Ryan Center Improvements - Beer and Replays

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Ryan Center Improvements - Beer and Replays

Unread post by Blue Man »

I know there's a thread here somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Mods, feel free to attach this into that for organization's sake.

So ignoring this dumpster fire of a year with injuries and missed expectations that we can't do anything about, we're all still going to the games, because there's something wrong in each of our heads - or we're just seeing season ticket/donation investments out to the end.

Since we're going to be in the building, which has made significant strides recently, I still have 2 main gripes.

1) Drinking a beer in my seat. Obviously (I think) it's coming (I hope). We keep getting closer, but it's sad and annoying that as an adult watching a difficult on court product this year, that I can't even drink a beer to try and numb the pain.

Every time it was brought up in the past, we were fed a line that we've been fed about it being "illegal" which was BS- ya know since there's now 2 locations on the public concourse, the alumni lounge, as well as all the boxes up top - where you can buy and drink a beer.

Why can't we just drink it at our seats? What the hell is taking so long? I'm not even asking for an efficient set up where there are beer taps at the concession stands - just let me bring the beer I'm overpaying for in your building to my seat. There's no good viewpoint to watch the game from with a beer in my hand, and I like my seats. I paid for my seats. I donated to be able to pay for my seats. Why can't I just have a beer and watch the game from my seats?

Moving forward I feel like I'm going to be in the minority of people physically sitting in a seat in that building, so why can't the experience be made a little better for me and others in my similar situation?

2) Replays. f&*#ing replays. This is really starting to chap my ass. Why can't we have replays in the Ryan Center?

Now before we're fed another line about it being "illegal" or "against NCAA rules" or some other load of shit, we've all been to college games where replays are played. For instance, I know of an arena not 40 minutes north of the Ryan Center that does that.

Dunks, great shots, out of bounds plays, fouls, blocks - all of them - played on the jumbotron for the fans to see. It adds to the in-game experience, that seems to be lacking with each passing game.

On nights like Saturday - when the refs are doing 10 minute huddles ever 30 seconds of gameplay - it would be nice to be included as to what's happening. Maybe try to distract me with a great dunk or big shot from a few minutes earlier? Maybe try to do anything other than canned elevator music or Dan Yorke talking about aimless nothingness.

Now I've also heard "we don't have the technology." This is obvious bullshit. At least I would hope it is. Because in a 65 million dollar arena that is capable of playing videos, live-streaming action, has the same LED ribbon as the Boston Garden, and in the year 2016 - I would hope that you would be able to have the same technology in that building that I had in my high school com lab in 2001.

Say that it could pathetically be true, that somehow, someway (see what i did there) there isn't a DVR in that building capable of being cue'd up in the last 30 seconds (ya know except for the TV room that handles the live TV feeds and shows replays via the television broadcast) - you're telling me you can't just live stream the TV broadcast? Just plug it in and play the TV broadcast to catch when they're playing the replays?

Needed to bitch.

But hey, there's always next year!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ryan Center Improvements - Beer and Replays

Unread post by section(105) »

I am now ready for both, I was not fan of the beer in the seats, but fully on board with the replays.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm guessing the reason we aren't allowed to bring beer to our seats is the fear of people 21+ buying and giving beer to people under 21/students then having something happen.

I obviously would love to drink my beer at my seat as well, and that is purely a guess on my part as to why they don't allow beer in the seats.
0 x
Go Rhody
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Agree with the replays.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I use to work for the RC the first 3 seasons it opened operating the replay screens. Showing replays was a must! As I sat there producing it every play stoppage I wanted a replay to go along with the ads.
I still remember replaying dustin's 3 to beat USC playing over and over on a loop. Also there was times when the games wasn't on TV and the refs would use our feeds sent to the scorers table. So to Anwser your question YES it can happen. It all depends on who is producing in the back room.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhodysk wrote:So to Anwser your question YES it can happen. It all depends on who is producing in the back room.
Depends on who is producing??? If they can't do this seemingly simple feet they shouldn't be producing. I think my 5 year old son could handle this.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

If they don't change the rules on adult beverages in the seats than they need to make the pub areas two-tiered so more people can see the game. They also should move the location of the special seating area they have right in front of the pub (they have it on the north side, not sure about the south) to improve sight lines.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote:I'm guessing the reason we aren't allowed to bring beer to our seats is the fear of people 21+ buying and giving beer to people under 21/students then having something happen.

