Potential Future Head Coaches at URI Thread

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Potential Future Head Coaches at URI Thread

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Did Preston coach his son in junior league?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

How bout Stony Brook? I think he should only look at a school that has a decent chance of success in the 1st year and not a situation where he is inheriting a team that will be a certain team at the bottom of their conference. A total rebuild would not make sense for someone like PM since a failure could be career ending.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Cut the crap.
There are NO guidelines for hiring a head coach.
A few more seasons at Creighton?
Just amazing idiocy.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:Cut the crap.
There are NO guidelines for hiring a head coach.
A few more seasons at Creighton?
Just amazing idiocy.
This thread has been one of the great sources of posters embarrassing themselves with inane takes. Some of the conversation has been reasonably intelligent, but you've got some unreal things being said. I like the guy who said that Preston had a better resume than Wade did when he was hired at VCU. What planet do you need to be living on for that to make sense? Preston needs a head coaching gig. He needs and deserves one for HIMSELF, forget about him ending up at URI someday (I'd love to see it happen, I'm just saying he has a career he needs to be thinking about first and let the chips fall with respect to coming home to Rhody eventually). He (his agent) should be getting involved with head coaching openings at schools exactly like Chattanooga, where Wade started his head coaching career. A place that is in a low-major conference but has some history of success and access to players. Based on what he has done and his contacts in the game, maybe that kind of opportunity isn't too far off for him.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I agree, TP.
I sensed a bit of resistance to
the idea from Preston.
Seems the logical step to resume building.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I also agree with TP. Sorry, rod you have to resort to calling me an idiot because you disagree with my opinion. I'm just trying to get a message across. Wink! Wink!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, you weren't the one who said he needed to spend
more time at Creighton.
That to me was idiotic. What would that accomplish?
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I wish there had been a head coaching experience requirement when Jerry D was here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There was a brain dead coach requirement.

And Jerry Duh fit it to a T. :o
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think with Assistants a lot of their value (rightly or wrongly so) is attached to the HC they worked under. I also think it helps to have a steady few years of continuity and recruiting success at the same place. To me Preston's story just needs more time....not of his own fault, but some of the HCs he has grown under aren't exactly lighting the world on fire, Jimmy Christian and Jim Baron. Then he spent a short time with DH and now a short time with McDermott. I would guess his opportunity for low major HC is not far off, if he wants that route, or he may be angling for a few more years at Creighton and then straight hop to mid major...

I love the idea of him as a future HC of the Rams...bring back Tyson and you will have a packed house based on nostalgia alone. But I wasn't ready for it just yet. And IMO I don't think he is either.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:No, you weren't the one who said he needed to spend
more time at Creighton.
That to me was idiotic. What would that accomplish?
ATPTourFan wrote:Another few strong stand-out assistant years at Creighton and Preston will get a low D1 head coach job.
If that was aimed at me, then let's just remember that next time someone gets sensitive about one of "the mods" having a normal, fan response on this board.

Doesn't seem like Preston's getting any love for head coaching openings at the moment. I think he had good reason (pay and exposure) to go to Creighton and that was to build his brand. Saying he may need another year or two isn't idiotic if he's not getting interviews this offseason.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Is Preston actually actively looking for a HC job right now?

Some are assuming he is. He might not be.

It might be a mistake if he's just waiting for the URI job to open up. Could be a while.

No guarantee he gets it either.

Or, it could be sooner rather than later. Who knows?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I agree that if he's just waiting for the URI job,
it's a huge mistake.
He's 38 years old and has been an assistant
for enough time.
His reputation as a recruiter is cemented.
Staying at Creighton ad infinitum won't do
anything for his career.
He certainly wasn't gung ho about going
after a head coaching job, when I asked him.
Maybe he feels the wrong situation could
sink his career?
It's his decision, if he wants to pursue something
more.
Just waiting, I feel, won't get it done.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The math is daunting- there are only 351 Division 1 head basketball coaches in the country. Not every assistant has head coaching aspirations, but even if half do, that's a large pool. There's also a familiarity in hiring decisions, for better or worse. For all the criticism Baron gets, he used his connections to land a new job about a minute after he was fired- in a lesser conference, yes, but it's still a job that didn't go to someone with no head coaching experience.

