Game 29: @ Dayton, Feb 27, noon ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: Game 29: @ Dayton, Feb 27, noon ESPN2

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

bigappleram wrote:Maybe he hasn't failed because he hasn't been used in spots where he would. How do you think he would fare against Alie-Cox or Isaiah Miles or Kevin Larsen...could he defend either Cavanaugh or Terry Allen for Richmond? Should he have taken minutes from Kuran? This is arm chair QB 101 to now question Berry's usage. The kid played a helluva game when pressed into action, he will see more action in the next few games.
As I noted, you put Berry (or any bench player) in situations where his skill set can succeed. So no, Berry's not a good match vs. VCU. Against Larsen and GW??? Perhaps you can steal some minutes with Berry against Larsen. Against that load of a big man for UMASS?? Sure. He could've played in spots in certain matchups this year.

So if Hurley never had any plans to play him and work him into spot duty, why would a scholarship be used on him? I just don't get it.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Honestly, this discussion of Berry's minutes is wrapped up in the discussion about the refusal to play any zone, unless of course we're down to 7 players. But hey, who am I to express a point of view, just some toad who doesn't know anything about anything.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I have been wondering since yesterday how long it would take for the usual suspects to turn this win into a negative thing somehow. It took a little longer than I expected, but the "Berry should have been playing more all along" angle was very predictable.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Maybe he hasn't failed because he hasn't been used in spots where he would. How do you think he would fare against Alie-Cox or Isaiah Miles or Kevin Larsen...could he defend either Cavanaugh or Terry Allen for Richmond? Should he have taken minutes from Kuran? This is arm chair QB 101 to now question Berry's usage. The kid played a helluva game when pressed into action, he will see more action in the next few games.
As I noted, you put Berry (or any bench player) in situations where his skill set can succeed. So no, Berry's not a good match vs. VCU. Against Larsen and GW??? Perhaps you can steal some minutes with Berry against Larsen. Against that load of a big man for UMASS?? Sure. He could've played in spots in certain matchups this year.

So if Hurley never had any plans to play him and work him into spot duty, why would a scholarship be used on him? I just don't get it.
Because they were desperate for a big and saw him as a project, I imagine. That happens all the time. Berry's gotten minutes in 5 of the last 9 games, including against the above mentioned Holloway. GW? They kept Larsen and Cavanaugh below their points average when they played that weird snow game, and Cavanaugh needs to be defended out to the three point line, which pulls a big. Rhode Island is one of the best defensive teams in the conference, and I think it makes sense to play to your strengths. Even so, they have played zone at times. When Berry comes in, the other team knows that's exactly what they're going to. I hope Andre goes out and kills it in the next two games. It doesn't sound like much, but a 10-8 conference record would mean something in a season like this.

That game on Saturday was beautifully amazing. I'm thrilled for Berry. It was a great match-up for him this time around against Dayton. McElvene couldn't breathe without fouling someone, and Archie was mad at Sam Miller, who played 30 minutes the first time they played, for that little tantrum he threw and didn't play him. Nice to see Rhody push another team to that level of frustration.

Another thing that stands out is how, with the improved shooting of Terrell and Garrett, other teams need to defend them more honestly. Earlier in the season, defenses could sag on them because they weren't hitting those 3's and mid-range jumpers, as BB mentioned. Now, it frees things up in the paint a little more with the defense having to pick them up farther out. I didn't realize how good he's been, but during conference play, Garrett has the highest 3 point shooting percentage in the league, over 50%. Given his injury, that somehow seems almost as improbable as that win on Saturday. Almost.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

adam914 wrote:I have been wondering since yesterday how long it would take for the usual suspects to turn this win into a negative thing somehow. It took a little longer than I expected, but the "Berry should have been playing more all along" angle was very predictable.
Running Ram wrote:He's got (Berry) great hands, great feet and a knack for quick release, I wouldn't have at DH for not playing him more, but I definitely think the moratorium on going big should be over as of now and going forward (with 3 bigs coming in next season).
So there ya go Mr. partial info guy, I actually didn't say Berry should or should not have been playing any more than he has to this point, what I said was going forward we should see more of him out of necessity, thus more 'big' lineups and next year with the addition of three 'bigs' I would tend to believe Martin would be able to spend more time at the four than the five.

