Rhody FB Insiders Club-JMU line up!!

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Re: Rhody FB Insiders Club-JMU line up!!

Unread post by spookydog »

STC wrote:You guys are correct, I misspoke about the final 6:37. I had been following the game on ESPN and the game just stopped at 6:37 when I was tracking it but they did finish the game.
I thought the same thing happened when I was following on ESPN.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Game of the week in FCS play this Saturday will be JMU at Richmond
James Madison is ranked 5th and Richmond is ranked 6th in last weeks poll. New pol is due out today.

Good story, Obram, about JMU.
Most headlines talk about who the candidates are to fill spots in the big 12 if and when they expand, but there is also the competition to back fill spots vacated in leagues like the AAC that have solid football and basketball leagues.
James Madison is clearly lining themselves up as a candidate for the AAC and others. UMASS also will be a candidate for the AAC.

The schools tend to go to the football conferences first, and if basketball fits too all the better.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/f ... aches-poll
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Also, I believe Maine went to JMU a few years ago in a playoff game and won the game. So, we maybe can't compete with JMU year in , year out, (to put it mildly) , however we should be able to field a team as good as Maine.
Maine.
1. Did they ever complain about travel expense?
2. do they have a Stadium that looks like a High School Stadium?
3. Did anyone ever hear of Maine dropping football and putting all the money into hockey or any other sport?

NO, NO, NO to all questions
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

The GoLocalProv article is...pointless. Mentioning Concussions seems a bit of a stretch.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is the article
Says football should be dropped because of concussions? So doesn't that mean NFL, Colleges, High Schools and Rec Leagues should drop it too? What kind of a reason is that for URI to drop football?

Does not produces a profit - so doesn't that mean that all sports should therefore be dropped because they do not have a return on investment?

Article clearly had an agenda..........

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/edito ... all-at-uri
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting comments made to the GoLocalProv article especially those from a former URI Football Player
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

so after we drop football, and get hockey, and are not competitive in Hockey, do we drop hockey then?
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OBRAM wrote:so after we drop football, and get hockey, and are not competitive in Hockey, do we drop hockey then?
The article also said that URI had 50% more players on the roster from New Jersey than from Rhode Island.
Again shows the lack of knowledge from the writer regarding where players at URI have hailed from over the years. A good article would have shown the number of players from Rhode Island on the URI Roster for the past 20 years. The writer would be quite surprised.

First and foremost ----- Keep football at URI
Enhance the Stadium and overall facilities
Keep bringing in solid recruiting classes as in the past 2 years

If URI and URI Students and Alumni and people in RI want Hockey than by all means bring in Hockey. But this does not need to be at the expense of Football
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:Here is the article
Says football should be dropped because of concussions? So doesn't that mean NFL, Colleges, High Schools and Rec Leagues should drop it too? What kind of a reason is that for URI to drop football?

Does not produces a profit - so doesn't that mean that all sports should therefore be dropped because they do not have a return on investment?

Article clearly had an agenda..........

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/edito ... all-at-uri
This isn't exactly a fair representation of what the article says. The concussion mention is two sentences, I opened it up expecting the whole thing to be about concussions. There is more discussed about the futility of the program and what other schools that have dropped football have done with that money.

Plus, it's clearly stated that it is an editorial. The very definition of an editorial is to give an opinion. So your comment about it clearly having an agenda really holds no merit.
Last edited by adam914 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The ex-player is right when he says you get what you pay for....

I'm no fan of GoLocalProv, but they are right on this one.....time to move on from football......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The editorial has no author. No name then seems to me to be a representation of the Station, just as an Editorial By the Projo Endorsing Hilary Clinton is representative of the Projo as a whole since it has no specific Author.

One of the commentators to the article mentioned it having an agenda

I mentioned 3 things I did not care for in the article, not just concussions.
1. Said URI should drop football because of concussions.......isn't that against football as a whole? not just URI?
2. New Jersey has 50% more football players on the URI Roster than Rhode Island has......no history given at all to show that in actuality URI has more Rhode Island born and bred footballers than in past history
3. Team does not produce a Profit so go to Hockey instead. So would Hockey turn a profit? Of course not

The article was weak, poorly written, poorly researched, just a trashing of the University of Rhode Island football program and the school.

Not surprised at all that nobody would put their name to it
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, maybe it was, but the theme was right:

The URI football program deserves all the trashing it gets....and the administration fiddles while the program burns......
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The theme was right only if you want URI to drop the Football Program. Most here do want the program dropped so most will like the article.

If you don't want the URI Football Program dropped then the theme is wrong.

But bottom line, the reasons for dropping the program were weak. Concussions, New Jersey has 50% more players on the roster then Rhode Island, Go to Hockey to make money........

Dooley, Thorr, Flemming........all need to figure out how to turn this program around. Period.

