State of the Program

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: State of the Program

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Years are unique.
This year = a success...last year = a success.
Talk about "next year better ____ or else" = silly.

OK, now enough.
This year lies somewhere between disaster and gets a pass due to circumstance. Success? Get outta here.
If you are talking about the job a coach has done, circumstance has to be a part of the success or failure equation...you can't just decide that you don't like the circumstances and give an 'incomplete' or 'pass' (well, I guess if you don't want to give credit where credit is due, you could). The results under these circumstances = success.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yup.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Years are unique.
This year = a success...last year = a success.
Talk about "next year better ____ or else" = silly.

OK, now enough.
This year lies somewhere between disaster and gets a pass due to circumstance. Success? Get outta here.
If you are talking about the job a coach has done, circumstance has to be a part of the success or failure equation...you can't just decide that you don't like the circumstances and give an 'incomplete' or 'pass' (well, I guess if you don't want to give credit where credit is due, you could). The results under these circumstances = success.
If I were to judge it then in the context of the injuries, success is not the word I would use. Failure wouldn't be, either. C+.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote:Sorry STC. But I look at coaches like Tim Cluess and see what he is doing. Coaches like Cooley and what he has done. These are coaches 5 years into their contract and have been to the NCAAT multiple times. Maybe Dan has a bent penny in his pocket. I don't know. I'm not gunning for the guy, but the hire was made to get us to the NCAAT. Next year is year 5. And we have seen 4 years of mediocre basketball. Following 13.
Can we please stop bringing up Tim Cluess like he's some great coach? He's gotten to the tournament in a garbage conference. Dan should have been able to get there this year in a much better conference with a healthy EC or if he had stayed in the NEC. When Cluess can get his team to even fake like they're attempting to play defense or if they can beat us head to head, or if they can actually do something once they get in the tournament out of a garbage league maybe then we can act like he's something special?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

One overlooked fact when looking at our league record of 9-9 is that we played the top 6 teams in the league 8 times and only 2 of the 8 games were at home. Granted we lost both home games and were only 1-7 but next year's league schedule should have us playing home games against the teams in the top tier of the league.
Without analyzing the conference schedules of the other teams I suspect that we had the toughest schedule of all of them. I submit that playing without EC all year, Hass playing with a bad knee, Iverson missing 4 games and JG missing a game and playing injured with that MASK that our league record ain't that bad.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Excellent point. Next year we will be set up to play home and homes with the league's top quarter again, but we will have the alternating home-site advantage.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Yes and no. Less quality road games don't give you a chance to notch quality road wins. The SOS this year was #147 overall. Unless you think this team is going to walk into the dance as, say, a 6 or 7 seed, I would want as many of those tough games as possible to differentiate yourself. The committee clearly values teams that win at neutral/road sites.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

? How are the scheduling partners, the ones we twice, determined? And when do they change?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote:One overlooked fact when looking at our league record of 9-9 is that we played the top 6 teams in the league 8 times and only 2 of the 8 games were at home. Granted we lost both home games and were only 1-7 but next year's league schedule should have us playing home games against the teams in the top tier of the league.
Without analyzing the conference schedules of the other teams I suspect that we had the toughest schedule of all of them. I submit that playing without EC all year, Hass playing with a bad knee, Iverson missing 4 games and JG missing a game and playing injured with that MASK that our league record ain't that bad.
Agree Eli,
And if you had EC for all 18 Conf games, had Hassan for all 18 and healthy, had Iverson not miss 4 Conf games and ineffective 10 minutes of another due to concussion comeback, had Garrett without the mask PLUS you get rid of that unfavorable scheduling of the strongest Conf teams and then what happens to that 9-9 record? Pretty good things. On top of that we have the same line up back with Mathews, Martin, Garrett, Iverson and Terrell plus some beef that will push there five for playing time.
0 x