And this...
Running Ram wrote:Honestly, this discussion of Berry's minutes is wrapped up in the discussion about the refusal to play any zone, unless of course we're down to 7 players. But hey, who am I to express a point of view, just some toad who doesn't know anything about anything.
...is true, so what I'm saying here is, suggesting Berry should have played more is saying we should have played more zone, which, of course, will only ever happen out of complete necessity as we've come to learn, so there's no reason to lament his not having played more to this point. These posts aren't even negative, you see there where I say people shouldn't have at DH for not playing Berry more?Right? so what's your issue aaadam? Seriously, do I have to spell everything out?!?!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

OK. I am the skunk at the picnic......the win was a great feel-good win for Rhody.....however the domino affect is going to hurt the A-10 in the RPI picture for those teams seeking an at large bid.....the big east knows how to do it by having Seton Hall beat Xavier....but not letting a .500 team beat Xavier....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Teams would know URI is forced to play zone because Berry is in the game??? 2 things, first, why would teams know what uri would do because uri put there 10th man in the game? Second, it only takes a single possession for the opposing team to figure out they are playing against a zone in ANY basketball game.

VCU? GW? Kid just destroyed Dayton. Everyone that has taken up the Berry side of this has tried to preface their words with something pointing out that they know it's just one game.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

In fairness, Berry got about 10 minutes in the UMass game and probably would have gotten more except for the fact that Watson was a beast on the boards that night.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Teams would know URI is forced to play zone because Berry is in the game??? 2 things, first, why would teams know what uri would do because uri put there 10th man in the game? Second, it only takes a single possession for the opposing team to figure out they are playing against a zone in ANY basketball game.
Berry comes in, and they switch to zone. That's what's been happening. Playing Berry limits their defensive flexibility at this point, and they're a team that likes to, and can, show some defensive wrinkles. That can get you a defensive possession or two to your advantage while the other team adjusts to what they see defensively, which is not insignificant given the pace they play. In general (and not to you specifically), I don't get the desire for this team to play more zone when they're a good man to man team. Have it as an option, sure.
Seawrightslostgame wrote:VCU? GW? Kid just destroyed Dayton. Everyone that has taken up the Berry side of this has tried to preface their words with something pointing out that they know it's just one game.
That's not accurate. At the least, GW and UMass were specifically brought up, and as I mentioned before, Dayton without Miller, with a very different Pollard, and with a very limited McElvene helped. I think coaches can seem stubborn in who they trust and who they play, but I don't think he's an idiot because we haven't seen more of Berry. Berry's played in 5 of the last 9, and he gets two great chances this week. I hope he kills it and gets A10 all-rookie for the week.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yes I said DH is an idiot for not playing Berry. I also wouldnt trade DH for anything over the past four years and going forward. I don't care about his sideline demeanor or whether he has an older offensive guru.

I think he has played small lineups and claimed it helps with uptempo offense we want to play bla bla. Well they obviously don't play uptempo because they haven't been a great scoring team over 4 years. Recently JG/JT have been great. That changes things.

Calling him an idiot was a knee jerk reaction, but I think playing small has hurt them.