But I am NOT for dropping the program. Nor am I behind dropping any other sport at URI due to poor performance. Fix the performance.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:The theme was right only if you want URI to drop the Football Program. Most here do want the program dropped so most will like the article.

If you don't want the URI Football Program dropped then the theme is wrong.

But bottom line, the reasons for dropping the program were weak. Concussions, New Jersey has 50% more players on the roster then Rhode Island, Go to Hockey to make money........

Dooley, Thorr, Flemming........all need to figure out how to turn this program around. Period.

But I am NOT for dropping the program. Nor am I behind dropping any other sport at URI due to poor performance. Fix the performance.
It's not just the poor performance, it's the lack of any solution to the problem. If there was a plan to improve facilities I'd be all for keeping the program in hopes that we'd become competitive but unfortunately Thorr's solution is saying "we just need to win games". That's the issue. We've been bad for so long that I just don't know how anyone thinks things are magically going to turn around.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Exactly. I've been critical of Fleming, but this problem is above his pay grade. This is a Thorr issue, he needs to articulate the road map for success. If he can't articulate the path forward or achieve it then the program needs to be dropped. Saying we'll be judged on wins is the destination and is unacceptable to the future of the program without the road map of how to get there
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is the article from GoLocalProv

I went back to look at Rhode Islanders on the Roster the past 10 years versus New Jersey:
First of all, URI has always has a lot of students from New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania............but here it is:
2016 Rhode Island 14 New Jersey 21
2015 Rhode Island 18 New Jersey 20
2014 Rhode Island 18 New Jersey 17
2013 Rhode Island 20 New Jersey 13
2012 Rhode Island 19 New Jersey 13
2011 Rhode Island 18 New Jersey 18
2010 Rhode Island 15 New Jersey 17
2009 Rhode Island 17 New Jersey 18
2008 Rhode Island 20 New Jersey 22
2007 Rhode Island 18 New Jersey 18
Average over 10 years: Rhode Island 17.7 New Jersey 17.7

Exactly the same number of Players from each state over 10 years. So now because in 1 year New Jersey has 50% more players on our roster that this is a reason to drop the program????? Not much in the historical research department done here.
"A winning, revenue-generating athletic team can help elevate alumni engagement, student body excitement and drive applications." A Winning Football team will drive applications? I don't believe that the success during the Ehrhardt helped drive applications. Cutino Mobley? Tyson Wheeler? Lamar Odom? Sly Williams? Tom Garrick? These guys helped increase applications......
"but this program is a weight around the college's neck. It reinforces a loser reputation" huh????? URI Basketball is doing great with Top 25 rankings in AP and USA Today Coaches Poll plus many others plus looking great for the future as well.

I hope our "loser reputation school" demolishes the GoLocalProv favorite team at the Dunk on December 3rd.

EDITORIAL: It Is Time to Drop Football at URI
Sunday, October 30, 2016
EDITORIAL
The URI football team is not competitive and has not been competitive in decades. Its loss Saturday was just the latest example of the futility of the program. The team suffered its worst loss in history and the worst beating in the league's history by losing 84-7.
The team had 12 passing yards and six turnovers -- maybe the most pathetic statistic ever recorded in the program's history.
Meanwhile, the roster of the state university's football team has fifty percent more players from New Jersey than it does from Rhode Island (21 to 14).
URI has only had one winning coach in its history. Head Coach Robert Bingham recorded a win-loss of 6-3 in the one season he coached in 1912.
Rhode Islanders loved the Tom Ehrhardt era, but it was 30 years ago. It was a different time. Since Ehrhardt’s team, URI has only had three winning seasons.
And, URI football has had six 1-win seasons and one winless season.
Take Heed and Follow Suit
Peer colleges like Northeastern, Boston University and Hofstra all dropped football and invested in their most competitive programs, strengthened all their men’s and women’s sports, and launched new programs.
URI could take men’s and women’s hockey from club to compete at a higher level. Or follow BU’s model and invest in men’s lacrosse -- in just three years in Division I lacrosse they made the top 20.
Moreover, there are real concerns about the impact of brain injury caused by the sport. Student-athletes should not be subject to injury for the sake of adhering to some bygone era.
President David Dooley and all college Presidents know that a winning, revenue-generating athletic team can help elevate alumni engagement, student body excitement and drive applications, but this program is a weight around the college's neck. It reinforces a loser reputation and this program generates no net revenue.
The University of Rhode Island has a logical and positive decision to make this year. It is time to end the football team and reinvent the University’s overall sports programs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I agree that wins and losses will not solve he problem.
Changing Head Coach does not solve the problem.
Need to upgrade the facilities
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Waiting for the team to start winning BEFORE committing to any improvements seems to be the way the admin is going...

