Cordischi of GoLocalProv: Oh No! Hurley back to Jersey???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: oh no!

Unread post by Rhody72 »

DH will do what is best for DH and his family. Until one knows all the details of an offer there is nothing to speculate about. There are very few D1 coaches who do not have a price or situation to which they will jump. The same is true for each and every one of us in our profession. If DH staying three years was important to URI, Thor would have written a buy-out penalty into DH's contract. I would expect DH to listen to every offer. He left Wagner after 2 years.

As for other schools having an interest in DH, he still hasn't even taken a D1 school to the NIT. There are plenty of mid-major coaches out there with a better resume - even Mark Schmidt at SBU.

Any coach for whom being head coach at URI is their career dream job, is a coach I don't want. That includes Preston who is in my opinion the heir apparent at URI. Some added bad news for URI should DH leave now is that the ineligible players we have now could all go with him and probably get a waiver to play immediately. This adds to DH's present value.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It's no secret, that Mike Rice is on thin ice.
So, he and Rooke probably put 2 and 2 togehter and got 5.
Rutgers is the graveyard of coaches, regardless of how much money
they have to spend.
Thank you Mr. Downer '72 for you pissing on a grave of someone not yet dead.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

because they hire bums. is hurley a bum?
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I feel like URI would be an ideal job for DH right now and that he has no plans of leaving. Its close to his home state where he can possibly start up a pipeline of great players. Along with New Jersey, the New England area in the past few years has really improved in regards to basketball talent. I'm sure we can tap into that, along with what we have started out in Michigian. URI has been successful before, and Thorr seems like he is here to win. I say this is ideal for DH and his brother, and that success is right around the corner.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

You titled this thread 'oh no!', dripping in sarcasm....but you were just sharing information. Right.
And now you're trying to spin this so that URI fans on this board will call Hurley unqualified in some manner. But you're harmless.
Give me a break. Mods, go ahead and ban this jerk.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Just a guess, but I bet this article somehow gets posted on the PC board.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

3wisemen wrote:You titled this thread 'oh no!', dripping in sarcasm....but you were just sharing information. Right.
And now you're trying to spin this so that URI fans on this board will call Hurley unqualified in some manner. But you're harmless.
cry me a river.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I've got this guy Scott figured out.

He went and threw this crap against the wall, hoping against hope that it might stick, the 1% chance Dan might leave to go to NJ.

That's what he does. And I'm sure he gets a ton of support from Rooke, who would LOVE to see Hurley leave. If not, his beloved Friars are going to get their asses handed to them, at least when they come to Kingston every other year.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

rambone 78 wrote:I've got this guy Scott figured out.

He went and threw this crap against the wall, hoping against hope that it might stick, the 1% chance Dan might leave to go to NJ.

That's what he does. And I'm sure he gets a ton of support from Rooke, who would LOVE to see Hurley leave. If not, his beloved Friars are going to get their asses handed to them, at least when they come to Kingston every other year.
yeah... that's the ticket.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Don't forget that Cordischi's story on the Hurley hire, almost
torpedoed the entire process, back in April.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

peeps4life wrote:
3wisemen wrote:You titled this thread 'oh no!', dripping in sarcasm....but you were just sharing information. Right.
cry me a river.
You going to run back to the PC board and tell them about how you got some URI fans all riled up over this? I know you think they'd be very proud of you and I know how badly you and rj crave their approval.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

peeps has always been a pro-URI poster here.....I believe he was only bringing us pertinent information designed to enlighten us...with no other agenda.....why should we live in the dark without his caring posts.....

.....that being said....money talks......a BCS school in his home state with new found millions to spend thanks to the Big 10....if they offer Hurley $4 million per year...he has to go....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Ramulous wrote:peeps has always been a pro-URI poster here.....I believe he was only bringing us pertinent information designed to enlighten us...with no other agenda.....why should we live in the dark without his caring posts.....

.....that being said....money talks......a BCS school in his home state with new found millions to spend thanks to the Big 10....if they offer Hurley $4 million per year...he has to go....
This is even more ridiculous. Only Pitino and Krzyzewski make more than $4 million per season.\

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/c ... tabase.htm
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

There is a lot of pressure on Rutgers to succeed in both football and basketball in the Big 10......they will be the richest program in the entire northeast.......it is not as ridiculous as you may think that they will pay for a coach they believe will lead them to success.....

