2016-17 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2016-17 Bracketology

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Look, you know what this thread is about based on the title and you know what time of year it is based on the calendar. If you want to discuss it, great. If you think it's far too premature, why did you click on this link in the first place?

Lunardi put out his first bracket for 2016-17 today. He has URI as a ten seed playing SMU in Salt Lake City. We're considered one of his last four byes. He has VCU and Dayton as 8 seeds with GW 7th out. He lists Duke as a 1, Creighton as a 12 and one of the last four in, Wagner as a 16, Old Dominion as a 14, Cincinnati as a 7, and PC 2nd out.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 2016-17 Bracketology

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Fun!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Having flashbacks to last years preseason lunardi.... but its a new season!
0 x
GO RAMS
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

What a great time of year to be a Rhody fan.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rematches with SMU and Arizona would be fun...
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I cannot understand how a team ranked 18 to 23 in way too early polls for next year is a 10 or 11 seed in way to early bracketology....wouldn't we be no worse than a 7 seed ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ramulous wrote:I cannot understand how a team ranked 18 to 23 in way too early polls for next year is a 10 or 11 seed in way to early bracketology....wouldn't we be no worse than a 7 seed ?
Great point
0 x
GO RAMS
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Ramulous wrote:I cannot understand how a team ranked 18 to 23 in way too early polls for next year is a 10 or 11 seed in way to early bracketology....wouldn't we be no worse than a 7 seed ?
I agree but providence was ranked for a good portion of last season and they ended up a 9 seed. Too many variables.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we END the year ranked, we'll be higher than a 10 seed.

I think Lunardi heard me. That was my way-too-early prediction: 10 seed and one of the last 4 byes.

:lol: :D :P
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Duke was a 5 seed in the ACC tournament this year. Now they are this big #1. It is only because there is no obvious #1.

They aren't very good. The returning players aren't very good. Is Tatum better than Ingram?

I doubt Duke wins the ACC next year. With that, if URI is legit this upcoming year in that all the players reach their potential and the team is the sum of that potential, then URI could be great. Definitely beat a Duke and Cinci in CT. And everyone else OOC. Well assuming that Duke, Cinci, and Providence are the biggest teams.

But if they drop games to ODU again then I will feel like I have been duped again.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Grayson Allen isn't very good? I like our team next year but even if we reach our potential early in the season then I still don't think we "definitely" beat Duke.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Duke was a 5 seed in the ACC tournament this year. Now they are this big #1. It is only because there is no obvious #1.

They aren't very good. The returning players aren't very good. Is Tatum better than Ingram?

I doubt Duke wins the ACC next year. With that, if URI is legit this upcoming year in that all the players reach their potential and the team is the sum of that potential, then URI could be great. Definitely beat a Duke and Cinci in CT. And everyone else OOC. Well assuming that Duke, Cinci, and Providence are the biggest teams.

But if they drop games to ODU again then I will feel like I have been duped again.
Damn, SPG. Not very good? They may not win the ACC but that's because the ACC is the best basketball conference in America. I mean, I hate Duke as any self-respecting basketball fan does, but to call them "not very good" calls into question your judgement about a host of things. Allen, annoying/dirty as he is, averaged 21/5/4 in the best conference in America. Kennard/Thornton/Jeter/Matt Jones/Amile Jefferson make up a helluva returning core. This does not include their incoming freshman class currently ranked #2 in the country. They're pretty good.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Duke was a 5 seed in the ACC tournament this year. Now they are this big #1. It is only because there is no obvious #1.

if Amile Jefferson was healthy they would have been a 2 in the NCAA and atleat a 3 in the ACC. Jefferson is coming back along with Allen, Thornton, Jones, and Kennard. Then they are adding the 1 and 2 ranked players in Giles and Tatum and a top 20 guard in Jackson. By far Coach K's deepest team he has ever had and at least the 5th most talented behind 92, 99, 01, and 15 (all final 4 teams). Duke's big problem this year was depth but that will be solved next year. If you think URI will definitely beat Duke and Cincy then you must be envisioning a 40-0 season.

And yes if you couldn't tell I am a Duke fan but will be rooting for URI at mohegan.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I follow an ACC team and watch the league closely. I knew saying that they were not very good would stir some here.

But when I say not very good, I meant relative to the ACC and then the other elite teams across the country.

Grayson Allen was inconsistent. So was Kennard. Allen doesn't really play defense. I agree that if Jefferson was healthy then Duke would have been better but if you don't think that team was limited then you wear Duke glasses. I don't think they were capable of a 2 seed. The top 3 in the ACC was a gridlock. Duke wasn't breaking in there with a Jefferson. He is a good player but not enough to push them into that top 3.