That's not going to work sorry to say....
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

There needs to be a catalyst for change...just saying you want change doesn't mean it will happen. There needs to be something that can be pointed to, such as a new stadium...in fact, I think that is the only thing that can right this ship. Another coaching change is same 'ol, same 'ol...at this point it means nothing. What are the schools options:

1. change nothing... :oops:
2. change coach...been there done that :lol:
3. drop down a level, and have no interest and maybe still no success :?:
4. drop the program...put it out of its misery :(
5. huge upgrade to facilities which re-energizes program :D
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

5. huge upgrade to facilities which re-energizes program :D

Completely agree

Even if a plan is simply rolled out for the future - just need some kind of hope.
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

3. drop down a level, and have no interest and maybe still no success

Why would dropping down a level cause lesser interest in the program? We are not in the top level. Notre Dame isn"t coming to Kingston. Really- wouldn't a win over Bryant or Robert Morris be more enjoyable than a loss to Stony Brook or Elon? Tailgating with a chance for a victory is better than what we have now.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Who's to say we would be competitive even at a lower level?

Lower level would save money on scholarships, since we would have less of them.....

The coaching staff would be recruiting at a lower level also.

Hell, our facilities are worse than many D2 programs.....would any money saved be put into better facilities? I doubt it.....

Would be a great excuse to not do anything......
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:5. huge upgrade to facilities which re-energizes program :D

Completely agree

Even if a plan is simply rolled out for the future - just need some kind of hope.
This seems like the only shot, and still a gamble...roll out a plan for future development of the facilities...as it is right now, if you're a decent player, what's the incentive to come here?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I know this last recruiting class was highly rated, but were they overrated?

I guess we'll know in a year or two. Certainly looks like they still don't have a QB other than Mroz......

I know if I was a CAA level recruit, I wouldn't come here.....playing time or no playing time.....
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:5. huge upgrade to facilities which re-energizes program :D

Completely agree

This seems like the only shot, and still a gamble...roll out a plan for future development of the facilities...as it is right now, if you're a decent player, what's the incentive to come here?
Exactly, it's still a gamble. The Ryan Center opened in 2002 and we might finally make the NCAA tournament in 2017. Obviously that had a lot to do with a poor coaching hire and a bad decision to extend the contract but the same thing could happen with football.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bunky weighs in on the embarrassing beat down.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... i-football
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

He used every one of his catch phases in one paragraph.

I may be wrong that interest would drop if we played in the NEC...I just know would for me.

What is the reward for the top NEC team each year? Do they have a shot actually winning the FCS Championship? It seems that the reward is just getting to lose in the FCS playoffs. It's a one bid league, with no shot at winning; It's like being a 16 seed in the NCAA tourney. I also assume that the NEC schools don't expect much interest, since the average seating capacity at their facilities is about 3,500 excluding Sacred Heart at about 13,000. Duquesne only seat 2,200 and Bryant seats 4,400. So if you want to maybe be a big fish in a small pond only to get destroyed by the big boys, then dropping down is the solution. Unfortunately it probably is the best solution if we cant get significant improvements to our facilities, because he's right, football at URI isn't fun anymore and hasn't been for a while.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Reynolds asks what we're doing in the same league as JMU when in fact JMU was in the Yankee Conference and has been playing URI for nearly 25 years. He could have fact checked this a little better,
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bunky does not fact check. He doesn't even take written notes when he's watching a live sporting event... never mind bring a laptop (Probably doesn't own one).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

James Madison could win the FCS this year. There is a good chance they could be in the AAC within 2 years if the Big 12 Expands and takes some teams from the AAC that require backfilling. James Madison is definitely tracking towards FBS Football.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Reynolds took the typical RI defeatist route vis a vis the URI football program. Rather than think of making the fixes so that it compete with other regional New England schools (UNH and UMaine) with similar size/budget constraints along with poor local recruiting talent, he takes the surrender and throw in the towel approach. The first step in continued mediocrity is acceptance of it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:Reynolds took the typical RI defeatist route vis a vis the URI football program. Rather than think of making the fixes so that it compete with other regional New England schools (UNH and UMaine) with similar size/budget constraints along with poor local recruiting talent, he takes the surrender and throw in the towel approach. The first step in continued mediocrity is acceptance of it.
Have we seen ANYTHING that indicates that they have NOT ALREADY taken this approach?
Maybe they haven't come right out and said it, but what has anyone seen that would make you think otherwise?

(I honestly hope someone has an answer for this, because like the previous poster says...not really much fun anymore...)
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I bet anyone who took JMU and gave 70 points was sweating that game out.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Reynolds took the typical RI defeatist route vis a vis the URI football program. Rather than think of making the fixes so that it compete with other regional New England schools (UNH and UMaine) with similar size/budget constraints along with poor local recruiting talent, he takes the surrender and throw in the towel approach. The first step in continued mediocrity is acceptance of it.
Have we seen ANYTHING that indicates that they have NOT ALREADY taken this approach?
Maybe they haven't come right out and said it, but what has anyone seen that would make you think otherwise?