Also when people say who's minutes would Berry take?? Or even Watson last year?? Gil was in foul trouble all of the time and Ki/HM usually were in foul trouble this year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't think it's about pace and tempo. I think they've gone with who they think are their best players that can put them in the best position to win, and that's their guards, as they see it. They've continually attempted to recruit bigs, so I don't think it's a philosophical approach. They just haven't been as successful in getting them as they have with guards. You hope that next season at least one of the two bigs can contribute early. The best possible outcome, I think, is that they've totally been wrong about Berry all along and he ends up being a complete surprise and asset moving forward into next season. Hurley learns something, and the team's better.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:I don't think it's about pace and tempo. I think they've gone with who they think are their best players that can put them in the best position to win, and that's their guards, as they see it. They've continually attempted to recruit bigs, so I don't think it's a philosophical approach. They just haven't been as successful in getting them as they have with guards. You hope that next season at least one of the two bigs can contribute early. The best possible outcome, I think, is that they've totally been wrong about Berry all along and he ends up being a complete surprise and asset moving forward into next season. Hurley learns something, and the team's better.
Didn't we recruit 3 bigs, Ace?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I agree with many on this board that it is a poor reflection on Hurley and his staff that they could/would not find a role for Berry on this year's team. I'm not saying his the second coming of Bill Russell or anything so let's not get carried away. But...
A coach only has a certain number of scholarships to hand out. If a kid is on scholarship and doesn't play, what good is the scholarship? He clearly had something to contribute to this year's Ram team. It's incumbent on a coach to put the players in a position where they can best utilize their skill set and succeed. It appears that the coaching staff was asleep at the wheel on Berry. That's very disappointing. If the kid did what he was supposed to do in practice, then you give him some chances in a game. If he takes advantage of those opportunities, then he earns more playing time. If not, then he gets less. But why did it take the absence of a player and late February for this kid to get an opportunity?
Again, I don't think Berry could've played 30+ minutes a night for 30 games this year. But he definitely had something to offer. Too bad it's too late to have significant impact this year.
Good questions PlayMike....................
It was not late February that Berry got his first opportunity. His first significant opportunity came @ Brown on December 30. He showed potential then and was instrumental in URI winning that game. Antonio Reynolds Dean was very proud of Berry's effort and showered him with praise in the post game show. One could ask why he hasn't played more since that game.
Could be that he is only a Soph in his first year in D1 and we have Iverson, Martin and Watson as Junior and Senior level players ahead of him. Also Akele has played well both offensively and defensively as a Freshman and we tend to play with a 3 guard lineup with Garrett, Terrell and McGlynn so only so many minutes to go around

As for the practice comment. We don't know what happens at practice. We could assume that Berry plays in practice like he played against Brown and against Dayton - but does he? I'd like to hope he does but it's doubtful that he plays everyday as he did against Dayton in which he was nothing short of spectacular. Dayton Coaches and Players were certainly not expecting that Berry on the court.

As for what good is the scholarship if the guy doesn't play. He was not highly recruited out of JC. URI looked at Berry, Quad Smith and others during the March - April time period to fill an open roster spot with a big man. This year DH and staff went after 3 big men early on and signed them back in November - Layssard, Langevine and Tertsea. He said he did not want recruiting taking up time during the season and take away from managing the team he went after the players he wanted last spring and summer and signed them all within 3 weeks of each other. DH did not want to again be looking later in April and May when most all recruiting is over.
So DH and staff basically took a chance on Berry, a kid who played at St Andrew's in Barrington RI. Who knows, maybe this helps URI create a St Andrew's connection too, can't hurt.
It normally takes big men longer to develop. Coaching staff is being watchful over the development and also they want to help build Berry's confidence.

Going forward.......
I'd bet even the URI Coaching staff was pleasantly surprised by Berry's performance in Dayton and I'd be surprised if his minutes don't increase significantly against UMASS, Fordham and in the A10 Tournament.
The Coaching staff may even be second guessing themselves about Berry, who knows, but it sure is a pleasant surprise
Just a week or two ago posters here were questioning having Berry on the Roster and some mentioned trying to get a JUCO to come in and take his roster spot. Some mentioned the need to have loyalty to Berry being only a Freshman and I mentioned the importance of building the St Andrews connection. Nobody mentioning anymore about Berry's roster spot.
I put together a comparison of Berry vs Quad Smith of PC. We offered Smith the same time we were looking at Berry
Both listed at 6'8" and 285 pounds
Numbers say to me our Coaching staff made the right choice.
Kudos to Daniel Marshall. Berry has lost between 40 and 50 pounds since he signed with URI in the Spring. Looking at Smith he still looks 285 and moves slower than Berry does today
Both are just Freshman so 3 more years to go but I'd take Berry over Smith based on 1st year performance but also on potential in the future 3 years.
Interesting read is to go back to the Berry and Quad Smith recruiting threads. Especially noteworthy is the write up by Ramsey regarding Berry.
Looking forward to Berry next 3 games (at least) and next year.

