General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by theblueram »

When I look at URI recruiting on ESPN for 2017, I see we are in on five 4* players and two 3* players. That's a nice list, but what is the expected outcome and when can recruits sign for 2017? Do we have to wait for the fall?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

theblueram wrote:When I look at URI recruiting on ESPN for 2017, I see we are in on five 4* players and two 3* players. That's a nice list, but what is the expected outcome and when can recruits sign for 2017? Do we have to wait for the fall?
They can verbally commit, but sign on the dotted line in November.....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote:When I look at URI recruiting on ESPN for 2017, I see we are in on five 4* players and two 3* players. That's a nice list, but what is the expected outcome and when can recruits sign for 2017? Do we have to wait for the fall?
http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/ ... age/offers
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Live period starts today. Hope to hear of some offers and scheduled visits. Need a couple of studs from the '17 class. The 'core four' will all be gone before we know it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Let's get guys who can put the bawl in da baskit
for a change.
Coach them on defense later.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Once again, far more guards on the list than forwards.
I know we need a PG, so I get that.
It would be so nice to actually have a forward who could
put up some points.
A Will Daniels type guy would be great.
Enough defense first guys. It's a new day in basketball,
where shooting is the focal point.
We really don't have a pure shooter on the roster.
Time to find one or two.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rod, love what you bring to this board, but it seems like you make this same post every off-season.

A few responses...
rodfromcranston wrote:Once again, far more guards on the list than forwards. We brought in three frontcourt players this incoming recruiting class. Wouldn't it make perfect sense to have more guards coming in?
I know we need a PG, so I get that.
It would be so nice to actually have a forward who could
put up some points. Hopefully we have one or two of them in the incoming class
A Will Daniels type guy would be great. Yes it would. I'm sure if Hurley finds a Will Daniels type, he wouldn't immediately stop recruiting him because he's a forward
Enough defense first guys. It's a new day in basketball,
where shooting is the focal point. Eh, agree and disagree. Shooting is super important, and a balanced roster is a very good thing to strive for, but do you really want two or three players like Four McGlynn on the roster who can shoot well but give up a bucket for every one that they make? This also seems at odds with your gripe that we're offering too many guards and not enough forwards. Outside the top 30-40 players in the country, it's pretty tough to find sweet-shooting big men. They tend to get recognized and snapped up pretty quick.
We really don't have a pure shooter on the roster. Maybe true, but CT looked to be a damn good shooter before his year-end slump. Jarvis shot 42% on the year from deep, 51% in conference play. As a team we shot 37%, more than adequate and solidly among the top third of D1 programs.
Time to find one or two.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PC just got a little tougher next year Alpha Diallo is a great get.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

See. I'm consistent in my thinking.
Look we brought in bigs, not scorers.
I'm talking about guys who can shoot.
Can't find good shooting forwards?
Look at Rodney Bullock, Fazekas, and
Ben Bentil.
Gee, those guys can shoot the 3s better than our guards.
Pointing to McGlynn as an example is ridiculous.
He was supposed to be an off the bench player,
who had to play due to injuries to others.
CT? jury is out on him. He faded badly down the stretch.
Jarvis is probably the best shooter on the team, but
was asked to do everything last year, under
trying circumstances.
Nobody is a bigger fan of Jarvis then I am.
I was defending him when some beauties on this board were
calling for him to be benched.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not to trip your argument up too much, but everyone on our team except Christion Thompson who shot more than five three pointers on the season shot a higher percentage than Fazekas or Bullock.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bullock had a game where he shot 6 3's.
Fazekas had mono, but if you don't think he can shoot,
you're delusional.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

TruePoint wrote:Not to trip your argument up too much, but everyone on our team except Christion Thompson who shot more than five three pointers on the season shot a higher percentage than Fazekas or Bullock.
Since TP beat me to the punch, here are the 3P% for the top 6 in attempts on each team from last season:

URI

Garrett 44/105 = 41.9%
Terrell 41/118 = 34.7%
McGlynn 76/219 = 34.7%
Thompson 20/61 = 32.8%
Iverson 16/41 = 39.0%
Akele 14/34 = 41.2%

