Frank Keaney

Re: Geno Auriemma and the Lady Huskies of Uconn

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Congrats to the Lady Huskies. and Geno.
A remarkable feat, in any sport.
As I've said before, any guy who can get 13 women to
work together for as many years as he has,
is truly a miracle worker.
Imagine, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year.
He has a great transfer from Duke coming in, and the best prep player.
Wonder how long this streak can go?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Considering the sport has no depth and he has literally every advantage, the answer is forever.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I guess the question is...WHY does he have literally every advantage? And how did he get that advantage?
Better facilities than anyone else? No. Better weather? No. Better school location to attract kids? No.
Other than, "they keep winning", what's the attraction? Why do they keep winning?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Well in fairness, that's a huge advantage. Winning breeds winning. Lots of people are frontrunners and would prefer to go where they know they'll win then where they'd have to build something. You see that all the time in college athletics in all sports and you're seeing it more and more in the NBA with the creation of superteams.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Well in fairness, that's a huge advantage. Winning breeds winning. Lots of people are frontrunners and would prefer to go where they know they'll win then where they'd have to build something. You see that all the time in college athletics in all sports and you're seeing it more and more in the NBA with the creation of superteams.
Totally agree, but...how'd all that winning get started in the first place?
Too lazy to look it up, but am guessing Geno had something to do with it...

On second thought, while I am lazy, it was pretty easy...

After just one winning season in 10 years under coaches Sandra Hamm (1974–75), Wanda Flora (1975–80) and Jean Balthaser (1980–85), UConn hired as their new head coach the Italian-born Geno Auriemma, who had served as assistant coach at Virginia, with the goal of revitalizing the program.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Absolutely, he gets all the credit in the world for that. But right now, in such a shallow sport it's just a case of the train keeps rolling. The UConn AD had one of the best year plus runs, hiring Auriemma for the 85 season and Calhoun for the 86 season.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

a great one two, indeed
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The magic programs used to be Tennessee and Louisiana Tech. He made UCONN dominating women's college basketball like nothing anyone has seen since John Wooden at UCLA. And to thing one of the best players he missed out on was when Elena Della Dunne returned back to Delaware from UCONN to play volleyball at U of Delaware and ultimately basketball again.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Della Donne went home to help care for her sister.
Gino said if she'd stayed at UConn, they may not have lost
a single game with her in the cast of players he had
at the time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They almost lost tonight.......turnovers and missed FT's.........poor shooting.......

Were they watching us against Fordham?

If I had to guess, the worst game they've played since their streak started.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rodfromcranston wrote: Wonder how long this streak can go?
Is there a point where it goes from impressive to game-killing?

Geno is a great coach, but likely will never get the credit he deserves because of the lack of depth in the sport. In the 4th quarter of the 100th win, the announcers are talking about with his great recruiting class (4 5-star players, 1, 14, 29, and 37), and the addition of Williams from Duke (averaged 16 & 9 as a sophomore), they could easily go on a run to 200 wins. They'll lose 1 senior from their starting lineup (Saniya Chong), but simply input the 6th woman (freshman Crystal Dangerfield) into her spot, Dangerfield was the #3 recruit last year.

If people are talking like that, then there is a flaw in the sport that needs to be addressed. The fact that it's "ho hum 200 wins is a very real possibility" does not reflect well, regardless of how good a coach is. It's too bad, because women's basketball is amazing on the eyes when played at a high-level, but watching a UCONN game is like being forced to watch a WWF jobber match over and over and over again. You keep waiting for someone to finally go over, but the wrestler just keeps getting stronger and stronger, and eventually you just stop watching because the outcome is never in doubt.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

66, yeah if they don't lose in the FF of this year's NCAA's......200 is a very real possibility.

This year's team isn't close to last year's....but their top competition [if you can call it that] isn't as strong as last's year's either.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:

Geno is a great coach, but likely will never get the credit he deserves because of the lack of depth in the sport. In the 4th quarter of the 100th win, the announcers are talking about with his great recruiting class (4 5-star players, 1, 14, 29, and 37), and the addition of Williams from Duke (averaged 16 & 9 as a sophomore), they could easily go on a run to 200 wins. They'll lose 1 senior from their starting lineup (Saniya Chong), but simply input the 6th woman (freshman Crystal Dangerfield) into her spot, Dangerfield was the #3 recruit last year.