I obviously would love to drink my beer at my seat as well, and that is purely a guess on my part as to why they don't allow beer in the seats.
Beer in the seats...they'd sell a boatload more of them, that's for sure...the "pub" seems solely designed to be able to check off the box that says, 'yes, beer is sold'...while trying to make it as slow, difficult, and painful as possible. Just for fun...would be curious to hear ideas on how it could be made any worse... :lol:
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:I'm guessing the reason we aren't allowed to bring beer to our seats is the fear of people 21+ buying and giving beer to people under 21/students then having something happen.

Beer in the seats...they'd sell a boatload more of them, that's for sure...the "pub" seems solely designed to be able to check off the box that says, 'yes, beer is sold'...while trying to make it as slow, difficult, and painful as possible. Just for fun...would be curious to hear ideas on how it could be made any worse... :lol:
They could drive a nail into your foot while you were waiting and waiting. That might make it worse.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The replay thing is aggravating as hell. Does the board have the resolution required to do slo-mo replay? Seems like it should since they show regular video up there.

Edit: never mind. Asked and answered.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Captainron@ wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

They could drive a nail into your foot while you were waiting and waiting. That might make it worse.
^ Keep these coming....'sharp stick in the eye' is always a good one, too.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

An enema required before drinking.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

or...how about if you had to wait in line to get a wristband that you can't get off without a heavy duty knife or scissors...then you leave...and when you come back, you have to wait in line behind people getting wristbands...oh, wait...never mind....
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Drinking in the seats should not only be allowed, it should be required.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

ramfan85 wrote:Drinking in the seats should not only be allowed, it should be required.
The way things are lately there should be a 6 beer minimum!
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:or...how about if you had to wait in line to get a wristband that you can't get off without a heavy duty knife or scissors...then you leave...and when you come back, you have to wait in line behind people getting wristbands...oh, wait...never mind....
I've been told wristband just shows you've been ID'd and the line is due to capacity in the space. So even if you had an wristband it doesn't mean you're guaranteed access. Sort of like a bar where it's reached capacity and it's one in one out a la CharlieO's back when many of us were in school.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

TruePoint wrote:The replay thing is aggravating as hell. Does the board have the resolution required to do slo-mo replay? Seems like it should since they show regular video up there.

The existing video production room requires updating to integrate replays to the new equipment. This is something the Ryan Center and Rhody Sports Properties would like to further enhance the fan experience, but it hasn't happened.

The same can be said for beer and proper alcohol service. The University has to WANT to make it better for basketball fans. It is obvious that fans/boosters want proper alcohol service and that message has been delivered loud and clear. So we wait...

Most here know that the Ryan Center routinely gets permission to provide "normal" beer service (a la the Dunk) during some non-student-focused concerts.

Ironically, for the student-focused concerts, there has to be medical staff on hand to deal with the over-intoxicated kids who pregamed or somehow got more drunk while at the event.

We obviously don't need that for basketball games, so what's the hold up?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

I agree 100%. Both of these things really detract from the in-game experience. I recently met my dad and uncle (coming up from NY) for a game and wanted to grab a beer. They stayed in the seats, I had to try to watch the game from a 4 foot gap inside the "bar" area instead of spending more time with my family that I don't get to see all that often. Will not be doing that again, lesson learned.

Yes replays, yes sell beer at the freaking concession stand.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
MegaRamFan2
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MegaRamFan2 »

Yes to beer and YES to replays! You want the crowd to be more engaged and enthusiastic about good plays or bad calls then utilize your massive new HD screens and flash some F***ING REPLAYS! We have one of the best power dunkers in all of college basketball (in my opinion) in Hassan Martin and we don't have the ability to see a slow-mo replay from our seats? Common sense ridiculousness (thank you Rob Dyrdek)!

