Game 21: vs St Joseph Saturday Jan 30, 6:00PM TV: CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 21: vs St Joseph Saturday Jan 30, 6:00PM TV: CBSSN

Unread post by Running Ram »

And in the lip read of Phillie Martelli, it looks clear to me he is saying "Ms. Bernadette is a fuc%!^@ asshole."

Get on this Bernadette! You can't have the coaches bad mouthing you like this, discipline is called for!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Running Ram wrote:RF1, with all due respect, I really have to disagree with the A10 school conspiracy thing you're peddling, unless you mean on a season by season basis, because that I could buy. However, it's in that belief, that I feel as though we have as many chances as any school to be one of those "few schools," of course the league office wants to see whatever scenario will get the highest number of tournament teams as a result, so at this point it looks like we're out and Joes is in, next year maybe LaSalle is in the spot Joes is in and gets the treatment. Maybe we just forgot what its like to be a league darling because of the tournament drought we're in? I won't disagree that what you say feels true, but I think most of it has to do with the later season standings. In the past, it felt as if Temple always got favorable calls to ours when we played, then it was a healthy mix of Temple and Xavier that could do no wrong, then Xavier and Joes, sometimes the league's biases do almost feel intentional, but if there is any intent conscious or otherwise (sub, non, un or co-conscious) I'll hesitate to believe it doesn't boil down to what teams are in the best position to make tournament appearances.

It is a longtime feeling. URI has for the most part never been part of the CHOSEN teams. Our geography has always been an issue. The Pittsburgh pack influenced the league in the early days (some combo of Pitt/DU/WVU/PSU), then the Philly mafia schools (some combo Temple/SJU/LaSalle/RU), and now the VA area confederation schools (UR/VCU/GMU/GMU). Heck even the Ohio schools had a lot of influence for being just two schools at the extreme geographic edge of the league. Another issue that has evolved over time is the fact that a once public school league has morphed into a private (mostly Catholic) school league making URI, a state university, an outsider. The fact that URI has not been a consistent NCAA team with high attendance has hurt as I feel the league greatly favors those teams. Whether, it has been all team selections, tournament locations, tv appearances, schedules, officiating, HQ location, or PR matters, Rhody often gets the shaft and is given little consideration. I feel a top notch league should not operate in this manner. A league should treat all equally and try to raise all schools and not just favor a few. I feel the A-10 has in some regards created a caste system of haves and have nots and operates in a manner that perpetuates it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rhodyrudder wrote:Anybody see Dan call time after the last made basket?
What do you mean? He CAN'T get a timeout himself, so do you mean he forgot the new rule and was trying to call TO? I may have to go back to the DVR unless you can help us understand what you're getting at, Rudder.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
What do you mean? He CAN'T get a timeout himself, so do you mean he forgot the new rule and was trying to call TO? I may have to go back to the DVR unless you can help us understand what you're getting at, Rudder.
He can call a TO from the bench after a made basket. In crunch time after a made URI basket he was screaming for a TO and the refs didn't give it to him. He was livid. So after the next made Rhody basket he called TO again only this time he made the "T" sign about 2 inches from the ref's face. It was subsequently granted followed by some more staring.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Appreciate the clarity, URI96! You certainly had a great view of the show Saturday night!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Danny does need to tone it down a little on the 50/50 calls but what happened Saturday was more than any coach could be expected to take. Those 3 bums were totally unprofessional & the league can't tolerate that either. Wednesday night Danny got in to it with Gene Steretore (NFL ref). They had their back & forth but Steretore stayed professional the whole game & you could see he & Danny talking calmly throughout the game. Danny got upset but Steretore didn't try to screw us & you could see Danny respect that by being able to talk to him the remainder of the game. They were both even smiling during some exchanges. That's the difference between a professional ref & a yahoo that gets paid. Those refs are getting big money (you'd be surprised how much) plus expenses to do these games. There's no excuse for a lack of professionalism. WE pay to see the players play, not the refs ref.
0 x
Keatgsr07
Kenny Green

Unread post by Keatgsr07 »

Our fan base itself is currently like a mediocre, dysfunctional team. We fight, argue, take sides (I'm one of the glass 1/2 empty guys this year), and nothing productive really comes out of it. If we were a winning program, not only this season, but had a history of success, I have to imagine we'd be a much more aligned group.

