Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Does URI get selected for NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Poll ended at 7 years ago

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 64

ramster
Frank Keaney

Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread post by ramster »

Selection Sunday is March 12 for the 68 Teams.
NCAA Selection includes being being selected for 1 of the 4 play-in games.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Does URI get selected to NCAA on Sunday March 12?

Unread post by RF1 »

URI basketball has been disappointing me quite a bit in the last 17 years. I have actually come to EXPECT eventual letdown and disappointment. Until they prove otherwise, I anticipate more of the same. I hope I am wrong. I however can picture another Selection Sunday where they are just short and people are left wondering if a made ft or basket in just one game would have made all the difference.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't think we will be that close, RF1.

Between the players and coach, they aren't good enough mentally. The Dayton fan who posted knows his stuff. There's enough talent there but the end result is failure.

At some point that failure will cost DH his job.

We lose just about every single close game.....every big game people think we're going to turn the corner, and we don't......5th year and counting......NOTHING indicates a change is coming....just more excuses and player bashing......

The rats will all be off the sinking ship by March......
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......some many variables remain.....What I don't wanna see are those CBS shots of Rhody gathered around the TV waiting for their team to be called, and the rejected.....unless of course we get the A-10 Tourney auto bid.....no auto bid, no gathering of Rhody.....gathering+no invite=recruiting hit
Last edited by section(105) 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

105, auto bid? More dreaming........that would mean we would probably have to beat Dayton and VCU to get there......oh sure......

Can't wait for next season when DH micromanages Daron Russell's head off and turns him into another JG head case......

ramster, you should start another poll down the road.....will DH ever get us to the NCAAT?

You already have my answer.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Regardless if we beat Dayton and VCU at home, I don't see how we are a tournament team with 0 good road wins. I don't see us winning at Richmond or Davidson. We will end up making the A10 semis and lose by 3 after blowing a big lead. We see this every year, but what truly sucks the most about this year is everyone that watches us play sees that we have a much better team than our opponent. Other than Duke we have had more talent. We look so good at times and then boom 5 minutes left, we force stupid shots, give up easy lay-ups, and our opponents best player takes over. I said with 6 minutes left that the Dayton game was over and everyone with me said I was crazy. It's amazing how predictable we are. We shouldn't even have a thread about WILL we make the tournament it should be what seed! We couldn't win one game against Valpo, Pc, and Houston. Dayton is without their best fucking player and we collapse yet again! I've praised Hurley for years, but right now to continue to lose like this is coaching. We have so much talent that we really could sneak into the tournament, but to constantly underachieve with our guys is not good enough. I voted no.
Last edited by steveystuds06 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We hired an unproven coach hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. A great basketball name......but

He gave us everything we need to win, except win.....

Meanwhile we look at coaches like Mick Cronin at Cincy.....I would trade for him in a heartbeat......

Someday WE will have a coach that overachieves again, or at least achieves to the level of the talent here.....

What a waste.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Bone you did promise a 1 year ban if we dance right?
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Blue Man, no I didn't go for that......we 're not dancing though....think about what studs06 just said.....where are the quality road wins?

Where are the opportunities ahead for quality road wins? What does it even matter, we would lose them anyway....

What will it take to convince you and others that we aren't making the NCAAT? We have the talent to dance. We don't have the coach.

That's right, when you're young it's OK to dream......

If DH hasn't learned how to win the close ones by now, he never will. That much is obvious. This is a veteran team. His excuses have run out imo.

You guys want to wait until the end of this season? Fine. Do that. After it's over, I don't want to hear any more excuses.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This team is like the schoolyard bully.

Beat up the smaller kids, but when faced with someone his own size, he backs down and runs away.

Dan's motto, "I want a team that's Ram Tough" is a pipedream. It's all on him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Does KenPom secretly post here as one of the many blind optimists on this board ?? Has us going undefeated from here on out in conference play...
0 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think it's going ot go right down to the wire, right on the bubble. 22-8, 21-9 with a tourney run, maybe 23-7 but I highly doubt that. RPI in the high 30's. But winning the A10 tourney? Probably not. IMO that puts us squarely on the bubble, 50-50 chance.
Last edited by UCH21377 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Hassan is out? No chance. If Hassan is healthy? Maybe.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Kenpom has us doing that, because we will be favored in all our games as of now....