If people are talking like that, then there is a flaw in the sport that needs to be addressed. The fact that it's "ho hum 200 wins is a very real possibility" does not reflect well, regardless of how good a coach is. It's too bad, because women's basketball is amazing on the eyes when played at a high-level, but watching a UCONN game is like being forced to watch a WWF jobber match over and over and over again. You keep waiting for someone to finally go over, but the wrestler just keeps getting stronger and stronger, and eventually you just stop watching because the outcome is never in doubt.
It's a shame really...the "flaw in the sport that needs to be addressed" is: the guy came in and won so much that, good players wanted to go there...they did, they still do, and he keeps winning. What a travesty...I mean...who'd want that? (Besides "everybody"?)
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I've always thought it's a money thing. Geno can be the one big fish in the pond for as long as he wants, as long as there isn't a huge ton of money flowing into women's basketball. Per a 2012 NY Times article, the average salary for a women's coach is $96k, vs. $267k for men's: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/sport ... aches.html - Obviously, women's basketball is a lower revenue sport too, so there is less chance to grow your salary, or to take on outside gigs.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

It's a shame really...the "flaw in the sport that needs to be addressed" is: the guy came in and won so much that, good players wanted to go there...they did, they still do, and he keeps winning. What a travesty...I mean...who'd want that? (Besides "everybody"?)
I'm not blaming Geno for that ... But in the men's game, there are plenty of coaches who have built up a huge reputation and kids want to go there ... Duke with Coach K, UNC with Coach Williams, Kentucky with Coach Calipari, Kansas with Coach Self, etc. However, even in their best years, they all tend to lose a few games, and are tested in a few others. None of them simply streamroll their way through a season. A lot of that is player turnover, which helps create balance and DOES NOT exist in the women's game for various reasons, professional pay is a flaw in the women's system that again is no one's fault. Regardless, I do believe the WNBA does have a 4 year restriction. I'm not sure on foreign leagues where the real money is. Who can fix it? ESPN is the only one with pockets to give the WNBA more money that they could argue gets passed on to the players ... Maybe it means women stay home versus having to play year-round to make a good income. Would also make their college product better. But what is the TV-base? ESPN's not going to pay if it means losing money which I guess would happen.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Katie-Lou Samuelson just hit 10-10 3 pointers to set an
NCAA record.
She scored 40 points in 28 minutes.
Won the MVP for the AAC tournament.
When she left the game, she'd outscored USF 40-32.
An incredible performance in UConn's 106th straight.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sick.

Now they have 107 in a row.....they will get to 110 before they play anybody any good......that's the Elite Eight.......3 more after that and nobody will beat them for years to come......

Heard a rumor earlier today....that when PC was last looking for a new coach, they were close to hiring Geno......would that have been something if true?

Never thought he ever had any interest in coaching the men's game.......of course who really knows.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mississippi State upsets UCONN in OT in Final 4
Mississippi State will play South Carolina in an all SEC Championship Game
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Had to happen sometime.....if not in this FF then who knows when with the team they will have next season.

They lost due to FT's....who woulda thunk it?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

First 12 seconds of women's basketball I've watched in 15 years we're the glorious last 12 seconds of OT of this game. Nobody loses less, but nobody deserves to lose more.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, shut the hell up.
111 wins in a row, and you come here with this
baby ass shit?
You belong on the PC board with the UConn haters.
They're all giddy tonight over this.
By the way, UConn practices daily against an all men's
team, and beats the tar out of them.
Watch the HBO series on UConn.
You might learn something.
They missed 8 free throws. Record setting 3 point shooting,
All American, Katie-Lou Samuelson, seemed content
to hang in the right corner most of the game.
UConn's weakness is inside. They got 6 offensive rebounds.
Huskies made some uncharacteristic mistakes, all night.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I honestly don't care at all about what sport it is. If a team wins 111 games, whether it is football, basketball, badminton, billiards, bowling...its a waste of everyone's time and evidence that the sport is not regulated properly. It's not really a "sport" at all, if sport is supposed to be a legitimate competition. So I root against that on principle. It could be UConn or anyone else, makes no difference to me.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Not regulated properly"? Meaning what, exactly?
Did you know Auriemma leaves three scholarships open?
He doesn't like to play more than seven players.
As far as I know, everyone is playing by the same set of rules.
Like Bill Belichick, Geno has figured out those rules to benefit
his team, when everyone else hasn't.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

