KeaneyBlue is Moving to a New Web Hosting Provider

Just what the name says it is. Please check frequently for news about the board.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBlue is Moving to a New Web Hosting Provider

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Update: Barring any unforeseen technical issues, I plan on locking down the site Friday night to move the database to our new host. There may be a period of time early Saturday when your internet provider hasn't yet learned of our site's new IP address. This is normal and during that time I will post our direct IP address on this site's "locked" page to help you manually access it while your computer learns the new location of KeaneyBlue.com.

Fellow Rhode Island basketball fans,

This morning I received word that our web host, Forumatic, will be shutting down all operations on December 20. I think most would agree that Forumatic has been an excellent hosting provider with its combination of speed, reliability and features.

Over the next few days, I will be making arrangements to move our community and all it's members and post history to a new hosting service provider. Fortunately, Forumatic provides a convenient export feature where our entire digital history can be packaged and redeployed onto a new host. This should be a fairly easy process with perhaps a day of downtime. We will keep our web address, KeaneyBlue.com, user accounts, site structure, post history, etc.

We are also fortunate to have received word at this time rather than during the season when traffic and discussion is at its highest. KeaneyBlue will be transitioned without any disruption during the season.

I am also excited to see what new features will be available on the new host. We will still be running the same phpBB forum software, but it will be the newest version which offers some long awaited features and customization such as a mobile-friendly responsive layout (easier to view on phones/tablets, etc) among others.

Additional details will be shared in this thread as they become available. My plan is to have the forum migration completed over this upcoming weekend when I have time to ensure its success. This will likely require this site to go read-only (no new posts/replies) for a period of time this weekend so nothing is lost in the migration.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them the best I can.

ATPTourFan
KeaneyBlue Administrator
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: KeaneyBlue is Moving to a New Web Hosting Provider

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thanks for the notice. It will be nice to have a more mobile-friendly host.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Definitely. To get an idea of how the site will automatically resize itself to your device's screen, load this from the official phpBB development community: https://www.phpbb.com/community/

We will make every effort to maintain the general look and feel of KeaneyBlue (it will not look like the demo site above), and the new host will allow for better customization than what we have today. I'm going to be leaning on Adam, our resident artist, to help with site design.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Definitely. To get an idea of how the site will automatically resize itself to your device's screen, load this from the official phpBB development community: https://www.phpbb.com/community/

We will make every effort to maintain the general look and feel of KeaneyBlue (it will not look like the demo site above), and the new host will allow for better customization than what we have today. I'm going to be leaning on Adam, our resident artist, to help with site design.

Great work ATP. Thank you for all of your leadership with this site.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thanks for taking the time to get the new site up and running. Just hit me up and let me know how I can help!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We will follow our fearless leader to whatever web hosting site he takes us to.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Fellow Rhode Island basketball fans,

This morning I received word that our web host, Forumatic, will be shutting down all operations on December 20. I think most would agree that Forumatic has been an excellent hosting provider with its combination of speed, reliability and features.

Over the next few days, I will be making arrangements to move our community and all it's members and post history to a new hosting service provider. Fortunately, Forumatic provides a convenient export feature where our entire digital history can be packaged and redeployed onto a new host. This should be a fairly easy process with perhaps a day of downtime. We will keep our web address, KeaneyBlue.com, user accounts, site structure, post history, etc.

We are also fortunate to have received word at this time rather than during the season when traffic and discussion is at its highest. KeaneyBlue will be transitioned without any disruption during the season.

I am also excited to see what new features will be available on the new host. We will still be running the same phpBB forum software, but it will be the newest version which offers some long awaited features and customization such as a mobile-friendly responsive layout (easier to view on phones/tablets, etc) among others.

Additional details will be shared in this thread as they become available. My plan is to have the forum migration completed over this upcoming weekend when I have time to ensure its success. This will likely require this site to go read-only (no new posts/replies) for a period of time this weekend so nothing is lost in the migration.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them the best I can.

ATPTourFan
KeaneyBlue Administrator

Let us know how we can contribute financially. Great job as usual.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Crazy question...... will login info stay the same or new site means have to sign up again??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

All data including user logins are preserved. My early tests have confirmed this.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Made some great progress today (after a frustrating Tuesday of failures). All user accounts/passwords, avatars, post history, private messages, etc are preserved.

I was able to upgrade the forum to the latest version which provides ability to add feature extensions and provides a mobile-responsive design. So much easier to read on your phone. No need for Tapatalk or constant zooming.

I'm still figuring out some of the top banner sizing adjustments and Adam will help create a smaller mobile-screen-sized KeaneyBlue site banner.

With today's success I'm confident that we will be able to migrate to the new server this weekend. Soon, I will post details about when the site will be locked so that the transition can take place.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We appreciate the work you do so all the rest of us can enjoy this great forum, especially the technically challenged bozos like myself.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was never able to get Tapatalk to work properly so that's good news for me. Let us know if you need donations.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Looking very good for a Friday night migration....

Here's what it looks like on the home page:

Here is a thread page with a YouTube video and Tweet:

Here's what a thread looks like, without any zooming or other nonsense, on a typical phone:

Another showing readability of text on phones:

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: KeaneyBlue is Moving to a New Web Hosting Provider Frida

Update: Barring any unforeseen technical issues, I plan on locking down the site Friday night to move the database to our new host. There may be a period of time early Saturday when your internet provider hasn't yet learned of our site's new IP address. This is normal and during that time I will post our direct IP address on this site's "locked" page to help you manually access it while your computer learns the new location of KeaneyBlue.com.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Looks good. Only question is on the first screen cap you posted, it looks like the page is flipped - is that just how it is going to look on the site now?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah. We've never made the Dance with the avatars on the left.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nice
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Looks good ATP, thanks for all the work you do for us shlubs.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: KeaneyBlue is Moving to a New Web Hosting Provider Friday

Migration was successful!
1 x