Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Does URI get selected for NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 64

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's right, GBG......the players change, the talent level changes....the problems stay the same.....

It's coaching folks.....
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

GBG, in years 1 and 2 especially you were all over Dan regarding our offensive strategies and play calling. And specifically cited our Adj-Offensive numbers and other metrics. Curious how our metrics look this year and if in fact there is data to support the offense has improved? Dont we have a Top 50 Adjusted-O right now? Wasn't that something you always asked for -- i think verbatim "is it too much to ask for a Top 50 offensive team". I dont subscribe to KenPom so I am not sure where we stand, honest question here...
2 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

We currently are ranked #38 in Adjusted Offense Efficiency this year.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Thanks. I was wondering why that stat wasn't being used anymore, doesn't fit the narrative. Fake news baby!!
3 x
FroggyTheFan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by FroggyTheFan »

I voted yes. URI runs the table. This is undoubtedly blind optimism, but who's to say there is something wrong with that? I'll believe it until they lose.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

An optimist on a Fan Message Board - what!!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Gonebarongone wrote:
It was a bad pass not even intended for him that bounced over and he had like three seconds to do something
Just the way McKillop drew it up!!!

I wish we had a coach that could figure out how to draw up plays designed to break down and go wrong but end up having the ball bounce fortuitously for us.

I'm serious, I wish we could be luckier. That's really what we are talking about here.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sometimes we are unlucky...I'll agree with that.......but it's not all luck or lack of it.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:GBG, in years 1 and 2 especially you were all over Dan regarding our offensive strategies and play calling. And specifically cited our Adj-Offensive numbers and other metrics. Curious how our metrics look this year and if in fact there is data to support the offense has improved? Dont we have a Top 50 Adjusted-O right now? Wasn't that something you always asked for -- i think verbatim "is it too much to ask for a Top 50 offensive team". I dont subscribe to KenPom so I am not sure where we stand, honest question here...
Yeah...they are a much better offensive team. I think because they have overwhelming talent on offense. And that's because Hurley recruited those guys. Hat tip to him. I think they run away and hide from mediocre teams but still struggle in the big games. And certainly at the end. In the five losses, they had 77 points on 67 possessions which is good against Houston. 65 on 65 against Duke (not good), 62 on 67 against Valpo, 60 on 62 against PC, and 64 on 66 against UD. And then games like 90 points on 67 against SLU and 88/69 against SJU. I think the common theme in my posts over 5 years is simply lack of a creative offense. They rank #200 in assists per FG made. They have guys who can beat you off the dribble and finish all over. The issue has never been talent. I say that again and again. But, it's harder to do that type of style against equal or better teams.
If you are some and believe it's just bad luck that they lose close games, well, we won't agree. The sample size is too big and our eyes tell us something else. If you want to have an honest conversation about it. You start eliminating the reasons URI loses games and hasn't flourished. Is it talent? I don't think so. Is it experience? Probably not? Is it a gag factor by the players? Maybe...but this seems to happen with every team. You are left with very few legitimate reasons. I think the offense installed and run along with horrible end game management is the reason. But, other than luck, I would love to hear another side to the argument.
So, yep, the have an efficient offense. But, if you peel back the layers, I think there are still problems.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What does it matter if we have an "efficient" offense yet lose the close games? Numbers don't tell us everything....except the assist to made baskets ratio....that's telling....too much one on one late in games.....that's part of the bad end game management we are seeing.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I voted yes, because there are still enough opportunities to make their case...I hope they do it!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

The team has the talent. Now are they going to be able to find a way to distribute the ball to one another on a more frequent basis and get open for one another on a more frequent basis? The "assists" for a team like the one Rhody has right now should be going through the roof and needs to be something that is sustained even late in games, in my opinion. I feel it's no longer a matter of who you go to in order to score, it's who shouldn't you go to in order to score and the answer is pretty much no one. They can all score. Now they just need to find the open guy and need to be completely unselfish.

Unfortunately, E.C. is still a problem when it comes to sharing the ball on break-a-ways and when it comes to making quick decisions. I feel like he's still struggling with whether or not he should try to take over the offensive scoring in a game or whether to just allow the game to come to him. I think he should just allow the game to come to him. If he ends up with only 8 - 10 points a game but has a high number of assists that help his teammates to gel better, so they can get the win....then I think that should be his role until defenders start to recognize they need to guard other guys and start to slack off of him a little bit on defense. One of the things that makes a leading scorer so dangerous isn't just that he can score, but that even if you try to help defend him, he still might find a way to make you pay for it.