This is an Insider article, but it lists top recruiters. ESPN isn't the final answer in deciding who's a good assistant and some of these accolades are specific, but there are 40 names here that might have higher aspirations in coaching. When you think about how many jobs open up in a given year, the opportunities are slim.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/o ... t?id=15109
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I can't see that article because it's an insider, but is it really that hard to recruit someone to Duke? I mean besides a great program with a great tradition, a top academic school, a legendary coach, crazed fans, etc., etc., etc., what do they have going for them?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I can't read it, but these ESPN articles usually feature
the P-5 schools.
Think of all the stiffs who get head coaching jobs.
This isn't MLB where only retreads get hired as managers.
Some damned good coaches came from D-2 schools.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's see, they [Duke] also play in the top hoops conference in the country?

They get almost everyone that they really want. Luckily for the rest of CBB, not everyone they get turns out to be a star.....

It will be interesting to see who gets that job after K leaves. Will they continue to be a force every year then?

Like him or not, K is about the best there is on the sideline.

Compare him to Auriemma on the women's side. After he retires, just how good will UConn be?

I wouldn't want to be the guy [or girl] that follows him....
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:I can't see that article because it's an insider, but is it really that hard to recruit someone to Duke?
Not particularly, of course, but they do still have to compete with the other elites. The article also breaks down some names by category, including best outside the top 6 conferences and best under 35. Luke Murray is on that under 35 list. Yanni Hufnagel is, too, but that was before his recent incident.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Would Luke be on that list if he were still here?

Not in a gazillion years.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Ideally Hurley would build a solid program and stay around another seven to ten years. And Preston will find a good HC job during that time. In some ways, there's a lot of pressure to recruit at Duke. You're supposed to be a title contender every season ..and you're competing with North Carolina etc.
Duke used to be the school that kept its players, but it's all one and done in the big time.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

The next URI coach is already here...Tim O'Shea.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Never on Tim O'shea and you are crazy to think Dan will be here 7-10 years.
My best guess, we have 1, maybe 2 more seasons with our coach. All predicated with him getting us in the tourney, but I believe he will and then I believe an offer will come along too good to pass up.
As long as the cupboard is full, and we make a good hire to follow him I have no problem with this scenario.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If we make the Sweet 16 next year, he's out of here.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would be OK with that.

Sweet 16 I mean. Depends on what offers Dan would get imo, on whether he would go......

Assuming anything is a dangerous game though. Can't do it.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Hurley is gone the first time he takes URI to the tournament. His annual flirtation with teams when he hasn't accomplished zilch at URI should tell you all you need to know. I'm fine with it too, but that's just the reality of the situation.

Sweet Sixteen run? Let's just make the effing tournament this century...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

+1
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

STC wrote:Hurley is gone the first time he takes URI to the tournament. His annual flirtation with teams when he hasn't accomplished zilch at URI should tell you all you need to know. I'm fine with it too, but that's just the reality of the situation.

He very well could go if he gets the right job offer. I guess making the tournament makes that slightly more likely, but the right job would have to open up. I don't think making the tournament or not making the tournament, on it's own, really has anything to do with it.

I'm also not sure I agree with, or even understand, how you arrived at your conclusion. How does other schools offering him their job tell you anything about his intentions or the likelihood of him taking another job? If anything, the fact that he declined those opportunities would seem to lead you to the opposite conclusion.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong that he could take another job if he gets an offer for the right situation, and I'm not telling you that scenario isn't more likely if he takes URI to the tournament. Those things very well may happen. I'm just telling you that how you're getting to that conclusion makes no sense. You're drawing a conclusion based on emotion then trying to back-fill the logic. There's no rule against that, obviously, but it is a little unseemly.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Right, and of the 2 times he was approached for other jobs, only once did he get any personal increase in compensation. That happened last year where he was given a stepped increase just to get him into the UPPER HALF of A10 coaches.

ALL other changes following these "flirts" have been permanent improvements to this basketball program which for so long had never operated at a championship level, even in its best years.

Here is the rundown of changes following each of the times Hurley was approached (formally or otherwise):

The first amendment in April 2013 to Hurley's contract made no change to his compensation and only added program level enhancements to compete with other A10 contenders.
* Training table.
* Increased assistant salary pool
* 4 air charters (they weren't chartering before).
* Improved position for negotiating apparel contract.
* Team office renovation
* New strength and conditioning staff member.