As far as the freshmen class? That stuff is hit or miss. Some years it all comes together and some years it is much less of a factor. Like I said Ingram is an incredible player and they are replacing him with what is coming. Not sure Tatum will be better next year than what Ingram was this year.

I just feel strongly that the guys coming back and the freshman coming in won't be big into defense or rebounding. Coach K's teams in those departments have really lost their dominance and they even look pedestrian lately. Bomani Jones is one national type that notes Duke's decline on defense, which was once their calling card.

URI easily beat them? no. But if an A10 team full of all conference type players gets Duke on or near their home floor then I expect that team to likely win. Look at GW beating UVA. UVA was a #1 seed and that wasn't a surprising victory.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is a wildly optimistic outlook, but they don't call them Keaney Blue Colored Glasses for nothing.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I follow an ACC team and watch the league closely. I knew saying that they were not very good would stir some here.

But when I say not very good, I meant relative to the ACC and then the other elite teams across the country.

Grayson Allen was inconsistent. So was Kennard. Allen doesn't really play defense. I agree that if Jefferson was healthy then Duke would have been better but if you don't think that team was limited then you wear Duke glasses. I don't think they were capable of a 2 seed. The top 3 in the ACC was a gridlock. Duke wasn't breaking in there with a Jefferson. He is a good player but not enough to push them into that top 3.

As far as the freshmen class? That stuff is hit or miss. Some years it all comes together and some years it is much less of a factor. Like I said Ingram is an incredible player and they are replacing him with what is coming. Not sure Tatum will be better next year than what Ingram was this year.

I just feel strongly that the guys coming back and the freshman coming in won't be big into defense or rebounding. Coach K's teams in those departments have really lost their dominance and they even look pedestrian lately. Bomani Jones is one national type that notes Duke's decline on defense, which was once their calling card.

URI easily beat them? no. But if an A10 team full of all conference type players gets Duke on or near their home floor then I expect that team to likely win. Look at GW beating UVA. UVA was a #1 seed and that wasn't a surprising victory.
You're whole 2nd and 3rd paragraph talks about this year's team and I agree they were not very good which is why they had their second worse NCAA seed in 19 years. The reason why they were bad defensively this year was because they only went 6 deep so guys had to play very soft so they didnt get in foul trouble. But we are talking about next year and even if you hate Duke you have to agree they are loaded and deep and a clear cut preseason number 1.

If you truly expect URI to "likely win" against Duke then you would be smart to place a bet because URI will be around 7 point underdogs in Vegas so you can get a very good return on a moneyline bet. I'd love for URI to win that tournament. Doing so would put them in the top 10 in late November but I am not expecting it and would be happy with just getting a W vs cincy

I didn't know people actually listened to Bohami Jones lol
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Updated for the last pre-season bracketology before games get underway. Rhody is 6 seed in West against Michigan.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Orlando in mid March huh?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BK is ready for Orlando in March

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would sign for that right now......
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Would be an expensive flight, but good luck stopping me from being there!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

6 seed makes sense with our 23rd ranking
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Joe Lunardi says Rhode Island is overrated in his preseason Bracketology as a 6 seed. Insider Content

By the way, I just signed up for a month of insider to see if it is worth it this season. In this article, Lunardi simply lists a few teams who are overrated and Rhode Island is one of them.

Here they are:
Villanova, Saint Mary's, UCLA, Connecticut, Rhode Island

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... season-acc
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Joe Lunardi says Rhode Island is overrated in his preseason Bracketology as a 6 seed.

http://es.pn/2bGYCzJ
If being overrated means a 6 seed I'll take that everyday.
Last edited by Rhody15 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

How can he project as a "6 seed" and call being #23 overrated? Doesn't the math call for 6 seeds (theoretically) being #21-#24?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He is a St Joe's employee....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ahhhh, that's right, got it
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm sorry, we're overrated until we prove we belong there.......we'll know soon enough........
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

How is that different from all the other teams?
Players on theses teams know little if anything about teams of 2,4,5,10,20 years ago. Fans know about history buy by in large players do not.
Players know much more about one another than fans in general. Players go up against one another in High School, High School National Tournaments, AAU play, etc.
I think the history of NCAA past performance is much overrated by fans regarding the effect it has on these kids.
URI does not have much more to "prove" than any other school. In fact, one could say that with a starting line up of 3 seniors and 2 juniors that this team has less to prove than others starting a bunch of freshmen and SOPH s.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's hope we can prove it on the floor that we live up to our pre season ranking , that's what we need to do
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

JOE LUNARDI IS OVER-RATED---------GO RAMS
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......just win the next one.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In Lunardi's bracket that came out today he has us as a seven seed in Orlando against Florida State
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Would be a home game for Florida State....try again Joe.......
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How about Florida State getting beat by Temple today which is only a few days after Temple got beat by New Hampshire at HOME. This is one reason for not letting up at all tomorrow night vs Belmont.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Temple also lost to UMass.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No easy games for quite a while......if we don't play well, we could lose any of them.......
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody83 wrote:Temple also lost to UMass.
That was the "I'll kill you, Cslipari!" game.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Lunardi has us at a 7 seed in his latest Bracketology released about an hour ago. Still in very good shape after the loss to Valpo.

