Rhody FB Insiders Club-JMU line up!!

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rhody FB Insiders Club-JMU line up!!

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Rhode Island at James Madison
Sat 10/29 385 Rhode Island +31½ -120 o68½ -120
3:30PM 386 James Madison -31½ -120 u68½ -120

Juicy,real juicy.

HK-when you need to know
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: Rhody FB Insiders Club-JMU line up!!

Unread post by Bos8 »

Hopefully you bet the over and took JMU. They should beat the over on their own!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

JMU up 70-7 with a couple minutes to go in the third. That juice Hal was seeing looks like blood
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

WTF!!!

70-7 with a full quarter to play?? Come on.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The statistics from this game are almost unreal....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/bo ... =400872728
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Goes without saying- JMU is really really good. I believe they are the only undefeated team left in the conference. Have you ever been down there? With the recent renovations to their stadium (I believe it's called Bridge Stadium), there are FBS teams that would be jealous. I would imagine it holds close to 30,000 and
The final two games should be a better barometer as to where we stand. Vazzano is really struggling. 4-22 for 12 yards with 4 interceptions. He's thrown 2 pick 6's, which means he has more yards for JMU then for us. Does McKoy get another look?
Last edited by Bos8 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Be prepared to vomit or smash something or both.
IMG_3130.PNG
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

JMU up to 84 with nine minutes to go. The over was 68.5.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Juicy!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I hope someone bet their house on it. That's probably the only way to raise revenue for this football program.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Did they just end the game with 6:37 left?

This truly is rock bottom.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

84-7.

"Juicy, real juicy."

Gimme a break.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hahahaha that box score!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Get rid of the program.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What
a
freekn
embarrassment....
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Bos8 wrote:Goes without saying- JMU is really really good. I believe they are the only undefeated team left in the conference. Have you ever been down there? With the recent renovations to their stadium (I believe it's called Bridge Stadium), there are FBS teams that would be jealous. I would imagine it holds close to 30,000 and
The final two games should be a better barometer as to where we stand. Vazzano is really struggling. 4-22 for 12 yards with 4 interceptions. He's thrown 2 pick 6's, which means he has more yards for JMU then for us. Does McKoy get another look?

My gosh...I really want them to do well....but 'pathetic' is the only appropriate description.
I just pray none of the kids got seriously hurt...
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Beyond totally unacceptable
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

from gorhody.com

How it Happened
Rhode Island (1-8, 0-6 CAA Football) allowed the most points in program history, losing 84-7 to No. 5/8 James Madison Saturday. The 77-point loss also matched the biggest deficit in league history.

I guess the good news is we didn't break the record. :oops:

This is the type of loss that should make the administration take a long look at the program. It's soul searching time...how can they in good faith keep sending these kids out there to get embarrassed each week?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't care how "good" JMU is....they are a CAA program.....are we really?

Mind boggling.....What is Dooley waiting for? Some white knight to ride into Kingston waving millions of dollars around to upgrade facilities and pay for a competent staff?

It's very sad actually.....Think Big We Do doesn't apply to the football program in the slightest way....

The beatings will continue until either a serious commitment is made, or getting rid of it all....

Frigging joke......
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Hahahaha that box score!
I guess it's healthier to laugh at it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Incredible ineptitude.

From the top down.....Thorr should be ashamed of himself.....
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I think we all know where this program stands. This is as bad a beating as I can remember. Totally pathetic and unacceptable, for any level.
At least everyone should have gotten in.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Fucking embarrassing.

I don't know why anyone expects things to change. It's hilarious too because people on this board posted Thor's comments in the offseason about being "behind" the football program. He's been here 9 years and nothing has changed.

We'll probably win 1 more game and people will talk about how this team showed some positive stuff and they're just young. Then we'll get to next year and we'll see the same people hyping up the team. We'll have a similar attendance next year because people either assume this team will get better or are ok with paying for a shit product. Then we'll have another terrible season and the cycle will continue.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This team has sucked in anonymity for a long time. when you lose 84-7 people take notice.

