 wrote:really hope this game starts at like 5---or else im gona have to turn off my cell til i get home and start it on the dvr
I had to do that on Friday for the Bonnie's game. And then I drove home with the radio off for my hour long commute to avoid a score update
2 x
Common sense is not common.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Btw, in all the excitement I don't know if anyone thought about this...

What's the new name for the forum gonna be, and when will the change go into effect?

Should we do like a selection show special and sell the rights to Netflix?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting thoughts about their 7 footer. Have we double teamed anybody this season ??

I have seen Calipari Pitino and other coaches use an aggressive double team once ball goes down low then when he passes out of it we rotate like in the NBA

I have just not seen us do it cuz there are no good 7 footers in our league
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah. Turn phone OFF! I have made that mistake before
Sry matt :lol:
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyrudder wrote:Btw, in all the excitement I don't know if anyone thought about this...

What's the new name for the forum gonna be, and when will the change go into effect?

Should we do like a selection show special and sell the rights to Netflix?
I mean, it kind of still applies even after this year. :)
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Keep it Keep it !!!

That's what our motto is !! You
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Watching a lot of tape of Creighton the past couple days. We all know their center will be extremely hard to defend. Marcus Foster, Justin Patton and Khyri Thomas all scare me. EC has been amazing, but my only problem is he seems to fade off too much while defending the 3 PT line. If that happens against Creighton it will come back to haunt us. We can't take ANY possessions off against this team on defense. I think we will be able to score on these guys, but we have to shoot well to have a chance.

If the URI team that played in the A10 tournament shows up I love our chances. If not we won't win this game. Go Rhody!!!!!
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What's the scouting report on Patton. Is he a shot blocker? If so, does he go for pump fakes? Could get him in foul trouble if he does. How about on offense? Can Hass handle him by himself or will he need to be doubled?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote:Interesting thoughts about their 7 footer. Have we double teamed anybody this season ??

I have seen Calipari Pitino and other coaches use an aggressive double team once ball goes down low then when he passes out of it we rotate like in the NBA

I have just not seen us do it cuz there are no good 7 footers in our league
go with a soft double team. Let Hass body him 1 on 1, but when the pass comes in have the guard sink down and help
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

To me the Patten vs Martin matchup is huge. We can't double down on him too aggressively or dig down from our guards, because they shoot it too well and we will get burned. They also are a good passing team that spaces the floor really well. We will need for Hass to be able to contain Patten mostly in 1-on-1 situations. Patten is highly skilled, very long, and has good ball skills. But he is a Freshman and he is lean. Hass will have to be aggressive with him, without fouling. He will have to take it to him on the offensive end as it would be a huge boon to get this kid in foul trouble...while they have other bigs on the bench their is a big fall off in skill level with their backups.

I would guess Terrell will draw Marcus Foster, their next most dangerous player. Tough matchup, former Kansas State player with high skills and very tough.

We have to win the head-to-head with KI and our back court against theirs because Patten is going to be a problem for us one way or another.
They will score on us, but they also are not a great defensive team so we have to be able to counter punch and be the more aggressive team.
I just hope this team hasn't lost its edge after a miraculous run through Pittsburgh, we can hang with Creighton if we bring our A-game but they are a good team with a lot of weapons and it will take a big URI performance to come out on top.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How well do they handle pressure after losing their PG? Maybe we can turn them over?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I wonder if this is a game where you see Hass/Langevine in at the same time to handle some of that load down low?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Wow, pretty anxious just reading through this thread. Not sure what I'm going to do with myself on Friday night?
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:NCAA TV Coverage

It's a shame that Gus Johnson no longer calls for CBS. He was phenomenal!

I agree!! I feel like I don't have enough Gus Johnson in my life now that he is lost on Fox 1 or whatever it is called. ESPN should have nabbed him, it's a real shame!!!
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'm worried that Hass will get into early foul trouble.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RI_Bred wrote:I'm worried that Hass will get into early foul trouble.
Also my number one concern, and I'm sure both teams are aware of that possibility too after the VCU game.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hassan should not get Patton for stretches longer than 3 or 4 minutes during the game Friday. Not because he can't cover him, but because we cannot win the game if he is sitting with foul trouble. After a 3 minute stretch I would rotate Iverson onto Patton for a minute or two or bring Langevine in to beat up on him a little for a couple minutes. Patton is skilled and very long, but he is not that strong and I think Hassan and Langevine can be pretty physical with him as long as they avoid cheap fouls. Iverson probably has the most similar body, but he is giving up a good amount of height so I wouldn't try to use him on Patton for more than one or two possessions at a time and be prepared to bring help when you do. But it is important to give Hassan the mental and physical break during the game and to try to keep him out of foul trouble, not to mention just giving Patton different looks so he can't get too comfortable.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But, now that we're playing more zone...
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The CU board is getting a little feisty with all the national talk about URI. I also love that we (collective) have started on the CU board a URI-PC pissing contest. God, I love being a fan of College Basketball and love being in the NCAA finally!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea, always nice to trigger a PC fan.
0 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It's always nice to provide a link to something you are talking about off the site.

