Dan Hurley is a Pretty Decent Basketball Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Dan Hurley is a Pretty Decent Basketball Coach

Unread post by Blue Man »

You mocked us. You laughed at us. You told us we didn't know what we were talking about. You told us Dan Hurley wasn't a good coach. You told us Dan Hurley needed to be fired.

WHO IS DUMB!? WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!? WHO'S HOUSE'S FRONT STEPS AM I SHITTING ON WITH MY DOG TONIGHT!?

BOW DOWN TO SAINT HURLEY. BOW DOWN TO THE BEST URI TEAM WE HAVE HAD IN ALMOST 2 FUCKING DECADES!

REPENT! ALL ARE WELCOME ON OUR BANDWAGON INTO MARCH.

RHODY RHODY RHODY

I. FUCKING. LOVE. THIS. TEAM.
15 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Mongo
ARD

Re: DAN HURLEY IS YOUR GOD. VERBALLY FELLATE HIM

Unread post by Mongo »

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This seems appropriate place to post this again...

12 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Glad to see Blueman being a gracious winner.
14 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'll pass on the fellate part.
But, I will congratulate him.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:Glad to see Blueman being a gracious winner.
NO NEED TO BE GRACIOUS WHEN WE'RE A10 CHAMPIONS! WINNERS WRITE HISTORY!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan Hurley promised us:

Establish a winning culture -- CHECK

Develop a championship caliber program -- CHECK

Return to NCAA tournament -- CHECK
6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was referred to as one of "Danny's Boys" in earlier threads. Pissed me off way back then but now I'm feeling pretty vindicated.

Hurley is not close to Baron - case closed and never to be reopened. Baron 2.0 was the "Dumbest Thread Ever" and will be difficult to ever beat it
He is not "somewhere in between Shaka Smart and Jim Baron"
He just might build URI into "the Gonzaga of the East" - I would not bet against him.
He can beat Top 25 RPI Teams - and not just once but multiple times and counting
He can win big games on the road
He can win the Atlantic 10 Tournament
He can design and call effective in-bounds plays
He can Coach a team into playing their best basketball in February and March
He can Coach his teams to "not play tight" as was a frequent criticism
He can orchestrate his plan to bring Hassan Martin and EC Mathews to the NCAA Tournament as he originally told them he would get them the shot
He did know what he was doing when he created one of the toughest OOC Schedules in the A10 and in College Basketball
He did get to the NCAA's before his brother Danny did
He has demonstrated that he is an amazing defensive coach, building URI into a better defensive team than Dayton and VCU, and one of the best in the Nation

Just WOW
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I admit I questioned some of the things he did this year, but never even came close to thinking he should be fired. I always hoped he'd be here a long time. Right now, I'm thrilled he's our coach.
2 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Blue Man - Pm the address!
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Glad I was completely wrong about Hurley! Although after the Fordham loss I'm not sure how anyone could have expected this outcome to the season, of course I'm not complaining!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I mean we shouldn't have to hero worship Dan since he was hired to take us to the dance. He did his job. Thank you Coach Hurley.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This isn't the first time we've gotten better as the season has gone on under Hurley, but it's the most dramatic.

I wish all of you had my view of this season. Not because I was right, but because I think some of you should have enjoyed it more. You deserved it.

Drink the Kool Aid y'all, it's delicious.
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Just got back from the Mews....watched the game at work.

I don't mind being wrong.....and boy was I wrong......

Just an amazing feeling.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm not sure I can think of three members that thought he should be fired, cut with the drama and forum rivalries, everyone here gets to revel in this team's successes, as we've all been on the ride together.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:I was referred to as one of "Danny's Boys" in earlier threads. Pissed me off way back then but now I'm feeling pretty vindicated.

Hurley is not close to Baron - case closed and never to be reopened. Baron 2.0 was the "Dumbest Thread Ever" and will be difficult to ever beat it
He just might build URI into "the Gonzaga of the East" - I would not bet against him.
He can beat Top 25 RPI Teams - and not just once but multiple times and counting
He can orchestrate his plan to bring Hassan Martin and EC Mathews to the NCAA Tournament as he originally told them he would get them the shot
He did know what he was doing when he created one of the toughest OOC Schedules in the A10 and in College Basketball
He has demonstrated that he is an amazing defensive coach, building URI into a better defensive team than Dayton and VCU, and one of the best in the Nation

Just WOW
Great Post ramster. Just one question:

"He did get to the NCAA's before his brother Danny did" - if you mean Bobby, Bobby took Buffalo to the dance 2 years ago.

Other than that, I agree with all these points!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote:
ramster wrote:I was referred to as one of "Danny's Boys" in earlier threads. Pissed me off way back then but now I'm feeling pretty vindicated.

