UCONN / finishers and FTS

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

UCONN / finishers and FTS

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Miraculous shot but don't discount how FTS also closed out that game in OT

What a clutch win
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: UCONN / finishers and FTS

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Those guys were exhausted well before the 4th OT, and continued to play at a very high level.

I saw the whole thing. Nobody deserved to lose.

UConn is famous for this kind of win. They got lucky with that 60 ft. shot though.

Now watch them win the AAC tournament. They won't win the national title, not close, but they are 100 times more clutch than we'll ever be.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rambone 78 wrote:They won't win the national title, not close, but they are 100 times more clutch than we'll ever be.
Do you seriously feel the need to take a jab at this team in every post? give it a rest, the season is over, we get it already.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Figured I was good for one more shot before looking ahead, 88...... :P
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That play Ollie drew up for that 75 foot heave was brilliant. He was wide open. George Blaney must have called it.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

bigappleram wrote:That play Ollie drew up for that 75 foot heave was brilliant. He was wide open. George Blaney must have called it.
+1. I loved the play call there. I wish our coach could draw up something like that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cincy should have fouled up 3. 0.8 seconds was too much time.

Hahahahah........

There have been 70 footers made before, but has one ever been made with so little time left before the ball was passed in?

Say what you will, but UConn has that golden horseshoe up their ass....good, but very lucky also.

They are my second least favorite team after PC. Comes from back in the 60's when we played them for the YC title every year or so it seemed.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

It's impossible to catch and shoot a 60 footer in under a sec.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The clock did look like it didn't start at the exact moment he caught the ball.

Also he took 3 steps before he released it.

But the refs won't call that, I'm sure they didn't think he was going to make it.

If the Cincy player had been right on him, no way he would have had the time to shoot it squarely either.

Just a 1000+ to 1 lucky shot. If it doesn't go in they are out of the Dance most likely.

Ever think that would happen for us?

Now watch, they will win the fucking tourney, and get a better seed. No way are they good enough to go very far, but they always seem to play their best when it counts.

As for being tired, when KW and co. won their conference tourney, they played 5 games in 5 days, and KW played almost every minute of it.

I'm rooting for Temple today.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rambone you're just cursed this year.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The fuckers will probably win the whole damn thing again this year.

All of a sudden UConn is making shots. Funny how that seems to happen this time of year.

They will win their conference tomorrow for sure.

Hamilton and Adams look like All Americans....

All because of a lucky shot that probably shouldn't even have counted.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:The fuckers will probably win the whole damn thing again this year.

All of a sudden UConn is making shots. Funny how that seems to happen this time of year.

They will win their conference tomorrow for sure.

Hamilton and Adams look like All Americans....

All because of a lucky shot that probably shouldn't even have counted.....
Whatever it takes to keep you grumpy, angry and cantankerous....don't want you to lose your edge.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, I can't stand UConn men's BB. Never could, from the 60's on.

You wouldn't know.

Both them and PC I wish would lose every game.

Yeah they [UConn] are clutch AND lucky, maybe I'm jealous, but they keep doing it, over and over again.

I will enjoy the NCAA tourney, AFTER both of them are eliminated.

The thing is, PC isn't going very far, but UConn could steal the whole damn thing. They've done it before.

The thing is, they really aren't that talented this season, but they play over their heads when it counts.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:208, I can't stand UConn men's BB. Never could, from the 60's on.

You wouldn't know.

Both them and PC I wish would lose every game.

Yeah they [UConn] are clutch AND lucky, maybe I'm jealous, but they keep doing it, over and over again.

I will enjoy the NCAA tourney, AFTER both of them are eliminated.

The thing is, PC isn't going very far, but UConn could steal the whole damn thing. They've done it before.

The thing is, they really aren't that talented this season, but they play over their heads when it counts.

I just spent nearly 20 years living in CT so, I do know a little bit about UConn hoops. And, when they've made those runs, it's been a great story. And, if they do steal the whole thing this year, that would be as good a story as any other.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, if you're a UConn fan. I was actually referring to the UConn teams of the 60's, when they played us for the YC title almost every year.