Sure and I'm the King of England.

Billyboy, our chances would be better, but still won't be good enough.

People here are hanging their hat on our "expected" RPI numbers....sure if we win all of those games....but there's the catch......

It's still about who you beat, and where.....not just a number.....
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Looking at the rankings of our next 15 games, the only teams that will help is VCU and Dayton. There just aren't enough quality wins left to get an at large.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Kenpom has Rhody favored to win every game but eight as single digit favorites. They project a 13-5 conference record.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

theblueram wrote:Looking at the rankings of our next 15 games, the only teams that will help is VCU and Dayton. There just aren't enough quality wins left to get an at large.
This isnt logical. If we win every game from here on we are definitely in.

Im not saying that we will do that, but the way you stated it sounded like there was no chance at a bid which isnt true.
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree with everyone who thinks we have the talent to run the table against who we have left to play this season.

Now isn't that optimistic?

Now for the bad part.......
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

God this board is so depressing
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

1019, it's the team that makes it so depressing.......just win some of our close games and things would be a lot brighter.

Promise.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I was one of the people that didn't buy into the preseason hype. Our only size starting the season are freshmen.
Also, I don' think that a team gets better simply because it gets older.
I see a team that is very athletic. I don't a team of great basketball players.
Maybe Dan feels he has to micromanage because he see this too. I don't know. Just a thought.
Last edited by ramfan85 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, 85, he recruited them. These are his players, for better or worse.

They show they can play well together at times, some groupings better than others.

If they can do that, then they should be able to do better than they are doing. Even fans of our opponents can see the talent.

It's been about 5 years now. The players change. The results [losing close games ALL the time] haven't.

The one constant is the coach. There's the problem. He hasn't figured it out. He's not likely to either.

The onus is on him to perform, to make the NCAAT. That's what he was hired to do. He hasn't done it. How long should he stay here if he doesn't accomplish this goal?

[Now there's another poll]
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

bone,did you expect a n unknown proven coach to start recruiting against proven top 6 conferences;dh has done well to get us to rpi range of 38-45--maybe that's not good enough but its the start of a building process
imo this team is not at the level of the a-10 playoff winners lead by lamar odom.we will be one of the last in ,if we get in.

all this criticism of the team is not needed---players and coaches are human btw direct your complaints to the
4-11 womens team
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

kal-65 wrote:bone,did you expect a n unknown proven coach to start recruiting against proven top 6 conferences;dh has done well to get us to rpi range of 38-45--maybe that's not good enough but its the start of a building process
imo this team is not at the level of the a-10 playoff winners lead by lamar odom.we will be one of the last in ,if we get in.

all this criticism of the team is not needed---players and coaches are human btw direct your complaints to the
4-11 womens team
When you have a team as talented as ours, more talented from top to bottom than anybody in the league, lose like we do and repeat the same dumb mistakes as we do, you're going to get pretty heavily criticized. And it's warranted.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Year 5 Kal, year 5. NCAA or Bust. And did you bring the women's team into the conversation? Next you're going to bring up the football team.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let me know if Hass will be healthy the rest of the year and no one else goes down and I will be happy to participate in this crazy exercise.
1 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

peter,whose idea is it we are the most talented;the record speaks for itself.mant got caught in the hype preseason --beating Harvard-rpi 137--or the johnnies rpi 150---then playing over our head versus cincy

it takes time,more than 5 years,to get to a top 25 team.if it were that easy everyone in the a-10 would do itthere are no easy solutions ;rome wasn't built in a day

imo this team is playing to its abilities.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

More than 5 years? hahahahhahaahahhaha. You gotta be kiddin me.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If that were the case then Dan Hurley needs to go.......sooner than later.

We lose 80+% of our 1 and 2 possession games......been that way for almost 5 years no matter what talent level we've had.

That's the mark of a BAD sideline coach. Dan might be great everywhere else, but it DOESN'T MATTER if he can't win.

WHY can't some people understand this?