The beer area is horrendous. I will say I was happy to see that they finally put TVs in the area to see the game, but obviously the broadcast is slower so you know something good or bad is coming up well before you see it on the screen. I don't think we've received a good answer yet as to why it is necessary for the RC staff to individually open and pour every single can of beer into a cup in a "designated drinking area." I love the effort of the staff to keep the line moving though... Just kidding! I think chimpanzees could open and pour a beer faster! I just don't understand why if the area is deemed a "designated drinking area" that it would matter if you just gave the can to the person in line as opposed to pouring them individually. Not to mention, there would be less recycling that the RC would have to deal with! If you want to pour beers, then put a simple speed beer tap system in place so Susie and Joe don't break a nail trying to open cans all night.

I took pictures and video of the experience this past game as I waited in line in this area. I got there right at halftime and didn't have a beer in my hand until 5 minutes into the second half! Talk about "fan experience!"
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

From what I have heard, beer in your seats won't be coming anytime soon.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RF1 wrote:From what I have heard, beer in your seats won't be coming anytime soon.
Maybe they think it is 1926 prohibition instead of 2016?

If I had to prioritize, I want replays over beer in your seats. Obviously the beer in your seats is painfully simple. Both are ridiculous to not have.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Perhaps they are worried that if beer is available in the seats fans may actually stand up from time to time. We can't have that!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I can sort of understand not wanting beer in the seats, but there is no logical explanation why they have to waste time and pour beer from the cans to plastic cups. Complete waste of time.
0 x
Go Rhody
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

they ever heard of kegs? oh yea, that dipshit banned them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I agree. Hopefully I can get an answer on that. There's got to be something that can improve the speed of service while they have us locked up in the Pubs.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

dont forget to get a ticket and hand it off to the person a foot away

unreal.........

i gave everyone the REAL solution like a month ago on what REALLY needs to be done

spend some $ and do it right for goodness sake
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...are we settled on this? No possible way to make it any worse? I.e., "Mission Accomplished"?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

$50-$100k spent and then it will be "mission accomplished"

Peanuts

Where's the vision uri ?!?

Think small, we do..

Don't trip over the shower curtain when entering the "pub" :)
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:Perhaps they are worried that if beer is available in the seats fans may actually stand up from time to time. We can't have that!

If they stand, I think we all know where they'll be heading.
Older kidneys are a. bummer.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

People here want to see the process to get beer made quicker and more easier. I get the feeling the school doesn't share that desire. They serve beer but make getting it difficult. I think that may be the actual plan.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:People here want to see the process to get beer made quicker and more easier. I get the feeling the school doesn't share that desire. They serve beer but make getting it difficult. I think that may be the actual plan.
Agree...and like I said earlier...looks like "Mission Accomplished."
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ATPTourFan wrote:I agree. Hopefully I can get an answer on that. There's got to be something that can improve the speed of service while they have us locked up in the Pubs.
Put an entrepreneur in charge of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Speaking of improvements, has everyone seen the facility and student involvement that Hurley implemented.
Just imagine the distraction factor with the keaneyerblue member in a speedo with all their medals. Candidates??

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/1/2 ... te-student
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Is that a banana in his suit or is he just glad to be there?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:The replay thing is aggravating as hell. Does the board have the resolution required to do slo-mo replay? Seems like it should since they show regular video up there.

The existing video production room requires updating to integrate replays to the new equipment. This is something the Ryan Center and Rhody Sports Properties would like to further enhance the fan experience, but it hasn't happened.

The same can be said for beer and proper alcohol service. The University has to WANT to make it better for basketball fans. It is obvious that fans/boosters want proper alcohol service and that message has been delivered loud and clear. So we wait...

Most here know that the Ryan Center routinely gets permission to provide "normal" beer service (a la the Dunk) during some non-student-focused concerts.

Ironically, for the student-focused concerts, there has to be medical staff on hand to deal with the over-intoxicated kids who pregamed or somehow got more drunk while at the event.

We obviously don't need that for basketball games, so what's the hold up?
so old equipment could handle replays, but the new equipment can't? Why update to eqipment that can't handle what you want?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Had two beers before the St. Joe's game. Not that crowded in the pub. Terrible place to watch the game from but it was ok to socialize. One previous poster was right, John Tafer would have a field day with this scenario. Looking forward to the day that I can have a beer in my seat.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:so old equipment could handle replays, but the new equipment can't? Why update to eqipment that can't handle what you want?
Old equipment could handle old analog standard definition replays, just like your old VCR could record a show back in the late 90s.