Just WOW
Great Post ramster. Just one question:

"He did get to the NCAA's before his brother Danny did" - if you mean Bobby, Bobby took Buffalo to the dance 2 years ago.

Other than that, I agree with all these points!
Ooops, I missed that :oops:
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The call to worship reminds me of one of tRUMP's
stooges saying,"Everyone will now have to bow to Donald tRUMP!",
after he got elected.
Sorry, it's only basketball, not religion.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am really happy for DH

I know how hard he works and glad to see the hard work is finally paying off results in wins and getting to the dance
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:This isn't the first time we've gotten better as the season has gone on under Hurley, but it's the most dramatic.

I wish all of you had my view of this season. Not because I was right, but because I think some of you should have enjoyed it more. You deserved it.

Drink the Kool Aid y'all, it's delicious.
Not siure I had your view this season, but the wife and I enjoyed the heck out of this season from Section 208. And my son and I have enjoyed every minute on the road...even though we had to get up at 3am to sit in the airport in Pitts this morning, I return to RI proudly wearing a shirt that has the Rhody logo and the word "champions" on it. Yes, I am "that guy"...wearing a T-shirt over a sweatshirt...and couldn't be happier. Great ride so far....
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote:You mocked us. You laughed at us. You told us we didn't know what we were talking about. You told us Dan Hurley wasn't a good coach. You told us Dan Hurley needed to be fired.

WHO IS DUMB!? WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!? WHO'S HOUSE'S FRONT STEPS AM I SHITTING ON WITH MY DOG TONIGHT!?

BOW DOWN TO SAINT HURLEY. BOW DOWN TO THE BEST URI TEAM WE HAVE HAD IN ALMOST 2 FUCKING DECADES!

REPENT! ALL ARE WELCOME ON OUR BANDWAGON INTO MARCH.

RHODY RHODY RHODY

I. FUCKING. LOVE. THIS. TEAM.
Bump. Discuss ;)
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've always said I want him here for the long haul. We are still building and it's still getting better. We could have a potential powerhouse for years.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What I like is we beat out one of the BE's best programs for a program changing big man, by all accounts.

Now there is only one thing left to do:

Turn all this talent into the Beast of the East......

Also pretty much guarantees DH isn't going anywhere for a while.....he wouldn't leave this class behind.....
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What I like is DH realized mid season that what was happening on the court wasn't working. And rather than sticking to his plan, he made changes that actually resulted in success. Sure, the first half of last year was a disaster. Can't dismiss that. But I don't think anyone here wanted him to fail. Not me that's for sure. So I think this thread should just go away.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree Blueram.
Nobody is God, but God.
Some of us had doubts about Dan's ability to adapt
outside his bailiwick.
He has answered that positively.
Now this obscenely titled thread needs to disappear.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Where is GBG? Is he lost in the thread about Xavier Munford's NBA contract? Or maybe he is at a senior center in bumfuck USA looking for a geriatric former coach because Dan needs a father figure on the bench to draw up plays. Bc ya know Dan can't call plays.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really liked the hire when we got him and it started off slow but he has turned the corner big time. I love his passion and work ethic. If we can become Ginzaga East here we will be having lots of fun
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I'm with Rod.....can we change the name of this thread please
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You're right, change the title. It's way more scandalous than saying fuck in a signature, but blocking one letter...
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Re: Dan Hurley is a Pretty Decent Basketball Coach

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

If not for an incredible comeback overtime win against Davidson and a flawless A-10 tourney run, the narrative on this board would be much different. This team had only one notable OCC win and 3 close losses to comparable teams in a four game window coupled with 2 really bad double digit home losses to LaSalle and Fordham and was still plagued by the same late game mistakes costing them quality wins. So, let's not pretend it was all sunshine and rainbows. Even the thread author had a few negative meltdowns.

This team started to play the way many on this board wanted them to play at the most important time, but last year was very frustrating until late February. Hurley really found his coaching groove during the A-10 tournament and carried that over to the NCAAs. Hopefully, he can continue that.

This recruiting cycle has been amazing. If this team didn't save its season last year and make some noise in the dance, we have no off-season success. If you build it, they will come. So, let's be Bob the Builder. Sorry, I have a 2 year old.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

2 parts: I love the name change, but, I mean you guys do realize the context of verbally fellate is a funny way to say “say extremely nice things about him,” right? Like, the “verbal” part provides the connotation that words would be the primary factor of the act.

It is also a direct response to a fired up reply I had about “when uri wins the A10 and goes to the NCAAs everyone will turn around and verbally fellate Dan.” The internet is a place where context reigns and words should not be taken at their literal definition.