They have a history of winning the close games in big situations going back a long time.

They of course haven't won them all, but they've won more than most programs. Especially compared to us.

They aren't good enough this year to win it all, but that's been said before and been proven wrong.

They don't have that great senior PG that they need to do it. But it's amazing that they haven't shot the ball well all season, and all of a sudden they can't miss.

And of course they benefit by the best team in their conference [SMU] being ineligible.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Figured I'd share some general observations of a couple of guys I know who are much closer to the program that I am. Names of course can not and will not be revealed.

Both said that while Dan is deserving of high praise in a lot of areas of the program, he is completely overmatched in late game situations. As in lost.

Also our players are talented, but are not clutch whatsoever when it comes to making plays and shots at the end of games, along with making critical defensive errors. They wilt under pressure.

They also said this is common knowledge among many people.

Kind of explains why we never can win the close ones. Of course this isn't earth shattering news about these parts. It IS depressing though.

I asked whether next year things could change for the better, with EC back and a full roster. Answer was, somewhat but the basic problems will remain, and we'll still lose more big games than we'll win.

That sucks. And if any of you want to know why I tend to be negative, it's news like that.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

That's not news though, that's their opinion. There's not one thing in your post that could be counted as an objective statement, it's all subjective. And being close to the program doesn't mean they're well informed about basketball, it means they're a fan that has more money than most.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Figured I'd share some general observations of a couple of guys I know who are much closer to the program that I am. Names of course can not and will not be revealed.

Both said that while Dan is deserving of high praise in a lot of areas of the program, he is completely overmatched in late game situations. As in lost.

Also our players are talented, but are not clutch whatsoever when it comes to making plays and shots at the end of games, along with making critical defensive errors. They wilt under pressure.

Kind of explains why we never can win the close ones. Of course this isn't earth shattering news about these parts. It IS depressing though.

I asked whether next year things could change for the better, with EC back and a full roster. Answer was, somewhat but the basic problems will remain, and we'll still lose more big games than we'll win.

That sucks. And if any of you want to know why I tend to be negative, it's news like that.
I don't think this is what makes you negative, that appears solidly in place...I think you're just more drawn to this kind of stuff because it works for you.

All opinion...they might be just a half dozen missed shots over the course of the season from 4 or 5 more wins - and then he'd be the opposite of overmatched. The truth - like usual - is probably somewhere in between. Somewhere in between "completely overmatched" and "worked a miracle to get this team to .500"...and we've heard both in the last week.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote:Figured I'd share some general observations of a couple of guys I know who are much closer to the program that I am. Names of course can not and will not be revealed.

I'll share some general observations from a couple of guys I know that are also closer to the program and they say that is rubbish.
Dan is in his 6th year coaching, our "end of game" play this year relied on 2 sophomores and also being without our best offensive player. To assert it won't get better is ridiculous.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:

I'll share some general observations from a couple of guys I know that are also closer to the program and they say that is rubbish.
Dan is in his 6th year coaching, our "end of game" play this year relied on 2 sophomores and also being without our best offensive player. To assert it won't get better is ridiculous.
Yes, it is ridiculous...but nothing else really fits for the G and D crowd right now.
Therefore, said assertion must be perpetuated (until a replacement is found).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

bigappleram wrote:

If only you knew some people in the know, BAR. I trust your sources, and would advise others to do the same.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

UConn 22-23 FTs
Colorado 19-30 FTs

it's that simple

trust me I hate UConn.. but admire their FTs
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ATPTourFan wrote:
bigappleram wrote:

If only you knew some people in the know, BAR. I trust your sources, and would advise others to do the same.
Good thing Dan reached out to Donavan and Doherty. Good to see him get some advice on how to coach end of game situations. That's a smart move.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:UConn 22-23 FTs
Colorado 19-30 FTs

it's that simple

trust me I hate UConn.. but admire their FTs
UConn...to win it all....sorry ;)
0 x