Berry vs Smith
Both recruited in later part of 2015 season - April to May timeframe
Both listed 6'8" and both listed 285 pounds
URI and PC both offered Quad Smith
Games played: Berry 13 - Smith 17
Minutes played: Berry 76 - Smith 91
FG Shooting: Berry 15-22 for 68% - Smith 10-18 for 56%
FT Shooting: Berry 4-6 for 67% - Smith 12-15 for 80%
Offensive Rebounding: Berry 11 - Smith 6
Total Rebounding: Berry 26 - Smith 18
Blocks: Berry 1 - Smith 1
Steals: Berry 0 - Smith 3
Turnovers: Berry 3 - Smith 5
Last edited by ramster 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I thought Berry was a sophomore.

Also aside from I guess you speculating that they need to recruit over Berry. The other comment by maybe (Adam?)about Berry since the Brown game was that looking at Berry's stats per 40 minutes he was dominant.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Berry is a sophomore.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:I don't think it's about pace and tempo. I think they've gone with who they think are their best players that can put them in the best position to win, and that's their guards, as they see it. They've continually attempted to recruit bigs, so I don't think it's a philosophical approach. They just haven't been as successful in getting them as they have with guards. You hope that next season at least one of the two bigs can contribute early. The best possible outcome, I think, is that they've totally been wrong about Berry all along and he ends up being a complete surprise and asset moving forward into next season. Hurley learns something, and the team's better.
Of the three, Layssard and Tertsea seem a little more like prototypical bigs, based on what we've heard. It's not like Langevine's a guard or something, but I could see him in a different role than the other two.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I thought Berry was a sophomore.

Also aside from I guess you speculating that they need to recruit over Berry. The other comment by maybe (Adam?)about Berry since the Brown game was that looking at Berry's stats per 40 minutes he was dominant.
Thanks for the correction, my mistake. I corrected.
No, I did not want URI to recruit over Berry, some others stated that in the last 2 weeks the subject was discussed. I did not want us recruiting over Berry. I prefer to stay with him especially since he played locally at St Andrew's and it would not look good for us to let a St Andrew's kid go. Plus big men develop more slowly and I was very impressed watching Berry at the Brown game which was the most exciting game I attended all year. Berry was great against Brown and you could see the future potential.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Of the three, Layssard and Tertsea seem a little more like prototypical bigs, based on what we've heard. It's not like Langevine's a guard or something, but I could see him in a different role than the other two.
A role kind of like Iverson is playing right now?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

ramster wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:I agree with many on this board that it is a poor reflection on Hurley and his staff that they could/would not find a role for Berry on this year's team. I'm not saying his the second coming of Bill Russell or anything so let's not get carried away. But...
A coach only has a certain number of scholarships to hand out. If a kid is on scholarship and doesn't play, what good is the scholarship? He clearly had something to contribute to this year's Ram team. It's incumbent on a coach to put the players in a position where they can best utilize their skill set and succeed. It appears that the coaching staff was asleep at the wheel on Berry. That's very disappointing. If the kid did what he was supposed to do in practice, then you give him some chances in a game. If he takes advantage of those opportunities, then he earns more playing time. If not, then he gets less. But why did it take the absence of a player and late February for this kid to get an opportunity?
Again, I don't think Berry could've played 30+ minutes a night for 30 games this year. But he definitely had something to offer. Too bad it's too late to have significant impact this year.
Good questions PlayMike....................
It was not late February that Berry got his first opportunity. His first significant opportunity came @ Brown on December 30. He showed potential then and was instrumental in URI winning that game. Antonio Reynolds Dean was very proud of Berry's effort and showered him with praise in the post game show. One could ask why he hasn't played more since that game.
Could be that he is only a Soph in his first year in D1 and we have Iverson, Martin and Watson as Junior and Senior level players ahead of him. Also Akele has played well both offensively and defensively as a Freshman and we tend to play with a 3 guard lineup with Garrett, Terrell and McGlynn so only so many minutes to go around

