Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Unread post by adam914 »

Feels like it's time to move on to LaSalle. The Explorers come in to the Ryan Center with a 2-1 record in conference and 8-5 overall. They lost at Dayton by 11 and then beat St. Louis and Duquesne at home in their last two games. They are led in scoring by 6'7" junior B.J Johnson (19.1 PPG) who is in his first year with LaSalle after transferring from Syracuse. He is also their leading rebounder, so clearly he'll be someone we need to focus on. And I am sure most of us are pretty familiar with Jordan Price (17.2 PPG) already as well.

In good news for URI, it has already been reported that both Hassan and Thompson will play Thursday.

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 16: LaSalle Thursday Jan 12 @ 7pm CBS Sports Network

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Very different team than last year La Salle is. A real Dark Horse.
We've been able to shut down Jordan Price in the past, but now he's got a lot of weapons around him. This could be pretty tough.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

At some point someone is going to have to get an explanation from Hurley as to why Hassan was chained to the bench down the stretch at Dayton if he is already back to feeling well enough to play. I thought it would eventually come out that he was near death or was going to have his leg amputated, because I literally cannot think of another reason why you would have your most important player sitting next to you while you watched your opponent erase your lead and build one of their own in the single most important game on your schedule as far as your tournament resume is concerned.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:At some point someone is going to have to get an explanation from Hurley as to why Hassan was chained to the bench down the stretch at Dayton if he is already back to feeling well enough to play. I thought it would eventually come out that he was near death or was going to have his leg amputated, because I literally cannot think of another reason why you would have your most important player sitting next to you while you watched your opponent erase your lead and build one of their own in the single most important game on your schedule as far as your tournament resume is concerned.
Protecting him. But if the doctors say he's fully healed and cleared to play, I think there's no excuse for having him sit. Dan said Hass was a shell of himself. I'll take a shell of Hass over any other big we have.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Dan knows that if we lose Hassan for any long stretch....we're done.......so he wanted to make sure he hadn't hurt himself again, or if he had, not to make it worse.......

In retrospect, it could have cost us the game though. Doesn't seem to matter, we never get any breaks however it works out.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I get protecting him by managing his minutes overall, but did he just forget to save a few minutes for him in the last quarter of the game? That seem unconscionable to me.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:I get protecting him by managing his minutes overall, but did he just forget to save a few minutes for him in the last quarter of the game? That seem unconscionable to me.
I don't think thats it at all, I think it was more of just a decision that was made on the fly based on how Hassan looked out there.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Dan thought early on that Hassan could make it thru to the end since he was playing fairly well, but then started to drag in the 2nd half.....

Anyway, it was unfortunate...and it's over with.....hindsight is always 20-20.....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rambone is sticking up for Dan? What's up with that?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I get protecting him by managing his minutes overall, but did he just forget to save a few minutes for him in the last quarter of the game? That seem unconscionable to me.
I don't think thats it at all, I think it was more of just a decision that was made on the fly based on how Hassan looked out there.
Well, I don't buy that because we were winning the game for the entire part of it when Hassan was a participant. When he came out, the game slipped through our fingers. I didn't see anything from Hassan or the team with Hassan on the floor that made me think we might be better without him on the floor.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hey Billyboy, yes I can stick up for Dan.......when I think he did the right thing......like it or not......

It was just bad luck about Hassan......and of course bad luck for us. Some century our luck will turn.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep I'm still w TP on this one - essentially we left a potential signature win on the table due largely to a HC decision.

Doubt we will ever know the whole story .....

My 15-3 quest continues Thursday.

Crush the explorers - Go Rhody

15-3 YES

(16-2 even better!!!)
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Well, I don't buy that because we were winning the game for the entire part of it when Hassan was a participant. When he came out, the game slipped through our fingers. I didn't see anything from Hassan or the team with Hassan on the floor that made me think we might be better without him on the floor.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ok good. That's all I wanted was for him to address it. Although it still isn't clear if sitting him was a reaction to him tweaking something during the game or was merely precautionary. If they were managing him I'd have liked to see them manage that a little better from the start of the game.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah Dan went into detail in the coaches show about it. Said he was a little fatigued and he wasn't moving right and felt he was just a shell of himself out there, so he put someone else in.
Really hoping to see a much healthier Hassan against La Salle. Would hate for this thing to linger the whole year
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My only issue was not putting Cyril in...yeah he's a freshmen and he was getting schooled by Pollard when he was in, but he could have helped at least a little on defense when Smith drove past JG over and over.....

