Game 28: @ Davidson Tuesday Feb 23 6:00pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 28: @ Davidson Tuesday Feb 23 6:00pm CBSSN

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I also think Berry will still be here.

Only way he might not, is if somehow Dan can get a Charles Cooke type juco or transfer.

A 16/6 guy would be a HUGE addition.

Of course, how do you know how they will produce, until they actually play for us......
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Berry looks good to me everytime I see him play. And he can shoot free throws. Let's see what some of these guys have at this point. This summer is going to be even longer than last summer
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing I've noticed about Berry is he uses that big body very well to box out on the boards. If he can get a little more mobility to get after the ball, I think he can be a very good rebounder.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Berry has deserved more minutes most of this year but he seems to only get them because of injuries... I just get the vibe Hurley is not high on him maybe I'm wrong...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
ram1980 wrote:Too bad. I think this league was there for the taking this year.. No dominant teams.. Until we get a full roster of scholarship players we will not get over the hump.. There has to be some depth to overcome inevitable in season injuries or other issues.
I don't know what A10 teams could have so many concurrent health issues and still compete for a NCAA bid.

Next year, we lose Earl and Four and we gain....

3 quality guards (including EC)
3 front court players

That should help.
At least that's what we think we are gaining. It seems something always happens to the roster each year.
I still think a worthy board contest is 'predict the scholarship players that will be ready to go when conference play starts next year.'
So many things can (and do seem) to happen..anyone that gets 10 right should get a free popcorn....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

15 Year Lurker wrote:Berry looks good to me everytime I see him play. And he can shoot free throws. Let's see what some of these guys have at this point. This summer is going to be even longer than last summer
The additions of David Price and Craig Kimbrel will hopefully help close the gap.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Doesn't matter really but I love what I see from Berry.(well more, like him for 10 minutes a game "love")

I also prefer a slower methodic pace that features serious offensive rebounding.

Most dominant teams in college either shoot lights out or offensive rebound like an avalanche.

I personally think that Berry can really offensive rebound against the lower half of the A10. He is a crap defender though.

Great touch. Good effort. I wonder what the ceiling is for his body and athleticism. Can he become the strongest guy on the floor? Insane hustle and strength?

Just trying to use a little imagination. This team/program needs a damn good surprise so bad. Imagine if Berry made a Isaiah Miles jump? Or whatever.

This program deserves an over achieving player or win or season or part of a season(i.e. OOC or A10 or A10 Tourn).

Just a good surprise. Not next year going 22-10 beating everyone that is outside of the top 100 RPI.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

15 Year Lurker wrote:Berry looks good to me everytime I see him play. And he can shoot free throws. Let's see what some of these guys have at this point. This summer is going to be even longer than last summer
I agree that Berry looks good in his limited minutes and I think he will and should be back next year - he could develop into a useful player. Not sure where that FT comment comes from though, he has made 3-5 on the year. Doesn't seem to me to be enough of a sample size...
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:
I agree that Berry looks good in his limited minutes and I think he will and should be back next year - he could develop into a useful player. Not sure where that FT comment comes from though, he has made 3-5 on the year. Doesn't seem to me to be enough of a sample size...
His JUCO free throw stats for last season, if accurate, are pretty good. Berry's defense is poor right now, but he's working hard not just to lose some weight but to try to gain some relative mobility and quickness.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Berry; can he play increased minutes in the Hurley style man defense?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

These next couple of games will tell us a lot more about Berry. Let's see what he can do with more minutes... I would love for him to end up being a great player for us he deserves it....He has shown he can finish the ball, grab the rebound, and he uses his body very well around the hoop. He also has good form at the line....It's his defense that's a liability especially off the ball. Guards seem to get to the rim easier since he does not have much lift or speed. He can bang, but bring in a quick forward and it's trouble....

My question is who is he going to get minutes over next year??
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I'm fine with Berry coming back assuming Hurley can't track down a better player, maybe a Juco like some have suggested. I have no qualms telling Berry to pack his bags though if it means a talent upgrade.

Still, I feel like Berry's ceiling is 5ppg/5rpg at most so I hope the staff does their due diligence to upgrade the roster even if it comes at Berry's expense.

Berry in the '12th man' role seems to have turned into a fan favorite/cult following in that aspect. Kind of like when Scalabrine was the 12th man on those Celtics squads. Not very good but everyone seems to root for him in that lovable 12th man spot.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

STC wrote:I'm fine with Berry coming back assuming Hurley can't track down a better player, maybe a Juco like some have suggested. I have no qualms telling Berry to pack his bags though if it means a talent upgrade.

Still, I feel like Berry's ceiling is 5ppg/5rpg at most so I hope the staff does their due diligence to upgrade the roster even if it comes at Berry's expense.

Berry in the '12th man' role seems to have turned into a fan favorite/cult following in that aspect. Kind of like when Scalabrine was the 12th man on those Celtics squads. Not very good but everyone seems to root for him in that lovable 12th man spot.
Exactly...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't believe in "cutting" guys that uphold their end of the bargain from a commitment standpoint, both academically and athletically. Your scholarship situation is your scholarship situation, unless a guy wants to go based on a fair and truthful explanation of where he stands in the program.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

TruePoint wrote:I don't believe in "cutting" guys that uphold their end of the bargain from a commitment standpoint, both academically and athletically. Your scholarship situation is your scholarship situation, unless a guy wants to go based on a fair and truthful explanation of where he stands in the program.
I agree with this. Not fair at all.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

The only scenario where kicking Berry out would make sense is if they found a really good transfer guard...which won't happen...because they already have 5 guards that will play at least two more years after this one.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Your points are valid and I think you can have a fair and honest discussion about where Berry stands going forward... which is at the end of the bench. I have no doubt in my mind that at least 2 of the 3 bigs being brought in will be ahead of Berry in terms of first bigs off the bench next year.