The new HD video boards and ribbon wrap require a lot more horsepower, and live in-house replays are just not possible using what's left over from the 2002 launch of the Ryan Center.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Anyone else notice they turned down the volume on the music and PA for the games? It's much more tolerable, actual conversation can be had with the folks next to you. I consider this a major improvement.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I could do without our PA announcer. Jarvis steps up for a crucial 1 and 1 against Dayton late in game, the crowd quiets, as the ref hands Jarvis the ball, this fe#ken nitwit announcer yells at the top of his lungs in his best WWE crazed voice 1 aaaaaaaandddddddddddd 111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I should have offered my wife a 5k dollar shopping spree to step down and dope slap that PA announcer idiot in the back of the head right then and there.

GO RHODY!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agree. Noticed the pleasant new sound level.

Also agree. We pay yorke and it seems like he just wings the intros. Incorrect voice inflection. His voice breaks. Just sounds small time.

But at least it doesn't affect the game like the ridiculously dramatic "...Jarvis Garrett is at the line forrrrr......ONE.........AND............ONE.........
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

PA announcer; I have had mild support for Dan Yorke in the past. Now I ready rethinking that, even though his other media platforms have some added value to help promote the program. I am ready for a change next year...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gotta find someone like Mike Mancuso to really work at and take it seriously.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Replays are a must. Beer in the seats isn't happening.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Yorke is what is expected from a PA guy now ...shouting over routine baslets, as if every hoop is a Dr.J dunk. And the DJ clown is needless. If the team is good, you need none of that sideshow crap.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Our fan base is old. They need to stay awake. Yorke fits the bill.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Not a fan of beer in the seats since the last thing I want to worry about is someone spilling it on me. The aisles are narrow enough as it is and accidents are bound to happen. Even if it was in a plastic bottle or some container, then it will just give any drunk immature fans something to throw on the court once they're drunk and upset. There has already been an incident or two with small objects being thrown this year.

I'm in support of the replays. Plus, it would be nice if the team's introduction/entrance video was "full screen" rather than a medium sized square with ads still to the left and right of the video while it's running. In my opinion, it takes a little something away from the entrance video and atmosphere.
In my opinion, it would be nice if York was no longer the PA announcer...just dreadful in my opinion...an assault on the ears. It's not about the hype as much as the way he goes about it...just bad in my opinion and in the opinion of the 6+ people that sit near me in my section.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I am on the cusp of 60. I don't need a seaming PA announcer or contests or a nitwit deejay to keep me awake at games. My stamina may be less than it was but my attention span is fine.
Give me a quality game, well played and we'll officiated and I'm happy. In fact I'd pay a few bucks extra if they did away with the other crap. Now they have all this side BS often to mask a mediocre product.
It's not the old geezers what need to be blasted awake, it's a young crowd that needs the dancing bears and puppy races.
I stopped going to Celtics games because of "game presentation." And Dan Yorke at the RC is in the same arena, so to speak. This is a grown man acting like this, a guy asking to be taken seriously on talk shows.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Take me back to the days were the PA announcer did the basics; name, position, foul on; number personal fouls/team fouls, etc. I do not need/want the PA announcer trying to dabble in sorta calling the game in the building. I do not need the screeching "THREEeeeeeee...." And stuff like that. I suppose all this extra crap came about with the NBA style show introductions of home team players, spot lights etc. And the PA announcers wanting to develop a voice brand and becoming the voice of the arena. For me, a style that is pleasing to the ear, limited and natural, not forced. I wonder these; 1). How does the Athletic Dept. evaluate the current announcer, and what role do they want him to deliver. 2). Has athletics ever auditioned a women. And 3) Has athletics ever thought of a wide spectrum focus group of fans/ticket buyers? Time for a change. I am over 60, I get the need for the other stuff during times out etc.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

If Yorke left, they'd bring in someone similar. There's a generation that believes ordinary layups in with 25 point leads should be announced like the Second Coming. And that contests and T shirt launches are why you attend games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:If Yorke left, they'd bring in someone similar. There's a generation that believes ordinary layups in with 25 point leads should be announced like the Second Coming. And that contests and T shirt launches are why you attend games.
Agree....but, it would be nice to be able to have a normal conversation once in a while...or, maybe only old people think that way
0 x