......the proof will be in the pudding....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, the last hire Rutgers made, was a hot young coach.
He has a successful father who was a coach.
Very much a "screamer", and "in your face" coach.
He had three years head coaching experience when he was hired by Rutgers.
Get where I'm going here?
It would be like deja vu for Rutgers and their fans. Only Rice did even better at
Robert Morris, than Hurley did at Wagner.
Can't see it.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

so you're saying hurley is a bum?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't want to lose Dan Hurley, but I can see him taking the Rutgers job if offered. Big 10. Gets to go home. IF he gets offered and does NOT take it, who is to say it reopens in 2 years, 3 years...5 years? Somebody could go in there and produce a winner.
Bobby could get the Head Coaching Job, then again he may want to go home too and stick with Danny, in which case maybe the job falls to Preston which I would have no problem with.
It is not news I want to hear, but I can see where it could happen.
0 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

Skinner needs to get another chance 12/30/12
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4573#more-4573
Rutgers should be interested in Skinner!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, not happening. Just mindless, baseless speculation, meant for the chicken little crowd.
I like Preston, but he's not ready yet.
Don't know if Bobby wants to ever be a head coach.
Looks like he's having too much fun, doing what he's doing.
He could have had the Wagner job and stayed home. He didn't take it.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Woah...slow the hate train people. Man this topic is testy! Smoke a bone, grab a drink or go for a long walk in the cold to chill out people.
Here is my take on this and this is all I'm going to say about it:
Cordischi Reply Quote: "I believe that Hurley could be high on their list. I believe that he would strongly consider taking that job if offered to him. What's so wrong about writing that?"

Allow me to break it down...
It is most likely true that an appealing coach like Hurley would be on the top of any school's list of desired coachers. We love the guy so far. I'm sure other schools want him as well. Cordischi has a very good point here.

BUT...that doesn't mean they will get him. The problem here is the last sentence.
"I believe that he would strongly consider taking that job if offered to him."-Cordischi
Strong opinion with little factual basis or evidence offered to back up this conclusion. It's weak. An article should stick to the facts and if an opinion is offered there should be some insightful evidence to back it up. If not, it's just poor journalism.
I feel like I'm destined to become a millionaire. Unfortunately, I don't have a shred of evidence right now that points to my unemployed a$$ becoming a millionaire. Hence the problem.
In the words of Jack Nicholson: "Go sell crazy some place else we're all stocked up here."

I don't fault peep for the posting. He just posted what he found and didn't even post his opinion in the initial post.
Read the article. Sit back, relax...go punch a wall, bite a pillow, grab a tissue and hit up the Scotch, but for the love of god try...just try not to shoot the messenger.
It's amazing how quickly this peaceful loving community can turn into a group of angry men or women with dark robes and sickles. :-P
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote: Don't know if Bobby wants to ever be a head coach.
Looks like he's having too much fun, doing what he's doing.
He could have had the Wagner job and stayed home. He didn't take it.
That's the plan eventually, but they just weren't ready to be done working together yet.

And Dude, no one's really taking the article seriously, no need to break it down.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Reading through the first 20 or so posts, I thought that people were directing their anger at the wrong troll. Cordischi's "article" was a Tour de Troll, but I didn't think peep's bringing it merited a banning as some were asking for. But peeps, keep it on topic and don't instigate or you'll find yourself in timeout.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Reading through the first 20 or so posts, I thought that people were directing their anger at the wrong troll. Cordischi's "article" was a Tour de Troll, but I didn't think peep's bringing it merited a banning as some were asking for. But peeps, keep it on topic and don't instigate or you'll find yourself in timeout.
It's not just this post, creeps every post is to get URI fans pissed off. He's the ultimate PC troll.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

peeps is a bully.....I have no respect for him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jim Carr was at Rutgers for 13 years when he decided to join his good friend Dan Hurley at URI.
Would Gil Biruta want to go back to Rutgers? My guess is that he could play immediately.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

i only resorted to name calling after being told to die. otherwise on the topic at hand.

i'm not a bully. i brought an article to your attention that i saw in my facebook feed as it is relevant to uri.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Crappy article by Cordischi

Hurley will see this thing through at least 3 full yrs and quite possible lots longer
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Stop the baloney martyr act!
Trying to bait people into saying Dan Hurley is a bum?
Yeah, you're such a good guy, with such good intentions.
Ramster, whose side are you on?
Hurley hated his time at Rutgers so much that he coached high school ball for nine years
after he was an assistant at Rutgers.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

you say scott should get quotes from hurley yet you keep putting words right in hurley's mouth about what his plans are and reasons why he left previous jobs.