PC

Bullock 34/101 = 33.7%
Bentil 52/158 = 32.9%
Fazekas 34/99 = 34.3%
Dunn 42/113 = 37.2%
Lindsey 39/145 = 26.9%
Cartwright 20/55 = 36.4%
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I went to a PC game with a friend of mine who is a season ticket holder, and every time Fazekas touched the ball the entire building groaned audibly. Every time he shot it (which was approximately 97% of the time he touched it), they groaned even louder. Also, why does he get an excuse for having been sick (and presumably not playing while he was sick and therefore not impacting his shooting percentage), like nobody on our team or any other team dealt with anything during the season.

Ball don't lie. Fazekas and Bullock not as good of shooters as anyone on our team. Fact.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No Rhody forward took as many shots from 3 as Bentil,
Fazekas and Bullock.
Small sample sizes for Iverson and Akele.
Also, my focus was on forwards.
Wow you went to one game and draw such a conclusion.
Have seen no such trashing of Fazekas on their board.
Some people will jump all over anything I say if it's
not, "Oh we''re wonderful! Our guys are better than
Steph Curry!".
Whatever.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It isn't so much that you didn't say our guys are wonderful. It's that you said we should try to get a guy like two guys that clearly are not better shooters than what we already have. I did not mention anything about Bentil, because obviously if we could get a guy like that everyone would sign up for it. I just don't think Fazekas and Bullock are anything to lust after.

I don't like it when people give PC credit when they deserve it. To slob their knob just for fun is distasteful.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:No Rhody forward took as many shots from 3 as Bentil,
Fazekas and Bullock.
Small sample sizes for Iverson and Akele.
Also, my focus was on forwards.
Wow you went to one game and draw such a conclusion.
Have seen no such trashing of Fazekas on their board.
Some people will jump all over anything I say if it's
not, "Oh we''re wonderful! Our guys are better than
Steph Curry!".
Whatever.
I agree on Fazekas, I think he is a good shooter who will see his % made trend upward as he continues to play. In a weird way, I actually like that Iverson and Akele have higher % while averaging 2-3 attempts per game combined. To me this shows that they aren't forcing shots up every time they touch the ball. I'd have to defer to someone like rj who regularly watches PC, but Bentil's 3P% and the # of shots that he took stick out to me, since he played the 5 for them for a majority of the season.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I think Akele will be a good shooter. I like the look of his shot. It's all about confidence with him. On the other hand, I don't like the look of Iverson's shot. But, it's all about results.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, everyone pissed and moaned about our lousy offense.
I suggested finding an offensive minded forward.
How horrible!
As long as he's been here, Dan's been talking about getting
a stretch 4.
Maybe Iverson fills the bill next year, if he can stay out of foul trouble?
Offense comes down to being able to score from different places on the floor.
Hard to guard as someone used to say.
Too often, if a team took Hassan or Garrett, out of the flow,
or if Four was off, we were in for a long night.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rod, I agree with you as far as what we need. I just don't agree with using Fazekas and Bullock as examples of what that is.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Leaving the URI shooters vs. PC shooters discussion to others...
rodfromcranston wrote:See. I'm consistent in my thinking.
Look we brought in bigs, not scorers. we brought in bigs with a unique blend of skillsets, which I think is excellent. Tertsea for defense/rebounding/being tall, Langevine as a useful athletic piece, and by all accounts, Layssard is a strong frontcourt scorer.
I'm talking about guys who can shoot.
Can't find good shooting forwards?
Look at Rodney Bullock, Fazekas, and
Ben Bentil.
Gee, those guys can shoot the 3s better than our guards. Patently false, as others have said
Pointing to McGlynn as an example is ridiculous. You mentioned wanting players who could shoot better and that you were willing to sacrifice defense to get it - is it really ridiculous that my mind went to McGlynn? Agree with the role he was supposed to fill, but I got the idea that you weren't talking about role players, but about a team identity
He was supposed to be an off the bench player,
who had to play due to injuries to others.
CT? jury is out on him. He faded badly down the stretch.
Jarvis is probably the best shooter on the team, but
was asked to do everything last year, under
trying circumstances. Agree with you in being bullish on Jarvis. As you said, with everything he was asked to do, was still the best 3pt shooter on the team. I expect even better things from him this season.
Nobody is a bigger fan of Jarvis then I am.
I was defending him when some beauties on this board were
calling for him to be benched.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Funny, everyone pissed and moaned about our lousy offense. For the record, I was not among those pissing and moaning about our "lousy offense" last year. I was one of the few who said that, in fact, our offense was not lousy, but solidly average, which is impressive given who we lost.
I suggested finding an offensive minded forward.
How horrible! If all you had said was that you would like to find an offensive-minded forward, I would not have disagreed with you. I would like that too. Where we disagreed was in your reasoning and rationalization.
As long as he's been here, Dan's been talking about getting
a stretch 4.
Maybe Iverson fills the bill next year, if he can stay out of foul trouble?
Offense comes down to being able to score from different places on the floor.
Hard to guard as someone used to say.
Too often, if a team took Hassan or Garrett, out of the flow,
or if Four was off, we were in for a long night. The same is true of all teams. If you take one of their best players out of the flow, they will struggle.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He'll have an adjustment to make going from Louisiana high school ball to the A10, but they expect Layssard to have a nice offensive game. ARD loves him. For his size, he's said to have some good footwork and quickness near the basket along with a decent outside stroke. He regularly hit 3's as part of his game in high school. If EC comes back close to where he was, he again becomes the primary focus of the other team's defense, which will do wonders in opening up the floor, especially with the now experienced and hopefully much less broken and worn down Garrett, not to mention a two-legged Hassan.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Come on guys--you all know that Rod is always right with his opinions. How dare any of you question his thought process. You do so and he will denigrate you in a heart beat. At least I am not the only one bashing him.
Bullock had 1 spectacular game from 3 point land out of 35 games. He was 6 for 9 against Butler. If you back out that game from his stats his shooting % on 3 pointers goes down to a mediocre 30.4%. Including the Butler game he made 34 3s in 35 games. Without the Butler game he made 28 3s in 34 games. Nothing special at all.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, the King Of Assholes is trolling me again.
Only time this turd posts.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Shaolin Swat wrote: I'd have to defer to someone like rj who regularly watches PC, but Bentil's 3P% and the # of shots that he took stick out to me, since he played the 5 for them for a majority of the season.
Few things:

Fazekas has the best stroke on PC. Before mono, he was shooting 47% from 3. TP is right that he shoots a majority of his shots from 3 (77% before sick), but he came in as a shooter and that's exactly what he was. Hit a few big shots, one against Arizona, Michigan St., and URI in the second half to kickstart PC runs. He lost his rhythm and timing having to sit for a month, and then never regained the momentum having to gain the strength coming back from mono.

Early in the season, Coach Cooley said a magic number for Bentil 3's in a game was 4. He got a lot of touches up top, simply by working with Kris Dunn. PC ran about 250+ ball screens for Dunn alone, Bentil was a significant part of those, and if he peeled off the screen, could often find himself open for 3. His ability to score inside also helped him stretch the court, big men couldn't contain him outside, small guys couldn't contain him inside. PC used that to their advantage to try to get him touches in advantageous positions. The one thing that contained Bentil this season was all of the ankle injuries he suffered. He injured his ankles on four seperate occasions (vs. Brown, vs. Boston College, @ DePaul, and BET vs. Butler), some worse than others. When his mobility was limited due to the injury, I do think he tended to float to the three point line more because he could still draw opposing bigs, but also hit the shot. When he tried to drive or move towards the basket, his injuries were often exposed. Part of the reason for PC's February "collapse" was the fact that he couldn't move on defense, or be more diverse on offense. Just another piece to the slump.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Could those bad ankles hurt him in the draft, RJ? Sounds like it might be a chronic thing.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Could those bad ankles hurt him in the draft, RJ? Sounds like it might be a chronic thing.
I don't think the ankles are a real issue. Every one of those injuries had someone basically falling full-body onto his foot, he wasn't rolling his ankles non-contact which would be a bigger concern to me.

