Cordischi of GoLocalProv: Oh No! Hurley back to Jersey???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: oh no!

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Now there you go.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Hell, Texas Longhorn is right down the street from him.
Ribeye heaven.
Guess he doesn't like to go out once he's home.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, awesome place also. I go to the one in Waterford, near the Crystal Mall. Not cheap, but gooooood. Big portions too.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nothing like a good steak!
I used to have this girl who worked for me.
She told me she wanted to make her boyfriend a nice steak, and asked
which cuts were good.
I went through my usual rundown about ribeye, t-bone, strip, and tenderloin.
The next day, I asked her what she made.
"Oh, a chuck steak." AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The Golden Lantern.
0 x
EricRueb
Abdul Fox

Unread post by EricRueb »

I read two pages of the thread, stopped and decided to post. Here's my take, from a journalistic perspective:
This is not an article, despite what many of you have written. This is a column. There is a huge disparity. GoLocalProv has failed miserably with its sports coverage because it doesn't differentiate between what is a story and what is a column. If I say Dan Hurley could leave in a story, I better have facts to back it up. If I write a column about why i think Dan Hurley could leave, it's an opinion. Problem is, the website - not Cordischi - doesn't make note that this is a column.
This is why - and I say this knowing Scott - why GoLocalProv's sports coverage is ridiculous. They haven't decided if they're an online blog -throwing rumors out, not crediting other sources, not doing any reporting - or an actual news source. I feel like if GoLocal wanted to, they could hire actual reporters and dominate the state's coverage of sports, from URI to PC to Brown to high schools. Instead, they're some sort of half-blog, half-news hybrid that doesn't know where it's going.
It's fine, but when one of your staffers writes a column - like this was - identify it as much so readers don't get confused.
When Scott broke the Hurley news - and I don't care what anyone at any other media outlet says, he kicked our asses - he got screwed because someone at GoLocal gave his story a sh*tty headline that discredited the reporting he did.
If GoLocal got its act in gear, no one would go anywhere but there for RI sports news. That's all they should be doing now - sticking to RI sports, not the pro teams in NE.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My favorite is a nice piece of Filet Mignon

Nothing like it after a URI win !!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Man vs food recently showed a place in Bmore that has a 74 oz steak challenge. You have to eat a filet, 2 ny strip, flat iron, prime rib and one other along with a pound if sides. If you do it you get $100. If you lose; you pay the $140 tab
Guy came up 4 oz short
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Gallagher's Steak House in Manhattan......if you're ever in NYC......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Golden Lantern closed many moons ago.

It's now a Chinese restaurant, Lucky House. If you like Chinese food, it's good.

It's a good place to go, if you want to get lucky. :P
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Used to get Lucky at The Lantern, but, that's another story. What a place it was. Where else could you get a great steak and also meet Bobby Sherman????
Maybe we ought to turn this thread into a restaurant review. At least we'd be turning a negative thread into a positive one.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

EricRueb wrote:I read two pages of the thread, stopped and decided to post. Here's my take, from a journalistic perspective:
This is not an article, despite what many of you have written. This is a column. There is a huge disparity. GoLocalProv has failed miserably with its sports coverage because it doesn't differentiate between what is a story and what is a column. If I say Dan Hurley could leave in a story, I better have facts to back it up. If I write a column about why i think Dan Hurley could leave, it's an opinion. Problem is, the website - not Cordischi - doesn't make note that this is a column.
This is why - and I say this knowing Scott - why GoLocalProv's sports coverage is ridiculous. They haven't decided if they're an online blog -throwing rumors out, not crediting other sources, not doing any reporting - or an actual news source. I feel like if GoLocal wanted to, they could hire actual reporters and dominate the state's coverage of sports, from URI to PC to Brown to high schools. Instead, they're some sort of half-blog, half-news hybrid that doesn't know where it's going.
It's fine, but when one of your staffers writes a column - like this was - identify it as much so readers don't get confused.
When Scott broke the Hurley news - and I don't care what anyone at any other media outlet says, he kicked our asses - he got screwed because someone at GoLocal gave his story a sh*tty headline that discredited the reporting he did.
If GoLocal got its act in gear, no one would go anywhere but there for RI sports news. That's all they should be doing now - sticking to RI sports, not the pro teams in NE.
The thing that really bothered me (and I didn't even mention this in my critique) was the fact that it was tweeted out as "Hurley to Rutgers". No question mark, no note that it was an opinion piece, no other text. I get that Twitter is a somewhat limited resource due to character restrictions, but come on - that's just straight trolling. No respected "news" site would ever do something like that without qualifying it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Now he's trying to defend that piece of trash that he wrote...
http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/scott ... the-heat1/
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He claims to be a URI basketball fan in his latest article, yet he started his last article with... "URI fans, I hate to rain on your parade, but"...C,mon, Scott.
Look at his Facebook page. Yes, He's a Syracuse fan. He should be. Yet he also lists Providence College basketball, Bryant, Brown(I get that too) and CCRI as his favorites. URI appears nowhere on his page. Scott and Rooke PC/Big East ballwashers. Claiming that he is a URI fan is an insult.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Dammit, I clicked again.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's what everybody is saying it was, just a bunch of speculation. Anybody could have put it out there.

