'17 PA PG - Daron Russell (URI Signed NLI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'17 PA PG - Daron Russell (URI Signed NLI)

Unread post by BFC »

Daron 'Fatts' Russell - PG
School: Imhotep Institute
Travel/AAU: Team Final

Ht: 5'10"
Wt: 150 lbs

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 3 Stars
Scout: 3 Stars, #35 PG
ESPN: 3 Stars, 79 Grade, #37 PG
247 Sports: 3 Stars, 89 Grade, #164 in 2017, #34 PG

FINAL SIX:
Rhode Island*
Grand Canyon
LaSalle
Seton Hall
SMU
Western Kentucky

*Verbally committed 9/20/2016

2016-2017 TEAM RECORD:
31-2, Pennsylvania 4A Champions, #5 in USA Today National Rankings

2016-2017 AWARDS:
Pennsylvania 4A Player of the Year
Public League Boys' Basketball Overall MVP
Donofrio Classic MVP
Beachball Classic MVP
Montverde Invitational MVP

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/184047
http://www.scout.com/player/201543-daron-russell?s=75
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... on-russell
https://future150.com/hs/basketball-pro ... ll-pg-2017
http://verbalcommits.com/players/daron-russell
http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/daronrussell
http://www.hoopseen.com/players/1754
http://247sports.com/Player/Daron-Russell-84780
Last edited by BFC 7 years ago, edited 23 times in total.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '17 PA PG - Daron Russell (Offer)

Unread post by BFC »

Russell ready for big summer

For many juniors, the final summer of the AAU season is their chance to gather as many offers as possible before beginning to sort through them in August and September.

A lucky few, like Imhotep Charter (Pa.)’s Daron Russell, already have a nice list to choose from, and so the April and July live recruiting periods take on a different significance.

“(I want) to show the other schools that haven’t seen me that I’m a really good player and just to find the right fit in college,” he said. “It doesn’t really matter where it’s at, high-major or mid-high, I just want to find the right fit.”

The talented 5-foot-10 guard already has double-digit Division I offers, most from mid-to-high major programs.

And quite a few of those coaching staffs are making a push for his services next year.

“Seton Hall actually came to see me today, Larry Brown and SMU, (they’re recruiting me) really hard, they’re coming tomorrow,” he said. “Rhode Island came in the mix, Grand Canyon, which is my bigger brother’s school, Temple and La Salle (are coming) really hard and VCU.”

In addition to the above schools--all of which besides Rhode Island have offered--he said he's also hearing from New Mexico.

Like he has for the last few summers, Russell will suit up with Nike-backed Team Final, where he’ll play on the 17U circuit for the first time after putting up big numbers on the 16U circuit last year.

A lightening-quick point guard with a scorers' touch, he averaged 17.7 ppg in three games at the Peach Jam last July, part of the reason his recruitment really took off at the end of last summer and into a strong junior season.

“I think I’m shooting the ball a lot better, and I think my athleticism took off from when I was a freshman and sophomore,” he said, adding that he’s working on “being more of a knockdown shooter off the dribble and being a creator for others.”

Russell is one of several high-major targets on Team Final, along with Reading junior Lonnie Walker and Westtown sophomore Cameron Reddish, his likely fellow starters.

That backcourt is one big reason why Team Final will be counted on to be competing for the EYBL championship in July yet again.

“Really looking to win Peach Jam, we’re really talented, in practice I really like the talent in the gym and on our team and I think we’ve got a chance to win it,” Russell said. “We’re really fast, we get the ball up fast and we run.”
http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... ferrer_id=
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Daron “Fatts” Russell (Imhotep, PA/Team Final 2017)

Fatts — a 5’10 lightening quick point guard — will be assigned the lead floor general duties this season for a Team Final squad that made it to the Nike Peach Jam last summer. The small guard is an exceptional playmaker and also can be a sharpshooter from beyond the arc off of picks. SMU, Temple, LaSalle, VCU, East Carolina, Seton Hall and some others have all offered the Philadelphia guard although he says SMU has been recruiting him the hardest with head coach Larry Brown stopping by Imhotep this week.
http://www.ballboyhype.com/team-final-s ... ews-notes/
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't care how good he may or may not be, I want a guy named Fatts Russell on my team!