As for the practice comment. We don't know what happens at practice. We could assume that Berry plays in practice like he played against Brown and against Dayton - but does he? I'd like to hope he does but it's doubtful that he plays everyday as he did against Dayton in which he was nothing short of spectacular. Dayton Coaches and Players were certainly not expecting that Berry on the court.

As for what good is the scholarship if the guy doesn't play. He was not highly recruited out of JC. URI looked at Berry, Quad Smith and others during the March - April time period to fill an open roster spot with a big man. This year DH and staff went after 3 big men early on and signed them back in November - Layssard, Langevine and Tertsea. He said he did not want recruiting taking up time during the season and take away from managing the team he went after the players he wanted last spring and summer and signed them all within 3 weeks of each other. DH did not want to again be looking later in April and May when most all recruiting is over.
So DH and staff basically took a chance on Berry, a kid who played at St Andrew's in Barrington RI. Who knows, maybe this helps URI create a St Andrew's connection too, can't hurt.
It normally takes big men longer to develop. Coaching staff is being watchful over the development and also they want to help build Berry's confidence.

Going forward.......
I'd bet even the URI Coaching staff was pleasantly surprised by Berry's performance in Dayton and I'd be surprised if his minutes don't increase significantly against UMASS, Fordham and in the A10 Tournament.
The Coaching staff may even be second guessing themselves about Berry, who knows, but it sure is a pleasant surprise
Just a week or two ago posters here were questioning having Berry on the Roster and some mentioned trying to get a JUCO to come in and take his roster spot. Some mentioned the need to have loyalty to Berry being only a Freshman and I mentioned the importance of building the St Andrews connection. Nobody mentioning anymore about Berry's roster spot.
I put together a comparison of Berry vs Quad Smith of PC. We offered Smith the same time we were looking at Berry
Both listed at 6'8" and 285 pounds
Numbers say to me our Coaching staff made the right choice.
Kudos to Daniel Marshall. Berry has lost between 40 and 50 pounds since he signed with URI in the Spring. Looking at Smith he still looks 285 and moves slower than Berry does today
Both are just Freshman so 3 more years to go but I'd take Berry over Smith based on 1st year performance but also on potential in the future 3 years.
Interesting read is to go back to the Berry and Quad Smith recruiting threads. Especially noteworthy is the write up by Ramsey regarding Berry.
Looking forward to Berry next 3 games (at least) and next year.

Berry vs Smith
Both recruited in later part of 2015 season - April to May timeframe
Both listed 6'8" and both listed 285 pounds
URI and PC both offered Quad Smith
Games played: Berry 13 - Smith 17
Minutes played: Berry 76 - Smith 91
FG Shooting: Berry 15-22 for 68% - Smith 10-18 for 56%
FT Shooting: Berry 4-6 for 67% - Smith 12-15 for 80%
Offensive Rebounding: Berry 11 - Smith 6
Total Rebounding: Berry 26 - Smith 18
Blocks: Berry 1 - Smith 1
Steals: Berry 0 - Smith 3
Turnovers: Berry 3 - Smith 5
This seems like somewhat of a silly comparison. Take out last game and it looks wildly different.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Running Ram wrote:
adam914 wrote:I have been wondering since yesterday how long it would take for the usual suspects to turn this win into a negative thing somehow. It took a little longer than I expected, but the "Berry should have been playing more all along" angle was very predictable.
Running Ram wrote:He's got (Berry) great hands, great feet and a knack for quick release, I wouldn't have at DH for not playing him more, but I definitely think the moratorium on going big should be over as of now and going forward (with 3 bigs coming in next season).
So there ya go Mr. partial info guy, I actually didn't say Berry should or should not have been playing any more than he has to this point, what I said was going forward we should see more of him out of necessity, thus more 'big' lineups and next year with the addition of three 'bigs' I would tend to believe Martin would be able to spend more time at the four than the five.