i said rutgers has previously hired bums. you said they were more successful than hurley. that is what YOU said. and i never told you to die or go to hell. i did, however, call you a psycho.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

had not seen this posted, if so I apologize
http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/go ... urley.html
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, maybe I am. Even Bob Terino says I'm nuts.
Gives me that edge. Heh heh.
Oh, and Gary Waters isn't a bum.
What I said was, Hurley closely fits the profile of Rutgers' last hire.
True. Rice was a guy people on this board would have killed to get
to replace Baron. His record at Robert Morris was awesome.
So, why would Rutgers risk going oveer the same route?
No, they'd look for a longer established coach. Makes sense to me, but, hey, I'm a psycho!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The next time I see Cordischi at the Ryan Center will be the first time this year. At this point, you basically have to take his columns as the low-rent version of Donaldson's. While I don't always agree with Donaldson's take, they at least have less of that "here's me throwing some shit against the wall!" feeling to them.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Poor peeps....he comes over here out of the kindness of his heart to enlighten us about how we may be losing our coach....but his intentions are pure....and he gets castigated....what a world, what a world....oh his beautiful wickedness...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod will keep us updated about the Cordischi article, when he speaks to Dan about it...

right Rod?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Remember the RI Sports Media intelligentsia scoffed at the idea that URI could do better than Baron and his NITs. None of them admitted they were wrong when URI hired one of the hottest young coaches in the country and immediately received national buzz. None of them admitted they were wrong when the market for Baron's services was barely D-1. They want so bad to be able to say see URI fans, you should have been happy with what you had and the only way they can do that at this point is if Hurley leaves early.
I like that Cordischi wrote this hypothesis, it shows the level of pettyness that we're dealing with.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Hurley isn't going anywhere. Rutgers will try to make a huge splash. IMHO, top of their list will be Shakka Smart.

Well known fact that rice is a dead man walking. Reporting that Hurley could be a candidate is not that shocking. Just like Gruden, cowher are on the list for every coaching gig in the nfl

Relax. It's a good thing when people want to talk to your coach
It's like having the hot wife in the neighborhood; don't get pissed when dudes fawn over her. It's a compliment.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Why would Scott go to Hurley for a quote, it would only lead to this from Cordischi

"I went to Coach Hurley to ask him about his feelings for Rutgers. He said he didn't have any and that he was all in at URI, excited to build something great. However, what is he going to say? That he was already sprinting down 95 trying to get home? (or insert more terribleness about running home)"
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

First of all....I would expect Dan Hurley to say all the right things publicly abouting staying at URI....and privately to any boosters or fans who ask him if he would go to Rutgers, or anywhere else.

Second of all......I wouldn't believe a word any coach says about his staying at one particular school if other schools come calling....

Third of all.....I believe Dan Hurley possesses the ambition to coach at the highest level in college basketball......a BCS football school in one of the 4 monster conferences would give him the opportunity to realistically contend for the national championship on a year in year out basis....

....something Rhody does not possess....

....I believe he will go BCS sometime in the future...the big question is when....does he feel a moral obligation to stay at Rhody until the ship has been righted?.....or is he another Harrick/Pitino....too big for Hooterville ?
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