Even if Rutgers fires Rice, I don't see Hurley taking that job. He's got a job to do here. Maybe in a few years....
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

BFC wrote:Dammit, I clicked again.
Don't feel bad, he got me too BFC.

I don't want to think about him anymore, what an absolute hack.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Cooley is having a very good year, yet, I don't see anything about him possibly moving on. I guess it's because he's "home."
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

If in Westerly try Guytanos if you can find it.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Call me crazy again but with all the grass farms in southern RI --> The grass does seem to be greener here.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Let's be crystal about 1 thing.

The Ryan Center banging out 7K + every game with a top 20 team getting national press everyday is PC's ultimate nightmare. Friar roots run deep around these parts and the future of Friar ball is very much up in the air. We should expect a lot more of these made up stories in the next few months.

Hurley stays and URI will be strong, as early as next season. Heck, his team sitting on the sidelines right now could do major damage in the A10 or the future C 7 for that matter.

Again, attempts to knock the Ram train off the track are to be expected. URI has a first class facility on campus. Friars play in a dump downtown and look forward to playing in a league that doesn't even exist yet with a student body on campus that could care less about following the team or walking a few blocks to see it play.

I'd be scared too......

We are in a pretty good place, let's not overreact to crap.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, but Scott claims he is a URI fan. I'm the one in his latest article that has said he has a PC bias. He denies that statement saying that he likes all the local basketball teams equally. I don't care what teams he likes. But don't insult my intelligence by telling me that you are a URI fan (this was from a Facebook conversation I had with him), and that you had no motive for writing that article. As I have stated before, you do not write that article and start it by saying...."URI fans, I hate to rain on your parade, but..."(that was also on his FB page) if you are a URI fan.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Eric:
The problem is, it wasn't written like a column either. You get a lot of this: "If Rutgers or Seton Hall are looking for a new men’s basketball coach, many believe that Dan Hurley would be at the very top of their wish list."
He doesn't say "I believe," he says "many believe."
So Scott talked to "many" people in writing this? Of course not. I think there's only one "I" in the "column." He should've written it as his opinion instead of trying to look like he's plugged in and has some inside info.
That was my problem with it.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Billy,
that was like shooting fish in a barrel over there.
PC fans who know zero commenting on our program and
our coach.
One idiot even criticized his suit. I countered with, "At least he's in shape and doesn't wear
pajamas on his show".
Oh, the best one was, some dope saying letting Baron go was a big mistake.
Not the Facebook comments, but the Golocal comments.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:Eric:
The problem is, it wasn't written like a column either. You get a lot of this: "If Rutgers or Seton Hall are looking for a new men’s basketball coach, many believe that Dan Hurley would be at the very top of their wish list."
So Scott talked to "many" people in writing this? Of course not. I think there's only one "I" in the "column." He should've written it as his opinion instead of trying to look like he's plugged in and has some inside info.
Scott's "many" people most likely include John Rooke, Joe Hassett and a couple of his drinking buddies.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Scott's "many" people most likely include John Rooke, Joe Hassett and a couple of his drinking buddies.
If Scott was so pro-PC, why did he write a very negative piece about Cooley and his attitude in press conferences right after the Brown loss?

I agree that GoLocal is a joke full of mostly opinions and just about zero facts, but I don't buy that Scotty boy is pro-PC and anti-URI.

In fact, if anything he is pro-Brown. And his job is easier and more interesting if PC and URI are both good.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Billy,
that was like shooting fish in a barrel over there.
PC fans who know zero commenting on our program and
our coach.
One idiot even criticized his suit. I countered with, "At least he's in shape and doesn't wear
pajamas on his show".
Oh, the best one was, some dope saying letting Baron go was a big mistake.
Not the Facebook comments, but the Golocal comments.
I'm not Facebook friends with Scott, so I couldn't comment on his posts. I had to message him. Like I said, his responses to me insulted my intelligence.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
If Scott was so pro-PC, why did he write a very negative piece about Cooley and his attitude in press conferences right after the Brown loss?

