'17 PA PG - Daron Russell (URI Signed NLI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (Offer)

Unread post by twisted3829 »

0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Boom to URI!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Glad I was wrong.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We got Fatts!!!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote:If Russell picks URI in 15 minutes I'll be elated. Won't matter to me if he ends up being our only 2017 recruit he is that good. Any more recruits will be icing in the cake.
Good dribbler
Sees the court very, very well
Never gets rattled
Excellent shooter
Excellent passer
High b-ball IQ
Gets others involved
Confident
Shined in Nike AAU last summer clearly establishing himself among the elite players

Fingers crossed. I really think he becomes a Rhody Ram. Stays on one East Coast and joins a fast improving URI Rams organization. Would be a great choice :D :D :D :D

As I said,

This verbal alone has made my recruiting season. This kid is an amazing player.
Wow. What a job by this URI Coaching Staff.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Edit.
Last edited by 3wisemen 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

3wisemen wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Not to be negative, but I think it's going to be GCU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tRhC_QTpfY
Wow, a little hostile. I said what I thought. I already said I'm glad I was wrong....geesh.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (Rhode Island)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We talked about this last summer, but this staff's closing percentage when they get a recruit on campus for an official is just off the charts. When someone comes on campus other schools should just move to their plan B's. Amazing stuff from this staff.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Interesting last line from the Koch article: "URI has one scholarship remaining and is in search of a wing scorer, with the transfer or junior college routes both actively in play."
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yeah buddy!!!!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I have heard we went all in on Fatts, so much so we backed off other PGs and told them as much.
Given how stacked we are in the back court this is an impressive signing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by ramster »

Indeed it is an impressive signing!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Welcome Daron!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's what I'm talkin' about Fatts!

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Welcome to RI!
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQjcmbGyj1g

Fatz vs Quade (#3 ranked PG in country and #22 overall on ESPN)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6grkBq0JC90

Welcome to URI!
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Being preseason top 25 apparently is already paying off..

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I'm tired of the preseason hype on paper, what has it ever gotten us?!?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm tired of the preseason hype on paper, what has it ever gotten us?!?
Apparently it played a pretty big role in getting Russell to commit here, seeing how he used a picture of us ranked in his picstich.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RR2, what it means is that there aren't any excuses left.

Produce. Win. Dance. No more talk. Results.

A URI team, as far as I know, has NEVER been picked preseason top 25.

We've ended up there, but that's after overachieving in the NCAA tourney.

If the talent is as good as hyped, and the coaching follows suit, then it happens.

Show me. Do it. THEN I'm all in baby. CONVINCE ME!!!!!!

Not until.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Agreed that this is the year to prove all the hype true but preseason top 25 certainly can't hurt recruiting that's for sure.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm tired of the preseason hype on paper, what has it ever gotten us?!?
Apparently it played a pretty big role in getting Russell to commit here, seeing how he used a picture of us ranked in his picstich.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:RR2, what it means is that there aren't any excuses left.

If the talent is as good as hyped, and the coaching follows suit, then it happens.

Not until.
With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect, i don't care about that opinion when recruits are citing that hype as part of the reason they choose to come here. The hype is leading to better recruits, more TV exposure, slots in better tournaments all things that put us in a better position to succeed. I mean, it's sweet to think that teams don't need hype and they can just succeed out of relatively nowhere and the results on the court speak for themselves. It's sweet, but it's not how college basketball works in this day and age.

By the way, I'm pretty sure URI was nationally ranked in the preseason back in 99.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's nice that recruits are coming here due to expectations.

However, if those expectations aren't met, then that goes out the window in the future.

People are expecting Rhody to finally become relevant.

Do it, and they will continue to come.......
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I had a feeling we would get Fatts!!! Nice pickup...need season to start now! PG play looking solid going forward
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yeah baby!! Way to keep the ball rolling!
I'm with Fatts, I also believe he will be playing in the NCAA tournament four years in a row.

Rhody! Rhody! Rhody!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:RR2, what it means is that there aren't any excuses left.

Not until.
With all due respect, and remember I said with all due respect, i don't care about that opinion when recruits are citing that hype as part of the reason they choose to come here. The hype is leading to better recruits, more TV exposure, slots in better tournaments all things that put us in a better position to succeed. I mean, it's sweet to think that teams don't need hype and they can just succeed out of relatively nowhere and the results on the court speak for themselves. It's sweet, but it's not how college basketball works in this day and age.

By the way, I'm pretty sure URI was nationally ranked in the preseason back in 99.

You are correct. URI got solid preseason press in the 1998-1999 season.

