The Patriot Way

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The Patriot Way

Unread post by rambone 78 »

New to football? Good one, TP.

Your rudeness knows no bounds, does it?

Sorry to offend your absolute knowledge of everything.

Possession of the ball, both feet inbounds.

That's a catch. What about a guy who has both tiptoes in, falling out of bounds with full possession of the ball? Does he have to hit the ground with possession?

Is there a time limit he has to have the ball before losing it? The rule on this, I know, is stupid and it needs to be changed.

I'm applying common sense to a rule that has no common sense.....

Adam, the calls did go both ways. There were a couple of PI calls that looked questionable against the Pats, and there were a couple that SHOULD have been called against them but weren't, especially one in the end zone in the second half.

And it isn't because I'm a G-men fan either.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:New to football? Good one, TP.

Your rudeness knows no bounds, does it?

Sorry to offend your absolute knowledge of everything.
It does not. Apology accepted.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rambone 78 wrote:What about a guy who has both tiptoes in, falling out of bounds with full possession of the ball? Does he have to hit the ground with possession?
To answer your question, YES!! He has to hit ground and MAINTAIN possession!

If a player is catching a ball on the sideline, they need to have two feet, PLUS clear control, PLUS maintain control through the end of the play which includes falling and rolling around on the ground.

So Beckham had the two feet, control of ball, but never maintained possession through the completion of the play.

It would have been incomplete no matter where or when it occurred on the field of play.

Didn't you hear Mike Carrey's explanation during the broadcast while the play was under review? He used the same exact phrasing as Ed Hochule eventually did when he announced the ruling.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Strange things happen when these teams meet. Nothing goes the way you think it will.
As a Pats fan, I kept saying throughout the game the the Pats didn't deserve to win this game. But, in retrospect, neither did the Giants. Too many missed and dropped passes.
After the game, Coughlin blamed his team for "not finishing it." I didn't hear him saying how poorly he managed the clock at the end. For a minute, I thought Pete Carroll took over the team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:What about a guy who has both tiptoes in, falling out of bounds with full possession of the ball? Does he have to hit the ground with possession?
To answer your question, YES!! He has to hit ground and MAINTAIN possession!

If a player is catching a ball on the sideline, they need to have two feet, PLUS clear control, PLUS maintain control through the end of the play which includes falling and rolling around on the ground.

So Beckham had the two feet, control of ball, but never maintained possession through the completion of the play.

It would have been incomplete no matter where or when it occurred on the field of play.

Didn't you hear Mike Carrey's explanation during the broadcast while the play was under review? He used the same exact phrasing as Ed Hochule eventually did when he announced the ruling.

Even Beckham himself admitted he blew it. He said he really did not completely understnad the rule.

Of course another horrible job by Eli Manning and the Giants with clock management at the end of the game.

Giants had the game in the bag and once again blew it with stupidity.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What screwed up the Giants was that the clock stopped at 2:01 after the Beckham play.

That one second basically gave the Pats another timeout.

That most likely saved them at least 40 seconds, if the Giants run the ball after the 2 minute warning.

Who knows if they would have, really?

There are so many coaches in the NFL that simply don't know how to manage the clock late in games.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Fair is fair. Hard fought game. At least Pats didn't win by a player magically pinning a ball to their helmet. zing. jk. I think I lost 10 more years off of my life while watching that game. Wonder what the likelihood is that Don Shula dies on the spot if Patriots actually finish the year undefeated...hmmm.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:What screwed up the Giants was that the clock stopped at 2:01 after the Beckham play.

That one second basically gave the Pats another timeout.

That most likely saved them at least 40 seconds, if the Giants run the ball after the 2 minute warning.

Who knows if they would have, really?

There are so many coaches in the NFL that simply don't know how to manage the clock late in games.
And Giant Coaches are the top of the Class in Clock Mismanagement. I loved watching the sideline in the last two minutes. Both Manning and his head coach had the deer in the headlights look.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Woah, easy Ramster. As long as Andy Reid is a head coach in the NFL everyone else is fighting for the silver medal in bad clock management.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Woah, easy Ramster. As long as Andy Reid is a head coach in the NFL everyone else is fighting for the silver medal in bad clock management.
You got me on that one
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Both Reid and Coughlin are good coaches, otherwise. You'd think they'd know better.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Well, 28-14 Eagles with 4 left in the 3rd.
Pats must've slept at the Ryan Center Suites last night.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

It all started with that brilliant onside kick. Worst performance I can remember.
What a horrible weekend.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The Patriots special teams coach has had a rough couple of weeks.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

yes. Plus, I don't think the offensive line coach will be asking for a raise anytime soon.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think the injuries are finally catching up with them. Easier for your defense and special teams to feel the pressure or to have more opportunities to give up big plays when your offense can't punch the ball in. The Broncos game, they're just a decent team and the Pats finally didn't get the benefit of luck. (i.e. They probably should have lost earlier than that in the season.) But after the Pats went up 14-0, the Eagles finally woke up from their two game, two quarter slump and decided to show up.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Pats are coming back to earth...their injuries have been the great equalizer....