It's every goddamn coach's job in the country to run a good clean program...but....they are judged on ONE thing at the end of the day:

Did you win, or did you lose? You can't fire the players, but you sure can fire the coach!

Maybe in some places the administration doesn't give a shit....but here WE do!
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Way to early to know this last year a lot of teams played themselves out of the tourney. You never know if teams play themselves out or if there ends up being a lot of bid stealers from other conferences.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We will take care of that long before March, nickel........if we are even close to the bubble by then I will be surprised.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

bonelast year cooley had 2 nba caliber players to make the dance
we do not have any player at that level on this team
we don't have any one playing at a 4 or 5 star level
dh has done a good job with the talent available

it takes time to go from our level of play to recruit against the top 25 programs
you walk before you run
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we are talented enough to lead good teams with a few minutes left...which we do pretty often....we should be good enough to at least win some of those games.....not just one a season like we seem to do.

So that "lack of talent" thing doesn't hold water......it's more mental than physical imo.......both on the players and coach.

And Dan has NOT maxed out the talent here, not by a long shot...the results prove it.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Kenpom love!

Even better than hrstrat57 13-2 finish!!!!

Woo hooooo
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

kal-65 wrote:bonelast year cooley had 2 nba caliber players to make the dance
we do not have any player at that level on this team
we don't have any one playing at a 4 or 5 star level
dh has done a good job with the talent available

it takes time to go from our level of play to recruit against the top 25 programs
you walk before you run
So it's supposed to take what, 6 years? 7 8 9 years before we can make the tournament?

We have what 4 players that were 4 stars coming out of high school? EC, JT Stan and Kuran. And Hass was very underrated.
We have played at a top 25 level. That's why we beat Cincinnati. Because we are as talented as them. We didn't beat them because we throughly out coached them. It's because we have the same level of talent, as that top 25 level school and in that particular game we made plays at the end to win. Things we didn't do in our 4 close losses. Where in those losses, we lead most of the way, a testament to our superior talent, only to piss it away at the end. So we have all have a very good reason to be disappointed. For we should have a better record than 10-5 right now.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

who is [laying at a 4 star level right now;high school ratings mean nothing if you don'tcontribute at that level at

the d-1 level
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....yea 65, maybe the talent loaded group we see isn't so much....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Not even 2 months from the date and we're worrying about something we haven't done in 17 years. Why not appreciate the games? Jesus certain people on this board suck
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

God reading this board sometimes makes want to stay in bed for my whole life.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan and TP,
Your comments made me laugh after reading all the comments here.
I read all the posts and then I just voted my own belief. I honestly thought that the results would be very lopsided in one direction based on the comments in the thread and was surprised to see the results so evenly split.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, it's like the election.......
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I voted yes

I still think we are going to make it but it should be close
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I voted yes, somehow I still think this team can make it. It sucks to put yourself in a position were it is early January and you are already saying we can only lose this game or that game and must win so and so game. And then hoping for our opponents do well to boost their rpi and our rpi. No way to go through the season. I thought it would be different this year, it turns out not. But so much has to play out, we'll just have to be patient and see what happens and as a coach would say, take it game by game and day by day. Like Nickel says, there are also others who will play themselves out or in. Usually more so out, allowing others in. One thing I know for sure after watching college ball for so many years, is that some of these teams in various conferences who have started off great and some that have started off poorly, will be different teams come mid February. It is going to have to play out.

As far as Hurley, I like Dan, I certainly like what he has done with the team and program. But to some, he is beyond any criticism. I don't get that. Though I like Dan, I certainly don't believe he is without faults and definitely not beyond criticism. We can still make the tourney this year, but we haven't yet. To say 5 years is unreasonable is questionable at best. Yes, I certainly bought into the hype and still believe this team is as talented or more talented than any other in the A10. Please watch some A10 games and tell me who has more physical talent? I see teams that execute better. I see teams that seem to make plays when it counts. I see teams that make their free throws at a more consistent rate, but I don't see anyone that has more talent. GW, Richmond, St Bonnies , Davidson? Seriously? If you want to make an argument for Dayton or possibly VCU, fine. I still say no. If I am over rating their talent, and there isn't much talent , as it has been said here, it goes back to the point of why is the talent at a lower level than it should be? Recruiting is as important of a component as there is in college basketball. So , in 5 years, if Dan hasn't gotten the proper players in, whose fault is that? Part of the coaches job isn't it? How many years should it be to expect a tourney bid? 10, 15? It's a process right? This is basketball, not football where you need numerous players and only 4 teams make playoffs. 64 at last check get in. Schools like St Bonnies, Holy Cross, Toledo and so many others have gone dancing since we last went to tourney.