I agree that GoLocal is a joke full of mostly opinions and just about zero facts, but I don't buy that Scotty boy is pro-PC and anti-URI.

In fact, if anything he is pro-Brown. And his job is easier and more interesting if PC and URI are both good.
Obviously, he's pro-Brown, as he receives a paycheck from them. I'm just curious to know how many times Scott has been to the Ryan Center this year, or the last 10 years, for that matter, as he claims to me that he is a URI fan.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I used to be a listener and caller on Scott's long running rqdio show.
He was always PC biased, with phony concessions to URI.
Granted, he knew his audience was 95% PC fans.
As Don Kaull reminded me, when he was co-hosting with Cordischi,
I was the sole Rhody caller.
Look, all the Syracuse guys, like Cordischi and KMac, are Big East fans,
and transitively, PC fans.
Billy, on Facebook, just go to GolocalProv.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:I used to be a listener and caller on Scott's long running rqdio show.
And as bad as Cordischi is, Rooke is much worse.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:I used to be a listener and caller on Scott's long running rqdio show.
And as bad as Cordischi is, Rooke is much worse.
As he should be, Rooke is a PC guy. He does radio, mcees functions, etc.

I began hating The Score towards the end, but I definitely miss local sports talk.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rooke is more understandable, though.
He's been around PC for decades.
His loyalty would naturally be with PC.
Cordischi feigns being a neutral, and isn't.
He also has no ties to PC, Rooke does.
The Score became a Frat Boys club, with Dolphin Paul, Jersey Dead
and all of Scott's buddies, dominating the show.
Then you had Gresh and Zo which was even worse and more obnoxious, with Gresh acting like he was
an all pro O lineman, instead of a bustout from URI's program.
When Zo said Shakira was ugly, I figured there was something wrong with him, as well.
It became more about them than sports.
When they started talking about Fantasy Golf, I stopped listening,
and a lot of others did, too,
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Rooke is more understandable, though.
He's been around PC for decades.
His loyalty would naturally be with PC.
Cordischi feigns being a neutral, and isn't.
He also has no ties to PC, Rooke does.
The Score became a Frat Boys club, with Dolphin Paul, Jersey Dead
and all of Scott's buddies, dominating the show.
Then you had Gresh and Zom which was even worse and more obnoxious, with Gresh acting like he was
an all pro O lineman, instead of a bustout from URI's program.
When Zo said Shakira was ugly, I figured there was something wrong with him, as well.
It became more about them than sports.
When they started talking about Fantasy Golf, I stopped listening,
and a lot of others did, too,
I agree Rod, it's amazing that The Sports Hub brought Gresh and Zo back together again.
I used to listen a ton in the mornings, but then when they brought in Amy, ohh that became intolerable.
It's amazing to me that she has been able to consistently land national media jobs, night jobs at ESPN and she has a weekend position with CBS now.

The Score during it's good run about the time before they came out with 99.7, I thought those were good days. I thought once they became "big-time," coincidentally around the time Scotty boy got busted with his female companion, they collapsed fast.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Amy is still unlistenable, and shrill. When she's on, I turn it off.
Cordischi is milking this crap for all it's worth.
Now he's got an indignant defense of his first pile of dung up on Golocal.
Then he's got Rich Coren agreeing with him.
I like Rich, but he's hardly unbiased.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Cordischi was a Baron fan, that's why his rogue "speculation" columns never put Baron on the hot seat until the very end.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Scott wrote: "Rod: By no means was it my intention to "taunt" URI fans. And I acknowledged in the beginning of the story how much Rhody fans are happy with Hurley and the job that he is done and the bright future of the program thanks to him. It is for those very reasons that URI fans like yourself and me want him to be here to see this thing through and deliver the Rams to the Tournament. That's why I said, "Sorry to rain on your parade, URI fans" because I know how much he is liked here and losing him after one year would hurt."
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Scott wrote: "Rod: By no means was it my intention to "taunt" URI fans. And I acknowledged in the beginning of the story how much Rhody fans are happy with Hurley and the job that he is done and the bright future of the program thanks to him. It is for those very reasons that URI fans like yourself and me want him to be here to see this thing through and deliver the Rams to the Tournament. That's why I said, "Sorry to rain on your parade, URI fans" because I know how much he is liked here and losing him after one year would hurt."
If Scottt were a URI fan as he says, shouldn't he have included himself and said...."sorry to rain on OUR parade"?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

[quote="hrstrat57"]Let's be crystal about 1 thing.