I talked to several alumni today and all said drop the program. I'm still of the mind to keep the program but make a legitimate investment in the program.

What happened today was rock bottom, a total fiasco.

JMU had 1st and 10 at the URI 2 with a chance to drop 90+.

The game was called with 6:37 left on the clock.

This was a in conference opponent not a buy game to take a beatdown.

If there are no immediate plans to build a stadium and get competitive with our facilities I see no reason to keep this program.

I hope the necessary investments are made but if I had any confidence they would be then I think the administration would not have let it get to this point.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They would have had 100 if the game went to the end...with the JMU scrubs in the game!

URI has ONE competent QB [Mroz} and he's injured, but the defense doesn't exist.......
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

This is embarrassing.

The worst loss before this that I know of was 57-0 against UMass in 1963.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only reason I can think of why URI isn't canning this shit show of a program, is they're waiting for money from the BB program's future NCAA tourney success to come rolling in......

Of course none of that is guaranteed whatsoever.....a desperate gamble is more likely......and whatever money does come, won't be anywhere near enough to do what they have to do to get football on a level playing field with the rest of the CAA.....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Why are people getting so upset with just one loss? Face it, this program has been bad for some time and it is directly tied to the longtime lack of support it has been given. People should have been upset many years ago and demanded better from the URI administration.

What did one expect yesterday? JMU plays in one of the best FCS stadiums in the nation and puts lots of resources into the program. URI plays in a dump and the school has operated the program on a shoestring budget for decades. JMU aspires to FBS (1A) level football while Rhody's goal is to not go win-less each season at the FCS (1AA) level.

JMU Bridgeforth Stadium (cap 25,000)
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

JAMES MADISON 84, URI 7
Dukes show no mercy
The Associated Press

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Every year that we failed to invest others didn't and now this is what we have. I live near Holy Cross and drive by their stadium all the time, and wish we had one as nice as theirs.

Capacity: 23,500
Surface: Grass
Built: 1924
Renovated: 1986
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I didn't realize the game was called with almost six minutes to play. How does that even work? Both coaches agree and they just shake hands?
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Drop the program and put the money into high level d1 lacrosse. That's got to be a lot cheaper than football and that is huge now in high schools. There is no chance in football. That was a conference game. At this point this publicity is bad for our basketball program.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I didn't realize the game was called with almost six minutes to play. How does that even work? Both coaches agree and they just shake hands?

Where is this coming from? I saw nothing in any writeup and the stats say otherwise. URI got the ball with 6:37 left in the game and ran the clock out according to a play by play list of the game:

Rhode Island at 06:37
1st and 10 at URI10 RHODE ISLAND drive start at 06:37.
1st and 10 at URI10 M. CLARKE rush for 12 yards to the URI22, 1ST DOWN URI (A. SMITH;J. BETHEA).
1st and 10 at URI22 M. CLARKE rush for 4 yards to the URI26 (B. MAGINLEY;J. DAKA).
2nd and 6 at URI26 M. CLARKE rush for 2 yards to the URI28 (B. HEREFORD;P. KAGEL).
3rd and 4 at URI28 M. CLARKE rush for 6 yards to the URI34, 1ST DOWN URI (M. JOHNSON;K. ROBINETTE).
1st and 10 at URI34 M. CLARKE rush for 3 yards to the URI37 (B. HEREFORD;M. STONE).
2nd and 7 at URI37 T. ANDERSON rush for 6 yards to the URI43 (J. DAKA;A. SMITH).
3rd and 1 at URI43 T. ANDERSON rush for 4 yards to the URI47, 1ST DOWN URI (B. MAGINLEY;M. JOHNSON).
1st and 10 at URI47 T. ANDERSON rush for loss of 4 yards to the URI43 (J. DAKA).
2nd and 14 at URI43 M. CLARKE rush for 2 yards to the URI45 (B. HEREFORD;J. DAKA).
3rd and 12 at URI45 M. CLARKE rush for 10 yards to the JMU45 (B. HEREFORD).
4th and 2 at JMU45 End of game, clock 00:00.
Total 10 plays , 45 yards Time of Possession: 6:37