I was recently listening to a Louisville sports talk show, and I heard many calls by fans who were criticizing, sometime over the top Rick Pitino. While you make not like the guy personally, there is no doubting his level of success on the court. Yes, Louisville is a national power who competes at the highest level, but it is all relative. All we are asking here at this point is to make the tournament, not to win the national championship?

So, at this point, I am going to be patient, stay positive and see what happens. I, for one, believe the players are in place and absolutely fine to win this conference and make the tournament, which everyone wants. However, there are other intangibles that this team don't seem to have at this point. Hopefully, with continued hard work, continued development and time, these thing will work themselves out and we will be fine.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm a little confused (though I shouldn't be) by the overwhelming sense of negativity after this loss.

Since even the hardest of doubters on here said 15-3 in conference for an at-large bid...where did you see the L's coming from?

I had this, @ Davidson, @ richmond and holding serve at home. Dayton's building (and wally's fantastic calls) gave dayton a 3 point win. At home we win it. We get VCU at home. There's 2 more good wins, and if you hold on everything else...a 15-3 record.

Yeah the margin for error is extremely thin right now, but how does everyone live if every W doesn't make anyone happy and every L is an excuse to contemplate seppuku?
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This team has enough physical talent to win this conference.

This team however does NOT have the mental discipline needed to make that happen.

Put it on the players, put it on the coach....whatever floats your boat.....

They continue to make poor decisions across the board in crunch time. It's been almost 5 years and it continues with no signs of it changing.

That's my gripe Blue Man, ramster, and others.......

I can't get on the 15-3 bandwagon until I see us start to win close games.

You want to see the season play out? Fine. I don't have an issue with that. But don't come crying to me after we blow more games and fail to dance. Again.

If I'm guilty of anything it's trying to draw a logical conclusion from what I've been seeing from this team and coach to this point.

Am I hopeful we'll turn things around and make the NCAAT? Of course! But it's not a hope based on reality.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

15-3

Doable

Do it....and selection day is celebration day. Favored in every game?

Win the games!

No excuses!!!!

Go Rhody!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Btw I herewith lay claim to starting up the 15-3 bandwagon. Weeks ago.

Jump on!
1 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:God reading this board sometimes makes want to stay in bed for my whole life.
I get the optimistic side of things. Most of the time, close games tend to end up 50/50 as time goes on. There certainly has been bad luck on the injury front. Heck, you could go back and wonder what Jordan Hare could still be on the roster if my math (and his head) was right. What I don't get is how people are taken aback by what is written here. You can decide where most of the posts fall between pessimism and realism but most are reasonable, at least. It's now five years. He does lose the vast majority of close, important games. These two facts that can't be argued. Would you have been surprised if I told you in 2012 that he would go 0 for 4 and counting? Past facts, a reasonable opinion would be that if we don't dance with EC/Hass/JT core, then we are in a world of pain for a few years because recruiting has sort of stunk. You can bet that this is the year. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. The core is really, really talented. Just don't be all shocked by what you are reading.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What's that saying..."Reality bites".......

I find it hard that some are shocked.....like you said GBG, we lose almost all of our big games........
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Im tired of this 15-3 talk as the only way we get an at-large bid.

13-5 and one A10 tourney win should give us an RPI of ~30. That will be enough to get us in.

I will bet anyone on this board $5 on the following:

If URI finishes with at 13-5 or better conference record and wins one or two A10 tourney games we will get an at-large bid.

To be clear, if we finish (12-6 or worse) or (13-5 or better and do not win an A10 tournament game) then the bet is cancelled.

Any takers?
Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x