Bryant FB Coach resigns !?!?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Bryant FB Coach resigns !?!?

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Re: Bryant FB Coach resigns !?!?

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Over 13 years Fine has a winning record 80-61. If a URI coach had a similar record he would be a "legend". As an example, Bob Griffin has a losing record over 18 years - 100-127-1. I think the point here is that Bryant wants more out of its football program - presumably NEC championships and FCS playoffs. They have sent a clear message and it came right from the top of the school - the President. What does URI strive for in football? I think football is important to URI, but if it isn't important at the highest level of the school to the point that not being the equal of UNH, Maine, Albany, Stony Brook, and even Delaware is unacceptable, then we will not be a program worth keeping.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Uncle Ed wrote:Over 13 years Fine has a winning record 80-61. If a URI coach had a similar record he would be a "legend". As an example, Bob Griffin has a losing record over 18 years - 100-127-1. I think the point here is that Bryant wants more out of its football program - presumably NEC championships and FCS playoffs. They have sent a clear message and it came right from the top of the school - the President. What does URI strive for in football? I think football is important to URI, but if it isn't important at the highest level of the school to the point that not being the equal of UNH, Maine, Albany, Stony Brook, and even Delaware is unacceptable, then we will not be a program worth keeping.

So the big question is "why isn't the program at that level"? Why is Bryant there and URI is not? What specifically is the difference(s)?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Bryant had high level of Admin support for football, how else can you go from no football, to D-3, to NEC in 25 years without Admin Support.
Facilities are going to be top, with indoor practice facility.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OBRAM wrote:Bryant had high level of Admin support for football, how else can you go from no football, to D-3, to NEC in 25 years without Admin Support.
Facilities are going to be top, with indoor practice facility.
Do you think that being a Private School helps them to move more quickly and to expand their facilities?

Have you heard anything about any Facilities improvements on the horizon for URI yet?
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

I think being a private school absolutely allows them to move more quickly. I think they have absolutely aligned their sports programs as a key marketing tool for the school. They are making big investments in their facilities - I assume basketball facilities will be next - and with the firing(that is what it was) of Fine they are saying that winning matters. Remember their 5-6 record this year is on top of underachieving the previous year when they were the preseason favorite to win the NEC.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hell if we had a 5-6 record there would be a parade on Upper College Rd..... Fleming would be anointed CFL.......comparing the level of commitment for football between Bryant and URI, well there isn't any comparison......

Actions speak way louder than words, and Thorr's words when it comes to football are all hollow.....at URI acceptance of incompetence is the status quo when it comes to a lot of programs, not just football....sad but true.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe this move by Bryant serves as a wake up call to Thorr and to President Dooley?

New Expanded Seating for Baseball a Blockbuster Plan for Meade Field Expansion and Renovation!!!!

Think BIG!!
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

URI like many State schools is in an enviable position, they offer a quality education at an "affordable" price, at least when compared to private schools, and especially true for students majoring in "STEM" studies. Look at the growth in enrollment and all the building happening on campus. Sports are important to a point, but they are not driving the ship. A school like Bryant or a more successful example like Quinnipiac are banking on athletics to enhance their brand and their justify their $55,000+ tuition. What does this mean for URI athletics? They just are not that important to the big picture unless alumni demand it and are willing to pick up the tab.
0 x