Sweep; “if not for an incredible comeback against Davidson and a flawless A-10 tourney run..”

Um...yeah? Like the whole premise of the sport of college basketball, or really any sport, is winning when it counts.

Yeah if not for Pete Carroll calling a pass that Pats lose the Super Bowl. If not for a last second shot Villanova loses the national championship.

I don’t even get your point here. Yeah, I guess if not for all those great, program changing wins last year, the season would’ve sucked?

If I had wheels I’d be a wagon.

Point being, I’m just not sure how anyone can try to look at Dan through a half empty glass.

As for my meltdowns? Duh, I’m an extremely excitable fan. You wouldn’t be a fan if you didn’t have an immediate reaction good or bad to a win. That’s sports. I just happen to go to extremes, Billy Joel style. But, I didn’t start comparing Dan to a previous coach who shall not be named and start thinking about who should replace him. That’s kind of the point of this whole thread.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Just WOW
Wait, what?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:2 parts: I love the name change, but, I mean you guys do realize the context of verbally fellate is a funny way to say “say extremely nice things about him,” right? Like, the “verbal” part provides the connotation that words would be the primary factor of the act.

It is also a direct response to a fired up reply I had about “when uri wins the A10 and goes to the NCAAs everyone will turn around and verbally fellate Dan.” The internet is a place where context reigns and words should not be taken at their literal definition.

Sweep; “if not for an incredible comeback against Davidson and a flawless A-10 tourney run..”

Um...yeah? Like the whole premise of the sport of college basketball, or really any sport, is winning when it counts.

Yeah if not for Pete Carroll calling a pass that Pats lose the Super Bowl. If not for a last second shot Villanova loses the national championship.

I don’t even get your point here. Yeah, I guess if not for all those great, program changing wins last year, the season would’ve sucked?

Point being, I’m just not sure how anyone can try to look at Dan through a half empty glass.

As for my meltdowns? Duh, I’m an extremely excitable fan. You wouldn’t be a fan if you didn’t have an immediate reaction good or bad to a win. That’s sports. I just happen to go to extremes, Billy Joel style. But, I didn’t start comparing Dan to a previous coach who shall not be named and start thinking about who should replace him. That’s kind of the point of this whole thread.
Wow, the point was that they had no margin for error and had a disaster of a regular season. And if they didn't do what they did, we don't get these recruits.

What signature wins? The Bonnies, Davidson and VCU in the A-10? None, world beaters, but they did their job and won. The win over Creighton was without their best player.

I'm not glass half empty type of guy, I'm a realist. And I'm thrilled with their success. And I never ever compared with Baron. Check the tape.

And someone who is emotional and has had negative rants is the last person who should tell people to eat crow. We all are all (well, mostly) Rhody fans, some with different takes.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Mark it down everybody, it took until October 7, 2017, for our first case of someone trying to convince us that the 9 game win streak that brought us an A-10 tourney title and a second round NCAA Tournament game wasn't really all that great. Honestly it took longer than I expected.
6 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:Mark it down everybody, it took until October 7, 2017, for our first case of someone trying to convince us that the 9 game win streak that brought us an A-10 tourney title and a second round NCAA Tournament game wasn't really all that great. Honestly it took longer than I expected.
When did I say it wasn't great? Holy balls. I'm stating that a lot of people questioned Dan and this team before the A-10 tournament with good reason. They had an incredible run against good, but not great teams and did URI proud.

However, we didn't have a "signature win". Oregon is a signature win. Not the Bonnies or anyone in A-10 other than Dayton.
Last edited by Sweep The Leg 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
adam914 wrote:Mark it down everybody, it took until October 7, 2017, for our first case of someone trying to convince us that the 9 game win streak that brought us an A-10 tourney title and a second round NCAA Tournament game wasn't really all that great. Honestly it took longer than I expected.
When did I say it wasn't great? Holy balls. I'm stating that a lot of people questioned Dan and this team before the A-10 tournament with good reason. They had an incredible run against good, but not great teams and did URI proud.

However, we didn't a "signature win". Oregon is a signature win. Not the Bonnies or anyone in A-10 other than Dayton.
We didn't have a signature win??!! Please tell me your joking?
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

steveystuds06 wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

However, we didn't a "signature win". Oregon is a signature win. Not the Bonnies or anyone in A-10 other than Dayton.
Name it. A signature win is over a top 15 team in my view.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

So the first NCAA Tournament win in 19 years isn't a signature win? Or it just doesn't count because they had an injured player?
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02......even I have standards...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

I'm so confused right now. So, I say that Hurley came into his own coaching during the A-10 tournament which saved our season and I'm negative and hate the team. Makes sense.