TruePoint wrote:First 12 seconds of women's basketball I've watched in 15 years we're the glorious last 12 seconds of OT of this game. Nobody loses less, but nobody deserves to lose more.
I'm loathe to agree with Rod but he's kinda right man, this is pure Haterade. UConn women have rocked it hard and while this was an epic loss to watch, they are a pretty epic squad and it's hard to see how they "deserve to lose"...

...aw hell if I'm honest what I'm probably more upset about is TP's use of "we're". That's the kind of shoddy grammar I'd expect from the illiterate admin of a PC board, not a learned Rhode Island man.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Loathe to agree with Rod"?
Hell, I didn't know my ex wife is on
Keaney Blue!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Puck Frovidence wrote:
TruePoint wrote:First 12 seconds of women's basketball I've watched in 15 years we're the glorious last 12 seconds of OT of this game. Nobody loses less, but nobody deserves to lose more.
I'm loathe to agree with Rod but he's kinda right man, this is pure Haterade. UConn women have rocked it hard and while this was an epic loss to watch, they are a pretty epic squad and it's hard to see how they "deserve to lose"...

...aw hell if I'm honest what I'm probably more upset about is TP's use of "we're". That's the kind of shoddy grammar I'd expect from the illiterate admin of a PC board, not a learned Rhode Island man.
Autocorrect, friend.

I don't care if they follow the rules or not. What is the point of even playing if you know the result before the game is played? It isn't impressive to win if you can't lose.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Shows what women's game played with TWO teams at a high-level can look like ... I know the interest in the game was UCONN losing, and heck it was for me too, but if more women's games were like that one, than it would be worth the time on a consistent basis.

The only reason I even watched this game was because my fiancé was driving home from work and wanted to talk on the phone, I didn't want to invest in anything meaningful that I would turn off so I ended up there before tip, quickly became interested due to the fact Miss St got that big lead, and was suckered in for the rest of the game. And honestly, I'm glad it worked out that way. I miss fundamental basketball.
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

TruePoint wrote:I don't care if they follow the rules or not. What is the point of even playing if you know the result before the game is played? It isn't impressive to win if you can't lose.
I mean Shaughnessy said it too and it's hard to argue against the idea that UConn's absolute domination of the sport probably comes at the expense of viewers and just general... excitement. Women's bball will certainly be much more interesting when the field is more open. But it's still amazing what they accomplished and it's pretty dope that one of if not the most dominant teams in the history of American sports came from a non-P5 school right here in New England. I'd love for a Rhode Island women's team to bang out a quarter of the seats in the RC, not to mention rock straight sell outs on a regular basis.

Autocorrect is like Benjamin Franklin... they're both somehow involved with electricity and they're both the devil.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

rodfromcranston wrote:"Loathe to agree with Rod"?
Hell, I didn't know my ex wife is on
Keaney Blue!

I think your ex-wife might be Keaney Blue's spirit animal Rod-man.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Geno said post game that maybe his team wasn't mature enough for the moment......I say they weren't used to playing a close game right to the end.

Taking a shot with over 12 seconds left when they could have held the ball longer and thus not giving the opponent enough time to get a shot off and at least ensure a 2nd overtime.....yes that was dumb.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That shot by Chong, of all people, was a killer.
Out of control, with plenty of time on the clock.
Didn't even get the shot off.
Just what Geno spoke of during the game,
when he said, "players trying to go one on one,
lead to stagnant offense".
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SC wins it by 12....watched most of the game.....Miss.St. just not that good.....UConn blew it....very uncharacteristic for them.

Next year, they might as well not bother to play the tournament.....just hand the trophy back to UConn....they will likely start another LONG winning streak.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Another all-timer featuring UCONN, facing Cincinnati in the AAC semi-finals.

After Cincinnati hit a 3 to cut the score to 9-5 with 4:40 left in the 1st quarter, the score after 1 was 17-5, the score at the half was 43-5, and the score after 3 was 66-11.