Ranked Top 25 Preseason in both Polls:

AP November 6, 1998: Ranked 23
ESPN/USA Today November 5, 1998: Ranked 25

Enjoy the ride :-)
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Interesting tib bit on the last scholly available. A high end transfer would be a good way to get a higher end talent that we might otherwise would be able to land out of HS. Considering we have all 13 players available for this year, you would think one of the front court players will be red shirting with MT being the front runner which would put two freshmen in next year's class which isn't bad.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

I'm not that impressed. He's the #35 PG in his own class. Shouldn't a program that hopes to be in the top 25 expect to attract players who are at least in the top 25 in their own position in their class? I just don't get why everybody is so excited.
If you have the 35th best player in the country (for his class, not to mention other classes), at every position, how can you expect to be in the top 25? (which is around the level we should want to get to).
I know that he could very well be better than the 35th best PG in the country, and some players end up being way better than their HS ranking (like Hassan), but if we don't know how good he'll be, why all the excitement?
I know rankings don't mean anything in the end, but if that's all we have to go off of, why all the hype?
Either way, I'm rooting for the kid and hope he becomes a good player.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

on ESPN he is #33 at his position, and #35 committed to Michigan.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fwiw if Fatts was 6'1 180 he would be ranked higher and have attracted more high major offers. This is exactly the type of kids we should be and can attract to URI, undervalued. His game actually reminds me a lot of a hybrid between Jarvis and Tyson and i will take that any day on my team.

How many of our current players were considered Top 25 at their position coming out of High School -- Terrell and Kuran? Not even sure if EC was considered a Top 25 SG coming out of HS. Yet we have a Top 25 team, so that logic is a bit flawed.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

860_rhody wrote:I'm not that impressed. He's the #35 PG in his own class. Shouldn't a program that hopes to be in the top 25 expect to attract players who are at least in the top 25 in their own position in their class? I just don't get why everybody is so excited.
If you have the 35th best player in the country (for his class, not to mention other classes), at every position, how can you expect to be in the top 25? (which is around the level we should want to get to).
I know that he could very well be better than the 35th best PG in the country, and some players end up being way better than their HS ranking (like Hassan), but if we don't know how good he'll be, why all the excitement?
I know rankings don't mean anything in the end, but if that's all we have to go off of, why all the hype?
I appreciate an alternative perspective verses everyone else saying how good he is when 90% of us have never seen him play. That being said, I think the coaching staff has proven they can identify talent, and there are likely a few players ranked above him they don't like as much. So I pay more attention to him seemingly being their top target and getting him vs. stacking him up and against 34 other players ranked by someone living in their mothers basement. So for that reason I am excited...of course I get excited every summer/fall.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

We are succeeding out of relatively nowhere. Two years ago when we were picked to finish 6th in the A10 many people on this board didn't think we were getting enough respect. We then finished in third and the play on the court led to the current hype. It's not like there's hype because URI is known as a great basketball school.

Also I'm very excited about Russell and hope he'll be a great player but the hype hasn't led to better recruits yet. It's great that Russell selected URI because of the hype surrounding us but remember that Hurley's first real recruiting class was EC and Hassan when there was no hype surrounding the program.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Just for perspective, EC was rated an 80 on ESPN and Hassan a 77. The highest rated kid in our 2016 class is a 77. Dowtin was an 76. Russell is an 79 for perspective so according to ESPN, this is a solid get for us. All the hype about PC's two front court players they signed, they are both 80's.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Personallly....I won't be happy until we are consistently recruiting kids who turn down Kentucky, Duke and Kansas to come to Rhode Island University.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It looks like 79 is the top end cutoff for a 3 star and 80 is the beginning for 4 stars on ESPNs rating system.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ok, please bear with me, I have a lot to say about this one.

First, this video clip is just awesome. We can discuss rankings and recruiting wins and all that, but this is pure joy from a kid who's seeing the start of a dream being realized, and I think it's great.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Seems like a great kid. Have you seen him play, Ace?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Russell was absolutely a primary recruit for them. They invested a lot of recruiting resources- tracked him all summer, came to open gyms at Imhotep- and missing on a guy like that would have hurt.

"Coach Hurley's vision for him was second to none. The other schools were recruiting point guards. Danny was recruiting Daron. He was determined to get him, not just the position."

That quote is from Tahar Sutton, Daron's stepdad who is also an assistant coach at Imhotep. For a lot of reasons, I love that they finally got a Philly guy again (Biggie doesn't completely count). Imhotep always has a great team, Team Final is solid- these are good connections to have. They've been involved with several Team Final guys before but couldn't get them.

As for ranking, sure, in general, the higher the better, but, for example, Russell is higher ranked than any of the three recruits Dayton has gotten so far (Dayton! URI wishes they were Dayton)- point being, there is no direct correlation for this. The idea that top 25 teams should only get top 25 guys at their position is just silly. The math doesn't even work.