Although I thought they were going to pull one out there at the end when the Eagles fumbled the ball away when they only had to fall on it....

These games are entertaining at least....

Right now, as a Giants fan, I feel like they are trying to steal our thunder...as URI fans are accustomed to losing in the most heartbreaking way possible...over and over again....

At least they have 4 SB wins....
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Next week, URI and the Pats vs Houston.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Pats can't afford another loss if they want home field thru the playoffs.

If they win their last 4 they will get it imo.

Going to depend if they get Gronk back like really soon. Amendola didn't look good last night, and he was limping.

Still have to think they will get to the Super Bowl, if they get these guys back from injury.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well if they win out they're guaranteed at least the #2 seed, because Denver and Cincinnatti play each other.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There are some real frauds in the NFL this year.

Like the Colts. With or without Luck.

Watch out for the Steelers. When they're on, they're on, like them or not.

So many just above or just below .500 teams. Just about all of them stink.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I don't see them going undefeated the rest of the way. That offensive line is a mess. They were better before the injured players returned. I see them having a lot of problems with Houston's defense ( Marcus, meet JJ).
If they can't get a bye, we may not see Edelman again until September.
Yesterday really hurt this team.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I hope the Pats don't have to play any more teams this year wearing green and white uniforms.
Looks like it's on to Miami.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only way the Pats and Jets play again would be in the AFC title game at Foxboro.

I will say, the NY teams are about the only teams that give the Pats fits on a regular basis, injuries or not.

Today the Pats outsmarted themselves.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Every week I say to myself that it's going to be hard for their offensive line to play worse. And, every week I'm wrong. They and those backup safeties are making me think it's going to difficult the rest of the way,even with the receivers coming back.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Pats will be in every game as long as Brady plays.

It's amazing how he always makes the plays at the end of games. Doesn't matter who's out there in the passing game. Almost doesn't matter who's playing on the O-line. Yeah they can't run. So what?

He didn't win today because he never saw the ball in OT.

They get everybody back, they will be the favorite to get to the SB. Right now I'd say the Cardinals might be their biggest threat if they get there too. That's a nasty defense.

I thought the Steelers were going to be a threat in the AFC playoffs. Now they probably aren't even going to get there.

Let's see, today the Seahawks, Pats, Steelers, Packers, and Panthers lost. That's a little unusual, to say the least.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Now the Pats have to beat Miami, never easy. If they don't, they don't deserve to be the top seed.
That Eagles game may come back to haunt them.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they don't beat Miami, I'll eat my computer, and I'm not a fan of the Pats.

They knew they could afford to rest players today, because I think they knew they were going to struggle to win this game. The Jets are a legit team.

They didn't need it. Everything they do has a purpose.

The rest of the AFC is weak. KC is a fraud, they will be exposed in the playoffs. The Bengals? Please.

The Broncos? Good D, no O. The Jets? Good, but not good enough. The Texans? Stop me from laughing.

The Steelers? I thought they were for real, but on the road they stink. Bye-bye.

The Pats will have a worthy opponent in the SB I think. If it's the Cardinals.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

What a shit show of a performance. No life. Looks like the Pats are happy with the 2 seed.
The way they're playing, it doesn't look like it'll matter.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What the hell is going on with the Patriots? Belichick shows up with a black eye. Gronk is not at practice today. Chandler Jones ODs at Gronk's house and goes to the hospital. Are these all related somehow? WTF! There's a playoff game in 4 days!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Whatever was up with Jones Sunday, he was practicing yesterday and today. And Gronk was in Florida this weekend.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Just to getaway from BB for a little while, wondering how people think the Pats will do tomorrow.

Every team left has serious injury issues. I really question the health of the returning players. I'm feeling now that the Pats could easily lose this one. This isn't the same team that started the season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

How is the 98.5 sports hub signal down at URI? If I go to the basketball game will I be able to listen to the Patriots on the way home or will it be tough until I get further north?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

WPRO AM
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

98.5 should be ok on the way home. For me it only breaks up south of Wakefield.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Here we go again. The next chapter in Brady vs. Manning. Part 17 I think. Of course it's a lot more than a one-on-one thing, but that's what the media plays up.

I would say the Pats fans on here think this is a Pats win.

I would say it's not a slam dunk.

Although, if Denver doesn't play better on offense than they did against the Steelers today, then the Pats probably do win. The dropped passes were ridiculous.

Home field plus the thin air plays to the Broncos advantage. The Pats are way better on offense, Denver's D is better.

Should be a heck of a game. Turnovers decide it, imo.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I'd feel a lot better if the game was here. And it should be.