Competitive basketball at its finest.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hard to take women's BB seriously when all 4 no.1 seeds make the FF.

Might as well hand the trophy to UConn...they play like they did against SC and it won't be close.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:Hard to take women's BB seriously when all 4 no.1 seeds make the FF.

Might as well hand the trophy to UConn...they play like they did against SC and it won't be close.
One of the women's basketball analysts wrote an article last week about how UCONN women's basketball is no different than Duke/Kentucky, Alabama football, the Patriots, Golden St., etc., and how because those are dominant men's teams we celebrate them versus UCONN women's basketball who are vilified. Clearly cannot be in touch with actual sports, as those teams (with maybe the exception of GS), are very hated in the sports world. The difference is that those schools actually lose -- Alabama football more of the exception, but even they don't win every year, and at least usually face a few tests along the way. UCONN women just won their conference tournament by an average of 32 points, and their average MOV in the 4 NCAA Tournament games is 39 points per game (they won their first round game by 88 points!!). Even if you take that out, they won their Round of 32, Sweet 16, and Elite 8 games by 22 points on average. People sure want them to lose, I'd argue that's the same reason people also watch Duke, Kentucky, Alabama, Golden St., or the Patriots. The difference is those teams actually have a chance to lose, so people are more likely to tune in. Whose sticking around watching a UCONN women's game unless it's close in the 2nd half? Answer: Not many.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The other difference, and it is related to what you pointed out, is that there is competition not just on the field or court for Alabama, Duke, GS, Patriots, etc., but also in the market for players. The Patriots have to contend with a hard cap; the Warriors have a cap, and to the extent they are hated a lot of that stems from outrage over how they have manipulated the spirit of the cap by assembling an all-NBA team; Duke and Kentucky and Alabama not only have competition for players (even though they do dominate recruiting), there are just so many MORE good players that inevitably guys they can't take will develop past some of the guys they do take. For UConn, Geno gets whatever players he wants - they may not be the top "ranked" players, but whoever he targets, he gets with very few exceptions. And there aren't enough good players overall that enough of them can accumulate anywhere to pose a serious threat.

I'm not even mad at Geno or UConn. I don't care about women's basketball in the first place. But objectively, having no competition makes the sport not only boring but also kind of a sham. It is more or less the Harlem Globetrotters in that everyone knows going in who is going to win and if you're going to find any value in it, it will be in how thoroughly the one team embarrasses the other team. Not really my bag, men or women, basketball or badminton.
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

TruePoint wrote:The other difference, and it is related to what you pointed out, is that there is competition not just on the field or court for Alabama, Duke, GS, Patriots, etc., but also in the market for players. The Patriots have to contend with a hard cap; the Warriors have a cap, and to the extent they are hated a lot of that stems from outrage over how they have manipulated the spirit of the cap by assembling an all-NBA team; Duke and Kentucky and Alabama not only have competition for players (even though they do dominate recruiting), there are just so many MORE good players that inevitably guys they can't take will develop past some of the guys they do take. For UConn, Geno gets whatever players he wants - they may not be the top "ranked" players, but whoever he targets, he gets with very few exceptions. And there aren't enough good players overall that enough of them can accumulate anywhere to pose a serious threat.

I'm not even mad at Geno or UConn. I don't care about women's basketball in the first place. But objectively, having no competition makes the sport not only boring but also kind of a sham. It is more or less the Harlem Globetrotters in that everyone knows going in who is going to win and if you're going to find any value in it, it will be in how thoroughly the one team embarrasses the other team. Not really my bag, men or women, basketball or badminton.

Yep and he knows it, and it drives him slightly crazy I think. There's an excellent article this week on ESPNW about Geno and how basically he's like constantly on the verge of these nervous breakdowns because the only way for them to have a "successful" season is by going undefeated and winning a natty. The guy knows he has to live up to his own hype in women's college hoops, but he never moved on to the next level so now he's stuck in a loop.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Hard to take women's BB seriously when all 4 no.1 seeds make the FF.

Or, maybe their 'committee' just does a better job selecting and seeding?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's a huge talent gap between the top few teams and the rest in women's BB.

Only a few programs have quality depth...and UConn may not have the best individual player, but they've got more very good players then anybody else.

A team like SC has one outstanding player...and not much else, although they've had defections to the WNBA, and ND has had multiple injuries.