Russell committed to Rhody for a lot of the reasons guys have given over the last several years- love the coach/coaches, feel comfortable with their future teammates, trust in the staff to develop them as players. The preseason ranking is nice but what's better is the concrete things they can point to- things like solid guard development, exposure in camps like Adidas Nations, professional opportunities later.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And finally- a perfect day and a kiss from mom

If you follow the coaches on twitter, you'll see the new recruiting rules in effect, as they're now allowed to retweet/favorite/like/etc social media posts.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Very excited to see Fatts in Rhody blue. Welcome aboard!
I agree with what 15 year lurker said above about Hurley making him a priority speaks volumes.
He is small, not just short, which definitely impacted who recruited him.

Interesting that they bring in Dowtin this year, and Russell for next year. Garrett will also be back, and if Matthews comes back could be a glut at point guard. I guess this means that Thompson will be strictly a 2 guard.

Anyhow, that will all work itself out. Good signing.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I am biased, but I always love guards from Philly and South Jersey. They have played against tough competition
and are generally well coached, play both ends of the floor and are team oriented. good luck Fatts.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Great to see Jarvis and Fatts follow each other on twitter today. Jarvis will undoubtably be a senior co-captain next year and a great role model to the youngster in his freshman year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Impressive that they beat Pappy Owens for a Philly kid.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

with regards to Russell's rankings according to the scout organizations, I have no doubt that he will out play them. I'm sure there is too much emphasis on his height bringing his rankings down some. If DH targeted Russell as a top priority there is a reason. I love our recruiting since DH got here, every year I find myself thinking 'I can't wait to see *insert recruits name here* play.' Same this time, I can't wait to see Russell playing in Keaney Blue.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

860_rhody wrote:I'm not that impressed. He's the #35 PG in his own class. Shouldn't a program that hopes to be in the top 25 expect to attract players who are at least in the top 25 in their own position in their class? I just don't get why everybody is so excited.
Here is why I stated BEFORE Russell selected URI that I would be love for Russell to chose URI:
1. DH really wanted him. DH and David Cox watched him many times in the past and especially this summer
2. I have seen Russell play several games - he is great. I have stated what I like about his game earlier in the thread
3. I trust DH and the rest of this Coaching staff to identify players with talent, that are coachable, that possess upside potential, who will self sacrifice for the good of the team, have strong work ethic, etc. We became a Top 25 team without recruiting Top 25 players.
4. A Big reason................Nike EYBL Results this summer:

NIKE EYBL attracts the best of the best HS Players. The Top 24 Teams are selected to play in the National Championships in July every year.
This pits the 24 best teams playing a minimum of 5 games in Pool play before the top teams go into a playoff bracket.
Russell's Team Final did not make the Playoff Bracket as they just missed going 3-2 in Pool Play. Maybe that makes it even more impressive that he made 2nd Team ALL Peach Jam Tournament
In the final game for Team Final vs NY Rens, Russell lit up for 33 points on 7-12 three point shooting and 4-4 fts. This in front of many of the top Head Coaches in the country
11 Players made All Tournament - 6 on 1st team, 5 on 2nd team
1st Team have ESPN Top 100 Rankings of 1,2,8,13,15 and 22
2nd Team have ESPN Top 100 Rankings of 7,9,16,40
Honorable Mention had players in ESPN Top 100 Rankings of 4,11,18,30,32,35,40,57,91,99

Russell was the only player in the Top 11 to not be in the ESPN Top 100

I think he is a phenomenal talent
The voters for Nike EYBL voted him 2nd team and this playing against the top Class of 2017 talent in the country in front of the vast majority of Head Coaches in the country.
Some players do not step up in high pressure and high visibility environments like this while others do step up. Russell stepped up.

While other rankings may not have him as high as you and others would like to see I would put a lot of credence in Russell's performance at the National Championships held just 2 months ago

Another consideration is how DH is now getting players to commit before the HS Season starts, not like in the Baron past when most commitments came in March, April and May of the Senior Year.

Now we will most likely see Russell move up as his Senior year occurs after the commitment

1st Team:
DeAndre Ayton, 7-1, 2017, Cal Supreme - ESPN#1 Arizona Commit
Brian Bowen, 6-7, 2017, Mean Streets - ESPN #13
Quade Green, 6-0, 2017, PSA Cardinals - ESPN #22
Michael Porter Jr., 6-9, 2017, MoKan Elite - ESPN #2 Washington Commit
Gary Trent Jr., 6-5, 2017, Howard Pulley - ESPN #8
Trae Young, 6-2, 2017, MoKan Elite - ESPN #15

2nd Team:
Kevin Knox, 6-8, 2017, E1T1 - ESPN #7
Brandon Randolph, 6-6, 2017, PSA Cardinals - ESPN #40
Mitchell Robinson, 7-0, 2017, Pro Skills - ESPN #9 Western Kentucky Commit
Daron Russell, 5-10, 2017, Team Final