I have to imagine he has some jazz records out there somewhere to.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Came here to say what Adam said. Give me Fatts!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

adam914 wrote:I don't care how good he may or may not be, I want a guy named Fatts Russell on my team!

I have to imagine he has some jazz records out there somewhere to.
At 150 pounds, it's certainly an ironic nickname.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

YES!!!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Love it!

Great handle, great quickness.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Looks like we're on 3 or 4 highly rated PGs. Which one commits first?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.nikeeyb.com/2016-standings/

Russell's Team Final finished a strong 10-6 in their division to grab the valuable 5th spot to automatically qualify for Peach Jam Nike Top 24 National Championships. Top 5 in each Division auto qualify for a total of 20 teams then 4 more are selected.

Russell has played very well for Team Final. Good shooting, scoring, rebounding, assists and especially steals. He and his team will be on full display in front of all the head coaches in mid July Championships
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's refreshing to see a Point Guard's mixtape that actually includes him making some passes.

between this kid, Sid Wilson, the other kid from DC...we are on some high level kids and seemingly getting reciprocal consideration.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Russell was the Philly Public League MVP as a junior.

Rhode Island has been involved with a few Team Final guys before (Tony Carr, JR Gilbert, Levan Alston, Lamar Stevens).
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

fatts ‏@daron_russell · 2h2 hours ago

Enjoyed my time at Rhode Island��
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ace, have you seen Fatts play?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ace, have you seen Fatts play?
I must have seen him play in a couple freshmen/sophomore, junior/senior showcase games but not that I can remember. Imhotep (incidentally, it's where Brandon Austin went) is one of the best public school teams in the city. Their regular season games are often right after school and hard to catch, but if they stay in on him, I'll definitely make a point to see him.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Imohtep is public? I did not know that. Is it a charter school/have a program to get out of zone kids into the building? The amount of quality kids they have year after year is staggering.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bos8 wrote:Imohtep is public? I did not know that. Is it a charter school/have a program to get out of zone kids into the building? The amount of quality kids they have year after year is staggering.
Yeah, it's a public charter school.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Visited Temple yesterday.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Visited Temple yesterday.
Wonder if he was there when the bomb threat was called in for the Liacouras Center and it was evacuated?

(I didn't do it)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Team Final lost to BABC, 66-65. Russell lost the ball at the end but had a great game, especially coming off an injury (foot/ankle).

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Team Final beat Houston Hoops today 72-66
Daron Russell played a game high 31 minutes. 7-17 FGs, 3-8 on 3FGs, 3 assists, 3 steals, 6 TOs for 19 points for Team Final
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great game by Russell tonight as Team Final defeats E1T1 United 83-69
Russell played 31 minutes. 7-17 FG, 3-5 3FG, 8-8 FT, 2 reb, 2 steals, 1 assist for 25 points
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

SMU was recruiting Daron really hard. I'm thinking they might not be on his list anymore. One less team to compete with.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Russell is having an outstanding tournament. Kind of wish he wasn't. Danny's watching him again tonight.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amazing performance tonight in 1 point win over The RENs.
25 minutes
11-21 FG, 7-12 for 3FGs, 4-4 FT, 3 assists, 3 steals, 2 TOs for 33 points!!!
Maybe unfortunate that Coach K, Calipari, Boeheim, most of the big names chose to watch this game.
Really special PG who has great passing instincts and court awareness.
Makes his teammates look good.
Would love to have Russell come to URI
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Teddy Bailey ‏@TheTeddyBailey · 58m58 minutes ago
At #PeachJam, @TeamFinalHoops finished 3-2. @daron_russell averaged 21.4 ppg, 4 apg on 46% shooting. Went 15/27 from 3-point range.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Teddy Bailey ‏@TheTeddyBailey · 58m58 minutes ago
At #PeachJam, @TeamFinalHoops finished 3-2. @daron_russell averaged 21.4 ppg, 4 apg on 46% shooting. Went 15/27 from 3-point range.
Might be good that they did not get to the final 4 or the championship game on ESPN on Sunday but he certainly brought attention to himself with his performance in front of majority of the D1 HC's and lead assistants in the country.
Excellent 3 point shooting and scoring but he does an excellent job of running the team and with great ball movement. Future PG with Dowtin SG? Wow
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If we're projected to be a top 20 type program for the next few years, we should be able to get a kid like this. We offered the Perry kid (go watch tape on him)from Georgia a little while ago too and he is ranked quite a bit higher than Fatts. I was hoping he'd consider us too. I understand a kid like Quade Green, who we were recruiting. He has Kentucky and Duke after him now. We can't recruit against them. But we should be able to compete with Daytons, VCUs, etc. now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:If we're projected to be a top 20 type program for the next few years, we should be able to get a kid like this. We offered the Perry kid (go watch tape on him)from Georgia a little while ago too and he is ranked quite a bit higher than Fatts. I was hoping he'd consider us too. I understand a kid like Quade Green, who we were recruiting. He has Kentucky and Duke after him now. We can't recruit against them. But we should be able to compete with Daytons, VCUs, etc. now.
Agree with this except that Russell has now played himself into a higher position with his performances this week. Coach K, Calipari, Boeheim, Roy Williams.....were all court side and watched Russell go for 33 points and 7-12 Three point shooting. Question might be his height listed at 5'10".
But expect Russell to get much more attention from P5 upper echelon schools moving forward. Would absolutely love to see us land Russell (even before his performance this week)
I don't rule out DH's ability to land anybody. Would not be surprised at all to see him land Russell.
With a veteran team like we have this year there will be a lot of opportunity for the 2017 incoming class.

Speaking of Quade Green, great individual match up today against rival Trae Young - two of the Nations best PGs playing against one another head to head.

Green is ranked 22 in ESPN top 100 and Young is ranked 23. Green is 2nd ranked PG and Young is ranked 3rd PG.
Green leads Mokan Elite against Young's PSA Cardinals for the championship on ESPNU at 2pm today.

Also an interesting match of two of the nations top big men in the same game.
3rd ranked Mohammed Bamba leads PSA Cardinals and 4th ranked Michael Porter leads Mokan Elite

43rd ranked Brandon Randolf also plays for PSA Cardinals.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

How does a point guard have 21 FGA's and 3 assists? He averaged 4 assists per game? Hmmm....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:How does a point guard have 21 FGA's and 3 assists? He averaged 4 assists per game? Hmmm....
At most he is 5'10". Too short to be considered a shooting guard in D1
Everywhere he is listed as a PG. definitely he runs his team. The offense runs through him.
Excellent dribbler, passer and shooter. His drawback is his height.

In this game he had 9 assists with URI watching.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball ... -statement
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:How does a point guard have 21 FGA's and 3 assists? He averaged 4 assists per game? Hmmm....
It's an AAU tournament. Nobody is there to pass the ball.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
It's an AAU tournament. Nobody is there to pass the ball.
Russell had 9 assists in one of the games.
The quality of the overall games in a tournament like this is incredible. Championship game had 4 players ranked 3,4,22,23,46. You have the top of the top coaches on hand. These caocahes absolutely look for defense, passing, ball handling, rebounding - not all about shooting at all. This is not the NBA all star game.
Plus these kids want to win and lay everything out on the floor. Very physical.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Anybody know if any other head coaches are hawking this kid like Hurley is? Under the assumption this is our #1 target as and Dan went to all of his AAU games this past week?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

