BASEBALL - Beck Field Enhancement Moving Forward!

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

BASEBALL - Beck Field Enhancement Moving Forward!

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

This is excellent news. The baseball team has made some huge accomplishments recently: They are URI's most recent A10 Champions, and the URI squad that has most recently won games in the NCAA Tournament. This facility deserves an upgrade and I for one will be in the new stands for a game or two if/when they are ready this spring!

The Story is here
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-basebl/ ... 1213mjjydq

Pictures of Phase One are here:
https://www.facebook.com/RhodyBaseball/ ... 9863872004

4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: BASEBALL - Beck Field Enhancement Moving Forward!

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Puck Frovidence wrote:This is excellent news. The baseball team has made some huge accomplishments recently: They are URI's most recent A10 Champions, and the URI squad that has most recently won games in the NCAA Tournament. This facility deserves an upgrade and I for one will be in the new stands for a game or two if/when they are ready this spring!

The Story is here
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-basebl/ ... 1213mjjydq

Pictures of Phase One are here:
https://www.facebook.com/RhodyBaseball/ ... 9863872004

See you there!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The improvements are nice and well overdue,especially for a program that is successful. I almost wish the improvements were more impressive, but still an improvement over the horrid exterior of this field.
0 x
GO RAMS
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

I am impressed by what they done have and plan to do. School needs to invest in a beautiful small ball park - it would be a real asset to URI and the State. It can go slowly and in phases just as the current improvements. Didn't some of the Bond money passed in the Nov election have funds for public improvements? Think Big....We Do!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Uncle Ed wrote:I am impressed by what they done have and plan to do. School needs to invest in a beautiful small ball park - it would be a real asset to URI and the State. It can go slowly and in phases just as the current improvements. Didn't some of the Bond money passed in the Nov election have funds for public improvements? Think Big....We Do!
I'd still love to see some kind of partnership where the Ocean State Waves move from Old Mountain Field to Bill Beck Field and the organization and university work together for an appropriate ballpark.

Unfortunately I can't imagine the stands will be ready for this season. The deadline to raise the first $30,000 to activate the $15,000 gift is February 17th, opening day of the season with the home opener March 31st.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Attendance for the Waves would be hurt by moving "all the way" to Kingston. There are just lots of fans who see the little Waves signs around Wakefield Center and just show up.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I can't say I've been to a Waves game yet so can't speak intelligently to that side of things. Hopefully that will change this summer.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Reminder that Friday is the season opener for baseball, which means it's also the deadline for fans to raise $30,000 for phase two of Beck Field enhancements.

Bill Beck Field Enhancement Project - Phase Two ($30,000)
Phase Two will focus mainly on the spectator seating area while also continuing to enhance the overall aesthetics of the facility. Versa-Lok walls will be constructed to provide tiered spectator seating between both dugouts and the current set of bleachers behind home plate. Artificial grass will line the seating area, lessening the need for frequent landscaping and maintenance while also eliminating the concern of muddy conditions resulting from melting snow and/or spring showers.

The backstop area will be wrapped in a thin stone veneer, providing a finished look to the concrete backstop that currently exists. Additionally, five arborvitae trees will be installed in the batter's eye behind the centerfield wall, replacing some of the current trees to create a more uniform look.

If fans raise this $30,000, then a private donor will donate $15,000 for phase three.

Bill Beck Field Enhancement Project - Phase Three ($15,000)
The project's third and final phase will include another Versa-Lok tiered seating wall with artificial grass surface, between the first base dugout and home bullpen. Additional trees will be installed along the outfield wall as well.

I haven't heard any update on how things are going to reach the $30,000.

Individuals who make gifts of $1,000 or more will have the opportunity to engrave a stone along the new walkway at the entrance of Bill Beck Field. As a special deal to young alumni, gifts may be made in two installments - one before the end of the calendar year and another in 2017.

For additional information on various levels of giving and ways to get involved, please contact Nick Narodowy (nnarodowy@uri.edu/401-874-2389) or Garrett Waller (gwaller@uri.edu/401-874-5287) in the Rhode Island Athletics Development office.

Those looking to give online may do so by clicking here. Select Baseball (Ram Slam) for your gift designation and enter "Bill Beck Field Enhancement Project" in the box labeled "other fund".
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

OK,Rhowdy -I just donated to the baseball upgrades.
Coach does a great job in particular promoting the program.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I've heard the fundraiser was successful, but they're already looking towards the next enhancement
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So good news, I was wrong! It looks like phase two and three will be completed by the home opener on Friday the 31st against St. Louis! There's been one change because the fundraising project was so successful. Instead of adding seating between the home dugout and the bullpen down the right field line, they'll be replacing the current bleachers behind home plate with new, larger bleachers. After this project, the next improvement they want to make is to the press box area. "Upon the completion of Phase Three, URI will look to install a new press box that features an ungraded media area, as well as spectator viewing decks and an alumni suite." I can't wait to watch Tyler Wilson destroy St. Louis at the home opener in new seating!

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-basebl/ ... 0228qby9mw
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That press box improvement will be very nice. I worked many games in that press box back in the day as a student intern and the upgrade is badly needed.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Instead of adding seating between the home dugout and the bullpen down the right field line, they'll be replacing the current bleachers behind home plate with new, larger bleachers.
This is kind of a bummer, was hoping for a decent expansion of seats, not just replacing what they have. Still really good they're getting things done though. I'm sure the radio guys will appreciate an upgrade to the press box! It's been great to listen to the coverage in the past few years but you can often hear that's it's crowded in there. Onward and upward for Rhody Baseball!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No, they're adding seats. It sounds like they're improving the small bleachers and adding seating from dugout to dugout
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

2 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Awesome! When we were there this weekend, seemed like that would be an easy, but huge, upgrade. NICE!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x