ND will give UConn a battle, they always do, but lose....and if UConn plays Louisville, they will squash them like a bug.

And there will be a revenge factor if the Huskies play MissSt.......no contest.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

But Men's Basketball has the Quadrant System - it can't be wrong
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Quadrant system based on RPI...a metric they've said they don't emphasize that much anymore.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense....but then again, what does anymore?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

But Men's Basketball has the Quadrant System - it can't be wrong
Seriously, I'm thinking if I'm on a committee that gets all its 1's to the final four and maybe has all 1s, 2, 3s in the regionals...=> we nailed it.
But, I'm not on a committee, nor am I watching women's hoops (no offense lady hoopsters), and I have to say among the gnarliest things about the men's tournament is the sheer unpredictability and possibility of it all...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Massive difference between say a 1 and a 5 seed in women's hoops....way bigger than the same in men's....

There will be some upsets among the lower seeds, but not very often at the top.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYG, the problem is with the system, has nothing to do with the committee.Women's players have to be 4 years removed from HS to play professionally. Therefore, all college athletes are guaranteed to play for four years, unless they transfer/redshirt where they could go pro after 3 collegiate years.

The same thing would likely exist (although likely not as significant due to the bigger pool of talented players) if men's players had to stay in school for four years. Duke still wins 28+ games per year, basically reloading every season, same with Kentucky, etc. Imagine if their roster was something like:

Guards: Tyus Jones (SR), Grayson Allen (SR), Luke Kennard (JR), Gary Trent (FR), Trevon Duval (FR)
Forwards: Justise Winslow (SR), Brandon Ingram (JR), Jayson Tatum (SO), Harry Giles (SO), Marvin Bagley (FR), Wendell Carter (FR)
Center: Jahlil Okafor (SR)

And while some of those players might not commit due to lineup congestion, that is essentially what is happening in the women's game. Someone like Coach Geno recruits exactly who he wants, and if they are dominate, they stay for their 4 years, no questions asked. And then all of those women, they are backed up by Top 10 recruits, just waiting their turn.

If UCONN was forced to "reload" every year like their male counterparts, the level of dominance would be significantly less -- Because in the men's game, there is something to be said for "senior leadership." A team of experienced upperclassmen with some talent can compete with the athletic, physically dominant freshmen from a mental standpoint.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Understood, but, I'm not watching it enough to see, or care about, a 'problem'... just saying, "looks like" the committee gets it right, or it's predictable or both...don't really care enough to try to tease out the difference...and if I were on the committee, I'd be saying, "nailed it!" :lol: :lol:
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Uconn women is a double-edged sword for women's basketball. What that program has done is absolutely insane in terms of success, but how in GODS name can there be such a huge gap? In the NCAA tourney so far, they beat a 2 seed by 29, a 9 seed by 25, a 5 seed by 13 (wow close) and the 16 seed by 88, yes 88 points. Gino is a great coach, but this just doesn't compute.
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Watched almost all of the second half plus OT of UConn/Notre Dame last night. Probably more women's hoops than I've watched cobined the last couple years...but, was actually a pretty exciting finish.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well I knew ND would give them a good game....just didn't think they would win.

UConn is hurt by hardly ever playing close games.....when they do, they don't always finish well.

No practice at them.

Oh well, they have another huge class coming in.....fast forward to next year's FF.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Thought they finished pretty well last night...end of regulation, down 5 with 21 seconds and they tied it to send it to OT...
OT was pretty back n forth and the ND player hit a shot with 1 second left to win it. Notre Dame just happened to be as good that night.

Oh well...weep not for UConn...gonna go out on a limb and suggest they bounce back ok next year.

Interesting...last 10 years...The Huskies are 15-7 against ND and 355-6 against everybody else.

Same....that concludes my women's hoop interest for at least a year...
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

My wife's a huge women Huskies fan so I lived it through her last night. Some of these Husky fans, much like when us Pats fans go through a Super Bowl loss, will be all angry and not appreciate what they have. We saw that UConn level of entitlement through the Hurley process.

They played in a handful of "close" games but were not truly threatened like the game last night. This despite playing the strongest non-con schedule possible during the season. Just not enough wealth spread around the sport...
0 x