http://www.bluejayunderground.com/viewt ... 7&start=80
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I kind of agree with their posters that the trendiness of picking URI has gotten carried away. You can clearly see the rational: we are peaking and hot, they have not been the same team since losing Watson; we are seen as underseeded and they are seen as overseeded. But realistically, we are not a lock to beat Creighton by any stretch. They have good players, they have a good coach, they are battle tested against good teams. I really liked this draw as far as 6/11 matchups go, but I'm less excited about it now that everyone else is so excited by it. I think we've lost some of our sneaky appeal and it has started to go the other way a bit.
5 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Patton is very foul prone. So it the entire Creighton team.
So are we.
Hope it's not a whistle-fest, like the first VCU game.
Foster and Terrell are very similar players.
Foster scores more and shoots more.
Creighton's depth is in veteran players.
They love to play up-tempo.
My guess is, Dan would like to turn it into a rock-fight
and slow it down.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is easy to understand Bluejay fans unhappiness with the disrespect their team is being given by media pundits. Creighton was always comfortably in the field while URI had to play out of its mind down the stretch just to get in. I am sure the media love for our Rams will be used to by the CU coaching staff to motivate their players. URI however has no control over what the media says. I hope that all this love does not get into the heads of the Rhody players and inflates their egos. Rhody will have to bring their A game with a high level of intensity to beat Creighton. Despite what the media says, the outcome of the game will be decided on the court with it still to be determined.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This should make Bluejay fans happy. Obama picked Creighton to beat Rhode Island.

I guess Rhody fans should now get all bent out of shape and feel disrespected. I myself see it only as one man's opinion that has absolutely no direct bearing on game.

https://www.obama.org/updates/sportsman ... ce=twitter
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

As a Rhody fan and an Obama fanboy, I am 100% OK with Obama taking Creighton. We need more of the action to go to Creighton. I want to be a 3-4 point dog in this game.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

They asked tRUMP.
He said,"What's an NCAA bracket? Can I hang my picture on it?"
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Billyboy78 wrote:What's the scouting report on Patton. Is he a shot blocker? If so, does he go for pump fakes? Could get him in foul trouble if he does. How about on offense? Can Hass handle him by himself or will he need to be doubled?
I found this quote in an ESPN summary after Marquette's win over Creighton earlier this year:

"Justin Patton, the Bluejays' 7-foot freshman, had 11 points. He was limited to 4 minutes in the first half after committing two quick fouls, and he had his fourth midway through the second half. "That was part of our game plan," said Fischer, the Eagles' center. "He likes to jump at shots. We used ball fakes. We got him in early foul trouble and we were able to exploit their defense from there."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400919691
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I know CU is good. I just think for our team they need to think that they are a buzzsaw and just put the pedal down on these guys.

URI is playing at a very high level. They beat 3 good teams by double digits in 3 days. First day they faced great guards. Second day it was a tremendous inside outside 1-2 punch +their very respected coach. Then URI beat VCU, who carries a very impressive front court along with a very high level point guard.

URI dominated all three teams and all three styles. In three consecutive days. Thats some Bruce Lee stuff.

If our guys continue to rebound together, move their feet on defense Creighton is in for a long day. Then on offense if they play together they score at will because they create open shots for each other.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Funny to read their board and 1 guy says that they have a guy that can shut down EC Matthews. I know EC has been up and down and all around, but no player has ever shut EC Matthews down.

Its always been more about him than them.

You can't shut a guy down that basically lives off of contested bad shot selection shots and weird awkward left hand floater drives.

With that being said, URI is not EC Matthews. He is just a strong piece of the puzzle.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Justns11 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:What's the scouting report on Patton. Is he a shot blocker? If so, does he go for pump fakes? Could get him in foul trouble if he does. How about on offense? Can Hass handle him by himself or will he need to be doubled?
I found this quote in an ESPN summary after Marquette's win over Creighton earlier this year:

"Justin Patton, the Bluejays' 7-foot freshman, had 11 points. He was limited to 4 minutes in the first half after committing two quick fouls, and he had his fourth midway through the second half. "That was part of our game plan," said Fischer, the Eagles' center. "He likes to jump at shots. We used ball fakes. We got him in early foul trouble and we were able to exploit their defense from there."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400919691
Exactly what I was thinking. And Patton will be even more pumped to block a shot being his 1st NCAA tourney game. Go to Hass early, a little pump fake and Patton will be jumping towards the roof. 1 possession, 1 foul.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched a couple you tube clips on Patton last night. The kid is very talented

Seems to me he is more of a face up player with skills than a back to the basket guy

I guess Have Hass guard him and make him take tough contested shots without fouling. I don't like sending a double team since he is more of a face up guy. If he is killing us then make necessary adjustments

Usually the refs are better in the NCAA and hopefully we don't get whistled with ticky tacks as foul trouble will hurt us big time
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Forgive me if this has been posted...

Are we wearing Navy or Keany Friday? (I hope Navy.)
Last edited by RhodyNJ 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I would think we stick with the sharp Navy. It's been working nicely and looks best on TV.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ATPTourFan wrote:I would think we stick with the sharp Navy. It's been working nicely and looks best on TV.
The team decides...and Dan is very superstitious so I would expect navy as well.

That said we rolled in all our jerseys down the stretch
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL