Local Microbreweries

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Local Microbreweries

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Which places around here have the best options in terms of tasting rooms, product, growlers, bottles, etc? Am normally a fan of IPAs, but got a great blueberry sour at Whaler's tonight. They say they will be bringing back their lemon drop sour soon...anyone had it?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: Local Microbreweries

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Check out Foolproof and the Tilted Barn
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Tilted Barn, I've been to, like it a lot, wish they were open more.
Does Foolproof have a lot of tasting options? Growler fills?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Pretty much all of the places I've been in Pawtucket, Providence and Newport do growlers - most places are more likely to have those as opposed to bottles or cans. Something to do with the bottling restrictions or something, I think.

I'm not so into super-hoppy beers, so my faves have been Bucket Brewery and Crooked Current, both in Pawtucket. Last time I went to Bucket with my girlfriend was two or three weeks ago, and they had a cool "salted" beer that was surprisingly refreshing and summer-y. However, our favorite there is a milk stout that's jusstttt a bit sweet - really goes down smooth. We went to Crooked Current, and they have some beers that sound cooky - Neapolitan (as in the vanilla, chocolate, strawberry ice cream), Oatmeal Raisin - but they were really unique and quite drinkable.

I've been to Foolproof, and they also had some unique offerings (a chocolate-oyster mix was strangely OK) and some standard brews. We went to Long Live Beer this weekend too, and I liked the Heck Hound (smoky) but otherwise, the selections were pretty average. I haven't been to Newport Storm in a few years, but their brewery is OK if you're looking less for unusual flavors and more for standard ales and brews.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Proclamation Ale Company

This place is right around the corner from your house. Across from Schneider Electric.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Grey Sail in Westerly. Just opened up a new tap room.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I brew my own beer and have tried almost all of the local breweries so I am fussy with quality. I must say that I am most impressed with Proclamation Ale Company. Whatever they are doing is very impressive. If you like IPA's definitely check them out!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Am very familiar with Proclamation Ale - a (documented ;) ) 12 minute walk from my house. I like almost all of their stuff and agree that what they are doing is impressive. Recently picked up a growler of their Derivative Citra and really enjoyed that - also like the Mosaic when they have it on hand, and the Tendril.

That 'salted' beer thing from the Bucket sounds interesting - any idea what it was called and if any available in stores? (Although...the best part about these microbreweries is the 'fresh'ness...can't beat that)

Ram1019 - I had a neighbor in CT that brewed his own beer and he was also very fussy. His generosity and phenomenal results have made me kind particular, too.

Now that the laws look to be a-changing (woo hoo) looks like eventually you'll be able to get real glasses (pints) at these places instead of just the tiny samplers: http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... 3/?Start=1

Perhaps one would/could be a good place for a KB meet n greet?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thumbs Up for Proclamation. I also like Grey Sail's Flying Jenny, Captain's Daughter, Great Ketch
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There's also Ravenous Brewing Company in Woonsocket. They came up with the idea for Coffee Milk Stout beer.

http://www.ravenousbrew.com/
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Proclamation is the best. Grey Sail also excellent. If you go to GS you should make it a point to go to Beer'd Brewing in Stonington. Revival which bases its operations out of Brutopia in Cranston makes some good beer as well. My one issue with Tilted Barn was the size was not conducive to being able to handle the crowds (not sure if anything has changed recently on that front) There's a new place opening in Portsmouth soon.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The slightly salty beer is on the list for Bucket: http://bucketbrewery.com/our-beers/ - it's the Prudence & Patience Rosehip Gose. They do have "pick six" packs there at the brewery, and growlers, plus the usual tastings. I also really like the Black Goat of the Woods, which is a bit smoother and more like a dessert beer.

re: Grey Sail, the assistant brewmaster is a URI grad. She graduated the same year I did, 2007, although shamefully I still haven't been down there to take the tour and what not.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:They came up with the idea for Coffee Milk Stout beer.
I'm going to need to challenge this statement right here. :D As a San Diego resident for the last 12 years, the craft beer capital of the world, I take my craft beer very seriously. I am almost positive I saw more than a few coffee milk stouts out here prior to 2012. Did they really come up with the idea?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Perhaps I am wrong. I assumed because of coffee milk being a RI thing that coffee milk stouts originated here. I know they did it before Narragansett did.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Perhaps I am wrong. I assumed because of coffee milk being a RI thing that coffee milk stouts originated here. I know they did it before Narragansett did.
Haha, who knows, you could be right to. Just giving you a hard time. I wouldn't trust my memory either.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI96 wrote:Proclamation is the best. Grey Sail also excellent. If you go to GS you should make it a point to go to Beer'd Brewing in Stonington. Revival which bases its operations out of Brutopia in Cranston makes some good beer as well. My one issue with Tilted Barn was the size was not conducive to being able to handle the crowds (not sure if anything has changed recently on that front) There's a new place opening in Portsmouth soon.
Revival makes a nice (imo) IPA from Twisted Pizza that I like a lot. New strategy for takeout is to go there and order from the bar instead of calling it in ;) . Tilted Barn can seem kinda jammed at times. We went a few weeks ago and while it seemed a little crowded inside, they moved people through the line pretty quickly and was a nice day for standing outside...Liked the product and hearing that the plan is to dry their hops in the rafters of the barn where they do the tasting, seems that could have a pretty nice smell to it...
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

In my opinion, here is how I rank the RI beer scene...

Proclamation Ale - Best brewery in RI. Great IPAs as well as Sours
Tilted Barn - Second Best RI brewery. IPAs are great. Haven’t had a bad beer yet from them
Grey Sail - Westerly with new cool taproom next door. One of the best RI has to offer
Revival - Sean Larkin's best stuff of the 4 places he has his hands in.
Foolproof - LFU is the go to beer from them. Other stuff is ok
Crooked Current - Pawtucket Brewery. Pretty good stuff the few I've had
Long Live Beerworks - Newer brewing in Providence. Sold stuff
Whalers - Wakefield brewery. Beers are ok. Fun place to visit
Newport Storm - Decent but nothing spectacular
Ravenous - Woonsocet brewery. So so stuff
Brutopia - Brewpub in Cranston. Basement tasting room has some interesting things
Bucket - Not a fan of there beers from - Mediocre at best
Coddington - Brewpub in Middletown. Beers are boring
Narragansett - Seasonals are made here. Only ones worth drinking.
AntiVillain Ale - Brews out of Newport Storm - Not good
Trinity Brewhouse - Eh. It is what it is. Boring
Union Station - A slight notch below trinity
Mohegan Café - Garbage brewpub on Block Island

Places not open yet...
Ragged Island - New Portsmouth brewery not open yet.
Apponaug Brewing (?) - Rumor of new brewpub opening on Pawtuxet River in old mill building near NYLO
Unnamed Cider Maker - Portsmouth just approved new cider maker in town. All I know so far
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ah, I didn't realize Anti-Villain was a local brew. Cool graphics and art, but it was just an OK beer.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Perhaps I am wrong. I assumed because of coffee milk being a RI thing that coffee milk stouts originated here. I know they did it before Narragansett did.
Haha, who knows, you could be right to. Just giving you a hard time. I wouldn't trust my memory either.
My guess is that numerous breweries made milk stouts (stouts with lactose added to make them sweeter because lactose doesn't ferment) but added coffee to them prior to 2012. Ravenous may have been the first to use coffee milk syrup that us Rhode Islanders are accustomed to.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Where exactly is Proclamation Ale? Is it over in that industrial park near the train station?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

UCH21377 wrote:Where exactly is Proclamation Ale? Is it over in that industrial park near the train station?
Yeah...it is on Fairgrounds Rd, right across the street from Schneider Electric. Next door to the Arnolds Lumber
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

spookydog wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:Where exactly is Proclamation Ale? Is it over in that industrial park near the train station?
Yeah...it is on Fairgrounds Rd, right across the street from Schneider Electric. Next door to the Arnolds Lumber
Just got back from there - very good. Just returned from FL and what is VERY good...Jai Alai, by Cigar City Brewing Co. in Tampa...dee-lish.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
spookydog wrote:
Just got back from there - very good. Just returned from FL and what is VERY good...Jai Alai, by Cigar City Brewing Co. in Tampa...dee-lish.

I've had the Jai Lai before. Quite good. Proclamation just released a coffee porter. I picked up a couple bottles yesterday. I hear it is really good.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Tried it there before and while not normally a fan of porters or coffee'd beers, that was pretty good.
They did have an awesome sour there last night. But, at $12 for a 12oz bottle...just a bit outside of my range.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Isle Brewers Guild new home in an old Pawtucket mill is moving along. Narragansett Brewing Company has already moved its hq there from Providence. Narragansett will eventually brew its specialty beers there and owners hope other local brewers will use the co-op style facilities as well.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... cked-loans
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wish gansett would bring back the Town Beach IPA they had last year...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Wish gansett would bring back the Town Beach IPA they had last year...

Your wish has been granted.

http://www.golocalprov.com/food/narraga ... -beach-ipa
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well, whaddya know! Thanks for the heads up.
Going to give the Tilted Barn a try today.

Nice stuff at both, but the results of today's side by side...nod goes to Proclamation.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The GF and I went to Whaler's and Proclamation this weekend, and we're probably in the minority that seems to like the former more than the latter. Whaler's has a strawberry blonde beer, and a hazelnut stout beer, and both were really tasty. The stuff at Proclamation was still pretty good and drinkable, but we tend to be "bad" beer drinkers and seem to go way more for flavors and fruits in our brews.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:The GF and I went to Whaler's and Proclamation this weekend, and we're probably in the minority that seems to like the former more than the latter. Whaler's has a strawberry blonde beer, and a hazelnut stout beer, and both were really tasty. The stuff at Proclamation was still pretty good and drinkable, but we tend to be "bad" beer drinkers and seem to go way more for flavors and fruits in our brews.
If you like flavors/fruits...try a sour when you get a chance. I think Whalers has a decent blueberry and Proclamation has had a couple different ones lately.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:The GF and I went to Whaler's and Proclamation this weekend, and we're probably in the minority that seems to like the former more than the latter. Whaler's has a strawberry blonde beer, and a hazelnut stout beer, and both were really tasty. The stuff at Proclamation was still pretty good and drinkable, but we tend to be "bad" beer drinkers and seem to go way more for flavors and fruits in our brews.
If you like flavors/fruits...try a sour when you get a chance. I think Whalers has a decent blueberry and Proclamation has had a couple different ones lately.
Whaler's had a sour, and ugh, haha. I haven't liked them at a few other places either.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

spookydog wrote:Places not open yet...
Ragged Island - New Portsmouth brewery not open yet.
Apponaug Brewing (?) - Rumor of new brewpub opening on Pawtuxet River in old mill building near NYLO
Unnamed Cider Maker - Portsmouth just approved new cider maker in town. All I know so far

Just realized that I forgot to add Providence Brewing Company to this list. They are trying to open up in North Providence, but currently town zoning laws forbid a brewery to be there. They are meeting with the town council on 8/2 to see if they can amend the current zoning laws.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Cans at the Proc now. 4 16oz for $15 is the same as growler price...but you don't have to finish them all the same nite (unless you want to, of course :lol: ).

Speaking of good local brew...maybe the Rhody Pub should rotate a local brewer selection through there every now and then...just a couple kegs...one type from one brewer at a time...thinking the micro-brew owners would be all over it...might even donate product just for the PUBlicity?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sour update....Whalers has the blueberry sour, only it's spiced now. Has an initially strong cinnamon overtone that kinda fades after a few sips, but not bad at all. G'well....tried the strawberry blond and not bad at all...a good, low ABV 'day' beer 8-)
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Sour update....Whalers has the blueberry sour, only it's spiced now. Has an initially strong cinnamon overtone that kinda fades after a few sips, but not bad at all. G'well....tried the strawberry blond and not bad at all...a good, low ABV 'day' beer 8-)
Good god. Why would they put cinnamon in their sour beer?! :shock:
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

spookydog wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Sour update....Whalers has the blueberry sour, only it's spiced now. Has an initially strong cinnamon overtone that kinda fades after a few sips, but not bad at all. G'well....tried the strawberry blond and not bad at all...a good, low ABV 'day' beer 8-)
Good god. Why would they put cinnamon in their sour beer?! :shock:
Not exactly sure...it was tolerable after a few sips, but it certainly didn't make it any better...
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

If you're feeling adventurous, Beer'd Brewing Company is across the river from Grey Sail in Stonington CT. Lots of IPA's and Ales and like most other microbreweries, its in cool old mill building. Definitely worth the trip.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

thatRamBand wrote:If you're feeling adventurous, Beer'd Brewing Company is across the river from Grey Sail in Stonington CT. Lots of IPA's and Ales and like most other microbreweries, its in cool old mill building. Definitely worth the trip.
Thanks for the heads up!
Proclamation is working on 3 sours now...due 'early to mid fall'...