I think Hassan will be OK fairly soon. Just have to get back in game shape.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will go Uri 72-61 back to the winning ways
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yes, if we never go four guards again that will be too soon for me!
If anyone, coach, player or fan tries to justify such non-sense they are towing the line. If we can't put at least two forwards on the court at crunch time something is very wrong, it's not like I'm even asking for two forwards and a center anymore, just two forwards would be nice.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

If Hassan was "just a shell of himself", what was Jarvis? Like Billy said, Hassan being just a shell is better than anyone else we have up front. So, if in Dan's opinion Hassan was "a shell", what was his excuse then for keeping Jarvis out there when he was clearly having one of the worse nights of his career?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It also doesn't square with what I observed during the game. As I said before, we beat them handily for the part of the game Hassan played in and lost the part of the game that he sat. And if he ran out of gas at the end of his time on the floor and it escaped my observation (totally possible), then his minutes were mismanaged not only early in the Dayton game but in the Joe's game as well.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, TP. If Dan says Hassan is going to play no more than 20-25 minutes, then Dan needs to make sure some of those minutes are at the end of the game......at least in a situation like the Dayton game where he knows it will be close at the end.

Maybe he hoped Hassan would be OK at the end...but he wasn't.....so it didn't end well.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I fully expect URI will crush the explorers to jumpstart a great run.....

Arch enemy B rolls in Sunday.... easy to get up for that one Pats not playing let's show up in numbers!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
josephski
Tom Garrick

It will be interesting to see how the minutes play out among our guards with CT back. I wonder if Hurley will go back to Dowtin getting the least amount of minutes of our guards or if he could possibly jump ahead of CT.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I would like to think Dowtins minutes stay the same to get some offense, but most likely DH will go to CT first, unless his being in game speed/shape is not there from the lay off....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Make sure that Robinson gets his minutes!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

neil wrote:Make sure that Robinson gets his minutes!
Of course, I've stated many times that SR should start in place of JG, but most likely not gonna happen....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Back to the Ryan Center where we are a perfect 8-0!

La Salle is 8-5 overall and 2-1 in the A10. They've won two in a row beating both St. Louis and Duquesne at home. Their best wins are against Bucknell and Florida Gulf Coast. They played pretty well at Dayton a couple of weeks ago losing 66-55.

La Salle has a top-40 offense in the country. They can really score the basketball. Dayton is the only team to hold them under 70 points this season. They've scored 80 or more points in 7 of their 13 games. They're a good shooting team, they take care of the basketball, and they are also one of the best FT shooting teams in the country at 76.3%.

So why are they 8-5 then?

Their defense is terrible. As in bottom 100 in D1. Out of all of our opponents, only Dartmouth, Marist, and Brown have statistically worse defenses than La Salle. Opposing teams 2pt FG% against them is over 50% and 3pt FG% is at over 40%. Look for us to continue our streak of 10 or more 3-pointers in a game. We should be able to score on these guys with ease.

Our goal should be to put up at least 80 points on them and keep them somewhere in the 60s.

Here are your likely starters:
#20 BJ JOHNSON 6’7 200 Redshirt Junior G/F
#21 Jordan PRICE 6’5 220 Redshirt Senior G
#0 Pookie POWELL 6’0 185 Redshirt Sophomore G
#24 Demetrius HENRY 6’9 225 Redshirt Junior C
#2 Amar STUKES 6'2 195 Redshirt Junior G

La Salle Stats:
lasalle.png
BJ Johnson (19.2 ppg and 6.4 rebs), Jordan Price (17.2 ppg) and Pookie Powell (13.8 ppg) are the guys to watch.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Nothing to add there RJ well scouted. We should be up 25-30 on explorers at some point.

Cruise into Massachusetts grudge match....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote:
neil wrote:Make sure that Robinson gets his minutes!
Of course, I've stated many times that SR should start in place of JG, but most likely not gonna happen....
I would love to see Stan starting with Terrell and EC but as you said, probably not gonna happen. At the very least I'd like to see Stan get similar minutes to Jarvis or Hurley takes it game by game and plays whoever looks better more minutes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It will be interesting to see how many minutes CT gets
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote:It will be interesting to see how many minutes CT gets
This is a game that you want to give your best defenders significant minutes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stan end up with more minutes than Jarvis. CT will probably be on a pitch count, but he's another strong defender.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....critical game in the A-10 schedule, hold home court advantage, make more than average stat free throws, get someone off the bench for double figure points, stay out of foul trouble, out rebound them.....TBC of these keys to game at home....get Jarvis back on track.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Current line is URI -11. I think we can beat that, especially at home and with a full line-up.
0 x
GO RAMS
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