I voted "No" because the question was presented in January. Ask me again in February after they have started to progress through A10 play and it's possible that if the team has shown further improvement (meaning, no longer falling into some old habits on a consistent basis) I may have changed my mind. I couldn't in good conscience vote "yes" while I'm still seeing some of the same old issues with this team.
Last edited by The Dude 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:Bone you did promise a 1 year ban if we dance right?
No, unlike Brady, he doesn't have the courage of his convictions. He wants to run his mouth but never have to back it up.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:NorthernRamFan and TP,
Your comments made me laugh after reading all the comments here.
I read all the posts and then I just voted my own belief. I honestly thought that the results would be very lopsided in one direction based on the comments in the thread and was surprised to see the results so evenly split.
I'm thinking there's so many people on here that just don't even want to bother with the rambones on here that they don't post. Why post something vaguely optimistic if you're going to have ten posts attacking it
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:First of all, I'd like to thank blue man for his response to dps about this insane comparison to Bonnies last year which has been disproven all 200 times it has been brought up here. Saved me the trouble of typing it again.

Second of all, people (mostly rambone, sorry to name names but it is what it is) talk about the rest of the year and the possibility of finishing at a pretty strong clip (which we will have to do to get to even 13-5, never mind 15-3) like it is the most far fetched thing in the history of basketball. A strong finish down the stretch has always been baked into the projected record and RPI because we know who we are playing and where. We will be favored in every remaining game on the schedule - maybe someone could be a doll and check our record this year in games in which we are favored. The reality is that, as Jay said, 13-5 with one A10T win and you're probably in. And finishing 13-5 from here out will require us to lose FOUR MORE GAMES IN WHICH WE ARE FAVORED in our last fifteen games, something I believe we have only done once through our first fifteen games.

Is it impossible or even hard to believe that we could lose five or even six of those games? No, not really. We've all seen worse rooting for this team so it would be crazy to dismiss the possibility. But that's not likely to happen - the odds are overwhelming that URI will lose four or less games for the rest of the regular season (about 3:1 as of today on rpiforecast).

So people predicting a 1-in-4 outcome and sounding all smug about it like they know something nobody else knows and are so much more realistic and mature than the Pom-pom wavers are actually the ones that either don't know what the hell they are talking about or are too traumatized by things that have happened before but are completely irrelevant to this year to form a cogent opinion.
I completely agree with this post. By the way, we've only lost one game we were favored to win on kenpom, the Valparaiso game. The other games we were projected to lose.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:I would love to go back and remind everyone what they thought if Dan didn't make the tourney in 5 years.
A true fan...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:GBG, according to some here they want to wait until the season plays out before blasting the coach and team, if they don't dance.

I think history with this coach tells us that nothing is likely to change.

Dan has had tons of opportunities to win big games. He has failed almost every time.

What makes some think we'll win the close ones going forward, is a real puzzler.
No, we want to talk about specific things that are wrong and possible fixes. What we don't want is "OMG WE WILL NEVER MAKE THE TOURNAMENT AND I'M OLD AND WE'RE NEVER GOING TO MAKE THE TOURNAMENT THE REST OF MY LIFE AND WHY ISN'T IT THE SEVENTIES (even though we only made one tournament the whole decade and didn't win a game) AND DAN'S DO MEAN HE LIED TO US I'M TIRED OF THE HYPE!!!!!!!!!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is a freaking message board...not life and death.......get over it RR2.....seriously.

Focus on the team and coach....not other posters. The block option works....and it will for me if you don't knock it off.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:GBG, according to some here they want to wait until the season plays out before blasting the coach and team, if they don't dance.

Dan has had tons of opportunities to win big games. He has failed almost every time.

What makes some think we'll win the close ones going forward, is a real puzzler.
No, we want to talk about specific things that are wrong and possible fixes. What we don't want is "OMG WE WILL NEVER MAKE THE TOURNAMENT AND I'M OLD AND WE'RE NEVER GOING TO MAKE THE TOURNAMENT THE REST OF MY LIFE AND WHY ISN'T IT THE SEVENTIES (even though we only made one tournament the whole decade and didn't win a game) AND DAN'S DO MEAN HE LIED TO US I'M TIRED OF THE HYPE!!!!!!!!!
Oh, by the way, 32 teams made the tourney in the seventies. If it were still like that, we would never get in.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Totally agree... The constant complaining about the same thing gets old. Make your point a couple of times and move on. Most of us come to the board to get some insight on what's going on currently with the team. To have to read the same message on multiple threads becomes a bit ridiculous.