Wouldn't you think the local breweries could get something going for Rhody hoops/Rhody pub?
Would be great publicity...
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

thatRamBand wrote:If you're feeling adventurous, Beer'd Brewing Company is across the river from Grey Sail in Stonington CT. Lots of IPA's and Ales and like most other microbreweries, its in cool old mill building. Definitely worth the trip.
If you are going to Beer'd, you might as well travel a little west of there & go to Outer Light Brewing in Groton as well.

Hitting up Grey Sail/Beer'd/Outer Light is a nice little loop of great beers.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Beer'd is solid
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Good tip on Beer'd
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Beer'd does look good. Looks like I'm headed north this w/e though to meet a friend in Mass. He's thinking, Jack's Abby (love the Hopponius Union), Castle Island, Blue Hills and possibly Foolproof. Have had Jack's and Foolproof...any thoughts on Castle Island or Blue Hills?

I like the 'local' loop, too...Proclamation, Tilted B, Whalers...don't always like everything they have, but can always find something I like at each....
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

If you're going to Mass then go to Trillium. They have one location in Canton and one downtown Boston. IMO the best beer in the area (though I have not been to Tree House yet)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI96 wrote:If you're going to Mass then go to Trillium. They have one location in Canton and one downtown Boston. IMO the best beer in the area (though I have not been to Tree House yet)
My buddy wasn't aware of the Canton location and it has now been added to the list.
Thanks for the heads up!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Stopped at Castle Island (picture Proclamation with no walls and just one small building) - liked the Candlepin. Blue Hills...little odd...was almost like you were in someone's office - good variety, but mostly pours out of bottles as opposed to on tap - coulda been colder. Trillium - biggest crowds, maybe the best product (had Galaxy and Mosaic IPAs), but not better enough to make the line wait worth it. They need to figure out a way to get more product out quicker...almost like competition with Rhody Pub for slowness. Jack's Abby - bonus that they have food and also great selection. Had a sour at dinner and got growlers of Hopponius Union and my new favorite -> Calyptra.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Tried Lyra, a lemon sour at Whalers'...not bad at all.
Like they said, kind of an 'intro to sours.'
Available by the glass or 22oz bottle.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Although not local - if anyone is looking for a brewery that throws a big party then check out stony creek brewery in Branford, ct

In the summer and nice days, the place is packed w a big outside area along the Branford river w bocce, corn hole, etc..

It's like an adult college party and often bands on weekends

Food trucks outside -

Place is a gem - albeit too far away from what you guys are looking for..

Online website/pics don't do it justice..
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

ElmCityRhody wrote:Although not local - if anyone is looking for a brewery that throws a big party then check out stony creek brewery in Branford, ct
Too bad their beers are garbage & they taste like trust fund money. Just awful. I am sure the place is cool, but I am not a fan of these beers at all.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I kinda have to agree...at least from what I've had, which, in fairness is only 3 different ones.
They had a pint night at Mews a while back and well, the best part was the free glass...

Although, 'going' to these places is different...nothing beats "fresh" and I usually can find at least one at almost every place that I'd have again. Didn't find that with Stoney Creek from pint night...would probably be a different experience on site...
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Ha- no offense taken- I agree about the beers .. So, good call there

In fact, it's a complaint I've heard a lot in comparing to another local micro-brewery "two roads" which is much better..

But unlike two roads, stony creek bar/micro brewery is hands down a party and great atmosphere to go to on a sunny afternoon

So, while you will be disappointed in the beer.. The atmosphere, food trucks, corn hole, bocce, Adirondack chairs overlooking the river make up for it

But kudos for bashing the beer - that will bring them down eventually

I went to the mount snow beer fest a few weeks back in Vermont - that was a fun time and they had a lot of microbrews from around the country..

Two roads was there.. Stony creek apparent not invited LOL

Enjoy the beers this upcoming season

Can't wait to get back pre gaming at the mews soon
0 x