Need to right the ship against PC for sure, but the "sky is falling" crowd really needs to relax. The Valpo loss wasn't a bad one on the resume, just a missed opportunity for a quality win.

Not that it matters, but he has us in Greenville which is the new location after the ban from the HB2 law. Originally, it was Greensboro, NC aka Tar Heel/Dukie country.
Last edited by BPR2010 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

BPR2010 wrote:Lunardi has us at a 7 seed in his latest Bracketology released about an hour ago. Still in very good shape after the loss to Valpo.

Need to right the ship against PC for sure, but the "sky is falling" crowd really needs to relax. The Valpo loss wasn't a bad one on the resume, just a missed opportunity for a quality win.

Not that it matters, but he has us in Greenville which is the new location after the ban from the HB2 law. Originally, it was Greensboro, NC aka Tar Heel/Dukie country.
Greenville would flat out rock...I go there about every month for business and stay at the Hyatt around the corner...
0 x
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Lunardi's updated bracket today has us as an 8 seed, down a seed from last week. As has been repeated many times here over the past week, last week's losses weren't daggers, but just missed opportunities to solidify our resume. To me, this was fairly reflected in the update today.

That being said, going forward without Hass (for who knows how long), will be quite a test and challenge for this team. Interested to see how we perform without him and then once he returns.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

BPR2010 wrote:Lunardi's updated bracket today has us as an 8 seed, down a seed from last week. As has been repeated many times here over the past week, last week's losses weren't daggers, but just missed opportunities to solidify our resume. To me, this was fairly reflected in the update today.

That being said, going forward without Hass (for who knows how long), will be quite a test and challenge for this team. Interested to see how we perform without him and then once he returns.
BPR SHUT UP YOURE AN IDIOT! WE'RE NOT MAKING THE NCAA'S! STOP WITH YOUR BLIND OPTIMISM! WHERE WERE YOU THE LAST WEEK WE DIDN'T GET INVITED TO THE NCAA'S AND HURLEY CONTINUES TO FAIL US!!

THE SEASON IS OVER! JIM BARON IS OUR COACH!
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Those games aren't bad losses losses now but it leaves less room for error the rest of the schedule and will put more pressure on us later in the season. Especially now depending on how long Hass is out we may see just how big one of those wins could have been. Road games like Saint Joes, Umass, La Salle, Richmond and George Mason could now be closer to must win games. If we win against Valpo or Providence it just gives us a little more breathing room in terms of what we need to accomplish to make the tournament.

The opposite can be said about the Cincy win. I figured we'd need at least 3 top 50 RPI wins to make the tournament, now we have 1 of 3 and play VCU and Dayton at home for hopefully those other two wins. For now at least, it takes the pressure off us to have to win a big road game like the one at Dayton.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Sorry, but talking about seeds in mid summer, is insanity.
Lunardi said Villanova was overrated.
Who's the number one team in the rankings today?
Lets just get in and worry about seeding, later.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

Just a sanity check, that's all. It's a good barometer of where we are at this point in time, but obviously not predictive of the future at all.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right. Means we haven't disqualified ourselves even after a frustrating and disappointing week.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're still alive I guess......a win Saturday would be huge....and then 3 more likely wins and we're 10-3 going to Dayton....and hopefully HM back at full strength.....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Would be nice if come the middle and towards the end of the season we're talking about seeding and not whether or not we're going to get in.

Hopefully we can put a run together and look consistently like the team that played against Cincy. Then I'll have no doubt in my mind we're a tournament team.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
BPR2010 wrote:Lunardi's updated bracket today has us as an 8 seed, down a seed from last week. As has been repeated many times here over the past week, last week's losses weren't daggers, but just missed opportunities to solidify our resume. To me, this was fairly reflected in the update today.

BPR SHUT UP YOURE AN IDIOT! WE'RE NOT MAKING THE NCAA'S! STOP WITH YOUR BLIND OPTIMISM! WHERE WERE YOU THE LAST WEEK WE DIDN'T GET INVITED TO THE NCAA'S AND HURLEY CONTINUES TO FAIL US!!

BM...take it easy......like most teams, THEY ARE NEITHER 'IN' OR 'OUT' YET'.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

BM...take it easy......like most teams, THEY ARE NEITHER 'IN' OR 'OUT' YET'.
Wait.....you mean they are not out yet???? What? :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x