Go Rhody!
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

At least we didn't lose like PC did last night, absolutely brutal.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RoadyJay wrote:Im tired of this 15-3 talk as the only way we get an at-large bid.

13-5 and one A10 tourney win should give us an RPI of ~30. That will be enough to get us in.

I will bet anyone on this board $5 on the following:

If URI finishes with at 13-5 or better conference record and wins one or two A10 tourney games we will get an at-large bid.

To be clear, if we finish (12-6 or worse) or (13-5 or better and do not win an A10 tournament game) then the bet is cancelled.

Any takers?
I will also make this same bet available to anyone that wants to double down or would rather take money from me than RoadyJay
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:At least we didn't lose like PC did last night, absolutely brutal.
PC is not good.....that putrid loss could be a killer on selection day!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It was a terrible loss for SO MANY REASONS. Agreed.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
RoadyJay wrote:Im tired of this 15-3 talk as the only way we get an at-large bid.

13-5 and one A10 tourney win should give us an RPI of ~30. That will be enough to get us in.

I will bet anyone on this board $5 on the following:

If URI finishes with at 13-5 or better conference record and wins one or two A10 tourney games we will get an at-large bid.

To be clear, if we finish (12-6 or worse) or (13-5 or better and do not win an A10 tournament game) then the bet is cancelled.

Any takers?
I will also make this same bet available to anyone that wants to double down or would rather take money from me than RoadyJay
It's a weak bet. He gets 13-5 or anything better but canceled if worse? I think we all agree they are getting in at 16-2. I already forgot who I bet $100. lol. But, the bet should be 13-5 and a quarterfinal win. Does that get us in? Or, if you are taking the upside records, have the balls to take the downside records and just do a do we make it or not bet.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

The point of the bet was not really to be serious... It was to make the point that going 15-3 is not necessary to get an at-large bid. My assumption was that a 13-5 record gets us into the quarterfinal round, but you are right, to be clear I'm saying a 13-5 conference record and a quarterfinal A10 win gives us and RPI of ~30 and gets us an at-large birth. Interestingly, 12-6 with a quarterfinal and semifinal A10 tourney wins also gives us an RPI of ~30.
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good stuff let's see how this plays out

I hate putting our faith in the committee so let's go 14-4 or better and control our own destiny
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

It is playing out like dog dookie thus far. Nothing says "NCAA caliber team" like getting obliterated by La Salle at home. Mmmmm...tastes good.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can I change my vote to No ??

I feel dumb voting yes

Can we stop with the 15-3 chatter ??
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This topic is officially dead. The only games this season that will matter are the A-10 Tournament games. This has been the case for the last 18 years and the odds of winning out in the tourney are always slim. This Ram squad and its coaching staff are NCAA frauds.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I officially herewith suspend and authorize no further 15-3 talk.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......after washing the shit taste out of my mouth from last nite disaster, and for those that hold onto it was just one game, can we hold onto going 14-4, win two conference tourney games as the achievable path going forward?......I can cling by finger nails to that.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, you can, but they will put us out of our misery soon.

Probably by Sunday. Holloway will eat our lunch if Hassan can't go. That's an excuse of course, but does it really matter any more?

There are always excuses every year here, whatever they might be.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will we dance by 2020 ???
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

reef wrote:Will we dance by 2020 ???
Only in a disco.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Supporting URI basketball is becoming like it was to follow the Boston Red Sox prior to 2004. Coming close many times but always falling a bit short. 1999 is now our 1918 and we are not even talking championships for our Rams. All URI has to do is be one of 68 teams and they can't seem to find a formula to even meet that goal, It is all rather disheartening and deflating.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Someday, RFI...I'm hoping I'll still be around when it happens.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

nm
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Maybe they'll expand the tournament to 96 teams...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

21377 better yet...128.........there has been talk about 96 with byes for the top 32, but the P5 conferences aren't on board with that I think...so it likely won't ever happen.
0 x