"The Ryan Center banging out 7K + every game with a top 20 team getting national press everyday is PC's ultimate nightmare. Friar roots run deep around these parts and the future of Friar ball is very much up in the air. We should expect a lot more of these made up stories in the next few months.

Hurley stays and URI will be strong, as early as next season. Heck, his team sitting on the sidelines right now could do major damage in the A10 or the future C 7 for that matter.

Again, attempts to knock the Ram train off the track are to be expected. URI has a first class facility on campus. Friars play in a dump downtown and look forward to playing in a league that doesn't even exist yet with a student body on campus that could care less about following the team or walking a few blocks to see it play.

I'd be scared too......"

Wow,

This is the biggest steaming pile of wishful thinking I've ever read...and that's saying something. The RC is nice; but it is light years away from being a 1st class facility. URI has a bright future on the sidelines? PC has a lottery pick waiting to play. Our roots are up in the air? Top 10 recruiting class last year. Top 50 guy this year. BE leading scorer as a junior coming back. Student apathy is an issue; but the kids arent exactly flocking to the RC either. The DDC isn't state of teh art; but it has a neew sound system and luxury boxes. It's good enough to host NCAA games. Pretty sure they aren't coming to Kingston. Don't worry about PC. We are just fine.

Take off your tin-foil hat and explain what the "attempts to knock the Ram train off the tracks are"
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Scott wrote: "Rod: By no means was it my intention to "taunt" URI fans. And I acknowledged in the beginning of the story how much Rhody fans are happy with Hurley and the job that he is done and the bright future of the program thanks to him. It is for those very reasons that URI fans like yourself and me want him to be here to see this thing through and deliver the Rams to the Tournament. That's why I said, "Sorry to rain on your parade, URI fans" because I know how much he is liked here and losing him after one year would hurt."
If Scottt were a URI fan as he says, shouldn't he have included himself and said...."sorry to rain on OUR parade"?
Read the article. He said he "is a fan of URI basketball"; not a URI fan. There is a difference.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Read the article. He said he "is a fan of URI basketball"; not a URI fan. There is a difference.
Sean, I think it's pretty clear that when saying he is a URI fan, either in this forum, or when discussing his recent article, that we are referring to URI basketball. I'm not sure what your point is.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

What a surprise: PC fans coming to the defense of Cordischi. Scott can say he's a fan of all the RI programs but his interest, in order, is in: 1. Brown. 2. PC. 3. URI with Bryant probably pushing URI now.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Trust me could care less if p c is fine .... Can't suffer enuff for me. The fact that p c fans feel a need to come on a URI hoops forum and stir up crap is proof positive that they are terrified of what Ram hoops is about to become. 7500 fans every night in an on campus arena pushing a good team to victory.

No luxury boxes tho shame.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Iggy, we shouldn't give a rat's ass who Cordischi likes. He's a hack. Hell, half of the Projo guys are hacks, and Cordischi can't even get a job with them. 3rd rate guy, he can love whoever he wants. We, as URI fans shouldn't care.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

No ones defending Corduschi.
You guys need to relax. You have a coach others covet. It's a good thing. Ignore BS articles. They will only drive you nuts
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

URIGONZO wrote:Iggy, we shouldn't give a rat's ass who Cordischi likes. He's a hack. Hell, half of the Projo guys are hacks, and Cordischi can't even get a job with them. 3rd rate guy, he can love whoever he wants. We, as URI fans shouldn't care.
We don't care who Cordischi likes. He has a right to like whatever teams he wants. It's that Rod and I both confronted him(if that's what you call it when talking on Facebook...) about his intentions of the article. He denies everything of which we are accusing him and actually told me he is a fan of URI basketball. Just don't lie to me, that's all I'm asking.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

You guys understand the difference between being a fan of uri hoops and being a uri hoops fan, right?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:You guys understand the difference between being a fan of uri hoops and being a uri hoops fan, right?
I'm guessing you're going to explain, so feel free.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

How many credits do I get from attending this course?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:By the way...I hear Cooley is headed to Bryant.
Bulldogs already have a real good coach and he's a pretty good recruiter too as we should recall.....

Go Bulldogs! Big game tonight playing for the flag!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Did Scottso call you guys paranoid? That's what he called URI fans on his radio sports (golf) show.
He used to drive me cray when he spent time on the air talking about "his" golf game. I should have called in to talk about my day in the dojo. It's about as interesting to listeners.
0 x