CT Rhody wrote:Anybody know if any other head coaches are hawking this kid like Hurley is? Under the assumption this is our #1 target as and Dan went to all of his AAU games this past week?
According to Corey Evans, Dan Majerle from Grand Canyon U was also hawking Fatts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BFC wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Anybody know if any other head coaches are hawking this kid like Hurley is? Under the assumption this is our #1 target as and Dan went to all of his AAU games this past week?
According to Corey Evans, Dan Majerle from Grand Canyon U was also hawking Fatts.
Fran Dunphy, Temple HC was front and center.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

His brother plays at Grand Canyon. Temple is obviously the local team for him and has a bunch of Philly guys, including other Team Final alum in Alston and Lowe.

If Josh Brown is out for the 16-17 season, Russell would have the same situation there as at Rhode Island where he would be backing up a senior point guard as a freshman.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Someone should tell him that:
He could find his thrill
When he visits Watch Hill.

l.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/event/2016 ... ign=buffer

DARON RUSSELL, PG, TEAM FINAL, 2017

What a weekend for the 5-foot-10, 160-pound point guard from Philly. His fine city has produced some tough customers at his position over the years and Russell has clearly taken notes. Russell put on a show in North Augusta, scoring 21.4 points a game and was consistent throughout the event. He earned the respect of the college coaches that were on hand. Russell is a no-brainer priority recruit for schools in the Atlantic 10 and the like. In a point guard class that doesn’t have a high ceiling, we’d argue that Russell is worth some time watching this second live period and beyond. He’s battle-tested and shined on the summer’s biggest stage. Russell said he’s heard from Rhode Island, LaSalle, Temple, Grand Caynon, Seton Hall and SMU.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Going back to the 5 games to review his assists:
BABC: 17 pts, 3 steals, 9 assists that led team
Houston Hoops: 19 points, 3 steals, 3 assists that led team
Each 1 Teach 1: 25 points, 2 steals, 1 assist
CP3: 13 points, 0 steals, 4 assists that led team
The RENs: 33 points, 3 steals, 3 assists that led team
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Daron Russell (2017/Team Final)
Without Cam Reddish, Russell was given more offensive responsibility for Team Final at Nike’s EYBL Peach Jam in Augusta. The 5-foot-10 speedy guard was instrumental in helping his team to a successful tournament. Russell averaged a team-high 21.4 points and four assists per game -- scoring 33 points in a close win against NY Rens. The rising Imhotep senior scored from every part of the court, splashing 15 of his 27 attempted 3-pointers while creating opportunities at the rim for his team. He holds local offers from Penn, Temple and La Salle. SMU was projected to be the favorite before the Larry Brown contract dispute. Russell’s brother, DeWayne plays for Grand Canyon, and the Antelope staff was front and center for each of Team Final’s games this past week. Russell’s agility and athleticism will only impress high-major coaches in his final summer on the circuit.
http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/new ... id=1566508
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

In looking at the tv schedule, it looks like Russell and Team Final play a really tough CP3 team tonight at 7 on ESPNU.

ETA- this uniform/court combo is something to see.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Thanks, Ace. I'll have to check it out.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Can't say I was overly impressed by his size or game tonight but AAU is so hard to judge on, such a different game out there.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He didn't play his best tonight- a pretty tough game all around, I think. He definitely looked like he was forcing things early. I didn't watch it all, but a few notes based on, admittedly, too little information- he seems to handle the ball well and carry himself well on the court. He has a decent looking, if sometimes inconsistent, shot. He showed some nice ability to drive and get to the basket but struggled to finish. He did make some nice passes out after driving but wasn't exactly helped by his teammates, who missed open shots. He's Jarvis-sized.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Has there ever been a recruit who says he doesn't want to play in an up-tempo style? This interview is more about his game and AAU than his recruiting options (no mention of schools or anything like that)

0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Russell received additional offers this week from Duquesne, St. Bonaventure and Western Kentucky.
0 x