And this...
Running Ram wrote:Honestly, this discussion of Berry's minutes is wrapped up in the discussion about the refusal to play any zone, unless of course we're down to 7 players. But hey, who am I to express a point of view, just some toad who doesn't know anything about anything.
...is true, so what I'm saying here is, suggesting Berry should have played more is saying we should have played more zone, which, of course, will only ever happen out of complete necessity as we've come to learn, so there's no reason to lament his not having played more to this point. These posts aren't even negative, you see there where I say people shouldn't have at DH for not playing Berry more?Right? so what's your issue aaadam? Seriously, do I have to spell everything out?!?!
Yeah, I wasn't talking about you, but I know my post came right after yours and I didn't quote anybody, so my fault for the confusion. I was actually reading posts on the previous page and posted a reply before even reading yours.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

1) I'm happy for the win. URI played great and Dayton played poorly. That would be the recipe for something like that to take place. (Obviously, if Dayton plays well and URI plays well then Dayton wins.)
2) People aren't allowed to question certain coaching moves because the team wins? Is that what you're saying? We're only allowed to raise questions when the team loses? By raising a question or point, that turns the game into a "negative thing?" Really??
3) I don't think people are necessarily saying Berry should have been playing more all along. What some are saying is that there were some opportunities that Berry may have been able to help this team during the course of the 2015-16 season. In his limited minutes (vs. Brown, vs. Dayton most notably), he was a solid contributor.

I'd be shocked if any URI fan would come on here and say that Berry could've given this team 20-25 minutes, Berry would've averaged 12 points and 5 rebs. But given between 8-14 minutes per game (depending on the situation), who's to say that Berry couldn't have given 5pts/2.5 rebs a game?

Just trying to provide some context for the questions that are raised.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
1) I'm happy for the win. URI played great and Dayton played poorly. That would be the recipe for something like that to take place. (Obviously, if Dayton plays well and URI plays well then Dayton wins.)
2) People aren't allowed to question certain coaching moves because the team wins? Is that what you're saying? We're only allowed to raise questions when the team loses? By raising a question or point, that turns the game into a "negative thing?" Really??
3) I don't think people are necessarily saying Berry should have been playing more all along. What some are saying is that there were some opportunities that Berry may have been able to help this team during the course of the 2015-16 season. In his limited minutes (vs. Brown, vs. Dayton most notably), he was a solid contributor.

I'd be shocked if any URI fan would come on here and say that Berry could've given this team 20-25 minutes, Berry would've averaged 12 points and 5 rebs. But given between 8-14 minutes per game (depending on the situation), who's to say that Berry couldn't have given 5pts/2.5 rebs a game?

Just trying to provide some context for the questions that are raised.
People are allowed to raise any questions they want. I never said anybody wasn't allowed to do anything. I am also allowed to respond with my thoughts on those things. Welcome to an internet message board!

As for #3 above: "I don't think people are necessarily saying Berry should have been playing more all along." It seems that in your post below, that's exactly what you were saying.