Timing is everything and everything about this timing says no way. Is there a perfect storm scenario? Sure.....the one where Dayton, Butler, Xavier and St Louis (along with already departing Temple) leave, rendering the A10 to something closer to the Patriot League. If that happens, could I see him "considering" it? Sure. It's the fricking Big 10. But I still think the timing is bad or him.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading through this thread. Watching Tom Penders last night on the DH show and listening to him talk about DH says all I need to hear. DH has brought Penders back to the program and I am sure Penders will raise a lot of money to keep this program heading in the right direction.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My general feeling on the whole piece is this: GoLocalProv got all of us to click on it, which is all they really wanted. This article screams out as a ploy to increase hit count, especially since they tweeted it out as "Dan Hurley to Rutgers" instead of "Dan Hurley to Rutgers?". They also tweeted it @ all the Rhody fans they could find, hoping for RTs and increased traffic. Just my two cents.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:My general feeling on the whole piece is this: GoLocalProv got all of us to click on it, which is all they really wanted. This article screams out as a ploy to increase hit count, especially since they tweeted it out as "Dan Hurley to Rutgers" instead of "Dan Hurley to Rutgers?". They also tweeted it @ all the Rhody fans they could find, hoping for RTs and increased traffic. Just my two cents.
Maybe he is trying to pad his resume for a job at Bleacher Report then. Thats probably about where he belongs.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Low class operation. That much is obvious of GoLocalProv.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I made this point talking about Seton Hall the other day. I know dan Hurley calls Rod to tuck him into bed every night, but I would be surprised if DH was still at URI in five years. Mostly, it is just the way it is with college coaches. They want to win national titles and doing it is easier in the Big 10 or Big East, especially after the A10 loses some of its better teams. Sure, Seton Hall and RU are conference bottom feeders but he can still recruit his old stomping grounds or St. B and St. A, getting the elite guys coming out of there by telling them they can stay home and still get to play Indiana, Michigan, Mich State, etc. It's just not a big leap.
Now, I would be even more surprised if he left after just one year.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:I made this point talking about Seton Hall the other day. I know dan Hurley calls Rod to tuck him into bed every night, but I would be surprised if DH was still at URI in five years. Mostly, it is just the way it is with college coaches. They want to win national titles and doing it is easier in the Big 10 or Big East, especially after the A10 loses some of its better teams.
I think most of us understand this. I don't remember people saying a year ago that we need to get rid of Baron and get a guy who will be here for decades. When people talk about coaches having success and leaving for better jobs like its a problem unique to URI, it just shows their agenda. First off, its not a problem, its a good thing, and second coaches in the big conferences leave for better jobs too. There's maybe a litttle more than a handful of college jobs that aren't concerned with coaches getting better offers and even they have to worry about the NBA. Yes, there's some optimism that Hurley could be our Mark Few, so what? Doesn't that optimism exist at every school? Why is it so much more absurd to have that optimism at URI than Gonzaga, or VCU, or Butler, or PC?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

BFC wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:I made this point talking about Seton Hall the other day. I know dan Hurley calls Rod to tuck him into bed every night, but I would be surprised if DH was still at URI in five years. Mostly, it is just the way it is with college coaches. They want to win national titles and doing it is easier in the Big 10 or Big East, especially after the A10 loses some of its better teams.
I think most of us understand this. I don't remember people saying a year ago that we need to get rid of Baron and get a guy who will be here for decades. When people talk about coaches having success and leaving for better jobs like its a problem unique to URI, it just shows their agenda. First off, its not a problem, its a good thing, and second coaches in the big conferences leave for better jobs too. There's maybe a litttle more than a handful of college jobs that aren't concerned with coaches getting better offers and even they have to worry about the NBA. Yes, there's some optimism that Hurley could be our Mark Few, so what? Doesn't that optimism exist at every school? Why is it so much more absurd to have that optimism at URI than Gonzaga, or VCU, or Butler, or PC?
Mostly because I don't think the state and the powers that be will come up with market rate to keep him if he has any success. And, I think he is in a unique situation in that he can go home to a place where he has legitimate access to elite top 50 kids year after year. I am hoping we have major success for 4-5 years, he leaves the program in much better shape than when he took over, and the next guy has the same energy/drive. Maybe it is Bobby.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If he stays four or five year with success, isn't that what most of us wanted
to begin with?
Xavier has gone through many coaches and maintained its level of excellence.
If Hurley leaves in four or five years for a better job, that means he accomplished something good
at URI.
I like Bobby. We could do a lot worse, if he were to remain here, if Dan left.
It's this, leaving after one year nonsense, that is insane.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:If he stays four or five year with success, isn't that what most of us wanted
to begin with?
Xavier has gone through many coaches and maintained its level of excellence.
If Hurley leaves in four or five years for a better job, that means he accomplished something good
at URI.
I like Bobby. We could do a lot worse, if he were to remain here, if Dan left.
It's this, leaving after one year nonsense, that is insane.
I agree 99.9%. It's just happened enough in the past where I wouldn't be completely shocked. It's hard to line up success and a decent stay at a place with the next opening. If Rutgers or the Hall is what he wants (let's face it, neither Rod nor I know) and Rice/Willard both get fired, he is sitting there with the reality that if he doesn't jump now, it is probably 4 more years before those jobs open again. It's sort of like Cooley at Fairfield. I bet he never thought his stint there would be only two years but his hometown team opened up and he jumped.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cooley achieved a modicum of success at Fairfield.
To date, Hurley is rebuilding from the ground up, and only has
one winning season in his limited three years as a head coach.
We love (or some of us) what he's trying to do here, and understand
what he's up against.
Why wouldn't Rutgers go for a higher profile more established coach?
Seton Hall to a lesser extent.
Would their fanbase be doing handstands at getting a coach with an 8 win season?
That's the stuff of Canisius fans, not BCS schools.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

We're acting like Hurley is the first coach who ever left his home state to coach. Let's have the success first and then worry about dealing with success.
0 x