I think this can be addressed similar to Matthew Butler. Nice guy, team player who holds his own academically and who everyone wants to succeed but the bottom line is talent and a path to playing time. I don't think Berry has either of those. I don't mean to come off as ripping the kid either, I want him to succeed as much as anyone here but I have to be realistic about things.

I'm not advocating to cut him just to cut him either. I'm saying in the event that this staff identifies a player who can step in and help get this team over the hump and into the tourney then I say you do it.

Right now, lets just make a tournament for the first time this century and then we can worry about being the most moral team on the block.

Who knows, maybe he can go play for BC, they could sure use a player or twelve.

Anyways, this will be my last post on this issue as I refuse to allow myself to get dragged into a back and forth with the contrarian of this board. Just giving my input and moving on...
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

No one is saying he should just be cut. If Berry is busting his ass then let him go to another team where he will actually get some minutes. I'm sure he isn't losing all this weight to watch our incoming freshman play over him. Which if I had to bet that will happen... That's not his fault it's that this staff has done an awesome job of bringing in 3 star bigs that have a lot of potential... We see situations like this ALL the time in college basketball.. We have seen it here. Who knows what will happen.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The only reason he should maybe leave is if we get some graduate transfer big that wants to play for us next year.
Otherwise, he should stay so we have 13 guys on the roster.
It's not like he's been bad out there either. Maybe if he sheds like 30 pounds of fat he can really do something. He's got the touch
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I like him
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess he shows up to practice next fall 20 lbs. lighter.

If not, he won't play much if at all. A lot more competition for PT next season.....
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

sf2010 wrote:
Surprised he's only shot 5. I guess the ones I saw were with the game on the line and he made both..which hasn't happened really with anyone else so I must have positive association memory of that is a thing.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

STC wrote:Your points are valid and I think you can have a fair and honest discussion about where Berry stands going forward... which is at the end of the bench. I have no doubt in my mind that at least 2 of the 3 bigs being brought in will be ahead of Berry in terms of first bigs off the bench next year.

I think this can be addressed similar to Matthew Butler. Nice guy, team player who holds his own academically and who everyone wants to succeed but the bottom line is talent and a path to playing time. I don't think Berry has either of those. I don't mean to come off as ripping the kid either, I want him to succeed as much as anyone here but I have to be realistic about things.

I'm not advocating to cut him just to cut him either. I'm saying in the event that this staff identifies a player who can step in and help get this team over the hump and into the tourney then I say you do it.

Right now, lets just make a tournament for the first time this century and then we can worry about being the most moral team on the block.

Who knows, maybe he can go play for BC, they could sure use a player or twelve.

Anyways, this will be my last post on this issue as I refuse to allow myself to get dragged into a back and forth with the contrarian of this board. Just giving my input and moving on...
This summer I'm going to vow to not assume anyone coming in is better than anyone on the current team until I see it myself. This board is the king of summertime hype on new guys not trying to drag you back in here just stating I am going to live an excite less life until next fall.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You're not the only one.

It's "show me" time starting in November.

We can be as hopeful as possible, but that's it.

More like "fingers and toes crossed" time actually.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yep, and and the early eyeball test will be major indicator of who has the early right stuff to come up to speed to make a contribution.....one will start?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We picked up Berry when we needed a big late in the recruiting year. We were also looking at a Quad Smith at the time. I am glad we went with Berry.
Also like that Berry played at St Andrews.
Berry lost 40 pounds by the start of this season by commitment, hard work and sacrifice. He has lost additional weight since.
He has impressed me with his offensive rebounding, his positioning for rebounds, his soft shooting touch and his potential.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:208, right you are....

I think we're good for a win over UMass, Fordham is a tossup, and one win in NY. 18-15 final tally, probably.

That's if Hassan can play and not be too limited.

Then I think Dan will pull the plug on a CBI invite. Too banged up.

This team and program are due for some good things to happen, to even things out a little.

Next year, next year, next year.

Guys, I think our "in your face" defense is taken a little too literally. Their faces [and heads] paid the price.

There is no way URI goes to the CBI
In 2015 no A10 teams went to this tournament
In 2014 no A10 teams went. St Bonaventure was invited but did not accept due to school policy and the cost
In 2013 only Richmond went
Appears that the A10 is not interested in this Tournament any more
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, I agree we aren't going, even if invited.

The earlier our players rest up and rehab for next season, the better.

Playing in the CBI means nothing. The goals here are a little higher than that.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramster wrote:We picked up Berry when we needed a big late in the recruiting year. We were also looking at a Quad Smith at the time. I am glad we went with Berry.
Also like that Berry played at St Andrews.
Berry lost 40 pounds by the start of this season by commitment, hard work and sacrifice. He has lost additional weight since.
He has impressed me with his offensive rebounding, his positioning for rebounds, his soft shooting touch and his potential.
+1. Agree with ALL of this.

Local kid that has really bought in to the program and changed himself. Not only that but has shown glimpses of certain skills when on the floor.

I pull for him. As-is he won't get probably won't win games but maybe he gets good enough to be a rotational player.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

The CBI a pay to play joke. Play out the season and get ready for next year.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I wish Bonnie Colson Jr. had given URI a chance
0 x