"a poor reflection on Hurley and his staff that they could/would not find a role for Berry on this year's team...But why did it take the absence of a player and late February for this kid to get an opportunity? " That sounds to me like you think he should have been playing more all along.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Same people that were saying Earl should be getting 15-20 minutes last year, and AGAIN we saw how it worked when he was given more time. Weaknesses were exposed.
If you gave him 12-15 mpg that would have meant sitting Kuran most likely (just to make it simple, doing a position for position swap) - and I believe our coach felt that our best 5 included Iverson if we were going to max out, especially after the EC injury.
Its about matchups, again, the matchup vs Dayton with the lineup they were using set up well for Berry to have a good game. Lets see how he does with more extended minutes over the last couple games to have a bigger sample size. Its tough to use a guy who can't defend the pick and roll or defend outside his immediate position unless we go strictly zone when he is in the game.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Don't forget McElvene and MIller were sitting most of the time that Berry was in. Dayton is a small team, it would be interesting to see his effectiveness against a team like Richmond or GW who are stronger in the paint
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Both UMass and Fordham like to bomb 3's all night.

Tough to play much zone in that scenario, so Berry probably won't play more than a few minutes in either game.

Like was said, it's all about the matchups, although if Watson and/or KI get in foul trouble, Berry will play by necessity.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

The fact is that pick-n-pop is not new to college hoops in 2016 nor the fact that teams jack up a lot of 3's. Hurley and staff know that before, during, and after recruitment of a player. If you (and the coaches) deem the situations suitable for Berry as few and far between, then perhaps they need to recruit a player who provides more "value" for his scholarship.

Same reason why teams don't spend a bazillion dollars on backup QB's. They spend their money on other players at other positions where they get more bang for their dollar. Is URI getting enough bang for his scholarship if his skill set is only suitable for playing against 10-15% of the teams on their schedule?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

PM3 - are you not familiar with the process of recruiting players who, at the time of their recruitment, might not be major contributors, but if they develop in a positive manner, could be useful players a year or two into the future? It's not as if AB was a guy they sought out as priority number 1 in the Fall. He was a late signee when they needed frontcourt players, or the alternative would be having an open scholarship.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A very nice win. I'm sure the players have been disappointed with this season. This provides a lift. Berry has looked good when he's played I'm not sure he's in shape yet to play big minutes. ARD has made him his project and it's paying some dividends.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OK...now you're just stealing my title...that'll be enough of that...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote:Both UMass and Fordham like to bomb 3's all night.

Tough to play much zone in that scenario, so Berry probably won't play more than a few minutes in either game.

Like was said, it's all about the matchups, although if Watson and/or KI get in foul trouble, Berry will play by necessity.
I'd plan on that...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody Stuns Dayton in this edition of Rhody Overtime.

http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 12a7a.html
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

sf2010 wrote:PM3 - are you not familiar with the process of recruiting players who, at the time of their recruitment, might not be major contributors, but if they develop in a positive manner, could be useful players a year or two into the future? It's not as if AB was a guy they sought out as priority number 1 in the Fall. He was a late signee when they needed frontcourt players, or the alternative would be having an open scholarship.
Considering the (supposed) talent of the big men that are arriving in Kingston this coming fall, what are the chances that Berry could be a useful player in 1 to 2 years? Isn't it possible that his already limited role would be diminished?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Possibly, but when Dan brought in Berry he did not have 3 big men recruits signed to NLI's.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah, exactly, it's easy to look back at it now and say that with the benefit of hindsight. What if they had missed out on some big man targets this year, then we'd be bashing them for not having somebody in the fold already. Also, I think if this year has taught us anything, it's that having depth at a position is never really a bad thing. Sure, he may end up not being needed down the line, until he is.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

He could outplay those guys. They are young and he will really be stepping into manhood. Plus he will have the benefit of being in the conditioning program.

I wonder if DH would play those guys over Berry to keep the players coming from those areas.

Whats the Louisiana connection?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Just in case you missed it. What I said earlier but by someone who matters-

And, the Louisiana connection was really just randomly Thompson initially. Carr saw him play and then that turned into knowing about Layssard, who had played with Thompson, and thinking that could be advantageous. They turned it over to ARD, who did a great job, for Layssard. ARD's always likely to cover the south, bonus that it was for a big this time. Carr and Murray got Thompson.
0 x