Koch Article "No Plans on Dropping Football"

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Koch Article "No Plans on Dropping Football"

Unread post by RF1 »

OBRAM wrote:Looks like nothing will happened unless some big donor comes along like the FieldTurf for "Baseball. However , I did not read in detail, but it seems like the gist of this, is that we really don't have a Plan for facilities. I have a 13 year old architectural drawing of revamped Meade, but 13 years later there is nothing. Actually, stadium needs to move, get away from White Horn Creek, and away from Ryan Center.
meade stadium concept.jpg
meade stadium concept.jpg (39.63 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1,
Looks good to me, I would go for this.
But interesting that this does not show lights yet we are talking about lights.
Couldn't this plan be enacted in phases? At least get something moving in a positive direction and get some enthusiasm flowing with at least a plan shared with fans and alumni.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

That stadium gives a Rhody Ram in my pants. Too bad it will never happen.

It's almost sad that the rendering is over ten years old and as recently as last week Thorr Bjorn said he had 'no plans'.

Accept mediocrity, we do!
Last edited by STC 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

STC wrote:That stadium gives a Rhody Ram in my pants. Too bad it will never happen.

It's almost sad that the rendering is over ten years old and as recently as last week Thorr Bjorn said he had 'no plans'.

Accept mediocrity, we do!
I can't even really imagine how great and exciting it would be to walk into that stadium on Saturdays. Instead we have no plan to fix things.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

As I've fought and argued for years now, keep football! I get it, we suck waste of money ect. The money saved isn't going anywhere useful. URI will lose much more than it will gain.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Totally agree RhodyMob05
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:As I've fought and argued for years now, keep football! I get it, we suck waste of money ect. The money saved isn't going anywhere useful. URI will lose much more than it will gain.
Agree...and there is no ROI, so (seriously) just carry on with the "hope" plan.
And maybe one day there will be a movie made...like Hoosiers....will be an awesome story.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:As I've fought and argued for years now, keep football! I get it, we suck waste of money ect. The money saved isn't going anywhere useful. URI will lose much more than it will gain.
And maybe one day there will be a movie made...like Hoosiers....will be an awesome story.
I am for investing in the Program, not dropping it. Are you being sarcastic and you want the Program dropped? I'm not sure.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I am for investing in the Program, not dropping it. Are you being sarcastic and you want the Program dropped? I'm not sure.
I think I'm for neither... I'd like to see them keep it. Don't really think it's worth investing in (have expressed my thoughts previously re: no real ROI...and seems they feel the same way, therefore they probably won't...so no sense really hoping for that). But, it can be a good Sat afternoon option and if/when they do start winning, it will be a seriously awesome story....

The only 'plan' right now is "hope" ...think what a great movie that would make if they ever did win anything....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I think I'm for neither... I'd like to see them keep it. Don't really think it's worth investing in (have expressed my thoughts previously re: no real ROI...and seems they feel the same way, therefore they probably won't...so no sense really hoping for that). But, it can be a good Sat afternoon option and if/when they do start winning, it will be a seriously awesome story....

The only 'plan' right now is "hope" ...think what a great movie that would make if they ever did win anything....
Makes sense..................The Picture of the Stadium looks awesome, too bad it's 13 years old and no plan yet
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Makes sense..................The Picture of the Stadium looks awesome, too bad it's 13 years old and no plan yet
Where can one see a picture of this? I'm sure it looks nice, but probably not relevant now 13 yrs later.
As my kids would say, that was a 'million billion years ago' - would still like to see it though.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It should be in the top post on this page
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Football helps Diversity. Basketball needs Diversity.
Make it work.
REVESRSE THE CURSE!
GO RHODY!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Schools need fans and football as bad as it has been , creates fans and along with basketball, they create more fans than every other uri sport combined. I believe Koch explained how hockey wouldn't work out and in my opinion wouldn't bring in half the viewers.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Yes rm05 football has more fans than the minor sports but dropping down a league would still have the Sat. games and we may create more fans by winning some games. The school could save money by decreasing scholarships and get away with a smaller less expensive stadium that maybe would allow for a new track around the field. This would improve the already top level track programs. A D3 hockey program could be added with the scholarships dropped from football and would increase the total fans for the University.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Dropping down to a lower level will do nothing to improve wins and losses. If the winning is not important to the administration it doesn't matter what level you are at. We can just as easily be at the bottom of the NEC as the CAA. If URI cannot or will not do what it takes to match our most closely related programs - UNH and Maine - then we need to go the route of previous Yankee Conference competitors - Vermont, BU, and Northeastern- and drop the program.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ed, you are 100% correct......might as well play club football....as in hockey, we might be good at that......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I like, keep it with no plan except for "hope." If they ever win...what a story...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good for Fleming to be right there and offer him, smart move by URI even if doesn't come here
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In December 2016 article Thor says URI has no plans to drop football. In fact he says the continuous discussion about dropping it hurts the program and recruiting.
0 x