Interesting read about UMASS athletics

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Interesting read about UMASS athletics

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass is trying to do too much. It does not have the resources or fan base to support three successful major D1 sports - FBS football, Men's D1 Basketball, and Men's D1 Hockey. In the end, none of them can succeed. While URI certainly has its own issues (basketball team not doing as well as expected and a perpetually bad FCS football team), it is still not as bad in Kingston as it is in Amherst.

UMass FBS Football is in a very precarious place with no conference affiliation and no reasonable home stadium solution (Gillette is too big and far away and McGuirk is not big enough nor have enough amenities to attract a better conference or name opponents). The location of Amherst also works against the school as its distance from the Boston population center hurts. We always hear how far URI is from Providence. Amherst is 3x the distance and is more out of sight and mind to those living in Boston than URI is to anyone in RI.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Neither UMASS nor URI has been able to fully replace their big name basketball coach.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rosie, maybe Coach K would want a nice easy gig after he leaves Duke....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :o
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramblinrose wrote:Neither UMASS nor URI has been able to fully replace their big name basketball coach.
At least URI has multiple coaches (3) that won an NCAA game. Only one UMass basketball coach (Calipari) has ever won an NCAA game. One might say they were much more dependent on their big name coach.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Grasping at straws. Both programs have been non-entities for years.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

UMASS looks ridiculous trying to compete at 1-A football.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramblinrose wrote:UMASS looks ridiculous trying to compete at 1-A football.
Totally agree, but....not sure Rhody fans are in a position to be critical of anyone else's football program...are they?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If UMass is serious about div I football, then unfortunately their best bet is to find a FBS conference for all sports (C-USA, American, MAC). If they can't find an FBS conference, then they should drop back to FCS. I don't want URI to lose a long time rival and partner in the A10, but that's what would likely have to happen unless UMass goes back to FCS.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They were in the MAC for football. They aren't going back there.

If they go anywhere, I would think AAC. And that's only if that conference has room for them. They probably want to join UConn, but UConn wants out.....

Based on the TV money the AAC gets, even that's a stretch. Their travel costs would be astronomical.

Plus their facilities would be bottom feeder level.

They are in a no win situation staying where they are......
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

URI should kill football. It loses moeny, the facilities are awful and there's little interest. But at least URU didn't invest tons in moving to D-1.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Big XII might realign this summer and maybe that leaves UMass with a spot in the AAC. That's about the only way Umass has a shot to pull out of this flat spin. And even that's sort of a long shot.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Imo this is our last gasp.

According to some, URI did pick up some decent CAA level talent this just concluded recruiting period.

If true, then it should start to reflect in the W-L record in the next year or two.

Then again, that's if Fleming can coach them up.

Who knows.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Drop football, raise hockey from club status.....with Fleming on board, that ship probably sailed....I am thinking there is enough lingering bolster support for football, Thorr here with part of his mission to build it?....this has been debated for quite some time....make football club.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Before URI commits to any facility improvements, they have to see improvements on the field imo.

Fleming's got a couple more years to make that happen.

Or else, I think football is history. The moment of truth is approaching.

Just getting better talent isn't enough. He has to turn that talent into wins.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Big XII might realign this summer and maybe that leaves UMass with a spot in the AAC. That's about the only way Umass has a shot to pull out of this flat spin. And even that's sort of a long shot.
Is that still on the table? I thought the NCAA was going to allow them to have a football conference championship game with only ten schools. If they can do that, they probably won't expand, more revenue for Texas with only ten schools.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This thread belongs in "All other college sports"

NCAA or Bust is for URI Basketball
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass would love to get into the present AAC. It has had past rivalries with AAC members UConn and Temple. They would be the closest schools. The problem is UConn would never let UMass join while it was still a member. If UConn leaves (which it is desperately trying to do) and UMass is offered, the league is then not nearly as attractive. More so if other high profile members such as Cincinnati or Memphis bolt as UConn's exit would likely be tied to another conference realignment resulting in multiple moves. A future gutted AAC void of big names and spread out over much of the country might not be a good nor affordable option for UMass.

The UMass conference future has a great impact on URI. They are our only real true longtime rival in the A-10 and closest member school. If the A-10 continues its southern and western expansion strategy, Rhody becomes even more an outlier in the league. It will have even less influence and its travel costs will increase.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

There's no single move. One move would lead to a number of others. But I haven't seen or read anything on that in a while. And as somebody mentioned I thought the Big 12 got approval to play a championship game? That could keep them from expanding. Texas calls the shots in that league anyway so i guess it's up to them.
0 x