By the way, Rambone, how did that computer taste after the great effort in Miami? Lol
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This game scares me a lot. We rarely play well in Denver and at home in the AFC championship game that crowd will be going absolutely nuts. I know the Peyton haters say he's done which I think he is close, but I'm afraid of one last big game against his rival. If the run game troubles us again I'm worried they will have the ball for long periods of time and keep the ball out of Brady's hand. All that being said I have all the faith in the world with a healthy Patriots team and Brady leading the way. Pats by 7
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Still waiting for the NFL to share the random spot checks for football PSI they promised. If THEY had any care for the integrity of the game, these measurements would be done in the most transparent way.

Instead, they will bury the data and the vast majority of football fans will continue to believe the Patriots and Brady actually did something to the footballs rather than simply bringing them from a warm room to a cold, wet field for a half of play.

Should be obvious now that the NFL, ignorant to middle-school science, misrepresented this situation and unfairly punished the Patriots because other owners are sick of the Patriots being so good. 5 consecutive AFC championship appearances and counting....

This year with all the additional checks on the footballs, Brady had an outstanding year (until his offense got hurt) and the team continued to protect the football, barely fumbling at all.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Patriots fans are the only ones still talking about PSI. Nobody cares outside of New England. They deflated the balls because Brady liked them that way and it had absolutely no affect on anything one way or the other. Who cares.

With that said, Pats might win by 80 on Sunday. You guys got nothing to worry about. Manning can't throw the ball more than 5 yards down field. I can't wait to win a lot of money on this game. 3.5 is a ridiculous line.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I'll never feel comfortable about a game in Denver. Too much history. Remember Mosi Tatupo's fumble years ago?
The Pats have to control Anderson running off left tackle, they're favorite run.
This is usually a home field series. Should be a great game. I'm surprised it's not the late game.
I know who the NFL is cheering for.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Patriots fans are the only ones still talking about PSI. Nobody cares outside of New England. They deflated the balls because Brady liked them that way and it had absolutely no affect on anything one way or the other. Who cares.

With that said, Pats might win by 80 on Sunday. You guys got nothing to worry about. Manning can't throw the ball more than 5 yards down field. I can't wait to win a lot of money on this game. 3.5 is a ridiculous line.
PSI is not in the news anywhere except with the NFL management and lawyers. On with football as the fans could care less about this stupid subject.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

85, it was tasty. Needed a little salt, that's all. :P

Time to talk about something less depressing.

Like tomorrow's NFL games.

I'm guessing Pats-Panthers SB, but I wouldn't bet the house on either.

Something wacky will happen tomorrow in one or both games. Just have a feeling.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

They should both be good games. However, if the Pats lose, I'll probably watch "I Love Kelly Pickler" or some other shit show

I don't like that everyone is picking the Pats. Everyone is usually wrong.
I do like that Denver won the first game. These things have a way of reversing in the playoffs. (Giants,Jets).
The Boston tv sports guys are such tools. No respect for the Broncos and Manning. He may not be able to throw deep. But, it's the short passes that hurt the Pats.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, but it help the Pats that he can't, imo.

They can focus on stopping the short ones, knowing that Manning can't throw deep.

Is it supposed to be windy? If so, that will hurt the Pats too.

Denver has a big edge in the running game.

It's all about turnovers though. If the Pats do that, they lose. They hardly ever do however.

Anyway, Denver has to score touchdowns to have a chance. Against the Pats, field goals won't cut it.

Against the Steelers, they dropped at least 6 passes. Do that tomorrow, and it's not close.

My prediction? I'm not a Pats fan as you know, but 27-16 Pats.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Since I'm always wrong with predictions, I'll pick the Broncos to win. I have no ideas what the score will be.
If the Pats win, all is good. If the Broncos win, I blame Belichick and the special teams coach for calling the dumbest play of the year in the Eagles game and not having home field advantage. They wouldn't lose here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think the loss to the Dolphins was worse.

They were lifeless. It's like they didn't want to win that game.

Of course, Belichick being Belichick, they were probably holding something back.

Or maybe they didn't want to risk more injuries. Who knows.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I can't wait to walk into my brothers house for the game today and have every person ask me what the hell happened in the GW game!!

Dolphins game was basically a preseason game no one played. Clearly our health was much more important and watching our last game we were a totally different team with a lot of people back. I hate when everybody picks my favorite team to win expect for the Patriots. They have the best coach in the league the best quarterback ever who now has all his weapons back. I predict Peyton is gone after halftime after the Pats go up 17-3. Brock gives them a spark off the bench and brings it to 20-13 going into the 4th. Everyone knows what happens then... Brady is close to perfect Pats win 34-23... Let's watch this team ACTUALLY finish and go to the super bowl!!!..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Good points. I think BB was more concerned with health in Miami than a win and having more injuries. Although, I think Gronk may have injured his back in that game. He used him as a detached,oh mostly in the last few games. All his patterns were along the sidelines. No crossing patterns. That was smart.
A perfect game for me will be a Pats win and seeing that cheap shot artist Ward carried off the field.
And, yes, today we'll see a team that CAN close out games.
0 x