The "second" amendment* from a year ago included:
* Stepped Hurley salary increase to get in line with the top half of the conference.
* New protections for the program in terms of a buyout provision
* Better provisions for the university to limit without-cause termination payouts.
* New modest $25k bonus for his staff which he can deliver at his discretion.

*Last year's Amendment is called the Third amendment, and language citing First, Second and Third amendments is also included. I have no idea what the 2nd Amendment is or when it was executed.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:Right, and of the 2 times he was approached for other jobs, only once did he get any personal increase in compensation. That happened last year where he was given a stepped increase just to get him into the UPPER HALF of A10 coaches.

ALL other changes following these "flirts" have been permanent improvements to this basketball program which for so long had never operated at a championship level, even in its best years.

Here is the rundown of changes following each of the times Hurley was approached (formally or otherwise):

The first amendment in April 2013 to Hurley's contract made no change to his compensation and only added program level enhancements to compete with other A10 contenders.
* Training table.
* Increased assistant salary pool
* 4 air charters (they weren't chartering before).
* Improved position for negotiating apparel contract.
* Team office renovation
* New strength and conditioning staff member.

The "second" amendment* from a year ago included:
* Stepped Hurley salary increase to get in line with the top half of the conference.
* New protections for the program in terms of a buyout provision
* Better provisions for the university to limit without-cause termination payouts.
* New modest $25k bonus for his staff which he can deliver at his discretion.

*Last year's Amendment is called the Third amendment, and language citing First, Second and Third amendments is also included. I have no idea what the 2nd Amendment is or when it was executed.
Pretty sure the second amendment allows Hurley the right to keep and bear arms as part of a well-regulated militia.

Wait, maybe I'm thinking of something else...
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

TruePoint wrote:
STC wrote:Hurley is gone the first time he takes URI to the tournament. His annual flirtation with teams when he hasn't accomplished zilch at URI should tell you all you need to know. I'm fine with it too, but that's just the reality of the situation.

He very well could go if he gets the right job offer. I guess making the tournament makes that slightly more likely, but the right job would have to open up. I don't think making the tournament or not making the tournament, on it's own, really has anything to do with it.

I'm also not sure I agree with, or even understand, how you arrived at your conclusion. How does other schools offering him their job tell you anything about his intentions or the likelihood of him taking another job? If anything, the fact that he declined those opportunities would seem to lead you to the opposite conclusion.

I'm not telling you that you're wrong that he could take another job if he gets an offer for the right situation, and I'm not telling you that scenario isn't more likely if he takes URI to the tournament. Those things very well may happen. I'm just telling you that how you're getting to that conclusion makes no sense. You're drawing a conclusion based on emotion then trying to back-fill the logic. There's no rule against that, obviously, but it is a little unseemly.
LET'S GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT:

- One doesn't know that Hurley is gone once (if) he takes URI to the tournament.
- Other schools are the ones flirting with Hurley annually, not the other way around. (He may like/enjoy/use the attention to his advantage.)
- He has accomplished things here, with the help of those in power positions, such as improving "The State of the Program," facilities, amenities, etc.,
-AND...I also accept STC's take on all of this Sweet 16 talk: just make the effin' tournament!
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I was kidding about O'Shea. Rod hates him and usually gets nuts f anyone mentions him. I reluctantly agree with those who think Dan will leave after a tournament year. He's already drawing interest and has said no. But he would day yest to the right school.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ramblinrose wrote:Rod hates him and usually gets nuts f anyone mentions him.
Why?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I don't think Rod hates him personally (I don't know how anyone does) but feels insulted if you mention him for URI. And I don't think that would ever happen anyway.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Since I got mentioned three posts in a row.....
O'Shea was widely know to moan that you couldn't
recruit to URI.
In Skinner's last recruiting cycle, they got two guys
named Jefferson.
One never got into school, the other transferred to
Niagara or Canisius. He was a role player at best.
Then we saw Harrick bring in four top 50 players and
was on the cusp of the best recruiting year ever at URI,
before he left.
So, we knew that while it may not have been
the easiest job to get players here,
it wasn't as impossible as O'Shea proclaimed it to be.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

O'Shea is where he should be. He loves RI and doesn't strike me as a guy bent on a big time career.
It's hard to compare any URI coach to Harrick. He had a pedigree we're unlikely to see here again. It was a terrfic two seasons. And it gets farther away all the time.
0 x