This thing is ugly right now, the team and the fan base.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rammgr wrote:Danny does need to tone it down a little on the 50/50 calls but what happened Saturday was more than any coach could be expected to take. Those 3 bums were totally unprofessional & the league can't tolerate that either. Wednesday night Danny got in to it with Gene Steretore (NFL ref). They had their back & forth but Steretore stayed professional the whole game & you could see he & Danny talking calmly throughout the game. Danny got upset but Steretore didn't try to screw us & you could see Danny respect that by being able to talk to him the remainder of the game. They were both even smiling during some exchanges. That's the difference between a professional ref & a yahoo that gets paid. Those refs are getting big money (you'd be surprised how much) plus expenses to do these games. There's no excuse for a lack of professionalism. WE pay to see the players play, not the refs ref.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. He can definitely stand to tone it down at times, but I might have gone just as crazy at points in that game. And great point about Steretore, that is totally the difference between a pro and what we're used to seeing. You can see it at times in other games to when we get some of the more experienced refs. My favorite part of that Hurley/Steretore exchange was after Dan got done yelling at him at one point he smiled and motioned like he was throwing a flag and said he wanted to challenge the call. They both laughed and moved on.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I certainly think Dan needs to stop arguing every call and tone it down a little and typically don't complain about refs....

However Saturday night was to another level and think it does need to be addressed. The most important job of a ref is to be unbiased and to me it was obvious that the officiating crew failed. To me they let their personal opinion of Dan effect the way they called the game which is a lack of professionalism which cannot be tolerated.

Also John Chaney used to give the refs hell as well, I don't recall his teams getting screwed by refs.
0 x
Clapton is God
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Did Bobby Knight get screwed by the refs?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Did Bobby Knight get screwed by the refs?

Bobby Knight had NCAA and Big Ten championships and numerous NCAA appearances. He was able to get away with far more.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, we got T-boned by the refs for sure, but when 3/4 of the team shoots it at 15% for an entire game, no amount of fairness would have won us that game.

I think we've [myself included] lost sight of that fact for a bit.

Man, some nights we show up and make shots, and other nights it looks like we've been shot.

The inconsistency is mind boggling.

The combination of the refs and our own pathetic shooting is a deadly brew indeed.

When, oh when, will it end? Good teams do NOT disappear into the ether like we do at times.

It certainly doesn't help one's confidence that things will get a lot better anytime soon, and that includes next season.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Did Bobby Knight get screwed by the refs?

Bobby Knight had NCAA and Big Ten championships and numerous NCAA appearances. He was able to get away with far more.
Well, I think it was far different. I think he actually intimidated the refs.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Thorr and Dooley need to have two conversations:
-- They need to tell Dan to turn it down and reassure him they have his back.
-- They need to sit down (minus Dan) with McGlade and show her a (ahem) highlight reel of the horsesh!t officiating we've been getting. If her response includes "Dan yells . . . " they need to show her slow-motion video of the criminal assault on Kuran and ask her how Dan should have reacted when the referees let his assailant stay in the game.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, you are saying Dan remain blameless for countless
outbursts, like the one in Cancun or in the NIT vs. Stanford?
Administration should sit down with him, but to
tell him to cut the drama.
The refs suck, but Dan pours gasoline on the fire.
You can't tell me if someone yelled at you for 40 minutes,
you'd just smile and go about your job.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

If I'm a ref, I ask Dan one thing after his tantrums. What the bleep have you ever won? Bobby Knight? He got away with it because he won three titles and was always in the Dance.
Does Dan really think screaming and stamping his feet for 40 minutes helps? The refs on Saturday were bad. But URI's offense was in disarray. And players reflect the coach. A few times I've noticed players fail to get back on D because they were glaring at a ref (that always works).
We all lowered our expectations when EC hurt but this kind of lackluster performance has happened way too often. Hurley showed last year he can produce. But I'm not sure he can adapt on the fly.
I've seen awful coaches like Gerry and Brendan Malone, great ones like Kraft, Pender and Harrick. Hurley is in the middle at the moment. I wish we could get a Mulligan on this season.
And if you bring in a one year guy for the sole purpose of shooting, please make sure he can.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

URI96 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
He can call a TO from the bench after a made basket. In crunch time after a made URI basket he was screaming for a TO and the refs didn't give it to him. He was livid. So after the next made Rhody basket he called TO again only this time he made the "T" sign about 2 inches from the ref's face. It was subsequently granted followed by some more staring.
I didn't see the first attempt, glad for that perspective.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

After last season I think we all had great hopes for the future with Dan as our coach. I know I did.

Boy has that changed, and it's not all because EC got hurt.

DH has made a bad situation worse. It looks like it could spiral out of control, just like he does on the sidelines.

I can defend him, as OUR coach, only so much. I've given him the benefit of the doubt, many times. [Believe it or not, 208]

But it's crossed the line now, just as the refs have.

There is zippo to look forward to right now.

Next season is next season, sure. Is Dan going to get a brain transplant during the offseason? Maybe a little electro shock therapy would help, like Nicholson got in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest".

Are his players going to be able to make a shot next season? Will they be able to avoid fouling out more often than not?

Will we make our FT's in crunch time? Will we find somebody who can take over a game and win it also?

A ton of questions, and very few answers.

The biggest one. Will we Dance? That looks like a million miles away.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I guarantee the teams that are projected to secure bids going into the A10 Tourney don't win the league.

There will be a party crasher and the A10 will max out its bids.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe, but I doubt there's more than 1 person on this board that still thinks WE will be that party crasher.

Wait for it........
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

208 is banking on it.

I wouldn't bet it would be us. VCU, DAYTON, JOES will enter NYC with a bid locked up. Win 1 game. Then GW will be given Brooklyn to secure their bid.

OR A10 will get crazy and try to have GW play like Richmond for the title and Richmond will win it. People love Mooney.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yea, Dan may be out of control at times, but he is an guy who wears his emotions on his sleeve and inherently there is nothing wrong with being emotional. Phil Martelli is a totally different story in that the guy has shown through the years to have no class.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:208 is banking on it.

I wouldn't bet it would be us. VCU, DAYTON, JOES will enter NYC with a bid locked up. Win 1 game. Then GW will be given Brooklyn to secure their bid.

OR A10 will get crazy and try to have GW play like Richmond for the title and Richmond will win it. People love Mooney.
RHODY!
RHODY!
RHODY!
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Obadiah wrote:Yea, Dan may be out of control at times, but he is an guy who wears his emotions on his sleeve and inherently there is nothing wrong with being emotional. Phil Martelli is a totally different story in that the guy has shown through the years to have no class.
The only coach in the A10, that I would like to get violent with. (Even at my advanced age.)
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Martell I is a public jerk but one who's had some success. If Hurley wins a game or two in the Dance, then he will be "intense." Now?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:So, you are saying Dan remain blameless for countless
outbursts, like the one in Cancun or in the NIT vs. Stanford?
Administration should sit down with him, but to
tell him to cut the drama.
The refs suck, but Dan pours gasoline on the fire.
You can't tell me if someone yelled at you for 40 minutes,
you'd just smile and go about your job.
Show me where I used the word "blameless."
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I hope we get another shot at St. Joe's in the tournament. If nothing else it sure would be interesting.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

When you say Thorr and Dooley need to sit down
with the coach and tell him "They have his back",
with no mention of toning his act down,
what other conclusion is there to draw?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
MARhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MARhody »

Long ride home Saturday night, too angry to post or read this thread yesterday. The three main reasons we lost that game are this:

- Could not connect on an outside shot. It just wasn't their night, thought maybe there were times they settled from the outside when they could have brought the ball inside, especially in the first half there were a lot of quick offensive chances where they took the first long shot.

- Too easy for St.J to drive the lane. Must have been close to ten times (10!) over the course of the game where a penetrating drive ended up getting an uncontested layup. I understand the player situation, where we have limited bigs, but there needs to be a price paid for an opponent driving the lane. Make them earn it from the line, make them feel uncomfortable getting in there so they don't want to come back. I'm not advocating "eye for an eye", but on a night where two of our own got sent to the hospital, it would have been nice to see "a message" sent when a Hawk drove the lane.

- This one is the most disturbing to me: Team gave up and did not play much of the second half. Yes, the officials were having a difficult night, and it certainly seemed to be the case that the calls were one-sided. That should not matter, needs to be some leadership on the sideline to get the players back onto the focus of the game. The complaining from the sideline was way over the top, which made its way onto the court so the players throwing their hands up. First 10 minutes of the second half it looked like the bench and players just wanted the game to end, completely gave up the fight. The focus was completely on the officials, when it needed to be on the task at hand, which was to play the game. There was a stretch of about the 10 minutes left, to 4 minutes left where the players pressed, there was an adjustment in the offensive set (to get double picks at the top), and it was working; turnovers were generated, baskets made, and the team closed the gap. Where was that for the beginning of the half?

The players take their cue from the coaching staff, and there was way too much worrying about the calls and not enough worrying about playing. What is to be accomplished? No official is going to change their mind, it's a distraction to the players - get them playing and not worrying about the next whistle.

The officiating was bad, very bad. I'm one that always leans towards the middle on this giving the officials the benefit of the doubt, but there were some really strange things in that game that seemed to defy logic. Case in point, not calling a foul when Garrett took one in the face was bad, then not recognizing the injury and stopping play after that was worse, forcing a URI intentional foul....bad bad stuff, what should have been a simple foul transformed itself into a double flagrant for each team and a near brawl.

Then yea, not granting the coach a time out not once, but TWICE down the stretch, that's outrageous. The officiating is not going to get better anytime soon, what official wants to work a game when the coach is complaining for an entire 40 minutes? Need to find a way to pick and choose the battles where to complain, I'm hoping that Saturday night was a low point, both from those on the court and the sideline.

Lost in all this, URI only lost the game by 9 points on a night where they couldn't get a call and had 4 players leave the game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The refs could save themselves some trouble, and toss the coach early if he starts in on them.