Hurley's final hurdle was in-game coaching. He improved the infrastructure, attitude and recruiting 10 fold since he got here. And got quality students and even better kids.

But, it comes down to winning and losing. I just think people are losing sight on how close we were to the NIT last year and not the NCAAs.

So, if having that opinion is wrong, I'll order my kneepads.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:
steveystuds06 wrote:
So the first NCAA Tournament win in 19 years isn't a signature win? Or it just doesn't count because they had an injured player?
It's the way you look at it. In the overall scope of the program, yes. If your talking about beating a team you shouldn't, then no. We were favored against Creighton. It was program defining and placed us in a great position which I stated.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Sweep The Leg wrote:
Blue Man wrote:2 parts: I love the name change, but, I mean you guys do realize the context of verbally fellate is a funny way to say “say extremely nice things about him,” right? Like, the “verbal” part provides the connotation that words would be the primary factor of the act.

Wow, the point was that they had no margin for error and had a disaster of a regular season. And if they didn't do what they did, we don't get these recruits.

What signature wins? The Bonnies, Davidson and VCU in the A-10? None, world beaters, but they did their job and won. The win over Creighton was without their best player.

I'm not glass half empty type of guy, I'm a realist. And I'm thrilled with their success. And I never ever compared with Baron. Check the tape.

And someone who is emotional and has had negative rants is the last person who should tell people to eat crow. We all are all (well, mostly) Rhody fans, some with different takes.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And if Lamar Odom doesnt hit a 25 foot leaner at the buzzer a team with the #1 recruit in the country, a former McDonald's AA, and 2 very good starters returning would have gone to the NIT as well.

Fwiw Cincy was a signature win, beating the perennial league power VCU twice in the last month and beating Creighton were all signature wins.
5 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

This coming from you is the epidemy of irony.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Sweep The Leg wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

This coming from you is the epidemy of irony.
Possibly, but it doesn’t make it any less hilarious.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:And if Lamar Odom doesnt hit a 25 foot leaner at the buzzer a team with the #1 recruit in the country, a former McDonald's AA, and 2 very good starters returning would have gone to the NIT as well.

Fwiw Cincy was a signature win, beating the perennial league power VCU twice in the last month and beating Creighton were all signature wins.
Reread my first post, I referenced the OCC win, but it isn't exactly signature.

Let me explain the signature win. 1997-98.

Round 1 win vs Murray St.- A big win, but signature, no.
Round 2 win vs Kansas- The most signature win ever.
Round 3 win vs Valpo- A huge win, but we beat a 13 seed, so not signature, but nonetheless historical.

Beating a blueblood in a huge spot is signature in my eyes.

Big program wins and signature wins can be mutually exclusive.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Sweep The Leg wrote:
bigappleram wrote:And if Lamar Odom doesnt hit a 25 foot leaner at the buzzer a team with the #1 recruit in the country, a former McDonald's AA, and 2 very good starters returning would have gone to the NIT as well.

Reread my first post, I referenced the OCC win, but it isn't exactly signature.

Let me explain the signature win. 1997-98.

Round 1 win vs Murray St.- A big win, but signature, no.
Round 2 win vs Kansas- The most signature win ever.
Round 3 win vs Valpo- A huge win, but we beat a 13 seed, so not signature, but nonetheless historical.

Beating a blueblood in a huge spot is signature in my eyes.

Big program wins and signature wins can be mutually exclusive.
Well since we’re using your super awesome logic of not counting Creighton because they were without their best player, does Oregon not count as a loss because we were without ours?

Does 2016 go down as a DNP because EC got hurt?

Sorry that we can’t play #1 seed Kansas with Paul Pierce every year.

Does UCONN not count their last title because they had an easy route to get there?

Where does it stop?

The amount of qualifiers you are putting on what you will accept as a “good season” or “signature win” is flat out stupid and illogical.

We are the A10 Champions. We won an NCAA game as an underdog 11 seed. We had the best season at URI since 1998.

Sorry it didn’t check all your boxes, but out in reality and the sports world it was a resounding success.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Dan has built a program. Not a team, but a program
We have had good teams but never a good program
Enjoy it instead of nitpicking your subjective definition of signature.
6 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sweep The Leg wrote:

However, we didn't have a "signature win". Oregon is a signature win. Not the Bonnies or anyone in A-10 other than Dayton.
Why would Dayton count as a signature win, because we didn't beat them? To me beating VCU to win a championship was far more of a signature win than beating Dayton
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Any win in the NCAA tournament is a signature win for us....we are not going to be a perennial top 4 seed in the foreseeable future....we will be 7,8,9,10,11 at best...so each win is monumental..you need signature wins in the regular season if you don't win your conference tournament....we didn't need regular season signature wins last year in retrospect.
3 x