Bentil's draft position will be completely determined by his measurements, not just height but length, athletic testing, etc. If he measures small, he'll be back at PC. If he measures well, he'll head to the draft. Think the biggest concern from the scouts I have heard has had to deal with projected measurements. He doesn't have the athleticism to guard smaller players so it makes that height and reach so much more essential. He might be able to develop better instincts over time, but I don't think teams would invest in that with a first round pick.

Cooley has said he is recruiting as if Bentil would not be back, if Bentil is back PC should have a tournament-caliber squad. If not, it could be a long season.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Hey Rod--if I am the King you gotta be the Queen!!!!!!!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, it's back. You and 3 Wisemen are one in the same
or butt buddies.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Guys...c'mon, all this infighting is just detracting from the real enemy... soccer.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Soccer? Bleechhhh.
Must be some reason why people kill each other over their matches?
I don't get it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This guy would look good in Kearney blue

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... legs-dunk/
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Heard that we have offered a 6'8 2017 forward from Team Belief on the Adidas Gauntlet and Mt. Zion Prep named Alex Yetna. Originally from Paris, France. Athletic and long.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote:Heard that we have offered a 6'8 2017 forward from Team Belief on the Adidas Gauntlet and Mt. Zion Prep named Alex Yetna. Originally from Paris, France. Athletic and long.
Yep...

Corey Evans
Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10

Rhode Island has offered 2017 Mt Zion Prep big man Alex Yetna, per source
May 4, 2016, 11:04:02 AM
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Athletic and Long lefty. Runs the floor well, and really rebounds well. Blow up during the first live period. Everyone I've heard talking about him says he is a HM type kid.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Floyd certainly had some thought on the matter, didn't he? I don't think either he or the reporter came off looking too well.

A few names that have been mentioned, with varying degrees of interest, I think: AJ Ford, Tariq Simmons, Anthony Gaines, and Louis Dorsey.

In looking at the four signed '16 recruits, I think it's interesting that only Dowtin had a thread on here at this time a year ago and then they all committed by the end of September.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

http://espn.go.com/recruiting/basketbal ... -yurtseven

Check out this guys stat line from a game this past weekend!
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Might never play a college game. Similar situation as Enes Kanter.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Look like old friend Alex Murphy is trying to get his 6th year of eligibility. Interesting whether he stays in the Sunshine state or decides to help another program...

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2016/5/18/ ... g-deng-gak
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The Murphy's are like the Kardashians of Rhode Island. Not sure why they are relevant but I'm tired of them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Totally agree at this point.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

I've heard Northeastern for Alex Murphy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That's interesting since Northeastern has offered Tomas Murphy.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tomas Murphy not going to play aau this summer instead playing for Finland as per kmac today
BABC and Expressions Elite both qualified for Final 24 in Nike
Good article by kmac

http://m.providencejournal.com/sports/2 ... draft-rule
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This is no slight on the 4 guys coming into the program for next year, and I could be wrong in my assessment, but it feels with the two profiles updated today that we seem to be shooting for a higher caliber of player this year. Last year it felt like we were targeting guys that could fill needs for us at an Atlantic 10 level. This year we seem to be in the mix with top programs to fill our needs. I wonder if this is a real shift in recruiting philosophy or more that our need for bigs was bigger last year then our need for PG/SF is for the 2017 class of recruits, so we can take more chances this year.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:or more that our need for bigs was bigger last year then our need for PG/SF is for the 2017 class of recruits, so we can take more chances this year.
I think it is more this, and with that need for bigs the caliber of player is just naturally going to be a little lower for an A10 school. There just aren't as many talented bigs out there and those that are out there are going to get the big time offers.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:or more that our need for bigs was bigger last year then our need for PG/SF is for the 2017 class of recruits, so we can take more chances this year.
I think it is more this, and with that need for bigs the caliber of player is just naturally going to be a little lower for an A10 school. There just aren't as many talented bigs out there and those that are out there are going to get the big time offers.
While acknowledging that the players mentioned are still very much in the offer stage, definitely this. Also, there are likely more minutes to promote to '17 guards at this point than there were to the '15s and '16s. I still think CT is going to be pretty good.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That's a solid summary, but the Alvarado reference seems kind of random.
0 x