Score:
Rhode Island 7-84 James Madison
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I didn't realize the game was called with almost six minutes to play. How does that even work? Both coaches agree and they just shake hands?
?? I listened to the last 6 minutes. We had Cappy come in, and put together a decent drive on the ground by handing off to Markey Clarke. Keep in mind this was after JMU took a knee and turned it over on downs. I get that people hate the program and what not, but no reason to lie and exaggerate to make the program look worse to try and get your point across.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

You guys are correct, I misspoke about the final 6:37. I had been following the game on ESPN and the game just stopped at 6:37 when I was tracking it but they did finish the game.

That said, there are still plenty of other lowlights to note.

URI's QB completed more passes to the other team than his own.

JMU's QB was 21/22 309 5 TD's.

JMU could have and should have dropped 90+ on Rhody.

This is the the kind of loss that gets people's attention. Hopefully it is the beginning of change but I highly doubt it will be.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:The only reason I can think of why URI isn't canning this shit show of a program, is they're waiting for money from the BB program's future NCAA tourney success to come rolling in......

Of course none of that is guaranteed whatsoever.....a desperate gamble is more likely......and whatever money does come, won't be anywhere near enough to do what they have to do to get football on a level playing field with the rest of the CAA.....
I'm afraid you're right, and it would be a disaster. Like you said, it wouldn't be enough to fix football plus it would hamstring the progress of the basketball program. If anyone at the university is planning this they should be fired before they can implement it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Why are people getting so upset with just one loss? Face it, this program has been bad for some time and it is directly tied to the longtime lack of support it has been given. People should have been upset many years ago and demanded better from the URI administration.

What did one expect yesterday? JMU plays in one of the best FCS stadiums in the nation and puts lots of resources into the program. URI plays in a dump and the school has operated the program on a shoestring budget for decades. JMU aspires to FBS (1A) level football while Rhody's goal is to not go win-less each season at the FCS (1AA) level.

JMU Bridgeforth Stadium (cap 25,000)
If you don't understand why people are this upset about equaling the largest margin of defeat in league history in the middle of our 15th consecutive losing season I don't know what to tell you. If you're surprised by the reaction when we lose by 77, then I just can't help you. Just know that those are you problems, not us problems.

And yeah, James Madison has a great stadium and it's lame as shit that instead of playing at the level they should be (FBS) they want to use that advantage to be a big fish in a small pond. And would I love to use our free basketball game to schedule them and do to their basketball team what they did to our football team yesterday? Oh hell yeah! But we need to look at ourselves in the mirror.

JMU has obvious advantages over us, but at the same time, we're in the same conference as them. We have the same allotment of scholarships. We're recruiting from the same general level of player. There is no excuse for yesterday. Central Connecticut is an NEC team with a 1-6 record. Their only win is against a division two team. They only lost 56-21. We damn sure should have been more competitive than CCSU was. We're not talented enough, but it goes deeper than that. Once again yesterday we treated the football like it was a live grenade. There is no excuse for having four completions and five interceptions. Once again, when things got bad our coaching staff couldn't get things under control and a nose bleed turned into a severed artery. That's been a hallmark of Fleming's teams since game one here. It seems like he can recruit based on the rankings but there's no evidence he can actually coach on gamedays effectively. And worst of all, the team just flat out quit yesterday. Despite all of our disadvantages, if the team was playing hard there's no way they lose by 77. They tapped out.

Last year when asked how the football program would be evaluated, Thorr said wins and losses. We have to win games. We're 1-8. We were 1-10 last year. We haven't had a playoff appearance since 1985, a winning season since 2001. Our football program is 18-82 since Thorr took over. Yesterday we suffered the most embarrassing loss in league history.

The wins and losses have spoken loud and clear. This program is on life support in a vegetative state. Cure it or kill it. By the end of this calendar year Thorr must produce and distribute a clear set of guidelines of how this program will improve with action items and deadlines of when they will occur. The time for empty words about wins and losses has ended, it is time for fans to know exactly what improvements to facilities and infrastructure will be made and when. If this can't be done then we shouldn't be playing football this time next year.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I'm out.