(I honestly hope someone has an answer for this, because like the previous poster says...not really much fun anymore...)
Only thing we've heard as far as I know is that Thorr and the URI administration believe football is important and claim they're committed to it. Thorr claims he has all the confidence in the world that we'll see growth and the best measure of growth is wins and losses.

That's from this article http://ripr.org/post/after-disastrous-s ... -maybe-not

So to answer your question, no, we have not seen anything that indicates they have not already accepted mediocrity. If I had to guess I think URI just doesn't see investing in football as a good move right now. There's just not much interest in college football around the northeast especially for FCS teams. Even if we built a brand new stadium and hired a decent coach what would the return on investment be?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I think we can get 12,000 on a good weather homecoming or family day with good weather and good team. Brown U. got more than this during Night games vs. Harvard, but they did not do a night game this year. More for a playoff game in good weather meaning not rain or snow, which would imply we have a very good team. We are really missing out on the excitement of a playoff game on campus like, 1984,1985.

Note that I doubt we could ever have a playoff game with the facilities we have currently.
Last edited by OBRAM 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This 84-7 devastation has made casual fans around the State take notice.....I have overheard many people talking about it and saying Rhode Island should get out of that conference....they don't even know the name of the conference....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
josephski
Tom Garrick

OBRAM wrote:I think we can get 12,000 on a good weather homecoming or family day with good weather and good team. Brown U. got more than this during Night games vs. Harvard, but they did not do a night game this year. More for a playoff game in good weather meaning not rain or snow, which would imply we have a very good team. We are really missing out on the excitement of a playoff game on campus like, 1984,1985.

Note that I doubt we could ever have a playoff game with the facilities we have currently.
If we could get 12,000 for homecoming and average around 9,000-10,000 fans for home attendance then I think it definitely would be worth spending more money on the program. I'm not sure if that's possible but I hope URI has someone who's at least looking at stuff like this to determine whether it's likely or not.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't think we could get 12,000...there aren't enough seats...anyway it's not happening....maybe if we could win some games down the road BEFORE commitments are made on infrastructure we could get 8-9,000...but is that by itself a difference maker?

Doubt it.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Well yea the only way we get 12,000 fans is if renovations are done and we add seats. I'm not sure what our current ceiling is but I don't think it's more than 4-5 wins. If we keep waiting for wins to make a commitment on infrastructure then we may be waiting a very long time. As I said in my other comment, the URI administration needs to do some research and figure out where we can go with football.

I think attendance is a huge factor because even if you're a national powerhouse in terms of FCS football it still doesn't provide the school with the coverage an FBS team will get. If URI doesn't think we can do much better than 5-6000 people for home attendance then I think pulling the program or dropping down a division are the only two options. Renovations and hiring a better (more expensive) coaching staff is not worth the money if it's only a small percentage of people we're catering to.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The east stands HAVE to be replaced at some point.......unless football is dropped that is....
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Sitting on those east stands with a tuba for 4 years was shaky on a good day, and downright scary on the rainy days.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Yes, I meant to say, 12,000 with a upgrade to facilities, and a good team.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

The URI football team is a punters heaven. Think about the exposure!
Redshirt freshman Oliver Graybar punted eight times for 350 yards, an average of 43.5 per attempt It is the fifth time this season Graybar has punted for more than 300 yards.
Also as a side note, they were talking about this game on the radio up here in NH the other day. I'm sure they were talking about it across the country too. This is incredibly embarrassing.
Last edited by Justns11 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rho ... 93236?mt=2

Discussion about Bill Reynolds article about URI football starts at about 21:00 in Episode 24. We talk about the state of the program, what we see from the outside perspective, and what we would like to see URI accomplish. Check it out!
Last edited by rhodyfan3 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

rhodyfan3 wrote:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rho ... 93236?mt=2

Discussion about Bill Reynolds article about URI football starts at about 21:00 in Episode 24. We talk about the state of the program, what we see from the outside perspective, and what we would like to see URI accomplish. Check it out!
Really enjoy the podcast guys, makes another good addition to my commute.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

thatRamBand wrote:
rhodyfan3 wrote:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rho ... 93236?mt=2

Really enjoy the podcast guys, makes another good addition to my commute.
Thank you! Appreciate it.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Louisville 52 - BC 7 Re: Rhody FB Insiders Club-JMU line up!!

Unread post by OBRAM »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... =400869476

I know 52 isn't 84, but maybe Louisville let up. Still it was at Chestnut Hill.
0 x