section(105) wrote:.....critical game in the A-10 schedule, hold home court advantage, make more than average stat free throws, get someone off the bench for double figure points, stay out of foul trouble, out rebound them.....TBC of these keys to game at home....get Jarvis back on track.....
I'd be a little nervous if this was a road game but I think Rhody holds serve pretty easily here. LaSalle is bad defensively. They need like a 13 for 27 type night from three to be in the game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Today's Game includes 4 Players who were in ESPN Top 100 of 2013:
#33 Kuran Iverson SF URI - transferred from Memphis
#82 B.J. Johnson SF LaSalle - transferred from Syracuse
#95 Pookie Powell PG LaSalle - transferred from Memphis
#99 Stanford Robinson SF URI - transferred from Indiana

Two other players of note that were ranked in the bottom of the Top 100 in 2013:
#92 Josh Hart SF Villanova
#97 Kyle Washington Cincinnati - transferred from NC State

URI needs to avoid fouling an excessive amount since LaSalle leads the A10 in FT Shooting efficiency
Two of their best are Johnson and Powell
Powell is 15-15 in A10 and 44-48 for 91.7% overall
Johnson is 6-7 in A10 and 55-64 for 86% overall
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Those jerseys are PERFECT, can't we use those as away jerseys??
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote:Today's Game includes 4 Players who were in ESPN Top 100 of 2013:

Two other players of note that were ranked in the bottom of the Top 100 in 2013:
These recruiting rankings really get me. How do you tell the difference between No. 100 (a TOP-100 PLAYER!!!!!!!) and No. 101 (not a top-100 player).
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
ramster wrote:Today's Game includes 4 Players who were in ESPN Top 100 of 2013:

These recruiting rankings really get me. How do you tell the difference between No. 100 (a TOP-100 PLAYER!!!!!!!) and No. 101 (not a top-100 player).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know,
but it does give an idea of the talent level that the A10 is able to attract, even if it is after the transfer route as with these 4 guys. Maybe it helps a League like the A10 to get players to come to A10 Schools in the first place, instead of falling for the "Bright Lights" of the P5 and BE.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Those jerseys are PERFECT, can't we use those as away jerseys??
Agree the dark blues are sick
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How can Hurley POSSIBLY say this will be "our toughest defensive challenge?"

Last I checked we played Duke, with multiple All Americans, and Cincy who had better offensive players.
0 x
Go Rhody
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:How can Hurley POSSIBLY say this will be "our toughest defensive challenge?"

Last I checked we played Duke, with multiple All Americans, and Cincy who had better offensive players.
I thought he said other than Duke it will be our biggest defensive challenge. Technically, La Salle is the 3rd best offense we will face this season. Only Duke and Houston have better offenses statistically. Cincinnati and Bona are 4th and 5th after La Salle.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote:How can Hurley POSSIBLY say this will be "our toughest defensive challenge?"

"Outside of the Duke game (a 75-65 loss Nov. 20), probably the best offensive team we've played in terms of the talent up and down the roster," Hurley said. "
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice to hear that they continue to work hard on end game situations.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I actually like hearing coaches describe their next opponent as their toughest opponent. It's very
Patriot-ish.
It shows that they're not underestimating the team. Th difficult thing is to get the team to buy into it.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote:

"Outside of the Duke game (a 75-65 loss Nov. 20), probably the best offensive team we've played in terms of the talent up and down the roster," Hurley said. "

Here's the full quote.

"Outside of the Duke game (a 75-65 loss Nov. 20), probably the best offensive team we've played in terms of the talent up and down the roster," Hurley said. "Averaging over 80 points a game. Shooting all over the place, 1-on-1 players, able to space the court - it will be our toughest defensive challenge."
0 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Here's the full quote.

"Outside of the Duke game (a 75-65 loss Nov. 20), probably the best offensive team we've played in terms of the talent up and down the roster," Hurley said. "Averaging over 80 points a game. Shooting all over the place, 1-on-1 players, able to space the court - it will be our toughest defensive challenge."
Right, he said "outside of Duke". What in the rest of the quote changed that?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I interpreted it as the first sentence he was only referring to Duke when he said "probably the best offensive team we've played in terms of the talent up and down the roster."
0 x
Go Rhody
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

An appropriate action pic of Jarvis Garrett dribbling... and dribbling... and more dribbling.
0 x