100% in the kill the program camp now.

As an alumni I am embarrassed beyond belief.

Done.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Our biggest problem isn't the stadium. It is our recruiting base. As the State University our base should be RI. Problem is that we have very few players at our high schools that are on the CAA level. Last years RI Gatorade player of the year was a 5'8 QB who was not even recruited by the NEC, Also if you were a good enough RIIL player would you come to a losing program like ours or a program like Bryant that has a chance of winning some games. I'm sure the recruits we are presently getting are not picking us over Villanova, JMU, or even UNH and Albany so we are at best getting lower CAA levei players
A new stadium may help but better would be a drop down in league so we could win some and get recruits interested.
Going down a league would also benefit other Rhody sports with extra scholarsh[ps available and also may make tailgating more enjoyable.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Look at that stadium, and they're in the same conference as Meade? How the hell is our program supposed to stick with others in this conference without the support and financing it needs? It's like bringing a stick to a machine gun fight. I would really love to know other than the coach, what has been done to help URI in the past 10 years? I want to keep a football program at this school as much as anyone, but how many times do we have to repeat ourselves. I feel like writing a letter, has anyone done that before and have a contact?
0 x
GO RAMS
PARam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PARam »

My granddaughter is at JMU so she got me a ticket. We left at halftime at 49-7. I was embarrassed to say the least. The stadium and support by alums and students was incredible. Either go to a lesser conference or get serious about the program! It was their homecoming also.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would be 100% in favor of dropping down to a lower conference than dropping the program completely.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thorr tried to do that and the boosters threw a hissy fit.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Not that many people here have much respect for GoLocalProv due to past articles, but today they have posted an editorial saying URI should discontinue the football program. I'm not linking due to prior issues people have had, if you want to read it you know where to find it.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How do our facilities compare to NEC programs?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If the program was to be discontinued, the only other sport worth investing in, is hockey, otherwise every other sport will show zero profitable increase. That's why it's important to invest in football which is arguably the most popular sport in America and most attended sport in college.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Not that many people here have much respect for GoLocalProv due to past articles, but today they have posted an editorial saying URI should discontinue the football program. I'm not linking due to prior issues people have had, if you want to read it you know where to find it.

I guess they think only private schools in RI should have football - Brown, Bryant, and Salve Regina. Some might view that as a rather elitist viewpoint.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Stowers told me about JMU facilities over 10 years ago. He said, even the new , in 2006 on the drawing board URI Strength and conditioning Center, was very small compared to other school and it took 8 more years to get that. I think JMU wants to follow in the path that Old Dominion, Charlotte, and Appl State have taken. You can recruit players to JMU saying that you may end up playing in the FBS conference. URI has no ability to do that.
With facilities, if you are standing still you are falling behind, and URI football facilities have just about been standing still for 40 years. Yes, we have the West Stands, but they just replaced the old stands, and we have a Strength and Conditioning Center, but that's about it. We don't have lights, or even field Turf on the shortened practice fields that we cut to make room for Ryan Center. We took town the Football field house, and our scoreboard is High Schoolish.
James Madison University Is Ready For The Big Time - Today's U

http://www.todaysu.com/around-the-u/jam ... -big-time/

Jul 26, 2016 - JMU's fledgling football program was just a few years old and ... that the possibility of JMU moving to the FBS level will likely be a hot topic at ...
Last edited by OBRAM 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree obv that facilities arms race is being lost but it's more than that when u haven't been competitive 28 out of 30 seasons. Coaching and QB play are two major factors. As someone pointed out central CT state was more competitive with JMU and doubt they have anything more than what URI has in infrastructure.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I think after the last second almost game tying TD failed against Maine last weekend, that that took a lot of wind out of out sails. I was expecting a loss to JMU in the 51-14 range.

Sat, Sep 3 Morehead State at JMU W 80-7
Last edited by OBRAM 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x