Maybe they would be fairer the rest of the way, knowing they aren't going to be bitched at on every call the rest of the game?

The refs are calling their own integrity into question, when the calls are so one sided, especially when they're against the HOME team.
0 x
MARhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MARhody »

Among other things, one of the worst things that crew did was to give the official "bench warning". The way it was done, running away to the scorers table to have them announce it....they basically gave coach the green light to go nuts the rest of the game since they weren't going to toss him. Did not change any behavior and in fact made it worse.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

MARhody wrote:Among other things, one of the worst things that crew did was to give the official "bench warning". The way it was done, running away to the scorers table to have them announce it....they basically gave coach the green light to go nuts the rest of the game since they weren't going to toss him. Did not change any behavior and in fact made it worse.
This is an interesting point, I've thought about. The bench warning should be a tool in the arsenal to keep the coach in check. Between Dan and the officials it has become a formal thing, almost like a scheduled TV timeout that kills its purpose
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

MARhody wrote:Long ride home Saturday night, too angry to post or read this thread yesterday. The three main reasons we lost that game are this:

- Could not connect on an outside shot. It just wasn't their night, thought maybe there were times they settled from the outside when they could have brought the ball inside, especially in the first half there were a lot of quick offensive chances where they took the first long shot.

- Too easy for St.J to drive the lane. Must have been close to ten times (10!) over the course of the game where a penetrating drive ended up getting an uncontested layup. I understand the player situation, where we have limited bigs, but there needs to be a price paid for an opponent driving the lane. Make them earn it from the line, make them feel uncomfortable getting in there so they don't want to come back. I'm not advocating "eye for an eye", but on a night where two of our own got sent to the hospital, it would have been nice to see "a message" sent when a Hawk drove the lane.

- This one is the most disturbing to me: Team gave up and did not play much of the second half. Yes, the officials were having a difficult night, and it certainly seemed to be the case that the calls were one-sided. That should not matter, needs to be some leadership on the sideline to get the players back onto the focus of the game. The complaining from the sideline was way over the top, which made its way onto the court so the players throwing their hands up. First 10 minutes of the second half it looked like the bench and players just wanted the game to end, completely gave up the fight. The focus was completely on the officials, when it needed to be on the task at hand, which was to play the game. There was a stretch of about the 10 minutes left, to 4 minutes left where the players pressed, there was an adjustment in the offensive set (to get double picks at the top), and it was working; turnovers were generated, baskets made, and the team closed the gap. Where was that for the beginning of the half?

The players take their cue from the coaching staff, and there was way too much worrying about the calls and not enough worrying about playing. What is to be accomplished? No official is going to change their mind, it's a distraction to the players - get them playing and not worrying about the next whistle.

The officiating was bad, very bad. I'm one that always leans towards the middle on this giving the officials the benefit of the doubt, but there were some really strange things in that game that seemed to defy logic. Case in point, not calling a foul when Garrett took one in the face was bad, then not recognizing the injury and stopping play after that was worse, forcing a URI intentional foul....bad bad stuff, what should have been a simple foul transformed itself into a double flagrant for each team and a near brawl.

Then yea, not granting the coach a time out not once, but TWICE down the stretch, that's outrageous. The officiating is not going to get better anytime soon, what official wants to work a game when the coach is complaining for an entire 40 minutes? Need to find a way to pick and choose the battles where to complain, I'm hoping that Saturday night was a low point, both from those on the court and the sideline.

Lost in all this, URI only lost the game by 9 points on a night where they couldn't get a call and had 4 players leave the game.

+1
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:When you say Thorr and Dooley need to sit down
with the coach and tell him "They have his back",
with no mention of toning his act down,
what other conclusion is there to draw?
Go back, move your index finger across the screen and read very slowly what I wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Thorr and Dooley need to have two conversations:
-- They need to tell Dan to turn it down and reassure him they have his back.
-- They need to sit down (minus Dan) with McGlade and show her a (ahem) highlight reel of the horsesh!t officiating we've been getting. If her response includes "Dan yells . . . " they need to show her slow-motion video of the criminal assault on Kuran and ask her how Dan should have reacted when the referees let his assailant stay in the game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would be nice to see Martelli and his Goon Squad go down at home to SBU this week.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is really starting to piss me off even further now that it is confirmed Garrett and Iverson will minimally miss the UMass game (and it could possibly be more). If URI had done this to the Hawks, Martelli and St Joe's would be complaining and causing an uproar. The league would probably kowtow and issue a statement and likely penalize URI somehow. Instead, since URI is one of the non-chosen neglected schools, all we get from the league is silence. When was the last time two players on the same team got forced out of a game and sent to the hospital and then missed future games? Has something like this ever happened in the A-10 before per anyone's memory?
0 x